Most Influential Man in Music?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Most Influential Man in Music?

Post by ElvisMonster »

First things first: the question posed in the title of this thread is fucking retorical. Don't fucking roll up in this thread and start posting shit like "Hendrix", "Lennon", "Oozy" or any other fucking horseshit. This thread is about David Bowie. One more time, this thread is not about who you think the most influential person in music is, but rather a discussion of Bowie's impact on the world of music. Get it? Do you get the fucking difference? Ok, thanks. Moving on....

On my way into work this morning I was thinking about how so many artists have covered Bowie tunes on their albums. Granted, Bowie is big and he's been around a loooong time, so obviously he's got a strong following, but, at least by my perception, Bowie has never enjoyed the commercial success of other folks that we consider icons in the world of music. Outside of Ziggy Stardust and Let's Dance, I'd say that most of Bowie's stuff has always sold just well enough to get him another record deal. Anyway....I'm kind of curious to see how many different artists actually have dug a Bowie tune enough to cover it. I came up with three off of the top of my head....

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (The title cut from one of my favorite Bowie albums, btw.)

Flaming Lips - Life on Mars (I either really like their version or want to fight them for covering it. I haven't decided yet.)

Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust (Peter Murphy kind of made a career by ripping off that "Thin White Duke" image, but whatever. Bauhaus rocked.)

Next?
Last edited by ElvisMonster on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

John Lennon without a doubt.

Next.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Yesterday has been covered 3000+ times.

sin

Paul McCartney
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Really. Sincerely. Fuck both of you. You're both dead to me.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Who do I think the most influential man in rock music is?

Tough, tough call.

OK, not THE most influential, but since he never ever gets any mention, I'll go with Scotty Moore. Everyone wanted to be Scotty Moore in the early/mid 60's.

Only thing Bowie ever did was to make it "ccol" for guys like Jagger and Stewart to "experiment" with sucking cock without too much guilt. And you cannot tell me that Courtney Taylor hasn't schlarved Bowie's pole, just like the entire lineup of Duran Duran did.

Does that answer your question, EM?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the string of records Bowie made with Mick Ronson--Man who sold the world, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Pinups (Bowie covers the 60's pop songs he grew up--interesting--i really like this record though it's out the Bowie idiom per se--covers the Who twice, Springsteen (?), and bunch of throwaway one hitters with Ronson grinding it out on guiter. Iggy Pop described this record as "tight as a bitch from the waist down"), Diamond Dogs (the lesser of the set, IMO) are pretty fucking awesome set of consecutive records to put out.

it would take U2 25 years to put out this many quality album sides....

the Berlin stuff--Low, the Lodger...i like but not as much. it's pretty much Eno you are listening to.

the disco period with Station to Station etc. is OK. Though, i like S to S. oh my tcv one five, oh oh.

Ronson impeccably invented practically every "rock star guitarist" stage cliche from wearing a cape to ridiculous rock god posturings....all the while tearing your ears off with one of the best dirty guitar sounds in rock ever. if you don't beleive me go rent the Ziggy Stardust Concert DVD/vid.

I'm Lennon guy if i had to choose, though. screw Paulie (wrote songs about his gawddamned sheep dog). Paul wrote some of the greatest, listenable, sing-a-long pop songs ever (some of them borderline soulful)...but John Lennon took shits more interesting than Paul (it's ME on camera) McCartney.

paradigmatic question: Honey Pie or Wild Honey Pie?

hint: which one did the Pixies cover?

googoogajoob.
Last edited by King Crimson on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

The fucking thread title isn't the topic for discussion, you stupid fucking faggots! It's more like a headline. DAMN!

I was hoping that we could pool our fucking collective music knowledge and compile a fairly extensive list of bands that viewed Bowie as an influence and enjoyed his music enough to interpret it themselves. Fuck all of you. Seriously. PM me when you're no longer fucking on my nerves. OoT.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

And a big thanks to King for contributing the second best post in this thread. The rest of you suck my balls.
Last edited by ElvisMonster on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

I'm still thinking John Lennon.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i really like Bowie but REALLY screwed up the stooges "Raw Power" as producer. mutherfucker sounds like it was recorded in a high school lockeroom with the mikes in the showers.

"interpretations":

i think man who sold the world speaks for itself.

among the bands who have been ambitious or pompous enough to write mostly good songs with some success about/with the influence of Nitezsche....Bowie on Man Who Sold the World, a little on Hunky Dory.

others: Jane's Addiction, The Doors.

I laughed at Dinsdales ref of Courtney Taylor huffing the thin white duke. no doubt.

Duran Duran was playing Bryan Ferry's skinflute first, however. IMHO.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Oh yeah, Duran Duran did a version of "Fame".
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Prime X is training to be a cage fighter.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

You gonna give us the answer to your Pixies trivia question or what? I'm on pins and needles.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

U2 covered Helter Skelter
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

BSmack wrote:U2 covered Helter Skelter
motley crue's cover of helter skelter is better than the plodding, sludgey version U2 did on Rattle and Hum. and i hate hair metal.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OK, the Dandy Warhols were massively influenced by Bowie.

