Pittsburgh in 6

Anaheim in 6
Vancouver in 6
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 2009 Playoffs -- Conference Semifinals

Post by Shoalzie »

Some quick takes now that everyone has played...

Canucks-Blackhawks: The Canucks look sharp early in both games but the Hawks have been able to respond and score in waves. In the last 4 periods, Chicago has put 8 goals past Bobby Lu. The Hawks have yet to lose at the United Center and so the last thing the Canucks wanted to do was split at home.

Red Wings-Ducks: Brown doesn't get suspended for the hit on Hudler but really, the cut was cause more by the helmet cutting Hudler than the actual hit. The precedent had been set for these questionable hit resulting in a suspension...a bit of a surprise that the league didn't get him for at least one game. For the game itself, it was all about the Wings' power play. What's impressive is that they didn't seem to miss Rafalski all that much and they won't have him for Game 2 either. This is going to be nip-and-tuck throughout the series so I expect another close game tomorrow.

Bruins-Hurricanes: It was pretty much a no-doubter in Game 1 and I don't expect the Bruins to have a hard time moving on. The Canes might steal a game from them at the most.

Capitals-Penguins: Game 1 lived up the hype of the series but it was the lesser-known names stealing the show...Varlamov, Steckel and Fleischmann were the heroes for the Caps today. Ovechkin did get a goal but so did Crosby. This series may come down to which supporting cast comes through if the superstars cancel each other out.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Wings and Bruins both down 2-1...definitely stunned at how plucky the Hurricanes have been. Is there a more clutch player in this year's playoff than Jussi Jokinen? For the sake of entertainment, I'm glad the Pens took the game last night. A sweep in that particular series would've been bad for business.

I'm predicting both the Wings and Hawks even up their series tonight. I consider tonight a big game for the Hawks because I think it would be very hard to have to beat Luongo three straight times to survive and advance. The Wings could still comeback from down 3-1 considering how close this series has been and they'll have two of the final three games at the Joe.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Shoalzie wrote:The Wings and Bruins both down 2-1...definitely stunned at how plucky the Hurricanes have been.

Not that the Bruins weren't totally outplayed, but Carolina really put the pressure on after Boston lost Ference and were left with just 5 defensemen. Furthermore, the Samsonov goal happened mostly before a RH defenseman couldn't clear the puck where it would have been an easy play by the LH Ference. Carolina flat out wore the Bruins down the last 2 periods and OT as they were pummelled 2 to 1 in shots on goal after the 1st.

The Bruins lack of production on the PP is really killing them. 0 for their last 16 or some bullshit. That's awful.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: The Bruins lack of production on the PP is really killing them. 0 for their last 16 or some bullshit. That's awful.
There isn't a single clutch player on your team. A lot of stat-padders, but nobody with the balls to come through on the business end.

Speaking of business ends, find yourself at the business end of a shotgun balst, you fucking pansy. Your shit club is about to find itself watching the NHL on NBC for its fix.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie wrote:I'm predicting both the Wings and Hawks even up their series tonight.

Ka-ching! 8)

Real happy with the Wings going off on Hiller. The line of Filppula-Franzen-Hossa absolutely dominated the game. I think Babs should stick with that line and it'll only be a matter of time before the Euro Twins have a big night now that they are reunited. I don't see the Wings looking back in this series...they'll rip off the next two to advance to another conference finals.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Wings and Bruins move on tonight...book it!