Home poker games...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Home poker games...

Post by Moby Dick »

so i usually have a poker game at my place once every month/3 weeksish..and i was wondering how you guys do your blinds (if you have a game)

me personally i start everyone off with 13k in chips

20 - 50$
20 - 100$
10 - 500$
5 - 1000$

(i bumped up the chip count from previous games i've had i used to give 10-50 100-100 and 5-500)

antes (with blinds going up every 20 min) ----> i use this to keep track of blinds, i usually have my laptop on the bar facing the table so everyone can see. it's also used for breaks. http://www.homepokertourney.com/timer/timers.htm

50/50
50/100
100/200
--break-- 5 minutes
200/400 Ante 50
250/500 Ante 50
500/750 Ante 100
--break-- 5 minutes
1000/1500 Ante 100
1500/3000 Ante 250
2.5k/5k Ante 250
--break-- 5 minutes
5k/10k Ante 500
10k/20k Ante 1k

(by the time the blinds are 5 and 10k the game is usualy heads up, assuming it's just one table)

any of you guys have home games?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: Home poker games...

Post by SunCoastSooner »

My friends and I have home games. Seems to me you're starting the antes too soon for a one table game to be honest. Our methods vary depending on the size of the tourny which tend to be at least 3 tables and sometimes as many as 6.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

SunCoastSooner wrote:My friends and I have home games. Seems to me you're starting the antes too soon for a one table game to be honest. Our methods vary depending on the size of the tourny which tend to be at least 3 tables and sometimes as many as 6.

wow..3 to 6 would be nice. the most i've ever had at a home game is 10. Half of which are total donks who think we cheat because they just can't seem to win a tourny. go figure :meds:

when would you suggest to start antes? after the 2nd hour?
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

$25 buy-in........10 players. Winner gets $200. 2nd gets $50.

I shoot for once a month, but it usually ends up being closer to once every 6-7 weeks. Typically on a Saturday night.

We play 2 tournaments a night.

First game we play is NL Hold 'em. $3,000 in chips. Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 12 minutes. We actually stop increasing blinds once they get to 300/600. That allows late play.

2nd game is PL Omaha Hi. Same blind structures.

I bought a nice poker table at a store just down the street and when I was in there the other day I saw a sweet new one at a good price and I'm thinking about going to get it tomorrow. We're planning on playing tomorrow night. It's got a blue felt as opposed to the green one I currently have and it's a bit bigger. We are too crowded with the table I've got and 10 players.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Moby Dick wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:My friends and I have home games. Seems to me you're starting the antes too soon for a one table game to be honest. Our methods vary depending on the size of the tourny which tend to be at least 3 tables and sometimes as many as 6.

wow..3 to 6 would be nice. the most i've ever had at a home game is 10. Half of which are total donks who think we cheat because they just can't seem to win a tourny. go figure :meds:

when would you suggest to start antes? after the 2nd hour?

With the way you have your tourny structured after the second break would be optimal. Unless you're just cramming as many tourny's into an evening as possible. 13k in chips seems like a bit of overkill for such a small gathering as well. The entire point to tournies is the outcome is based on a few critical plays and by basically giving away massive amount of play it encourages much more reckless play.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

When I run a tourney in the neighborhood clubhouse I usually get between 4/5 tables about 7 each...I usually do

4-6k in chips with 20-25 minute levels...I need a decent combination of speed/play...allows for some early play...my blinds usually follow this (no antes some of the folks are too stupid to do this)

25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
150/300
200/400
300/600

when I get to the 1000 level I go up 500...kind of weird but it works
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

TheJON wrote:2nd game is PL Omaha Hi.
My friends and I have a name for people who play PL in home games...

We call them "fucking idiots."

Fun to watch drunk fools try to keep track of the pot... once. After that, it gets pretty old.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

I play 3-4 tournaments a week, and I have enough chips, chairs and tables to host a 20 player tournament.

If you host a big tournament, a "Poker Genie" blind clock is a must have.

We generally play $30 buy in for what amounts to a 2050 chips. We run 15 minute blinds. Rebuys are allowed thru 50-100

each player starts with....
10 blue chips (10)
10 red chips (25)
7 green chips (100)
2 black chips (500)

Our blind structure is

10-20
20-40
40-80
50-100
break
100-200
200-400
300-600
400-800
500-1000
1000-2000
2000-4000

we rarely get much further than that

1st place gets 60%

Depending on how big the field is we pay up to 5 places. Generally the last money position gets their money back.

Do any of you guys play a 7-2 jackpot?

Win a hand with a 7-2 and you win the pot. If it is with a bluff, you must show your bluff to get the pot.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Doug near DC wrote:
Do any of you guys play a 7-2 jackpot?

Win a hand with a 7-2 and you win the pot. If it is with a bluff, you must show your bluff to get the pot.
We do high hand, rarely an aces cracked side, ... when a tourny is large enough and there is a small group talking shit sometimes there are some last man standing side bets.
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

Some of the guys do a "last man standing" pot here.

I play a couple of times a week on the "Stars N Bars" poker series. www.snbpoker.com It's free poker, played at a bunch of the local sports bars in the area. If you win 2 nightly events, you are qualified for a regional tournament. If you make the final table at a regional, you are qualified for the annual tourney. Win that, and you have a seat at the WSOP.

I'm playing today in a charity tournament. $40 buy in gets you 6000 chips. Rebuys or add ons are $25, but you only get 3000 chips. They are taking half off the top for breast cancer research. But with over 100 players, there will be a decent pot.

The tables look good, I feel good. I like my chances. :D
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Doug near DC wrote:If you make the final table at a regional, you are qualified for the annual tourney. Win that, and you have a seat at the WSOP.

Couple of years ago, a buddy of mine was playing for the WSOP seat. Final table, head-to-head.

Flopped quads.

Got all the chips in the middle (they were stacked fairly equally).

Lost to the straight flush.

What a way to go down.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dinsdale wrote:
Doug near DC wrote:If you make the final table at a regional, you are qualified for the annual tourney. Win that, and you have a seat at the WSOP.

Couple of years ago, a buddy of mine was playing for the WSOP seat. Final table, head-to-head.

Flopped quads.

Got all the chips in the middle (they were stacked fairly equally).

Lost to the straight flush.

What a way to go down.
I saw a straight flush beat by a royal about a year ago for seat at the Gulf Coast Poker Championship in Biloxi.