Deadline Deals '09

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Re: Deadline Deals '09

Post by jiminphilly »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:ultimately it still comes back to that debate using whatever metrics people wish to cite.

[mora] Metrics? You're talking about metrics? Metrics? [/mora]
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Don't be afraid to use your eyes and watch the two pitch.
to answer your question about stats… I think ERA and W/L are a good starting point.
Lee had a sub .500 record and an ERA of 3.14. The lack of sun support by the Indians is obvious. It might be a starting point but obviously never paints the best picture.

HOWEVER. At the end of the day, unless you've actually seen these guys pitch… you're not qualified to state unequivocally who's the best pitcher in the game. Got it? Any other stupid questions I can re-answer for you?
What team do you work for again that makes you any more qualified than anyone else on this board or elsewhere who doesn't work in the industry? Oh right.. you just think you know more because you might watch more games on tv or because you might attend a few more games at a stadium.

I don't really want to get into a pissing match with you over games watched.. I'm guessing you have a few years on me so the numbers will be off based simply on that. You may have even played legion or college ball which you also may feel provides you with some 'extra' insight into how good a player is.

Me? I'll just continue to watch the games I watch, read the box scores and other stats and create my own opinion on the matter.. because that's really all we're doing here.. stating our opinion. And no one here is trying to state they're any more qualified than the other in determing who's the best.. we're simply comparing stats.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

jiminphilly wrote:I'll just continue to watch the games I watch.

Why would you do that? Just throw out whatever stats fits your argument and run with it. Does it really matter that said stat tells us:
rozy wrote:The best pitcher in the NL in 1987 had an 8-16 record.
:lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Tigers add Aubrey Huff for a minor leaguer...nice!

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/arti ... p&c_id=det

I love the fact he's a left-handed bat and he can both corner infield positions as well as some outfield. I hope this means the end of Ryan Raburn. I was done with him before Sunday's distastrous 10th inning but I think the Tigers were finally done with him after that. With Inge and Cabrera banged up and a platoon situation in left field, he's going to have plenty of playing time at any of those positions in addition to DH.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Pudge Rodriguez re-acquired by the Rangers

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

I didn't know the Rangers were in the market for a player who can teach the youngsters how to effectively insert a needle full of Deca Durabolin into their asses. RACK them, I guess.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Yeah, that Cliff Lee guy is pretty good...4-0 with a sub-1.00 ERA since joining the Phils.

Interest comparison on MLB.com between Lee and Sabathia in their first 4 starts after being dealt by the Indians...both went 4-0 and have threw 33 innings but Lee is better in ERA, strikeouts, walks and hits allowed. Sabathia's tear after joining the Brewers was such a big deal last season but Lee has surpassed that so far.

Hey rozy, I'm sorry... :lol:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Maybe Lee is pretty good. I blame this all on Victor Martinez… apparently dude can't call a game to save his life. For a catcher, he makes an okay DH/1B. Beckett refuses to pitch to him, but Varitek was "hurt" the other night so it was Vmart behind the plate. Needless to say, it wasn't a stellar performance. I heard that Beckett is 14-2 with a 2.14 ERA when Tek is catching him this year.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:Yeah, that Cliff Lee guy is pretty good...4-0 with a sub-1.00 ERA since joining the Phils.

Interest comparison on MLB.com between Lee and Sabathia in their first 4 starts after being dealt by the Indians...both went 4-0 and have threw 33 innings but Lee is better in ERA, strikeouts, walks and hits allowed. Sabathia's tear after joining the Brewers was such a big deal last season but Lee has surpassed that so far.

Hey rozy, I'm sorry... :lol:

In all fairness, the Diamondbacks are a shitty shitty team. Even Jamie Moyer might have shut them down last night. They really miss BJ Upton.

As for Lee, that was the 2nd game he's started since the trade where he carried a no-hitter into the 6 inning (first was against the Giants). Regardless of the team, pitching into the 6th inning with a no-hitter in 2 of your last 3 starts and completing both games is just damn impressive.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

:lol: When a darn good troll job meets the blind squirrel.... :mrgreen:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Beckett gives up too many home runs. And he is great every other year. In the off year he's a 4.50 ERA. Not exactly "best pitcher over the past couple of years" material.

And as for Philly fan talking about the best pitcher they've witnessed for a while, I don't disagree. Then again the Philly rotation has cupped testicles for about a decade now so you're impressed easily.
why is my neighborhood on fire
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Bizzarofelice wrote: And as for Philly fan talking about the best pitcher they've witnessed for a while, I don't disagree. Then again the Philly rotation has cupped testicles for about a decade now so you're impressed easily.
Cliff Lee is no slump buster and if the latter half of your statement was correct than I'd be in here espousing the greatness of Pedro Martinez... you'll find no such thread. Try again.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Absolutely shameless, gratuitous, self-serving, self-proclaimed Scoreboard touting, back patting, humility defying, troll-job enhancing, Yankee meltdown instigating,
Shoalzie humiliating (per usualm), jizminafillie congratulating (when he's not booing Santa Clause), uCANdojeterpiazzastyle awakening

BUMP!!
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

rozy wrote:Absolutely shameless, gratuitous, self-serving, self-proclaimed Scoreboard touting, back patting, humility defying, troll-job enhancing, Yankee meltdown instigating,
Shoalzie humiliating (per usualm), jizminafillie congratulating (when he's not booing Santa Clause), uCANdojeterpiazzastyle awakening

BUMP!!

:hfal: