Roasted Garlic Popcorn and Chocolate Popcorn

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Roasted Garlic Popcorn and Chocolate Popcorn

Post by indyfrisco »

I have done this by popping my own corn as well as using microwave popcorn. If you use microwave popcorn, find some that is just plain if you can. Otherwise, use light butter. I like to control my own salt in this.

So, here goes.

I roasted a whole head of garlic in my garlic roaster. Takes 27 minutes. If you use an oven, cut the tip of the heads off, drizzle with EVOO and a pinch of salt and wrap it in a foil pouch. Put in baking dish and cook at 375* for about 1 hour.

Once you have your roasted garlic, squeeze all the mushy roasted garlic out of the skins. Mash them up a bit.

Now, take a stick of unsalted butter and microwave it until melted. I have one of those Magic Bullet gadgets, but you can do this in a blender or mini food processor.

Pour the butter, 1 tsp sea salt and the mashed garlic into whatever it is you are mixing it in. Liquify the concoction as much as you can. Pour over popcorn tossing it often. Grate some parm cheese ever so slightly onto the popcorn.

Good eats, mang.

One of my other favorite popcorns is Chocolate Popcorn. I always get a bag of plain M&Ms with my popcorn when I go to the movies. Love to get a mouthful of corn and pop in one M&M. The sweet and salty mix is heavenly.

So, chocolate popcorn is very simple. Get some good chocolate. I like to do a mix of dark and milk chocolate. use a microplane and grate it over the hot corn as it comes out of the microwave. That's it. Very simple and very good.

As I'm a huge fan of popcorn, I'd entertain other recipes. I've done a dill pickle popcorn before too, but I don't remember all of the ingredients offhand.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Roasted Garlic Popcorn and Chocolate Popcorn

Post by Mikey »

From the title of the thread I thought the garlic and chocolate were going on the same popcorn.

That would have been interesting.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:That would have been interesting.
At first thought...that would be gross. But you can't knock it...

I love to get Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream and crunch up saltine crackers all over it and add Hershey's chocolate syrup. My wife gagged when she first saw me doing it. I made her take a bite and she doesn't want it any other way now. The crackers basically are a salty cone crushed up.

Sometimes the oddest combinations can be the best tasting. However, I'll let you do the Garlic and Chocolate Popcorn experiment and report back.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

A slice of Spam between two Graham crackers.

Sounds gorss but it tasted really good in the middle of a 20 mile hike when I was about 16. Haven't had the balls to try it again since.

Mix canned tuna with mayonnaise as if you were going to make a "normal" tuna sandwich. Continue by spreading tuna on bread (sourdough preferably, but it doesn't really matter). Spread a generous layer of Lay's bbq potato chips on top of the tuna. Put second piece of bread on top of chips and press down to slightly flatten the sandwich. It helps keep the chips in place if you put a nice layer of mayo on the top piece of bread.

Wash down with a large glass of Nestles Quick. The powdered version preferably.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Take a can of pork and beans and 3 hot dogs cut into 3/4" pieces. Microwave covered for 3 minutes. Take a piece of toast and put on a plate, spread some beanie weenies over toast, put a slice or two of american cheese on top. Microwave for 20 seconds to melt cheese. Eat with knife and fork. Yummy.

Take can of tuna and strain water. Put into a pot of Kraft mac n cheese with some tobasco. Yummy.

Two of my all time favorite quick fix meals my mom used to make for me. I still have them a couple times a month.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

mikey,

I did a fair bit of extended backpacking trips as a teen. I did an outward bound course in north carolina when I was 17. So, I can say from experience that pretty much anyfukkingthing tastes awesome after a long hike. Must have something to do with just having burned a few million calories that makes your body not too particular about how it replenishes itself.

rack the fukk out of the garlic popcorn idea. I have been thinking to myself that garlic and popcorn ought to be pretty awesome. I will give this a shot.

I will also pass this on to a dude I work with. He has a side business pedaling popcorn at fairs and such. I think he might be interested in it.

Here's another popcorn idea that I have tried and it is money. tabasco, or any other hot sauce over fresh popcorn. it is great.

another good combo is peanut butter/honey. Gotta go with REAL peanut butter, not the processed peanut cornsyrup butter.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

IndyFrisco wrote:Take can of tuna and strain water.
what kind of pussy buys non oily tuna?

the franks and beans recipe is similar to one i grew up on. big fan.

fried salami and hot pepper jack cheese on ritz crackers is my new favorite. accidently drop a can of tomato soup and anything else you can find in the pantry and thats my number two.

i had a bad dream about the canned salmon i have, so im not sure what to do about it.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

bbqjones wrote:
Have had tuna in water since I was a kid. Can honestly say I have never knowingly eaten the tuna in oil. Just never had the desire to as I like the tuna in water.

Care to elaborate on why the tuna in oil is better?
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Weird food combos? I dig crunchy peanut butter on a big hot dog. The salty sweet of the butter is great against the spices and smoked taste of a hot dog.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:
:?

yeccch

Used to use it as a kid. Have never used oil packed tuna since I discovered water packed tuna.

OK maybe some expensive Italian tuna packed in EVOO, but that's different.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:
bbqjones wrote:
Have had tuna in water since I was a kid. Can honestly say I have never knowingly eaten the tuna in oil. Just never had the desire to as I like the tuna in water.

The chef in a restaurant where I once worked explained it to me this way. Many people feel that it is healthier to eat tuna packed in water instead of tuna packed in oil, yet it is generally agreed that tuna packed in oil has a better flavor and texture. However, it has been shown that tuna packed in oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise is actually lower in fat than tuna packed in spring water and mixed with 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Starting with tuna packed in oil allows people to use less mayonnaise to achieve the desired consistency and taste, thereby cutting down on fat and calories and providing a better tasting salad. Another fat-reducing option is rinsing tuna packed in oil with a small stream of water in a strainer to remove excess oil.

However, to get the most Omega-3 fats from your canned tuna, choose water-packed over oil-packed. The oil mixes with some of the tuna's natural fat, so when you drain oil-packed tuna, some of its Omega-3 fatty acids also go down the drain. Since oil and water don't mix, water-packed tuna won't leach any of its precious Omega-3s.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Cicatrix wrote:I dig crunchy peanut butter on a big hot dog.
So does my dog.

Sin,
Pikkle