It's been 365 days.......

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

It's been 365 days.......

Post by TheJON »

........since Iowa last lost a football game.

Who was the last team to beat the Hawks? The Fighting Zookers! Can't say I expected a team that was 5-4 at that point in the season to go more than an entire calendar year without losing a football game.

13 game win streak includes 2 wins over Top 5 ranked teams (at the time), wins over teams from 4 BCS conferences, 6 wins away from Kinnick Stadium, a bowl victory, an ESPN Gameday road victory, and 8 straight Big-10 conference wins.

Iowa is 3-0 vs non-Big 10 teams from BCS conferences in that streak and have outscored those 3 opponents by a combined 93-30. All 3 of those teams are bowl teams or will be bowl teams.

Only Florida has a longer winning streak.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: It's been 365 days.......

Post by TheJON »

I remember 1999-2000. That shit was fucking brutal. Remember storming the field after our 24-0 win over Northern Illinois. I think that was the game where the students decided it was a good idea to storm the field after every win (not sure why, though I was drunk that day so I joined in on it). That was September of 1999 and the next win didn't come until we beat Michigan State in October of 2000. I also recall storming the field in that game.

My how times have changed.......

I can't believe we're already at year 11 of the Kirk Ferentz era and I gotta admit I was one of the "what the fuck are we doing hiring Kirk Ferentz?" jerkoffs. In fairness, I was 18 years old at the time Kirk was hired so what the fuck did I know?

But I never woulda guessed this program would be where it is at right now. Definitely never thought Kirk would still be here. Figured he would have been fired long ago. But here we are, in the midst of a national title run, our 4th top 10 finish in 8 years and our 3rd Big-10 title well within reach. 1999-2000 seems like an eternity ago. I will never forget that win over Northwestern in 2000, however. It was the game that turned this program around. That 2000 team may have been 3-9, but they're the most important team in the Ferentz era.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Yes, I also remember when Iowon't was bringing up the basement of the Big 11.

I sure do miss those days.
Seems like Iowa loses to Western Michigan every time we have one of those years.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Mace wrote:I considered starting a R.I.P. Forest Evashevski thread today but didn't figure there was anyone here who would remember him or even know who he was. Evy was one of the great coaches of his era and had an ongoing feud with Woody Hayes. He was the only coach to take Iowa to a Rose Bowl and win....and he did it twice.
Hayden would have won a Rose Bowl if not for the fucking MAFIA!

By the way, why did Evy quit coaching football to become AD? He was a young guy back then. Never know where Iowa's program would be had he kept coaching.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Still doesn't excuse losing to WMU, idiot.
What excuse was I making? I just said we lost to WMU in a couple of the years we sucked. Don't make my comments out to be something they're not.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Thank God they found Hayden Fry when they did.
Exactly, because I was born soon after. I already have to root for the fucking Royals during baseball season, so it's nice to have something to not make me wanna drink on a daily basis during part of the year!
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

The last game Texas lost was also 365 days ago.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

txangler74 wrote:The last game Texas lost was also 365 days ago.
And props on that. Very good accomplishment, no doubt. You don't fluke your way to 13 straight wins (or 12, in Texas' case, I believe)
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Probably not, but you can schedule your way to twelve straight wins. Boise does it all the time.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Van wrote:Probably not, but you can schedule your way to twelve straight wins. Boise does it all the time.
Well, they did beat Oregon. Other than that, yeah, I suppose they really don't have any other good wins. But, like Cincinatti and TCU, if they go unbeaten they'll get a shot to prove their worth in a BCS Bowl.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Well, they'll at least get a chance to prove their worth against a dispirited SEC CCG loser, or a disconsolate Big 10 or Pac 10 runner up.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev