2009 World Baseball Classic

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

2009 World Baseball Classic

Post by Shoalzie »

The provisional 45-man rosters for each team participating in the '09 will be announced tonight at 6 p.m. The final 28-man rosters are announced on February 24.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

I thought the first tournament worked out well...other than the fact the American team pooped their pants. The all-Far East final wasn't great for TV but I liked the concept behind this event.

Here the guys that have committed to playing for Team USA:

SP: Scott Kazmir, John Lackey, Roy Oswalt, Jack Peavy

RP: Jonathan Broxton, Brian Fuentes, J.P. Howell, Matt Lindstrom, Joe Nathan, J.J. Putz, B.J. Ryan, Scott Sheilds, Matt Thornton

C: Brian McCann, Chris Iannetta

IF: Mark DeRosa, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Dustin Pedroia, Jimmy Rollins, David Wright, Kevin Youkilis

OF: Ryan Braun, Curtis Granderson, Brad Hawpe, Grady Sizemore

A-Rod turned tail is playing for the Dominican team after waivering about who he played for in the first tournament. When you've got a guy like David Wright or Chipper Jones to fall back on at third, the Dominicans can have A-Rod.

A pretty strong starting lineup is taking shape out of these guys alone. My batting order would be:

1. Rollins, SS
2. Pedroia, 2B
3. Wright, 3B
4. Braun, LF
5. Sizemore, CF
6. Jones, DH
7. Youkilis, 1B
8. Granderson, RF
9. McCann, C

EDIT: Link to Team USA's roster
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/wbc_09/roster.jsp?team=940

Notable additions: Carlos Quentin, Justin Verlander, Evan Longoria, Shane Victorino, Ted Lilly
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Re: 2009 World Baseball Classic

Post by Loganfan »

The Carribean Classic is going on right now, before the WBC kicks in.

MLB Network is airing the games. Got to see the Brothers Gonzalez errr........Team Mexico beat PR last evening
R.I.P. Dennard/BP/Scritti
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Final rosters announced...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Team USA:
http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2009/rosters/ind ... eason=2009

Solid lineup, a few quality starters and a very good bullpen...they should have a better run than in 2006.

To me, the early favorite appear to be Venezuela.
Loganfan
Anti-Spam Fan

Post by Loganfan »

Shoalzie wrote:

LOL.....

Sin,
Team USA
R.I.P. Dennard/BP/Scritti
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Loganfan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:

LOL.....

Sin,
Team USA

Team USA looks damn good right now...Japan and Puerto Rico also looked impressive over the weekend. Venezuela fell apart once Galarraga came out of the game. I didn't think the Dominicans would play like they gave a crap and I think from seeing the Dutch smoke them, that proved that theory to be true.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

When the hell did the Dutch even learn how to play baseball let alone form a team?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Laxplayer wrote:When the hell did the Dutch even learn how to play baseball let alone form a team?

It pays to have a couple islands in the Caribbean that can play hardball. Looking at the roster, it looks like they have quite a few guys that are actually from the Netherlands...they didn't just load up on guys from Curacao or Aruba. Kind of a trip to see a couple former Tigers...Gene Kingsale and Randall Simon. What's funny is that Andruw Jones isn't even playing on this team.

Thanks for coming, D.R.
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

You mean the Philadelphia Phillies are not World Champions?? snicker snicker Must really piss Americans off they have not won this tournament yet.

Japan twice in a row. Yeah! Japan has had a history of baseball as have most Caribbean countries, not just in America contrary to popular belief. I like this WBC as it gets a true World Champion and not the city that wins it only in the US.

But I guess since the Americans did not win they will still consider the Philadelphia Phillies 'World Champions'?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The World Baseball Classic just isn't on par with Olympic hockey and basketball or World Cup soccer as far as each country gets the absolute best players on their roster. Would the Americans have beaten Japan if they had the best of the best? They would've at least had a better shot. They could've sent a very good B-Team of guys that opted not to play or who were nursing injuries.

The Japanese can pitch and they can beat you without hitting the ball out of the park. I don't think you can pick against them in any international tournament going forward because right now, no one is on their level. I think we're seeing right now that it's all about style of play and the Japanese win with good pitching, defense, speed and playing station-to-station. No country does it better than them.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Shoalzie wrote:The World Baseball Classic just isn't on par with Olympic hockey and basketball or World Cup soccer as far as each country gets the absolute best players on their roster. Would the Americans have beaten Japan if they had the best of the best? They would've at least had a better shot. They could've sent a very good B-Team of guys that opted not to play or who were nursing injuries.

The Japanese can pitch and they can beat you without hitting the ball out of the park. I don't think you can pick against them in any international tournament going forward because right now, no one is on their level. I think we're seeing right now that it's all about style of play and the Japanese win with good pitching, defense, speed and playing station-to-station. No country does it better than them.
Take last year's Phillie championship team in the month of October and match them up with Japan's "small ball" game and Japan gets bitch-slapped 4-1 in a best of 7. Not even close.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Shoalzie wrote:The World Baseball Classic just isn't on par with Olympic hockey and basketball or World Cup soccer as far as each country gets the absolute best players on their roster. Would the Americans have beaten Japan if they had the best of the best? They would've at least had a better shot. They could've sent a very good B-Team of guys that opted not to play or who were nursing injuries.

Take last year's Phillie championship team in the month of October and match them up with Japan's "small ball" game and Japan gets bitch-slapped 4-1 in a best of 7. Not even close.