"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mal
Keepin' it real

Cooking advise on seafood?

Post by Mal »

A little help please.

So here's the deal.

Got a few fresh salmon steaks and a few whole lobsters.

I've done the BBQ thing with the salmon before and it turns out pretty good but I'm looking for some fresh ideas.

As far as lobster goes I don't have a fucking clue.

Help a brotha out.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

wrap both dawgs in tinfoil with liquid (white wine, olive oil, italian dressing to name a few) and broil on grill
mvscals blow monkey spunk
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

i always wrap salmon in foil and a stick of butter plus seasoning and broil. alot of times the skin sticks to the foil but if you spray it with some butter spray or whatever that doesnt happen. i always forget to do that and my fav orite paret is the scales. i end up sucking in the foil to get the grizzle off. im pretty degenerate when it comes to cooking.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

My favorite salmon treatment is a marinade of soy sauce, oil (olive, usually), brown sugar, fresh ginger root (key) and some cayenne. Marinate for a while and then broil on the bottom rack until the edges of the fish start to brown and crisp up.

As for the lobster... Alton Brown (the geek of Good Eats on Food Network) did a whole episode on them and he is usually a very dependable source. I can't find any specifics, but you might have better luck searching for it.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

salmon: dice many roma tomatos after deseeding them. put in medium mixing bowl. with lemon juice, chopped FRESH mint, dried tarragon, thyme, garlic XVOO. salt pepper.

broil salmon in the broiler (or cranked oven) in a shallow ceramic baking dish with XVOO and white wine and black pepper for about 7-10 minutes. flip the salmon and spoon over the tomato mixture. finish salmon in tomato mixture. don't overcook.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Salmon filets and steaks need to be treated somwheat differently from each other. For salmon, my favorite used to be steaks because I couldn't grill a filet without having it fall apart on me. I've pretty much figured out the filets now and that's what I usually buy.

Here's how I do it.
I always get them with the skin on, and this is using a gas grill. Put the filet on a cookie sheet or something similar, skin down. Paint the flesh with EVOO, then season with whatever you want. I usually just use garlic salt and pepper. When the grill is good and hot (the rack should be pretty clean or the fish will stick) put the filet on the grill, skin side UP. Let it grill that way for 3 or 4 minutes, with the cover down. Turn it over, reduce the heat under the fish to medium and grill for another 6 or 7 minutes. The time depends on the thickness of the filet, obviously. Remove from the grill and serve. The skin might burn a little, but that's OK because it protects the meat and you don't eat it anyway.

Alternate method if you're afraid of grilling the filet directly -
Put it skin side down on some foil, with the shiny side up. Heat the grill up to high heat. Season as above with EVOO, etc. Place the fish and the foil in the center of the grill and turn the center burner off, leaving the outside burners on high. Pull up the edges of the foil a little so none of the juices or fat drain off the foil. Close the lid and cook for 15 - 20 minutes in this high indirect heat. Remove the fish/foil to a cookie sheet. The skin will probably stick to the foil but you can slide the meat right off of it.

One other thing...you can usually get farm raised salmon pretty cheap but I won't buy it anymore. Not after reading about the shit they feed it. That nice pink color is nothing but food coloring.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Go to Red Lobster.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Red Lobster?

Good lord, why not just go to Long John Silvers. It's cheaper.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

One thing Dins taught me that works very well; smear mayo on the skin of the Salmon before grilling. I HATE mayo, but after 15 minutes on the grill it helps to slide the skin right off and you won't taste it a bit.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bout time I get some freaking credit. Doesn't matter if you like mayo or not, since it imparts no flavor to the fish. It just provides a means of making the oil stick to it longer to melt the skin away, whereas butter just melts off immediately.

Never question a U&Ler's salmon cooking technique. I think Moorese went over the alder-planking trick in the past, which is a great way to que up salmon.

Speaking of, it's about getting to be that spring chinook time of year. The spring runs are a leaner fish, less body fat, more muscle. And we can fish for the suckers right smack-dab in the middle of Downtown. BODE. Of course, the river is so polluted, that they actually have guidelines as to how much fish you can safely eat out of there, but we'll ignore that, so as to not negate any of the BODE.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

A nice easy accompaniment to BBQ salmon fillets

3/4 cup Praise 97% fat free mayo
1/4 cup chopped fresh corriander
1/4 cup Sweet chilli sauce
1 fresh lime lime juiced

mix together & dollop on Salmon before serving

BBQ sweet potato slices are yummo with fish too
I brush them with EVO then sprinkle on some masterfoods garlic plus before grilling
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried