Ichiro,400?

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Ichiro,400?

Post by Trampis »

Hes got as good a shot as anyone.Dude is batting over 500 in spring training,as well as getting a hit in every spring training game so far.He can do it.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I'm sure Ted Williams god rest his soul,is THRILLED a Jap is flirting with .400.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

If anyone is going to do it, it'll be Ichiro.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The Assassin wrote:I'm sure Ted Williams god rest his soul,is THRILLED a Jap is flirting with .400.
I imagine Ted would be quite frosted at the thought.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Re: Ichiro,400?

Post by jiminphilly »

Trampis wrote:Hes got as good a shot as anyone.Dude is batting over 500 in spring training,as well as getting a hit in every spring training game so far.He can do it.
Has he surpassed Ricky Henderson as the best lead off hitter of all time?

I don't think so but the guy is a great table setter..
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

BSmack wrote:
The Assassin wrote:I'm sure Ted Williams god rest his soul,is THRILLED a Jap is flirting with .400.
Word is he lost his head over it.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

jiminphilly wrote:
Trampis wrote:Hes got as good a shot as anyone.Dude is batting over 500 in spring training,as well as getting a hit in every spring training game so far.He can do it.
Has he surpassed Ricky Henderson as the best lead off hitter of all time?

I don't think so but the guy is a great table setter..

Rickey is the greatest leadoff man of all-time no matter what Ichiro does the rest of his career. For Rickey to lead or be near the top all-time in steals, walks, runs scored and lead-off home runs...he's got the resume that answers to no one.

Ichiro is probably the best contact hitter in the game right now but doesn't have the power of Henderson nor does he walk as much or steal as many bases. Ichiro has the edge on Rickey in hitting and the two are about even on runs and RBI. Of all of the leadoff hitters currently playing, there's no doubt I take him.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

BSmack wrote:
He might crack up over it.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Ichiro will NOT get 250 hits and that'll have to happen considering who he has batting behind him now..he's going to have about 425-450 ABs..
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Moby Dick wrote:Ichiro will NOT get 250 hits and that'll have to happen considering who he has batting behind him now..he's going to have about 425-450 ABs..
In the words of an old board bud of mine....Huh?
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:Rickey is the greatest offensive player of all-time
FTFY, I think.

but doesn't have the power of Henderson
FWIW, The Rickey has a .420 SLG, Ichiro .443......emphasis on the "FWIW."

And Rickey had a better OBP at ages 40-42 than Ichiro has put up in the prime of his career.

If I'm putting together a team, be it an All-Time list, or a current roster, it might be oversimplifying it, but I want the guy with the highest OBP leading off.

Of all of the leadoff hitters currently playing, there's no doubt I take him.
Solid point, but......how many WS has he led his team to? There's this guy in New York that is at present a lead-off hitter, and if you look at the statistical averages in the categories you used to judge LO hitters here, is a smidge behind Ichiro in BA and steals, but has a better OBP and SLG, and quite a few more runs scored per game in the games he's played as a lead-off hitter. Also CRUSHES Suzuki in HRs and RBIs per game as a lead-off hitter.

For my money, leading off is all about OBP. Getting HUGE clutch hits doesn't hurt, either.

Makes Ichiro the second-best lead-off hitter in the game.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

rozy wrote:
Moby Dick wrote:Ichiro will NOT get 250 hits and that'll have to happen considering who he has batting behind him now..he's going to have about 425-450 ABs..
In the words of an old board bud of mine....Huh?
What Roxy said......

Seems to me, that the M's are bringing some freaking bats to the table this year.

Additionally, they're bringing few arms. Follow me here.......if they can't score big on any given day with that mashing lineup, they're going to get blown out, and blown out big. Therefore, opponents are going to rest their better arms on an occasion against the M's, possibly creating a batting-practice opportunity for them. Sure, they'll lose lots of games 14-10, but I seriously doubt lack of offense will be the Mariner's problem.

But when my man Bucky Jacobsen comes back, WATCH THE FUCK OUT!
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Ted Williams did not hate the Japanese. Ted was a soldier, an officer during WW II and the Korean War. Colonel Williams flew fighter planes. He loved his country but even more, Ted loved challenge. Whatever he did, he did the absolute best. It was not personal against the other team, the other country, the fish, etc..

Ted always did his best and encouraged others to be better so that they could challenge him. Ted used to chastise Joe Dimaggio for not keeping in better shape.

Dude hit 521 Home Runs in 16 years. 5 years he did not play because he was serving his country during war.

Remember, Ted was friends with Tony Gwynn when Tony nearly hit .400. He was mentoring him the whole season.

Ted would be impressed with Ichiro and probably mentor him to do better.

I bet he would ask Ichiro, ''Have you ever smelled the bat burning?''
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:Getting HUGE clutch hits doesn't hurt, either.
Brilliant.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ichiro is 13th in OBP.

13th.

Pretty sad for the dude who is suppoed to be "the best leadoff hitter in baseball."

When dude actually learns how to take a pitch, he might be more than smoke and mirrors.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Jack wrote:
Ted Williams did not hate the Japanese. Ted was a soldier, an officer during WW II and the Korean War. Colonel Williams flew fighter planes. He loved his country but even more, Ted loved challenge. Whatever he did, he did the absolute best. It was not personal against the other team, the other country, the fish, etc..

Ted always did his best and encouraged others to be better so that they could challenge him. Ted used to chastise Joe Dimaggio for not keeping in better shape.
Apparently they never swapped tips on fatherhood.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

*BUMP*

Just thought this interesting to see this thread still on the first page. Safe to say he's not going to do it this year. He's down to .294. For any other hitter, that's a solid average but for Ichiro...that's called a slump. His on base percentage is only .336, tied for 49th in the AL. Now you've got a power hitter like Derrek Lee hitting .393...go figure.