And they're gay.

Brilliant thread, homo.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

What was that BSmack? I couldn't quite make that out? Hmmmm...I wonder why? Oh yeah, it's because I'M TOTALLY IGNORING ALL OF YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD! Bwahahahahah! How does that taste, faggot?
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Did the Dandy Warhols cover a Bowie tune, Dins? If so, which one? See, THAT is what I'm curious about. Help me help you.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

ElvisMonster wrote:Oh yeah, Duran Duran did a version of "Fame".
listen to the guitars on (the best, if you had to choose) Duran Duran song "girls on film"...and early Roxy Music records.

DD also did a record of covers with lay lady lay and 911 (is a joke) so i think they are fair game. Certainly, one of the most ridiculous records ever made.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... kqoauauijn
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the best beatles cover i've ever heard is the Breeders cover of "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the LP pod--which is light years better than any of the subsequent, more successful breeders Lp's.

that's an uncoverable song. the risk is SO high.

but they nail it. IMHO.

i'm out of this thread for awhile. all y'all get back in line!

;)
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I dunno. I do know they were so heavily influenced.......and by "heavily influenced," I mean they sucked his dick..........by Bowie, that they did songs WITH him. No silly covers, but actually made tunes with. Heck, the Thin White Jizzmop comes to town to spend the night with them.

You support faggots. Burn in hell.

I haven't seen ol' Courtney in a while. I'm sure we'll exchange pleasantries the next time we run into each other. And by "pleasantries," I don't mean semen, you fucking faglover. And I sure the fuck aren't going to spend the night with the dude. To think, he used to pull chicks back in school.....BEFORE HE STARTED HANGING OUT WITH BOWIE!

See the fucking correlation, Asseyes? Dude was straight, then he started spending time with David Fucking Bowie, and now he sucks cock. If THAT'S what you consider a MAJOR fucking influence on the rock world, then God have mercy on your sould, you gaybo.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

I wish BaceFelice and scritti had been the only two people to respond to this thread.

Ok, you guys can leave now. Thanks for not helping even a little bit. 'Preciate it. Later. See you.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, whatever. I see you working......you're campaigning early for the next Fagoff. With more members this time around, your competiton will be a little......stiffer, thus the need to get an early jump on the field.

It's quite transparent.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Crimson speaks the truth, as usualm.

Elvis, you know I loves me some Bowie. I'm a bigtime fan, Jerry. Mixed feelings about the Bowie used in Life Aquatic.

Of course influence is relative to where your attentions lie. You may mention Flaming Lips and Pixies, but trev may mention Tim McGraw and White McMilquetoast and Toby Keith. I have friends who would drop Flying Burrito Brothers and Uncle Tupelo. Biggest influences in rock also depend upon the age of those pulling the strings. All the three chord craps bands out these days may be a direct result of some Nirvana or Offspring fan becoming the man in charge at a label.

I don't like McCartney songs. Pop fluff. I've started skipping over those to get to the Lennon or Harrison songs. Imagine hearing this really great song only to have it followed by some rinky-dinky crap. I cherish the rare Harrison song more than the other two.

pixies did wild honey pie. I think it was a peel session. I think black francis' lung flopped out while singing it. finna put that early 90's pixies b-side comp in the CD player right now to hear that followed by a peel version of caribou.
why is my neighborhood on fire
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

this thread gave me a fucking headache
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Reading Elvis' posts made me throw up in my mouth.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

ElvisMonster wrote:What was that BSmack? I couldn't quite make that out? Hmmmm...I wonder why? Oh yeah, it's because I'M TOTALLY IGNORING ALL OF YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD! Bwahahahahah! How does that taste, faggot?
I'm sure it tastes similar to Annette Funicello's cover of All My Loving.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Rack buzzer. You guys are fucking retards. If you'd managed to put your fucking ADD on the backburner for all of two paragraphs, you'd have gotten to this fucking query:
Anyway....I'm kind of curious to see how many different artists actually have dug a Bowie tune enough to cover it.
And then I listed the ones that I was aware of. I was hoping that you would have picked up where I left off.

Help me Scritti Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope...

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Nothing holds a candle to Anne Murray's cover of Day Tripper.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You should be THANKING people for derailing this fagfest, you faggot-ass faggot.

Can we expect a Freddy Mercury avatar from you some time soon?

Can a thread about the Gay Men's Chorus be far behind?

Don't try to suck others into your homo agenda. They should post your mug on a website so that local families can keep their kids away from you.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

While we're not on the subject of Bowie, how'd you like that 30 point beatdown that the Rox put on your Blazers last week, Dins?

That pwnd!
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

R.I.P., Disndale. Dead to me.

