5 True Freshman That Will Make an Impact This Season

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

5 True Freshman That Will Make an Impact This Season

Post by RumpleForeskin »

1. Julio Jones - his leaping abilities and athleticism makes for a standout freshman year. This kid has got sick talent and I expect him to make an immediate impact for the Crimson Tide offense.

2. DeAndre Brown - playing against inferior competition in a mid-major conference will allow this freshman phenom to shine for the Golden Eagles. His height and speed will overshadow a lot of undersized DBs in C-USA

3. Robert Griffin - When Kevin Kolb was a freshman at UofH, he stepped right in for Art Briles system and broke multiple freshman records. I see the same thing happening for Robert Griffin when he is named starting QB for the Baylor Bears.

4. Randall Cobb - Exit Andre Woodsen, enter Randall Cobb. Kentucky will struggle around the .500 mark this season, but Randall Cobb will have a solid year as starting QB for the Wildcats in blue.

5. Josh Haden - No Matt Ryan, so the Eagles will feature a more aggressive running attack and Haden is the guy to lead that attack. Watch for Haden to gain over a thousand yards on the ground and catch another 300 out of the backfield.

Who you got?
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: 5 True Freshman That Will Make an Impact This Season

Post by King Crimson »

i'd say Darrell Scott, RB: Colorado.

top 5 Rb in the nation out of HS, no real incumbent at the position. He won't enter the season as the starter, but if he's as good as advertised it won't take long until he's the "guy".
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I was thinking of adding Scott to the list, but The Buffs are so deep in RB talent this season that he may be sharing carries with two other freshman standouts.

Either way, Colorado is going to make some noise in the north this year.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

some shit QB from PA named Terrelle Pryor...

word out of C BUS is kid is making strides...wowed a bunch of upper classmen with a couple moves on some designed running plays...hearing his throwing mechanics are better than thought...

I think he plays a Tebow ish role (which has been mentioned 5 gazillion times by the media)...but who knows...until USC game when TOEJAM has the Condoms go after his knees...
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:some shit QB from PA named Terrelle Pryor...

word out of C BUS is kid is making strides...wowed a bunch of upper classmen with a couple moves on some designed running plays...hearing his throwing mechanics are better than thought...

I think he plays a Tebow ish role (which has been mentioned 5 gazillion times by the media)...but who knows...until USC game when TOEJAM has the Condoms go after his knees...
If he does play a Tebow role, then it will be limited because OSU is so deep this season that there may not be a need to get him a bunch of reps this season unless its during garbage time.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

yeah but he makes an impact from the angle of that running/throwing threat...or some sort of option look...that is where the impact will come...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I was thinking of adding Scott to the list, but The Buffs are so deep in RB talent this season that he may be sharing carries with two other freshman standouts.

Either way, Colorado is going to make some noise in the north this year.
the Stewart kid who appears to have been under-recruited out of Ohio has been impressive in practice but he's a Sproles/Quentin Griffin type back they say. they may split carries, but i think they'll use Stewart in the slot to get them both on the field. the other guy, Polk, there was talk Darien Hagan (RB coach) wanted him to RS, but Polk said he'd rather play special teams.

as far as noise, i think CU fans have good reason to be optimistic and if they had a run of the mill North type OOC they'd be a solid bet to win 7-9 games. but, schedule is tough. if i was a CU fan, i'd take 7 wins and an Insight.com bid right now no questions asked and keep building for 09 and 10. to contend in conference they are gonna have to win 2/3 out of UT in Boulder or at College Station or NU in Lincoln...and have to be perfect at home outside UT. No slips against KSU and ISU (teams that have kinda given the Buffs fits) and win what will likely be a track meet against OSU.

CU is gonna score points, the D is the question.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

These two for OU could have an impact ....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/articl ... NORMA84616
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Andrew Jones TE Missouri 4 star, so really 4 1/2-5 star if from tejas, florida, or cali

With Chase Coffman still having problems with injuries, Jones walks right into a perfect situation for a Pass catching TE. he could have a huge season, especially with Alexander out(till 5th game), Perry struggling, and Coffmans injury issues. Already getting major reps with 1st team(2nd on depth chart) , he could be a big target for Daniel in the end zone. 4-8 td's not a stretch, 40-60 catches also attainable.

He was a huge get last year. showing Te's that you will make them part of the spread, especially in 2 TE, 2 WR sets allows you to get that TE who might of gone elsewhere, thinking they wouldnt get many reps in a spread offense.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I've heard some good things about Miller and Owens, but OU is so deep at running back and Bradford is so good at spreading the ball around, that I think their impact will just get lost in the shuffle with all of the other players having balanced numbers.

It's good problem to have when you're that deep at OU.
Last edited by RumpleForeskin on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I'll go with Michael Floyd, WR for Notre Dame. The kid is the best WR that ND has signed since Randy Moss and I expect him to come in and play from day one, and start by mid season. He's an explosive WR and was one of the top 2-3 WR's recruited last year.

A couple of other kids that will play a lot for ND are Kyle Rudolph and Robert Blanton.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

The kid is the best WR that ND has signed since Randy Moss
A good "Catholic" boy like Randy couldn't get into ND?? I'm shocked!

Any chance Dayne Crist gets a look this year if "Frosted Tips" struggles again? Or is Charlie content on redshirting him?
Killian

Post by Killian »

He got in, he just never completed his application. Tgat and his racial fight in HS.

I don't expect Clausen to struggle, but no, Crist will red shirt. He's behind Evan Sharpley.

Also, Ethan Johnson will play a lot.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

1 Julio Jones, BAMA
2 DaQuan Bowers, Clemson
3 Will Hill, UF
4 Terrelle Pryor, tOSU
5 Arthur Brown, Miami
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Whether they make an impact or not, Shaw and McGuffie should be plenty of playing time as freshman for Michigan.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'll go with Pryor. I think he's going to get on the field and make a couple of electrifying plays early in the season...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I think any list has to have Jaquizz Rodgers of Oregon State on it. Dude scored more rushing TDs than anyone in Texas HS football history and will likely play huge minutes for the Beavers.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Blake Ayles. #1 TE in the 2008 recruiting class, Fred Davis is gone and Ayles has looked more polished and a better route runner than Anthony McCoy in a TE happy Trojans Offense with a head coach who has shown a great amount of confidence in True Freshman players.

he should make a pretty big impact this season
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

In Ann Arbor there will be many contributing freshman in a season of change. The offense has been gutted by graduation, transfer, and early draft entry.

At slot reciever Martavious Odoms will start. This is a very important position in the RR offensive scheme. Odoms will get quite a few touches right off the bat in the Utah game.

WR Darryl Stoneum will get alot of snaps. With alot of running plays between the qb's and rb's and quick passes to the slot guys Stoneum may not get alot of balls his way early, but I look for him to be a solid contributer as a frosh.

With Kevin Grady suspended the RB corps was a tad thin with upper classman Brandon Minor expected to be the workhorse. Watch for both Michael Shaw and YouTube sensation Sam McGuffie to see significant playing time. Shaw fits the slot reciever role as well and McGuffie will probably see the ball via draw plays and screen passes. I would love to see these two kids utilized as much as possible by getting them the ball in space. With only one member of the o-line with any significant experience RR will rely on 3 step drops, end arounds, and mis-direction plays.

The defensive side of the ball will be UM's strength. But CB Boubacar Cissoko has impressed and should start opposite last years super frosh Donovan Warren.

edit. I forgot about senior starting cb Morgan Trent. So Cissoko will be the third cb.

Go Blue!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Andrew Luck for Stanfurd.... a Houston kid.

His dad is Oliver Luck who played for the Houston Oilers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at qb for the furd this season. Sooner than later.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Nigel Bradham will be starting at LB for FSU. Could be a special player.

Also, Marcus White will be showing out from the DE spot, he is not a true freshman...but heh...he's a freshman for us :) ...on the field at least.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

TheChief wrote:Nigel Bradham will be starting at LB for FSU. Could be a special player.

As of now he isn't starting. He's 2nd Team WLB behind Verdell. When Dekoda comes back for Colorado I could see him or Kendall moving to WLB and the other playing SLB.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Cicero wrote:
TheChief wrote:Nigel Bradham will be starting at LB for FSU. Could be a special player.

As of now he isn't starting. He's 2nd Team WLB behind Verdell. When Dekoda comes back for Colorado I could see him or Kendall moving to WLB and the other playing SLB.
Maybe I should have clarified. I believe he will be starting by the end of the season. Appreciate the effort, but I really don't need any help on who plays for FSU and what position they will play.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I wasn't sure how closely you followed the day-to-day.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

RumpleForeskin wrote:1. Julio Jones - his leaping abilities and athleticism makes for a standout freshman year. This kid has got sick talent and I expect him to make an immediate impact for the Crimson Tide offense.

4 catches - 28 yards - 1 TD

2. DeAndre Brown - playing against inferior competition in a mid-major conference will allow this freshman phenom to shine for the Golden Eagles. His height and speed will overshadow a lot of undersized DBs in C-USA

4 catches - 92 yards - 1 TD

3. Robert Griffin - When Kevin Kolb was a freshman at UofH, he stepped right in for Art Briles system and broke multiple freshman records. I see the same thing happening for Robert Griffin when he is named starting QB for the Baylor Bears.

11/19 125 yards 0TD 0INT, 11 carries 29 yards - 1 TD

4. Randall Cobb - Exit Andre Woodsen, enter Randall Cobb. Kentucky will struggle around the .500 mark this season, but Randall Cobb will have a solid year as starting QB for the Wildcats in blue.

3 catches - 31yards

5. Josh Haden - No Matt Ryan, so the Eagles will feature a more aggressive running attack and Haden is the guy to lead that attack. Watch for Haden to gain over a thousand yards on the ground and catch another 300 out of the backfield.

15 carries 66 yards
4 out of 5 ain't bad. I guess they are going to ease Cobb into the role, but everyone else is getting significant playing time. Griffin is going to be a stud.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Cicero wrote:I wasn't sure how closely you followed the day-to-day.
I think he actually gets paged when a name on the starting line-up changes.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian

Post by Killian »

Killian wrote:I'll go with Michael Floyd, WR for Notre Dame. The kid is the best WR that ND has signed since Randy Moss and I expect him to come in and play from day one, and start by mid season. He's an explosive WR and was one of the top 2-3 WR's recruited last year.
First pass reception in an ND uniform went for a TD. Started against UofM and was a big part of the game plan, even though he only had one reception. Drew two PI calls that set up TD's for ND on the very next plays.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

McGuffie through 3 games...213 yards rushing, 4.3 yards per carry, 1 TD / 9 catches for 101 yards, 1 TD...also 0 fumbles, which is good considering how bad Michigan has been with turnovers so far.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Chris Harper, true frosh Oregon QB, now has 100 rushing yards, 1 passing TD and 2 rushing TDs through 3 games. And with the injury to Roper, looks like he's going to have to make an even bigger impact the rest of the season.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

So here are the grades as decided by me at this point in the season. Tough to compare offense and defense, but I will do my best. For the top guys I have their stats on the season and the first poster to mention their name in the thread. Further I am trusting you guys that you put true frosh on this list and not RS frosh or Soph, etc. If you indicated as such I hope I removed them.

1) Jaquizz Rodgers - Oregon State - RB - 228 carries for 1089 yards and 27 catches for 239 yards and 11 TDs. Three time PAC 10 Offensive Player of the week. Doak Walker Award Semi-Finalist. (Left Seater)

2) Robert Griffin - Baylor - QB - 1759 yards passing on 220 attempts with 688 yards rushing on 143 carries, 23 TDs total. Only two INTs on the season and set a record for best start to a season by a true frosh before first INT. Behind Quizz because he has disappeared against the better opponents. (Rumple)

3) Terrelle Pryor - Ohio State - QB - 1076 yards passing on 129 attempts with 3 INTs and 450 yards rushing on 103 carries, 14 total TDs. Has the most talent around him of the top three frosh. (Buckeye_in_sc)

4) DeAndre Brown - Southern Miss - WR - 933 yards on 55 catches and 2 yards on 1 carry. Also has returned two kicks for 27 yards. 11 TD catches on the season. Would rate maybe a spot higher if he didn't pad these stats in three games against absolute crap. (Rumple)

The remainder in order without stats.

5) Michael Floyd ND
6) Sam McGuffie Michigan
7) Julio Jones Bama
8) Don'ta Hightower Bama
9) Darrell Scott Colorado
10) Randall Cobb Kentucky
11) Martavious Odoms Michigan
12) Josh Haden BC
13) DaQuan Bowers Clemson
14) Kyle Rudolph ND
15) Chris Harper Oregon
16) Nigel Bradham Florida State
17) Darryl Stoneum Michigan
18) Michael Shaw Michigan
19) Jameel Owens Oklahoma
20) Robert Blanton ND
21) Boubacar Cissoko Michigan
22) Andrew Jones Missouri
23) Blake Ayles USC
24) Dejuan Miller Oklahoma
25) Jerrell Harris Bama
26) Will Hill Florida, Andrew Luck Stanford, Arthur Brown Miami
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Didn't realize this was going to happen so soon either but Mike Brewster true freshman OL is the starting center now for OSU...harkens back to Mangold in 2002 I believe...awesome though I was right on the shit qb from PA...