m2's steals of the 2009 draft .

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: m2's steals of the 2009 draft .

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Van wrote:To the rest of your point, yeah, I pretty much do "hate" everything; at least everything that's truly popular these days. I enjoy quite a few things, but at least where books/films/music/tv are concerned the things I enjoy usually aren't all that popular.
Well... good. I know this isn't football related, but I am glad you're able to find things that entertain you. You had me worried for a minute there. So what if you have to look harder than most to find them, right?

Fuck what's "popular."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

For example, I love your avatar.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

peter dragon wrote:Image

steal of the draft.. no question about it.. 38th pick wow!

I believe the Bengals snatching Chase Coffman with the 98th pick is a steal. I'm biased but I truly do believe he'll be a great player for years.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

mvscal, the '86 Pats also made the playoffs, with a very legitimate 11-5 record. Even the '84 Pats who missed the playoffs, they sported an Arizona Cardinals-esque Super Bowl team 9-7 record.

The Chiefs? Fuck, man, the '68 Chiefs who didn't go to the Super Bowl were 12-2. They went to the playoffs and they were better than the '69 team who won the whole enchilada. That same Chiefs team also made it to the Super Bowl twice in four seasons, and they were in the playoffs three of those four seasons....back when it was much more difficult to get into the playoffs.

The Niners? They were a fucking dynasty. When they were good they were good for a long time, going to the playoffs just about every year for the better part of fifteen years. They won another Super Bowl even after Walsh was gone. They continued to go to the playoffs under Mariucci. It wasn't until the Yorks took over and Mariucci got canned that they finally fell into the shitter.

Thanks for proving my point.

The point you're trying way too hard to miss here is the very obvious trend in recent years for teams to pogostick all over the map.

Look at that list I gave you. Look how dominated it is by teams from the current era.

Look at the teams you just listed. Look at the '79 Rams. Yeah, they only had a 9-7 record, but during that era they were in the playoffs eight straight seasons. That was one consistently badass team.

Besides the recent Pats, Colts and Steelers, and maybe the Giants too, we just aren't seeing anything like the same sort of consistency anymore. We're seeing way too many one year wonders, who were there strictly as a result of a favorable schedule and all the stars aligning just right.

If you don't see this trend, well, you're an idiot. You may not mind this trend, and that's fine, but don't try to deny it.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Van wrote: The problem with the (modern) NFL is nothing there energizes me nearly as much as what's good about CF. What I love about CF, there's nothing in the (modern) NFL that can touch it.
Such as's and for instances, please.

What's so compelling about CF that nothing in the modern day NFL can touch?

Nevermind that Pro-football is and will always be Pro-football and that amateur football is and will always be amateur football.

Or were you just talking about schools like U$C and semi-pro football?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

War Wagon wrote:
Van wrote: The problem with the (modern) NFL is nothing there energizes me nearly as much as what's good about CF. What I love about CF, there's nothing in the (modern) NFL that can touch it.
Such as's and for instances, please.

What's so compelling about CF that nothing in the modern day NFL can touch?
Fall, in The Shoe, and it's Ohio State-Michigan, and not a goddamn other thing matters.

The Red River Shoot Out, and we've got Okies and Texans seriously hatin' on each other.

The Iron Bowl, and an entire state shuts down and chooses sides.

Seniors playing in the final game, and it's all or nothing against their most hated rival. Not only will they never get to play those guys again, they may never set foot again on any football field. Their entire football lives come to a head, in one clearly defined moment. Even if they merely go on to become accountants they might be forever known as heroes, in their home town. They beat State, that one time, when everything was on the line.

Cross town rivalries and split stadiums, with both teams wearing their home unis, and the night time fog rolling in over the lip of the stadium, the stadium lights making the fog look like the March Of The Dead, a la USC-UCLA.

The cannon fire and the marching in of the cadets and middies, for Army-Navy. Young people actually behaving and showing respect, to honored institutions.

College co-eds with blue and gold woolen scarves and little four leaf clover decals on their cheeks, crying their eyes out when Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart broke their hearts.

Those same co-eds pissing themselves in ecstacy when ND is suddenly wearing green jerseys as they run out of the tunnel, beneath Touchdown Jesus.

The 12th Man, at A&M, and they won't sit down for nuthin.'

The USC Song Girls, dancing after the Rose Bowl, in front of that band, to those songs, with thousands and thousands of people holding up the "V" for victory sign, and all the players with roses in their mouths, saluting the fans.

Senior Day, when the players and their parents walk out together onto the field, one by one, to one final roar of the crowd.

Saturday night in Baton Rouge, with 95,000 shitfaced cajuns setting off seismographs across the state when LSU scores, completing a miraculous comeback.

You, two years ago, and your nearly out-of-your-mind bloodlust in the lead up to the Kansas-Missouri game at Camarohead.

The NFL is badass, absolutely, but it will never equal the feel of CF. It'll never be the singular event, the way it is in those small town college atmospheres. It's a paycheck, vs a passion.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Alrighty then...

Van 7
Wags 3

Game over.
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Van wrote:The Niners? They were a fucking dynasty. When they were good they were good for a long time, going to the playoffs just about every year for the better part of fifteen years. They won another Super Bowl even after Walsh was gone. They continued to go to the playoffs under Mariucci.
And if we were back in 1980 you'd be saying Bill Who? The 49ers are a joke because of their culture of losing. Nobody can ever turn them around because they've always sucked.

The fact is that they, like all of the other dynasties you've mentioned you adore had one thing in common- a new coach with a new philosophy who changed the culture of the team he inherited. That and clueless bitches like you saying it couldn't be done, things could never change, because their culture is one of losing.