Bodycount: PrimeX, BSmack, Dinsdale

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I was just thinking how cool it would be if I could get a copy of Sergio Mendes' cover of Fool on the Hill. That would be so dope.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
pixies did wild honey pie. I think it was a peel session. .

what i have is called BBC seessions, possibly cold have been peel. the version of subbacultcha....is money.
better than the original album one.

it's just worth it for that.

IMHO.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

phil spector
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PrimeX wrote:While we're not on the subject of Bowie, how'd you like that 30 point beatdown that the Rox put on your Blazers last week, Dins?

That pwnd!
Pwnd, indeed.

For the first time since drafting Clyde Freaking Drexler in 1980-freaking-3, we're playing for draft picks. Paul Allen needs my money....BADLY, and seperating me from it is a great deal more important to him than winning.

Our once-proud franchise is a joke. Once the greatest in all of American Sport(except for maybe the Yanks) is dead. Empty seats inside should have told you. Nobody in this whole town even cares. Back in the Glickman Era, the team was part of the community, which was much smaller back then. It wasn't about money. It wasn't even about winning -- it was about the team and the people all being friends. With that positive atmospere, the winning came naturally. Sure, we only hung one banner in the rafters in all that time, but made some great runs, lost to some of the greatest teams in history, redefined the way a run-and-gun attack works, and were a threat to win it all every freaking year for decades.

Now, they literally can't give tickets away. Paul Allen FUCKED us.....hard. Negotitaed a stupid freaking arena deal, then when his stupidity became obvious, he bailed on his stupid building, and left us with a $20 million tab, and immediately spent OUR $20 mil on toy spaceships. Since attendance is so incredibly far down, the restraunt/bar outside the front door does shit for business(what do you expect, when they can't even be bothered opening it for the freaking Big Sky Conf. tourney.....brilliant), so he's bailing on that, and sticking the city and the rest of the investors with that bill, too. Heaven freaking forbid the he uses HIS money to buy his way out of his STUPID financial decisions. Too bad thatwe can't pass a ballot measure to force him to sell the team(love to see Phil Knight buy it, but I'll bet the NBA would have a conflict of interest cow if he tried......cause goodness knows having someone from here, who lives here own the team would be bad for biz). Instead, we'll just have to continue boycotting, and hope the idiot figures out that we hate him with a passion. Not "some of us," or "most of us," but ALL OF US. When profits were down(used to top even the Cowboys as the most profotable sports franchise in the US), does he weed out the miscreants? Ditch the too-big contracts of non-"team" guys? No, he lays off over 100 people, into what at the time was the most unemployed city in the country. Nice PR move, dickweed.....goodness knows he couldn't afford to keep those families eating and making their house payment....real "community oriented" guy.

Sad, sad chapter for a team that sold out over 800 games in a row. Our junior hockey team is about to pass them in average attendance, if that tells you anything.

I'm going to go cry a tear for my old friend who died, and is no longer with us.....the Portland Trailblazers.

Fuck you, Evil Allen.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

mothster wrote:phil spector
You're such a fucking dipshit.

For the most part, I assume that the other posters in this thread at least glanced at the first post and then committed their various acts of verbal hooliganism.

Then there's you, moth. There is no fucking doubt in my mind that you saw the thread title and just couldn't get to the submit button fast enough in an attempt to impress us with your insight. And to clear things up for you, mothtard, in this instance the words "impress" and "insight" were being used very, very loosely. Werd to your mother's vagina.

Your take has absolutely zero to do with what is being discussed and it's not because you were trying to be witty or clever or obnoxious. It's because you're stupid, self absorbed, and lazy.

I'm sure this is where you're going to chime in with "Hahaha! I don’t care what you think, dude. I just post here for fun. So whatever. 8) " In which case, I'll add liar to your impressive list of character flaws. If you weren't looking for some sort of validation, you'd be posting your "takes" in your American Girls diary instead of blasting them out like fecal buckshot on this fine message board.

I offer you no words of wisdom or encouragement, moth. I just want you to know exactly why so many people consider you a loser dicklick.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

EM,

You seem stressed. Might I recomend kicking back to the easy sounds of Neil Diamond covering Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight?

Hope that helped. ;)

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You beat me to the first Neil Diamond reference in this thread, you cad.

I WAS going to comment on how if being covered was the yardstick by which "influence" is measured, then where's the love for Neilio?

I'll bet there's way more Buddy Holly covers than David Blowie covers out there.

Plenty of Otis Redding covers, too.

And you're trying to give Bowie credit? Nice work, EM. You almost make Moth look hetero.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:You beat me to the first Neil Diamond reference in this thread, you cad.

I WAS going to comment on how if being covered was the yardstick by which "influence" is measured, then where's the love for Neilio?

I'll bet there's way more Buddy Holly covers than David Blowie covers out there.

Plenty of Otis Redding covers, too.

And you're trying to give Bowie credit? Nice work, EM. You almost make Moth look hetero.
Sorry bro. I feel bad about that. I think I'll salve my hurt with a listen to World Party's cover of A World Without Love.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown