Here is how I see it...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Here is how I see it...

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Lets looks at all the variables involved with picking the most disserving one-loss teams to play for the MNC including a proposed ‘Bama loss to Florida in the SEC title game. Here are the teams: Texas, Penn St., Texas Tech, Oklahoma, USC, and Florida

Variable #1 - The one loss

Texas - some could argue Texas should have lost by 20 and some could argue that if Texas played the first half like they did the second half, they would have won by 20. Bottom line: They lost on the last play of the game in a hostile environment at night on primetime television to the then #7 team in the country. That is an impressive loss.

Penn St. - Almost the same as Texas, but the opponent wasn't nearly as strong. They had the game won, but just couldn't get any offense going in the 4th quarter. Iowa played their asses off and pulled out a great victory with a last second field goal. Impressive loss for PSU but not as impressive as Texas' defeat.

Texas Tech - they lost by 51 on the road at night in a hostile environment to the then #4 team in the country. They are obviously dead last with regard to this variable. Well, maybe not. I will get back to that later.

Oklahoma - they played well enough to beat Texas, but managed to lose by 10 instead of holding Texas on a crucial defensive stand near the end of the game. Very un-Sooner like. It was on a neutral site during the day on primetime television to the then #5 team in the nation. It's not impressive and its not horrible. It's just okay.

USC - they lost to an unranked opponent on the road on a Friday night to a then unranked Oregon St. However, Oregon St, turned out to be a decent team this season, but not nearly as good as Tech, OU, or Texas. How they lost is a different story. They were down 21-0 at the half and kind of crawled back in the game, but never really was close to sniffing victory. Oregon St. won outright 27-21. It's a so-so loss.

Florida - they lost at home to a then unranked opponent in Ole Miss. If you look at it from that standpoint it’s a horrible loss; however, Ole Miss is a good football team and didn't win convincingly. There was a blocked PAT and a stuffed 4th and 1 play with less than a minute to go that allowed Ole Miss to escape with a victory in the Swamp. It's not an impressive loss but a tough one. It's still a loss at home which is unacceptable if you're the best team in the nation. It's almost as bad as Tech's loss.

Alabama – we really don’t know how this is going to play out, but I suspect a solid win by Florida. Not a blowout, but a 10-14 point loss for the ‘Tide. This is a neutral site loss to one of the better teams in the country, but ‘Bama never had control of the game and Florida is obviously the more dominant team.

Rankings of Variable #1:
Texas
Penn St.
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC
Florida
Texas Tech

Variable #2 - Non-conference schedule

Texas – Florida Atlantic at Home (52-10), UTEP on the road (42-13), RICE at home (52-10), and Arkansas at home (52-10). They are all division 1A opponents, but only one of them is from a power conference. FAU finished the season 6-6, UTEP 5-7, RICE 9-3, and Arkansas 5-7. RICE is probably their most impressive OOC win. It’s not a horrible non-conference schedule, but it’s not impressive either.

Penn St. – Coastal Carolina at Home (66-10), Oregon State at Home (45-14), Syracuse on the road (55-13), and Temple at Home (45-3). Coastal Carolina kills their OOC schedule. If they had top ten team on their OOC schedule, then it might make up for it, but a division I-AA opponent who finished 6-6 on the year is really bad. They won all of their games, but it wasn’t against any great teams. The 45-14 beatdown on Oregon State is pretty deece, but not enough.

Texas Tech – Eastern Washington at Home (49-24), @ Nevada (35-19), SMU (43-7), and UMass (43-7). Probably the bottom of the barrel here. Two I-AA opponents and only one winning team in Nevada (7-5) that they beat on the road…..terrible OOC schedule.

Oklahoma – Chatanooga (52-7), Cincy (52-26), @ Washington (55-14), TCU (35-10). This is a balanced OOC schedule with impressive wins over now ranked Cincy (10-2) and TCU (10-2). The only problem is, the other two opponents combine for a 1-22 mark. And one of those opponents is division I-AA. That draws down the impressive OOC wins a little. Still, it’s a good OOC schedule.

USC - @ Virginia (52-7), Ohio St. (35-3), and Notre Dame (38-3). A very good OOC schedule all against solid opponents and a top ten team. The best OOC schedule in football IMO.

Florida – Hawaii (56-10), Miami, FL (26-3), Citadel (70-19), @ Florida St. (45-15). The Citadel hurts them bad, but the impressive wins over Miami and Florida St. makes up for it. It’s a decent OOC schedule, but no the best.

Alabama – neutral site against Clemson (34-10), Western Kentucky (41-7), Tulane (20-6), and Arkansas St. (35-0). Clemson was their best opponent at 7-5. They played all 1-A opponents, but Tulane and W Kentucky combined for 3 wins total. Arkansas State plays in the weakest IA conference in all of college football. Overall, it is a weak OOC schedule. Not as weak as Tech but weaker than Penn St.

Variable #2 Rankings:
USC
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
Penn St.
Alabama
Texas Tech

Variable #3 – In conference schedule. I think this should be measured on two fronts, (1) the opponents and (2) the stretch of games.

Texas – 3 road games – Kansas, Texas Tech, and Colorado – 4 home games – Baylor, Texas ATM, Missouri, and Oklahoma St. – 1 neutral game – Oklahoma. Texas’ north opponents finished 1, 3, and 4 in their division with a combined overall record of 21-15. Their southern division opponents had a combined overall record of 39-21 bringing their overall conference opponent tally to 60-36; a very strong in-conference schedule. They also played a stretch of games against the then #1, #11, #6, and #7 teams in the nation. Toughest stretch in football.

Penn St. – 4 Road games – Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and Iowa – 4 home games Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Michigan St. Combined record of their in-conference opponents is 40-53. Their toughest stretch of games was probably Ohio St, Iowa, Indiana, and Michigan St. This is not good.

Texas Tech – 4 Road games – Kansas State, Texas ATM, Kansas, and Oklahoma – 4 home games – Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma St, and Baylor. Their north division opponents finished 2, 3, and 5 with a combined record of 20-16. Their overall conference opponents had a combined record of 59-37; a very impressive in-conference schedule. Their toughest in-conference stretch of games was against then ranked #23, #1, #9, and #5 teams in the nation. Pretty freaking strong, but unlike Texas they had a week off in the middle of that stretch. Very tough stretch of games, but not quite a difficult as Texas’.

Oklahoma – 4 road games – Kansas St., Baylor, Texas ATM, and Oklahoma St. – 3 home games – Kansas, Texas Tech, and Nebraska – 1 neutral game – Texas. Oklahoma’s north opponents finished 2, 3, and 5 in their division with a combined record of 21-15. Their overall conference opponent record was a combined 59-37; really good. Their toughest stretch of games was against Nebraska, @ ATM, Tech, and @ Oklahoma St. They did have a week off in that stretch.

USC – 5 road games – Oregon St, Wash St, Arizona, Stanford, and UCLA – 4 home games – Cal, Washington, Oregon, and Arizona St. The combined record of their in-conference opponents is 44-58; not very good. Their toughest stretch of games was probably a combination of OOC and IC games which included @ Virginia, Ohio St., @ Oregon St, and Oregon. A pretty tough stretch, but nearly as difficult as Tech’s or Texas’.

Florida – 3 road games – Tennessee, Arkansas, and Vandy – 4 home games – Ole Miss, LSU, Kentucky, and South Carolina – 1 neutral game – Georgia. Their west division opponents had a combined record of 20-16 and finished 2, 3 and 5 in the division. Their overall conference opponents record was a combined 53-43; a pretty good mark. I think their toughest stretch of games was LSU, Kentucky, vs Georgia, and at Vandy. Kind of tough but nothing like Tech or Texas.

Alabama – 4 road games – LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas – 4 games – Auburn, Miss St., Ole Miss, and Kentucky. Their east division opponents had a combined record of 20-16 and finished 2, 5, and 6 in the division. Their overall conference opponents record was a combined 49-47; not bad. Their toughest stretch of games was @ Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and @ Tennessee. Not really a tough stretch at all and they played in a weak division. They finish ahead of USC but barely.

Variable #3 Rankings:
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Florida
Alabama
USC
Penn St.

Variable #4 – Close games, Blowouts, and everything in between

Texas – had 9 blowouts coming against only one ranked opponent as part of those 9 blowouts. Their 3 close games came against three ranked opponents. Nothing really in between with the 12 games they played. Their blowouts, however, are not as impressive as some of the other 1 loss teams blowouts, but 9 blowouts vs 3 close games is pretty damn good.

Penn St. – they had 8 blowouts, 2 close games, and 2 solid victories. The solid victories weren’t blowouts, but Penn St. was in control the entire game. Those wins came against Illinois and Purdue. The only had no blowouts against a ranked opponent.

Texas Tech – They had 6 blowouts, one on a ranked opponent, 3 close games, only one of them coming against a ranked opponent, 2 solid victories, and 1 blowout loss. The blowout loss hurts them really bad.

Oklahoma – They had 9 blowout victories, of which 3 of them were against ranked opponents, 1 close game which was against Texas, and 2 solid victories over Kansas and Oklahoma St. Their blowouts were the best of any one loss team. They were very impressive in their wins for the most part.

USC – They had 7 blowouts, of which 2 of them were against ranked opponents, 2 close games against unranked opponents, and 2 solid victories. Nothing really special here, but their blowouts were really impressive.

Florida – They had 10 blowouts, of which 4 of them were against ranked opponents, 1 close game against Ole Miss, and 1 solid victory over Miami. They absolutely responded after the Ole Miss loss.

Alabama – They had 8 blowouts, of which two of them were against ranked opponents at the time, 3 close games against one ranked opponent at the time, and they had one solid victory against hapless Tulane. Overall, not a bad resume with margin of victories, but they had some close games at home against mediocre opponents that could have gone either way.

Variable #4 Rankings:
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Alabama
Penn St.
Texas Tech

Variable #5 – “What have you done for me lately”

Texas – After the Tech loss, they have played well down the stretch, but haven’t been as impressive as Florida or OU. They’ve been solid, but the loss against Tech and the close game against Oklahoma St is not nearly as good as the wins Florida, USC, and OU have been putting up lately.

Penn St. – The Iowa loss late in the season hurts, but they responded with a huge win over Michigan St., but it’s not enough because of the loss.

Texas Tech – They looked good against Texas and Oklahoma St, but they absolutely just flopped against OU and looked really bad against Baylor. They have been terrible down the stretch IMO.

Oklahoma – A solid win against Oklahoma St. last night, an absolute beatdown on Tech, and some blowouts of ATM and Nebraska before that look really good. They are the best team right now IMO.

USC – They’ve looked impressive lately but not as impressive as Florida or OU. The defense is stout, but the offense is kind of bland sometimes. They struggled a bit against Cal, but still put the clamps on them defensively. They’ve looked really strong lately.

Florida – They just absolutely responded after the Ole Miss game with blowouts of Georgia, South Carolina, Florida St., and LSU. They look unbeatable right now. They are a 1A to OU’s 1 as far as the best team goes right now.

Alabama – if they lose to Florida then they go all the way to the back of the bus because they lost. Simple as that.

Variable #5 Rankings:
Oklahoma
Florida
USC
Texas
Penn St.
Texas Tech
Alabama

These are the five variables I use when measuring who the best one loss team is in the country. After tallying up the totals, this is the order I get in best-to-worse one loss teams.

Oklahoma
Texas
Florida
USC
Penn St
Alabama
Texas Tech

Oklahoma barely edges Texas on the rankings with Florida just behind Texas. By looking at this objectively, if Florida wins big over ‘Bama, then they should play OU for the MNC. That is if OU impresses against Mizzou. If Florida barely beats ‘Bama, then I think you have to give Texas and OU the nod for the MNC. That won’t happen though. If Florida wins the SEC Championship, then they get an auto-bid to the MNC with OU. No doubt about it.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Here is how I see it...

Post by Shoalzie »

Helluva breakdown...just skimmed it but I'll read through it later.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8872 ... Texas-Tech

The BCS has Oklahoma at #2, Texas at #3...Oklahoma-Missouri in the Big XII title game.

It's essentially a mini-playoff next week...Florida vs. Alabama in one semifinal and then there's a 3-way matchup with Oklahoma vs. Missouri with Texas getting in if Missouri wins.

A win for USC next week doesn't get them anything other than a Rose Bowl berth most likely.

Texas Tech could be this year's Missouri...a quality team that is left out of the BCS because of the numbers game and there's a chance of 3 non-BCS unbeatens along with a solid TCU where only one of those teams gets an at-large.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Not reading all that.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

RumpleForeskin wrote:If Florida wins the SEC Championship, then they get an auto-bid to the MNC with OU. No doubt about it.
The winner of the Fla.-'Bama game will be in the MNC game, even if there are 10 turnovers and the score is 3-0.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

I guess OU fan has a short memory. Seems like Texas is not the only team to ever lose to Tech in Lubbock. Too bad it happened to Texas this year. Good luck to OU I guess. But on the other hand where can I find some Mizzou gear on quick notice.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

regardless of who plays MU in KC, i stopped reading when Tech and OU's equal conference opponent record of 59-37 is described as "very impressive" for Tech and just "really good" for OU. I see the word "strong" and "impressive" applied to UT (and Tech) quite often and sparsely with OU.

might as well just post "head to head win". i can identify with that logic as a sports fan, all the tap dancing I don't need.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

regardless of who got in, allowing the fucking BCS to decide your conference champs is asinine, and smells of Tejas and OU wanting to make sure they win all ties over Baylor,Tech,aTm,okie light. There is no way you would allow a shit system to pick who they want to represent your conference in big12 title game. Pt's differential and pt's differential vs common opponent(big12 North team) is only way to realistically do it on a 3-way

In a perfect world, MU would upset OU. Monkeys havn't began to fly, and this has no shot of happening.

MU better hope for 12 inches of snow if they want to have even a 3.76528956% shot to win.

A buddy of mine who wears the BlackNgold blinders even had to come clean after the game while leaving the stadium, he said," I finally realize, we are an average team, I refused to believe it, but this game proved it".
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

King Crimson wrote:regardless of who plays MU in KC, i stopped reading when Tech and OU's equal conference opponent record of 59-37 is described as "very impressive" for Tech and just "really good" for OU. I see the word "strong" and "impressive" applied to UT (and Tech) quite often and sparsely with OU.

might as well just post "head to head win". i can identify with that logic as a sports fan, all the tap dancing I don't need.
What the fuck are you whining about? I just said OU was better than Texas by a cunt hair and your giving me shit for using different adjectives? Go fuck yourself.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
King Crimson wrote:regardless of who plays MU in KC, i stopped reading when Tech and OU's equal conference opponent record of 59-37 is described as "very impressive" for Tech and just "really good" for OU. I see the word "strong" and "impressive" applied to UT (and Tech) quite often and sparsely with OU.

What the fuck are you whining about? I just said OU was better than Texas by a cunt hair and your giving me shit for using different adjectives? Go fuck yourself.
ease up hot shot....see where i say (and have been consistent in saying) that if UT goes based on the head to head i can live it. i'm not whining about anything. i'm saying you are describing exactly equal numbers in different terms that indicate different variances of "excellence" it would appear that you prefer one over the other...which is a logical assumption. if i say something is "good" and i say something else is "really good", it's normal to assume the latter is superior to the former. When they are numerical quantities given different qualitative meaning....it seems like you are choosing one over the other. if you go ahead and pick OU, great for you.

i appreciate the effort putting this together.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
campinfool wrote:I guess OU fan has a short memory. Seems like Texas is not the only team to ever lose to Tech in Lubbock. Too bad it happened to Texas this year. Good luck to OU I guess. But on the other hand where can I find some Mizzou gear on quick notice.
Nope. Texas isn't the only team to lose to Tech in Lubbock. They're just the only team to act like it doesn't matter.

For some slightly used Mizzou gear, I'm sure you can find some at rummage sales and thrift shops and whatnot.
Wow. I mean I have heard of the new math being confusing but the fact that OU got their fucking asses kicked by Texas on a neutral field doesn't matter is bullshit. When we lost to TT it did matter because we fell out of the #1 slot. But, we did beat OU, so that mattered too. When OU beat TT you took TT out of the equation. If we were the ACC or the SEC Texas would be playing for the championship. But to come here and act like OU "won" is a joke. Christmas came early to Norman.

The fact that our coach is not a fucking classless asshole plays into this as well. I wish Mack would never take a knee and run up the score when they are up 13 with :25 left in a game. Bob Stoops is what is wrong with College Football. He lost the head to head to us and acted like it didn't matter. If the shoe were on the other foot you guys would losing your minds about now. Mack gets on TV and will at least mention the other teams by name and give them credit. Boob calls us "the other teams". What a dick.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Thanks, I won't need it. I'm on Ebay looking for a Crimson and Cream shower rod. :brad: While this current situation sucks, I can't really feel "wronged" by OU jumping Texas. It is not like Texas got jumped by a mediocre team. OU is damn good and the only arguement Texas had was a head to head win over them. Pretty strong statement under most circumstances, but if Texas had a freshman safety who could catch or another who took a proper angle to Crabtree none of this would matter. For a Texas team most thought would be lucky to win 8 or 9 games this year, being on the cusp at the beginning of December with a probable at large BCS birth lurking is awesome.It is still a great season for Longhorn fans. Could have been better, but thingscould always be worse. I fully expect OU to thrash Missouri and play in the MNC game. Once they get there it will be quite a moral cross roads. Do you root for conference superiority or pray like mad a despised rival gets smoked.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

In an ideal world, one solution to the horseshit this year would be for the Big XII to have its two best teams play in the CCG, rather than the division winners, as part of the tiebreaker system.

That would sure solve a lot of the controversy this year, as there would be two national semi-final games.

Edit: Oklahoma State, a team that beat a participant in the CCG this year, is 4th in the Big XII South. Asinine.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote: In a perfect world, MU would upset OU. Monkeys havn't began to fly, and this has no shot of happening.
I've seen monkey's fly. Shoulda' said pigs.

LET'S GO TIGERS!!!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I could go either way in Texas vs OU. I was leaning towards OU after the Tech-game but after OSU I can see Texas as much, possibly more. OU's O is awesome and will put points up on anyone but outside of the Tech game their D hasn't really impressed. Muschamp has his guys coming together and with nearly a month to work with I think he could give Florida probs. I think Tebow could gouge OU like Robinson did while his D would actually stop OU some of the time.

Tough call, wish Mizzou could bow-out and there could be a Texas/OU rematch.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

by rights, texas should be in the title game instead of oklahoma, so, yeah, go tigers

BCS has lost what little credibility it had.

"oh, but they'll fix it next year"- haven't heard that since last year
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

If math is new to you, you're really aiming for the bottom. First of all, since when is 10 points an ass-kicking outside of a 10-0 game? Second, since when has Tejas fan forgotten what we've argued about / discussed on these boards for years and years now; especially since the BCS has gotten into "full swing."

Late. Losses. Matter. More.

Late losses have cost OU on more than one occasion this decade. But, for a team to win the championship, there are generally two options. 1) Lose early and then win a lot. 2) Don't lose. Don't blame us for trying to create a third rule when there's clearly only two with the current system. (A system with which I wholeheartedly disagree...)

Also, it's not like Tejas has clean hands on the whole "backing into a game" affair... Didn't you back into the Fiesta Bowl in 2008-09?

This is the same "classless asshole" that started kneeling against a team once IN THE THIRD QUARTER. We were running a run play to kill the clock. Whose fault is it that OSU had already given up? If someone would have laid a hand on Brown, he'd have gone down. Losing the head-to-head ALWAYS matters. Since then, he's gotten his team playing arguably better than any team in the country. We lost to a Top 5 team early in the season. You lost to a Top 5 team late in the season.

Late. Losses. Matter. More.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we wouldn't be losing our minds. Sure, there'd be frustration... but at the same time, we HAVE been there before. If you get in and we don't, what can we really say; ya know? But, WE got in. Sure, you have an argument, but so do we... the same one that would have kept us from losing our minds...

If you win them all, it's not an issue. Feel free to tag a "Sin, 'Bama" at the end of that last line if'n you want to. You wanna play for a championship? Take Tech more seriously next time. We did, and we're playing for one. It really is that simple.

No, I don't like the fact that late losses matter more, but it's not for me to like or dislike. It is simply a fact. Sorry. Feel free to claim a split championship. It's what USC (and Bama, et al..) would do.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

RadioFan wrote:The winner of the Fla.-'Bama game will be in the MNC game, even if there are 10 turnovers and the score is 3-0.
This is where I have a problem. If Florida barely beats 'Bama, then it is assumed Florida goes to the MNC. Texas doesn't get a sniff because we all know OU is going to beat Mizzou. That doesn't make sense to me, but I can see the argument from Florida's end by saying they won the SEC outright and played the extra game.

As for Texas getting an at-large bid, well it doesn't look promising for them facing a strong opponent. Ideally you'd like the Sugar Bowl to give both at-large bids to 'Bama and Texas. That way Utah gets the Big East champ in the Fiesta Bowl. Penn St plays USC in the Rose Bowl and then you give an at-large bid to Texas Tech to the Orange bowl to play the ACC champ. Did I miss anyone other than Boise St. getting the shaft?

If this plays out the way it should, then you could have a scenario where the human polls don't agree with the computers again. Lets say OU barely beats Florida in the MNC game and Texas blows out 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl, then you've got some fractions playing into the scenario.

Lots of what ifs, but very plausible.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

More insanity to consider ...

If Mizzou manages to pull the upset on Saturday, they would get the automatic BCS bid. Texas likely would be the other Big XII team to go to a BCS bowl, relegating OU and Tech -- both top-10 teams in a major conference -- to nonBCS bowl games.

Not that any of that shit matters since most of the bowl games (save the MNC game) are meaningless anyway, but it does say yet another thing about this idiotic system.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:

Waaaaah!!!

"Fucking kicked?"

You won the game. Props. You also got your asses "fucking kicked" by Tech.

If we were the ACC, your piece of dung coach wouldn't be in the conversation anyhow, considering he won exactly 0 conference titles when he WAS coaching there.

At least our coach acknowledges that there's THREE teams involved in a three-way tie, not two. That must be the "new" math you're talking about. I don't know about Texas, but before you're even admitted at Oklahoma you're expected to understand that .500=.500=.500. Since whatever reform school you got sentenced to after fellating a spotted toad didn't do such a great job, I'll break it down for you further:

Oklahoma lost to Texas
Texas lost to Texas Tech
Texas Tech lost to Oklahoma

All three teams finished with equal conference records.

The first tie breaker, which is the head to head you can't seem to get over, is tied. The next three tie breakers are tied.

My fucking god. "If we played in the ACC or SEC." WE DON'T, YOU PETTICOATED NANCY! If we played in the Pac-10 or Big 10 Texas Tech would go. Different conferences have different rules.

What an arrogant fuck to just proclaim that Tech "got taken out of the equation" for having the gall to lose a game. YOU TWATS LOST TO THEM!
Go fuck yourself you arrogant ass. The National Media was the first to proclaim that TT got taken out of the equation when they lost to OU. So if I am an arrogant fuck then I guess that every other media service in the entire country is too. Well great, I am glad that is settled.

As for the tie-breaker......every other conference looks at the 2 highest ranked teams and what they did head to head......For you I will explain that, Texas was rated #2 in the BCS....OU was rated #3 and TT was rated #7. TT was taken out because they were rated the lower of the 3. Therefore, the only 2 teams that would be considered were Texas and OU. If you look at the head to head match up, TEXAS won by 10 on a neutral field. We didn't beat you in Austin, we beat you on a NEUTRAL FIELD. We did lose....on the ROAD in LUBBOCK. You did beat TT....IN NORMAN. So based on your logic of losing, the YOU TWATS LOST TO TEXAS. You did not lose on the last play of the game after you had played 4 straight top 11 teams. You lost by 10 fucking points when you were rated #1. You didn't have a safety drop the game winning int either.

Mack has the same number of MNC's as your dickhead coach.

Go build a fucking igloo. Ass.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

From one of those biased services.....

Oklahoma may be fortunate to reside in the Big 12. It is one of five leagues that is broken up into divisions – and it's the only league whose tiebreaker system would've ended up with the Sooners as the division champs. Here's a look:
ACC: Texas (fifth tiebreaker)
Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two, a two-team tiebreaker is used.
Combined head-to-head (all are 1-1)
Records vs. division (all are 4-1)
Head-to-head competition vs. team within the division with best overall (divisional or conference) proceeding through division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
Overall record for non-division teams (Texas wins; Longhorns opponents are 21-15, OU's and Tech's are 20-16)
Big 12: Oklahoma (fifth tiebreaker)
The records of three teams will be compared against each other (all are 1-1)
The records of three teams will be compared within their division (all are 4-1)
The records of three teams will be compared to next highest placed teams in their division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
The records of three teams against common opponents (all beat Kansas, only common North opponent)
Team with top BCS ranking (No. 2 Oklahoma, No. 3 Texas, No. 7 Texas Tech)
Conference USA: Texas (sixth tiebreaker)
Highest regular-season win percentage based on conference play (all tied at .875)
Head to head between tied teams (all are 1-1)
Highest win percentage in division (all .800)
Records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
Records against common cross-division opponents (all beat Kansas)
Records against cross-division opponents in descending order of finish (Texas wins; Longhorns defeated North champ Missouri)
Mid-American: Texas (fourth tiebreaker)
Head to head
Record vs. division
Win percentage of cross-over opponents (all 4-0 vs. common opponents, North opponents were a combined 11-13 for all teams)
Cross-division opponents in rank order (Texas wins; beat North champ Missouri)
SEC: Texas (sixth tiebreaker)
Head to head
Record vs. division
Head to head vs. team within division with best overall record and proceeding through division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas A&M)
Record vs. non-division teams (all 3-0)
Record vs. common non-divisional teams with best conference record (all beat Kansas)
Team with highest BCS, unless second tied team is ranked within five or fewer places of highest ranked team. In this case, head to head of winner of top two is the representative. (Oklahoma is No. 2, Texas is No. 3, Texas Tech is No. 7; Texas beat Oklahoma)

Let's see....Stewart Mandel, Ivan Maisel, Kirk Herbstreit, Brad Edwards to name a few all thought Texas got screwed. And they did not say Texas should be number 1 they just thought that since we beat you head to head we should be going to Kansas City. But don't let things like FACTS get in the way of your overinflated ego.

Never made an excuse for losing to Texas Tech. They beat us. Kind of reminds me of OU's record in Lubbock over the last few trips....0-2. We are 1-1. We didn't have 2 weeks to prepare for them at home.

Oh, I have better, you just aren't worth the time it takes to type it. Nice Mexican reset. I guess it would be fair to say you should go off of Muldoon road and wait for some Alutiit to come by and blow you for a 40 oz. nd a dime bag of home grown.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

You're right. Tejas SHOULD be playing in the Big 12 Championship game. Show up. See if you get to.

I'll say it again... It's not like the rules on this were re-written mid-season specifically to screw Tejas over. They've been in place all year. Everybody is playing by the same set. Do I like it? (Yeah, kinda, because it's Tejas, and HornFans is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life right now...) No, I don't. But they're still the rules. Are you saying that we should change them just because things didn't work in your favor? You can post the rules of the other conferences all day long. It doesn't matter. Why? YOU'RE NOT IN THOSE CONFERENCES!

I kinda wish you were though. All your crying is starting to flood the Big 12 basement, and Oklahoma State thinks that they're rising up again.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bwah... RACK this fucking thread.

I knew this was coming.

OU honk, overlook Mizzou next week at your peril.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Apparently, to Texas fan there's only five conferences. Which is about right, since the Big 12 South only has two teams.

Look, Harv, I know it's nice to think that it's just like tee-ball and everyone should get a trophy, but it just doesn't work out that way.

And your sister's upped her rates. She wants at least a quarter now. :hfal:
Sister smack is fresh. I bet you thought real hard about that one.

BTH: "2 beats 3....so we win...your sister charges a quarter." Nice.

It is not about participating....it's about beating the 2 teams that are playing for your conference Championship by a combined score of 101-66. The fact that you guys give up 30 points a game is a joke. You love to talk about Cincinnati and TCU but do not mention that you also beat Washington (0-11) and Tennessee Chattanooga that plays in 1-2A and went 1-11.

They should get the * ready for your trophy if you beat MIZZOU.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

They were everywhere. 4th avenue if I am not mistaken. Anyone for a beer at the Great Alaskan Bush Company?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

UT having beaten Missouri is entirely irrelevant to this discussion as long as divisional play crowns a north and south champion.

it really does no good to complain about style points and then *continue* to harp on "barely losing" at Tech. the *same thing* only reversed. same logic. So far we can deduce: 6 points=barely losing (at Tech); 10 points (RRS)=a decisive, statement game....there's a lot riding on those 4 points.

OU beat OSU in Stillwater by 20. UT beat OSU in Austin by 4. you can't pick and choose whichever scores/outcomes suit you and when head-to-head counts and when it doesn't (in a 3 way tie).

by the Horn logic i'm seeing presented throughout the week (not just here, including Mack on TV multiple times), if OU had beaten Tech by one touchdown that would somehow make OU's argument in the 3 way tie scenario *stronger* than winning by 40+....because Tech then *still* would be relevant in the 3 way tie scenario. that's not even circular logic or homer selectivity....it's just ridiculous.

the whole situation is a joke. but, losing late coming with a penalty is not without precedent in CFB, as skull notes.
"
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Feels like the old Rome board, 'bout time you boys brought it, should have known it would take a major UT OU controversy to harken the golden ages of hate and animosity.

I recall some time ago the conference contemplating matching the 2 BEST teams for the conference title game instead of the north / south match-up. Even though there have been some real mismatches on paper, the dogs have done well for the most part and broken some hearts in the game. (been there)

Would look pretty interesting this year however. No offense Tiggy fan.
I imagine the road block would be it would mean a rematch a greater number of times than it would as is.
But imagine the national interest to see OU and UT again.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

OU honk, overlook Mizzou next week at your peril.

bwahahahahaha! Here we go again...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

OUfan may overlook Mizzou, but unfortunately for my Tiggers, Stoops won't.

Still, I think they'll show up and at least make a game of it into the 4th quarter. They came out flat-footed against KU. Surely that can't and won't happen again. [/crosses fingers]

What? You want I should wave the white flag in advance? Get down on my knees and suck Sooner schlong before bending over and taking it up the ass?

Fuck that noise.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

At least now we can lay to rest that lame fucking arguement against a playoff that goes something like "every week in college football is like a playoff." No it isnt, in a playoff you dont beat a team with the same record at a neitral site and then sit at home and watch them go on to play in the next round.
Big 12 needs to sack up, kick Baylor and Iowa State out and then just play 9 conference games.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Big 12 needs to sack up, kick Baylor and Iowa State out and then just play 9 conference games.
Yeah, that's a pretty realistic solution that's sure to happen soon.

:meds:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Baylor's not that bad, actually.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I'm a UT fan because my old man was a student there, but I see both sides of the argument. UT got screwed by rules set by Big XII officials. That isn't OU's fault. Stoops had to play the part of politician for the extra paycheck in the Big XII championship game and the extra jack the school will get in the MNC. He did his job. Mack Brown is a class act and may have done things the right way, but it doesn't mean he was smart. I wish he begged and pleaded during the pressers like he did when they leap frogged Cal for a Rose Bowl bid back in '04. Brown is right though, it is what it is and you've just got to move forward.

The only thing I want to know is the coaches logic for giving OU a better ranking than Texas and two of those coaches giving OU a vote as the #1 team. Coaches cry all the time about how important head-to-head is when deciding who the better team is, yet there OU sits ahead of Texas in the coaches poll with two first place votes. Ponderous. Don't get me wrong, OU has a strong case for being the #2 team in the country, but it technically doesn't make sense.

As for the Harris Poll, its a fucking joke. There are too many people involved with that poll that do not have a fucking clue about who the best team is in college football. That needs to go. Period.

I just can't wrap my brain around this whole ordeal with BCS. Here we are possibly faced with seven 1-loss teams from major conferences and it is being decided by people who do not play the game. I'm so fucking disgusted with this game.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Let's be honest here.....Stoops did not go on during the UT/A&M game because they had not played yet. Again, it is easy to make judgements when you aren't the one getting screwed. Mack knew we were going to get the shaft and wanted to say something. If the shoe was on the other foot, Stoops would have done the same. Hopefully you guys will have to deal with this someday. I would love to see Bob's reaction to seeing a team they beat me ranked ahead of him.....you guys would be funny too.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

RumpleForeskin wrote: Variable #1 - The one loss

Texas - some could argue Texas should have lost by 20 and some could argue that if Texas played the first half like they did the second half, they would have won by 20. Bottom line: They lost on the last play of the game in a hostile environment at night on primetime television to the then #7 team in the country. That is an impressive loss.
You led for a whole 1 minute and 38 seconds in a game that Taco Tech did everything to it could to hand to you in the 4th quarter... real fucking impressive. :meds:
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Guys I logged into hornfags and Orangeblood on Saturday and read enough of this crap to last a decade. The system sucks Tech and Texas both got screwed. End of story. The system is not fair but really is there a fair way of determining a 3 way tie? Someone said point differential but really if we went by that you would see Texas and Oklahoma do their best to drop 100 on the Baylor's of the world, not only is that crap but we would be throwing sportsmanship out the window.

It is what it is no need in trying to talk the other side into agreeing with you. My only hope is that either Missouri wins or Oklahoma goes all the way and Texas is voted a share of the MNC by the AP. Oh and aggsy lose their bowl game, wait they don't have a bowl game :hfal: :lol:
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Vito Corleone wrote:The system is not fair but really is there a fair way of determining a 3 way tie? Someone said point differential but really if we went by that you would see Texas and Oklahoma do their best to drop 100 on the Baylor's of the world, not only is that crap but we would be throwing sportsmanship out the window.
The last tiebreaker shouldn't be points differential, but points allowed against common opponents. Same as any Little League baseball tourney for determining the seeds for the elimination round.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

War Wagon wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:The system is not fair but really is there a fair way of determining a 3 way tie? Someone said point differential but really if we went by that you would see Texas and Oklahoma do their best to drop 100 on the Baylor's of the world, not only is that crap but we would be throwing sportsmanship out the window.
The last tiebreaker shouldn't be points differential, but points allowed against common opponents. Same as any Little League baseball tourney for determining the seeds for the elimination round.
No way tech or Oklahoma would agree to that since neither has a defense but in any other year moving forward I think that would be heck of a way to determine who goes in. I just don't want to see us toss sportsmanship out the window just to win a tie-breaker.

BTW between Texas and Oklahoma Texas outscored the Sooners something like 34-14 over the last 2.5 quarters so just off that I would say we kicked your butt in Dallas.

Texas did get it's butt kicked for the entire game against Tech but we lost on the 2nd to last play.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Vito Corleone wrote: No way tech or Oklahoma would agree to that since neither has a defense but in any other year moving forward I think that would be heck of a way to determine who goes in. I just don't want to see us toss sportsmanship out the window just to win a tie-breaker.
On the contrary, sportsmanship wouldn't be tossed out the window.

Under a points allowed tiebreaker system, what you should see instead of teams trying run up the score with a 23 point 3rd qtr lead... is teams trying to grind out one first down after another, ten yards at a time, taking as much time off the clock as possible, so the other offense stays on the sidelines with less chances to score.

I'd like to see one of the more industrious horn fans (s'up Harv?) crunch those numbers against this years common opponents and see where the cowchips fall.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

War Wagon wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote: No way tech or Oklahoma would agree to that since neither has a defense but in any other year moving forward I think that would be heck of a way to determine who goes in. I just don't want to see us toss sportsmanship out the window just to win a tie-breaker.
On the contrary, sportsmanship wouldn't be tossed out the window.

Under a points allowed tiebreaker system, what you should see instead of teams trying run up the score with a 23 point 3rd qtr lead... is teams trying to grind out one first down after another, ten yards at a time, taking as much time off the clock as possible, so the other offense stays on the sidelines with less chances to score.

I'd like to see one of the more industrious horn fans (s'up Harv?) crunch those numbers against this years common opponents and see where the cowchips fall.
Well it sure would put an end to these hurry up offenses out there. I think Texas lead the conference in time of possession due to their grind it out offense. OU put up more points but that had a lot to do with the fact that they ran a hurry up offense and really short time of possession, they had lots more opportunities than Texas had. Missouri and Tech ran the same offense as well with very similar results.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

If you looked at the amount of points given up in the Big XII between Texas, OU and TT it would breakdown like this:

OU: 236 Points or and average of 29.5 per game. The high they gave up was 41 to OSU and the low was 17 to Baylor.

TT: 251 Points or an avaerage of 31.4 per game. The high they gave up was 65 to OU and the low was 21 to Kansas.

Texas: 180 points or and average of 22.5 per game. The hig they gave up was 39 to TT and the low was 7 to Kansas.

If you take the whole season in to account the top scoring defense is Texas. We are rated #21 in the nation.