The Matt Doherty Experience

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

The Matt Doherty Experience

Post by King Crimson »

1-10 in Conference USA. got plungered by Memphis 90-47 last night. 7-17 on the year.

My sister works at SMU and they seem to have an admin that's committed to spending money on sports....but 1-10 is dreadful. No real excuse for losing like that.

Maybe he left Florida Atlantic too soon. They do have a win over Colorado, though. wasn't Matt D National Coach of the Year at ND?

edit: Microsoft doesn't seem to think "plungered" is a word. back in the late 90's, Microsoft didn't think "oligopoly" was a word either....
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mustang
Don Cherry

Re: The Matt Doherty Experience

Post by Mustang »

It's pathetic. I went to SMU in the mid 80's and we were top 5 in football AND Basketball. Oh, how times change....

When Doh was hired, I was thinking positively and perhaps he could bring some of the Carolina thing to Dallas (as a Duke fan, that hurts to write...but success is success. Can't deny the 'holes greatness). But it's been pathetic. There's a wealth of talent to recruit in the DFW area alone, much less the rest of the state and it doesn't look like Doh's gotten much of it. They built a new basketball building but that hasn't paid off either. On rare occurrences that I see SMU on TV, it looks like there may be 1,000 fans in the building, if that. Dallas is a winners town....if you win, they will come. If you suck they stay home.

SMU is at the very bottom rung of the sports ladder in Dallas. At least they decided to get back in to the football business again, hiring June Jones. A dreadful season last year but that will change, no doubt. There I have some confidence. Basketball? May be time for Doh....to goh.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

there's no reason to think SMU couldn't be the hoops version of TCU football in North Texas. getting some B players out of a talented pool and making a go in mid-major conference. What is SMU willing to do for the potential scholarship athlete in terms of admission? Is there some kind of barrier there? I'm sure there are plenty of dumb, rich kids at SMU....it's a good school but all those bikini waxed rich girls who spend more time at the spa than asleep from Plano or Highland Park so they can look like tropical fish are not exactly rolling out 1500 on the SAT. The U of Denver is like that here. lot of silicon, rich kids. a faculty that tries hard.

If Baylor is getting some the top 150 kids that Drew is enrolling...can't be that SMU is taking an academic stand. not that Baylor is the greatest school of all time, it isn't. but, it's comparable to SMU as far as Texas privates. step below Rice or Trinity maybe, but not TCU or Coog High.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Thanks JSC. ALL teams that are successful are "the best team money can buy." Try to tell me UT, OU, Florida, USC, etc., etc., don't conduct some business under the table. But hey, we were damn good for a little while at least. We cheated (some of those guys lived in my dorm)...and kept cheating. But we are certainly not alone.

I don't know about TCU these days in that regard. All I do know is that THEY deserve to be in the BIG 12 a hell of a lot more than Baylor :meds: does. That said, why the hell can't SMU emulate TCU.......in football -AND- basketball? I couldn't care less about soccer or swimming. Maybe we will in football, eventually. But basketball.....no light in the tunnel there. Our arena is practically a carbon copy of Cameron Indoor Stadium and there is so much potential for a great basketball scene....but it continues to be mired in the dregs of C-USA. Oh, for the days of Carl Wright, Larry Davis and Butch Moore....
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Texas doesn't cheat, every one else does. just ask Austin Bill. They are pure as the driven snow. Everyone else cheats to keep up with Texas.

I remember Carl Wright, no love for Jon Koncak?

the thing with Baylor not belonging in the Big XII, they have a complete athletic department. they have a NC in women's hoops, went to the NCAA last year in men's hoops (and should have this year but Drew is a lousy coach), good in golf and baseball.....TCU is a one trick pony, football. what else does TCU give the XII?

you can make a better argument for Colorado or ISU to be dumped from the Big XII. they play that the minimum of sports to even be D-1 and right now, suck at them all. especially the revenue sports. Baylor beat ISU 38-10 last year,in football and is 2-1 against Colorado in the last 3.
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:Texas doesn't cheat, every one else does. just ask Austin Bill. They are pure as the driven snow. Everyone else cheats to keep up with Texas.

I remember Carl Wright, no love for Jon Koncak?

the thing with Baylor not belonging in the Big XII, they have a complete athletic department. they have a NC in women's hoops, went to the NCAA last year in men's hoops (and should have this year but Drew is a lousy coach), good in golf and baseball.....TCU is a one trick pony, football. what else does TCU give the XII?

you can make a better argument for Colorado or ISU to be dumped from the Big XII. they play that the minimum of sports to even be D-1 and right now, suck at them all. especially the revenue sports. Baylor beat ISU 38-10 last year,in football and is 2-1 against Colorado in the last 3.
Even further than that their T&F at Baylor is top notch. Hell this last Olympics was the first in over a quarter a century that the 400m Gold didn't go to a Baylor Grad... Just the Silver and Bronze.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Koncak? Hmmm.....a decent player, but got pushed around a bit. How did that guy make the '84 Olympic team?

Carl Wright might go down in my book as the biggest waste of talent (Roy Tarpley up there too). Dude was incredible. Al McGuire called him the best one-on-one player in the country. Alas, the "World" liked to party....a lot.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Koncak was a stiff. he and Joe Klein in a stiff fight would be legendary. i was funning.

not as flashy as Wright: but on the party angle, i knew this guy from New Zealand who played golf for Oklahoma in the 80's. I grew up around some of the OU golf teams in the 80's (NC in 89, I think)...this guy's name was Greg Turner. he was a very good college player and ended up winning some international events and had 2-3 top 10 British Open finishes. really good guy to me as a kid working at the golf course. taught me lot as a pretty good junior (i was). but, he chased skirt and drank all the time. you'll see him if you watch the golf channel British Open highlights from the early 90's. the guy could really play. but, he was probably hung over shooting the 74 in the third round that cost him the lead.

file this in the "who cares?" category....i just saw that guy on TV the other night in contention to win the Open Championship.....there are jakes with less game than Greg Turner who were majors winners. Rich Beem? Shaun Micheel?

the only bigger waste of talent i've ever seen is Daly. who i played in some tournaments with....not in the same group but a same tournament. he was the same then as now. big fat kid from Arkansas who hit 3 wood off the ground as a tee ball, same over-parallel swing. sloppy. great touch around the greens. dumb as rock, but not a bad guy.
"
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Joe Klein was actually a pretty good player. ALWAYS dominated Koncak (really isn't saying much). But I remember seeing him and the Hogs beating SMU in Dallas on a Saturday once (c. 1984) and their fans (always a ton on their roadies....only way to fill Moody Coliseum) were chanting "WE WANT THE TARHEELS!!!", who they were playing the next day. I was muttering, "Yeah, right......SMU is one thing, the 'holes are another. Good luck." It was one of the few times I've ever rooted for Carolina. And of course, they promptly lost. Figures. I think Steve Hale launched one at the buzzer that rimmed out. Ahh...Steve Hale..Jenks, OK. One of your boys.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Steve Hale....part of arguably the best senior class in OK high school hoops....with Mark Price and Wayman Tisdale and few other guys who played at Tulsa and ORU.

If Mark Price's dad (a former OU assistant) doesn't get his feelings hurt by the OU AD back in the day, the Tisdale era Sooners also has Mark Price at the point. Instead, Price goes to GA Tech and builds Bobby Crimmins career.
"
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

VERY interesting. It's stuff like this that makes these chat boards worthwhile. Most of the time, it's a bunch of partisan crap, team bashing, and personal insults. Pass. Good thread, King. Gives me a chance to vent about my school's futility.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Mustang wrote:Joe Klein was actually a pretty good player. ALWAYS dominated Koncak (really isn't saying much).
Joe Kleine was a decent college player. He had a brief stint at ND ahead of Arkansas. He actually lived in my dorm (he was gone before I got there, so I never met him, but a lot of the upperclassmen I knew considered him a friend).

Pushed out by Digger Phelps, who for some strange reason thought that Tim Andree and Gil Salinas were better players.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.