This is really a non-issue

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

This is really a non-issue

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Texans are under fire for running illegal one-on-one contact drills during OTAs
HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans could be disciplined after several former players accused the coaching staff of running one-on-one contact drills during offseason minicamps last spring.

According to a story orginially posted on ESPN.com, four former players and an anonymous member of the front office claim Head Coach Gary Kubiak and his staff ran one-on-one, full contact drills during the minicamp--despite the objection of the players and the absence of pads. Full contact drills between offensive and defensive linemen are prohibited during the offseason under the collective bargaining agreement, and one reason is because of the lack of pads. Only helmets are allowed to be worn by players during the drills.

The former players are Guard Dan Stevenson, Tackle Jordan Black, Center Chukky Okobi and Guard Fred Weary. Stevenson, Black, and Okobi all suffered season-ending injuries which they say are a result of the drills.

Meanwhile, Weary is unhappy to be involved in the story, telling Local 2 this afternoon, "I think this is just a case of some guys trying to run an issue that shouldn't be an issue. And at the end of the day, those guys participated in those drills, and if they didn't want to, all they had to say was, 'No, I'm not doing it.' They can't make them do those drills."

Weary went on to say he does not feel like his standing with other NFL franchises would be hurt by the story, saying that he's a player "willing to do whatever it takes to become a better football player," and that the other players involved in the story have "gone down a road you don't want to cross...and (it) could come back to bite (them) later."

The Texans made a brief statement through Vice President of Communications Tony Wylle: "Per club policy, we were unable to comment as these matters are in arbitration."

Honestly, all these guys were practice squad guys with the exception of Weary and he is the one who is back-pedaling. If Goodell is going to strip them of a 4th rounder, then every fucking NFL team better be under a microscope at OTAs. This happens in every camp and the players can either do it or not.

It's not going to cost them a job.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: This is really a non-issue

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Honestly, all these guys were practice squad guys with the exception of Weary and he is the one who is back-pedaling. If Goodell is going to strip them of a 4th rounder, then every fucking NFL team better be under a microscope at OTAs. This happens in every camp and the players can either do it or not.

It's not going to cost them a job.
Bullshit it's not going to cost them a job. Have you ever played football in your life? The first thing you learn on a football team at any level is that "voluntary" means "mandatory" if you want any kind of playing time. The only exceptions to that rule are players who have already established reputations.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

mvscal wrote:How the fuck would you know?
Okay, are you going to tell me it only happens in one camp?

If so, then you need to take your head out of your own ass.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I think BSmack is right. Crap, I only made it through high school, then the only thing that was "on the line" was my first string slot.

I can't imagine the pressure throughout the differing tiers of college ball and pro ball ? Fuck, that's your livelihood man.

It's voluntary but the overwhelming compulsion is that if you don't "man - up" and "volunteer", your ass is marked. A choice, but not much of one.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

BSmack wrote:Bullshit it's not going to cost them a job. Have you ever played football in your life? The first thing you learn on a football team at any level is that "voluntary" means "mandatory" if you want any kind of playing time. The only exceptions to that rule are players who have already established reputations.

Good point, however, we live in an age where media and representation is present everywhere. Agents, managers, reporters and the like swarm OTAs. Are you saying that they all just look the other way when questionable activities arise that subsequently compromise the CBA?

Another thing to consider is the timing of this story. Why would OTL break it now when OTAs took place 9 months ago? That is perplexing to say the least.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Nice job by RF kicking his own ass. Stupid is as stupid does, a Texas tradition.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Good point, however, we live in an age where media and representation is present everywhere. Agents, managers, reporters and the like swarm OTAs. Are you saying that they all just look the other way when questionable activities arise that subsequently compromise the CBA?
Teams have both public and closed practices. Reporters, agents, managers and jizz moppers are all banned from closed sessions. Tell me you knew?
Another thing to consider is the timing of this story. Why would OTL break it now when OTAs took place 9 months ago? That is perplexing to say the least.
Yea, real shocking that OTL would break the story just as teams are gearing up for their off season OTAs. Much better to wait until the middle of the season when everybody is following the on the field action. :meds:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown