Michelle Wie sucks(still)

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Michelle Wie sucks(still)

Post by Blitzkrieg »

HONOLULU (AP) -- It's back to school for Michelle Wie.

The 15-year-old sophomore never had a chance to make the cut Friday in the Sony Open, taking three putts from 8 feet for a triple bogey on her sixth hole and losing more ground from there. She shot a 4-over 74 to finish 17 shots behind Shigeki Maruyama, and seven shots below the cut line.

"I think I tried too hard," Wie said. "After missing the cut by one last year, I think I took for granted that I was going to play better. Last year, everything went too easily."

Most girls her age don't mind having a weekend off. Wie had grandiose plans.

She was trying to become the first female in 60 years to make the cut on the PGA Tour, and had high hopes after missing by one shot last year. If everything went perfect, she thought she could finish in the top 20.

Wie had to settle for a tie with European Ryder Cup player Paul Casey at 9-over 149. She wound up tied for 128th place, still better than 14 other men.

Her mother brushed dried streaks of tears from her cheeks, and a box of tissue was at her feet after two emotionally draining days on the PGA Tour.

"I'm going for some retail therapy," Wie said, a teenager's term for shopping.

Maruyama holed a bunker shot for eagle on the par-5 ninth for a 65, giving him a one-shot lead over Justin Rose and Brett Quigley going into a weekend at Waialae Country Club that will be missing its biggest star.

Another huge gallery had little reason to cheer.

Wie picked up her first birdie with an 8-foot putt on the 10th hole, but by then it was too late. There was no drama like last year, when she birdied two of her last three holes for a 68 to miss the cut by one shot.

Her lengthy stride gave way to slumped shoulders, and Wie stared at the turf after each shot missed the green.

The only consolation was her finish.

She hit a wedge into 10 feet and holed the putt for birdie, then walked off the 18th green with a rare smile.

ESPN, which stayed with her until the conclusion of her round last year, this time switched to an NBA game after Wie made her third bogey in four holes at the par-4 16th.

Wie goes back to the Punahou School, but not for long. She will return to professional ranks next month on the LPGA Tour for the SBS Open across the island at Turtle Bay, then play twice more on the LPGA before spring break.

As for next year?

"I want another chance because I know I can do better than this," Wie said.

Two-time defending champion Ernie Els believes Wie should get another sponsor's exemption to the Sony Open.

"That is not throwing an invite away," he said. "It's phenomenal what she is doing for the game."

Maruyama made it look easy, jumping into contention by playing a three-hole stretch around the turn in 4 under par -- an 8-iron to 3 feet on the eighth, holing the bunker shot for eagle on the par-5 ninth, and making a 20-foot birdie on the 10th. He held it together the rest of the way and was at 8-under 132.

"I was worried about my game, first tournament of the year," he said. "I'm not nervous now."

Quigley (67) was tied for the lead until missing the green on No. 16 for a bogey. Rose holed out from a bunker on the brutal first hole for birdie, but gave that shot away by missing the par-5 ninth with a 7-iron and settling for par. Still, the 24-year-old Englishman will be in the last group Saturday.

And the tournament still has some familiar faces.

Past champions Paul Azinger and Jeff Sluman, each with 68, were in the large group at 5-under 135 that included Ryder Cup captain Tom Lehman (68) and Stewart Cink (69).

Other familiar faces included Vijay Singh, the No. 1 player who salvaged a suspect round with a 30-foot eagle putt on his last hole for a 68, putting him five shots off the lead. Els hit the ball close all day and had to settle for a 67, leaving him another shot behind.

"That could have been a 60, I promise you," Els said.

Other familiar faces had some wrinkles, as all four Champions Tour players made the cut -- Peter Jacobsen, Craig Stadler, Tom Kite and Dick Mast, who qualified Monday and shot 64, leaving him six shots behind.

Adam Scott shot 65 to move into contention at 4-under 136. It also put him well ahead of a certain 15-year-old.

No one got ridiculed quite like Scott a year ago. His swing coach, Butch Harmon, routinely plastered photos of Wie inside of his locker the rest of the year.

Does he expected a call from Harmon?

"He should be congratulating me, really," Scott said. "The amount of (stuff) he gave me last year, I'd be disappointed if he didn't. I've squared it up, 1-1."

Wie was hopeful of not going 0-for-2 on the PGA Tour, although she put herself in a tough spot by making only one birdie in the first-round 75. She needed a 67 to make the cut, but never came close.

Wie hung in nicely, saving par on four of the first five holes with a collection of good chips and putts.

But it all came undone on No. 6 when she missed her first fairway of the second round, into the right rough and blocked slightly by tall, skinny palms.

First, she tried to play a low hook around the trees and never got back to the short grass. Her wedge with a third shot came up just short, and she had to chip over a knoll. Needing an 8-footer to make bogey, she ran the putt some 4 feet by, then lipped out to take 7.

Wie stared blankly, and the shock was evident.

After missing good birdies chances on the next three holes, she made the turn at 8 over par, in a tie for 125th. After her birdie on the 10th, she started missing greens and the par putts got longer.

"The shoes get heavier and your confidence goes down," Wie said. "When I made a couple of bogeys, that's when you know it's not your day."

War Vijay Singh making the cut in an LPGA event.
Defense wins championships.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That's one confusing freaking article.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

shes got butterface, but id licker in the front and poker in the rear if i wasnt married and she wasnt 12

nice boobies too, btw.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

^^^ RACK!!!
verbal
nine inch male

Post by verbal »

shes a great ball stroker
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I could never get with a chick that could beat me at golf. And I pretty much tag anything that moves. But, there's just certain values a man's got to hold dear.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

She isn't in the same league as the male players on the PGA but she could kick all of our asses. :oops:
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

I'd hit it BTW.
Defense wins championships.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:That's one confusing freaking article.
i totally agree.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

If she's going to compete with the men on any level, she needs to bulk up with about 20 or so lbs of muscle. When it comes to physical training, she will need to outwork guys like Tiger and Vijay just to be at the level of your average touring pro. That being said, she has the swing and the attitude to compete out there. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that she will dominate the LPGA tour within the next 10 years.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:If she's going to compete with the men on any level
The very fact you typed that speaks volumes about her, doesn't it?

She stripes it 300 down the fairway, which is hard to believe for any woman, much less a 15yo girl. Of course, it often takes her 4 more shots to hit the green after a rocket off the tee(which I would know NOTHING about), but she'll get there.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Sucks?

She is 15 and a female.

What the fuck do you expect from her? A US Open title.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
8 Ball
Fuckin' Noob

Post by 8 Ball »

Really sucks to be the 12-15 guys that played worse than she did.
Poor kid , She either will totally dominate the LPGA Tour when Annika is
spent or be in a Mental Home drooling in a cup. Right now i say its 50/50
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:If she's going to compete with the men on any level
The very fact you typed that speaks volumes about her, doesn't it?
No shit it does. I also said that she will be the dominant female golfer on the planet within the next 10 years. And that is being VERY conservative.
She stripes it 300 down the fairway, which is hard to believe for any woman, much less a 15yo girl. Of course, it often takes her 4 more shots to hit the green after a rocket off the tee(which I would know NOTHING about), but she'll get there.
The wind was what really did her in this year. Wie just isn't strong enough to play the kind of low boring punch shots the men were playing to keep the ball under the wind. Though I must say, she deserves huge props for TRYING to hit the punch shots.

The point is, that Michelle Wie is going to need to display a level of dedication to personal training and fitness above and beyond what any current touring pro is currently doing just to get somewhere close to their strength levels.

Or maybe she can call BALCO.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown