RACK my first Opening Day and RIP Harry Kalas...tits up

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Screw_Michigan

RACK my first Opening Day and RIP Harry Kalas...tits up

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Got home from work today around 1 pm to slam some grub when I turned on the tv to hear that legendary Phils broadcaster Harry Kalas collapsed in the broadcast booth at Nats Park and was taken to the hospital. Somber news. Then, after already doing a moment of silence for Silver Spring, Md., native Nick Adelhart, I saw all the Phils line up in front of their dugout and thought the worse. Yep, Kalas went tits up. Very, very sad. One of the most legendary voices of all time, and I will surely miss him on Westwood One's Sunday Night NFL broadcasts. I remember his call when the Phils won the 93 NLCS (I was a much bigger Phils fan that season than last year as I had moved to the District and renounced anything that had to do with that rotting shithole up 95): "Now the stretch...3-2 pitch...struck him out! The Phillies...are the 93...National..League..Champions!"

Opening Day was nice, but somber, anyway. Weather turned out pretty good, was forcasted low 50s but I think it hit mid 50s and the sun was out for a while. Late arriving crowd (typical for DC, much had to do with Metro not adding additional subway cars for the ballpark rush), but everything was great. Good seats and an entertaining game, unfortunately, the Nats' bullpen is almost as horrible as Detroit's and they can't do the little things right. Booting easy ground balls that are turnable, etc. Oh well. 0-7, they'll win one soon enough.

RACK baseball in the District, you worthless fucksticks!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: RACK my first Opening Day and RIP Harry Kalas...tits up

Post by Shoalzie »

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych found dead

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4065778

What a sad year for the Tiger family...George Kell and now this.

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

The Philly area is in a total state of shock. I listened to the game on the internet and the radio guys were having trouble keeping their composure early on.

There are new guys coming up who have good voices but there are very few who are like Kalas and are a true gem to the game. I remember listening to Harry call Phillies games as I fell asleep when I was younger. Even today I would much rather listen to Harry call a game on the radio than watch it on TV. He had a special cadence as well as his intense knowledge of the game that allowed you to picture the game in your mind.

I vividly remember hearing him call the Schmidt's 500th as well as countless other calls. One call that always brings a smile to my face was back on 1993- the Phillies started the 2nd game of a doubleheader at 12am and I didn't make it past the 1st or 2nd inning having crashed asleep on the couch. I was awakened to the voice of Harry Kalas' voice as he went nuts when Mitch Williams hit a pinch hit single to win the game. It was 4am.

I never got tired of his voice and never will.

RIP Harry.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rack Jims' take, and Screwed, I was almost going to Rack to yours as well...
Screw_Michigan wrote: ...you worthless fucksticks!
But invariably and inevitably, no matter how hard you try, you purposely piss down your leg with juvenile delinquent banter.

Grow the fuck up.

You want to be taken seriously?

Then quit acting like an immature punk.

You get respect by giving respect.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The day I give a flying fuck what you, of all people, think, Wags, is the day I'll be tits up. You want juvenile behavior? Eat shit and die being crushed while working undeneath a Ford F-150, you fucking cunt.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

War Wagon wrote:juvenile
Hmm...sounds like a good title for the kid.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
PISC
Elwood

Post by PISC »

Miss you Harry, always tops in my book for the NFL highlight narration. Outside of Chick, Vin and Ross, Harry was easily my favorite.
"If I could be compared to him (John Madden)...." Cris Collinsworth.
Uh, fucktard, don't EVEN think it fool. No chance, no way, no how. No fucking shit you'd be honored or whatever the fuck you said you'd be. He's great, you're not. No entertainment factor, no insight factor, just brown nosing, bullshit. Who's cock did he suck to make it this far?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Secured 2 tickets to the game tomorrow night. The Phillies have some nice tributes set up including having the 1st inning of the game on tv, silent of any broadcasting- the only sound you'll hear is the crowd and the sounds of the game.

Harry is famous for singing the song "high hopes" and in the 7th they are having someone lead the stadium in a rendition of the song. His 3 sons including, Todd the broadcaster for the Rays, are throwing out the 1st pitch tomorrow.

The local sports stations have had people calling telling stories about just how geninue and generous Kalas was. I can't say I ever met Kalas but someone said it best when they described him as "the voice of my summer."