But by all means, keep harping on the past and repeating 9-7 (ignoring winning 3 playoff games os underdogs) and generally talking out of your ass. I'm fine with being a play away from the title in Whisenhunt's second season. Playing against a team he helped to create. And like the Cards, I like being underestimated.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dio wrote:And like the Cards, I like being underestimated.
Like the Cards, it nearly always proves to be well deserved.

Kinda cool, though, to hear you now using the "culture" line, after dismissing it when I used it.

Anyway, for the record, I'm pulling for the Cardinals. I have NO IDEA WHY, but the Cards have ALWAYS been my second favorite NFL team.

I liked Terry Metcalf. That's about the only reason I can offer.

I hope they do keep this thing turned around. I hope they go back to the Super Bowl, and win it. I seriously do. I'd then like to see them sustain their success, like the Niners did. I'd love that. I'm pulling for it. If it happens, I'll be thrilled. Well, about as much as anything in the NFL can thrill me, these days.

I'll be bummed if they miss the playoffs this year. I will. It'll piss me off. I don't think they will. Their division is just too horrible. Somebody has to win it, and the Cards are the most talented team in that division, plus they've now had a taste of success. They should be back.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

If you look back, it was your implication that a team's culture was set in stone I dismissed. The culture isn't historical, it comes from the coaching staff and organization. And these ain't Denny Green's Cards.

For the record, I've been following the Cards since growing up in Phoenix in the mid 70s (the original Air Coryell team) since there was no home team to root for. So I'm probably the Original Arizona Cardinals fan.

And since you wanted a prediction, I'll give you a different one-barring significant injuries, they won't lose a single game where they have a positive takeway/turnover ratio. As was the case last year. This team can beat any team in the NFL-as long as they don't beat themselves.

ImageImage
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dio, I've been following them since the Jim Hart days. With rare exceptions, they've never had a strong running game. They haven't had once since they've been in Arizona.

Don't give me turnover ratio predicated predictions. We all know that's the single most important stat in football. Of course the team that wins the turnover battle will be a safe bet to do well.

Give me a prediction on what we were talking about: their running game. I said they'd remain in the bottom five, and that Beanie wouldn't even approach 1000 yards. Last time I checked, they'd re-signed Warner, LF is still there and even Boldin is still there. They're going to remain a passing dominated team.

What's your prediction? ("Prediction" means you make a guess at something, before it happens.)

Oh, and for the record, I'll say they go 10-6 this season. Maybe even 11-5. This is assuming their key people don't get hurt, of course. I expect them to again go 6-0 in that sorry ass division, and I don't expect them to go 3-7 again outside the division. I expect a little improvement there.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The point of the prediction is that, unlike your portrayal of them as a weak team who were only in the playoffs because of a weak division (and btw I expect both SF and Seattle to be much better this year), they are in fact a team that can beat any and every team in the NFL unless they beat themselves. I won't make any predictions until I see them play in preseason, but based on what I see so far my expectation is that they will be right in the middle of the NFL in rushing, 1-3 in total offense, 10-15 in defense, will win at least 7 games at home, 11 total and the division and make at least the NFC Championship game.

And Wells will go over 1000 easily.

ImageImage
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Nixhex wrote:
peter dragon wrote:Image

steal of the draft.. no question about it.. 38th pick wow!

I believe the Bengals snatching Chase Coffman with the 98th pick is a steal. I'm biased but I truly do believe he'll be a great player for years.
I agree with you, I think he is a stud and will do well in the AFCN. but Im not sure he was drafted much different than where people expected him to be. I would have given Cinnci's draft an A+ till they drafted a punter in the 5th.. A-..B+ now.. I was watching that and when I saw the punter go across the screen I was like WTF? but then its still Mike Brown and he loves local talent... at least he seemed to step back and let Marvin Lewis make most of this draft his own.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dio, what on earth do you hope to learn from the preseason, where the only thing that truly matters is who got injured?

As for this...
...if he blows right through 1000 yards, as in, say, a 1200+ yard season, then hell yeah, Arizona is winning eleven games. Arizona's offense would be a serious bitch if they could ever pair that sort of a running attack with that passing game.

As for expecting Frisco and Seattle to be much improved, why? Frisco is again starting over, with yet another new offensive coordinator, this time with a 95 year old perennial retread who's never won squat. The guy was in mothballs, and Singletary yanked him out of retirement. Singletary is essentially a rookie HC. They still have no QB, and an untested rookie is their best hope at wide out.

What's going to be so much different?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Van wrote:Dio, what on earth do you hope to learn from the preseason, where the only thing that truly matters is who got injured?
Like I said, I want to see how much their pass defense has improved, whether one of their TEs stands out, and how their rookies look against real football players as opposed to CFB wannabees.
Van wrote:As for this...
...if he blows right through 1000 yards, as in, say, a 1200+ yard season, then hell yeah, Arizona is winning eleven games. Arizona's offense would be a serious bitch if they could ever pair that sort of a running attack with that passing game.

You do know that Edge got over 1000 both seasons prior to last year? I don't know if Wells will get to 1200 mainly because Hightower will be getting the ball on 3rd downs. It depends on how solid the defense is, letting them get early leads and run out the clock ar rhe end of the game.

Van wrote:What's going to be so much different?
Josh Morgan is better than people think (the only reason he got so little playing time is that he was behind Johnson and Bruce), With Johnson and the new kid and Davis at TE that's a decent WR corps. And Gore is still dangerous. As far as Mike being a rookie HC, he's a rookie who can motivate. I don't see them challanging for the division but my instinct is that they aren't going to be the doormats everyone expects. As far as Seattle, they were banged up most of last year.

ImageImage