Terrible day gone good

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Terrible day gone good

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Shot me the craziest 88 yesterday.

I start off bogey-bogey after 3 putting the first two holes, then I tee off on a par 5 and manage to hit it into the woods on the left. I attempt to punch out but hit a tree and landed on the cart path in the process. I take my drop and have an opening to the green. I am 247 out, so I grab the hybrid and was going to have to play a draw over the water and hope it had enough juice to clear. My dumbass didn't take into consideration the wind that was gusting left to right once the ball got out behind the trees. The ball never drew and landed in the middle of the drink. I take my drop. I am now laying 4. I am 128 out with a cross wind. I hit my gap wedge and some how air-mail the green. I have a difficult chip coming back because everything runs down towards the water and the hole is tucked in the back. No green, so I try to flop it. Chunk. Flop again. On the green about 12 feet from the hole. 3-putt. 10.

After three straight pars, I come up to a short par 4 with a very little landing strip pass 250 yards, so I take the conservative approach and decide to hit a 4-iron off the tee. Hook left OB. Tee it again....hook left OB. Tee it one more time and stroke it 230 down the pipe. Knock the second shot 15 feet from the hole and 2-putt for a nice snowman. Make a double on the next hole and then triple-bogey number nine for an all world 52 on the front side.

Tee it up on number 10 and pop up my drive which barely cleared the water, spank a 3-wood close to the green, and manage to chip it on and two putt for a double-bogey. By this time, I am down $88 in the wolf, skins, greenies, and the side bet with a guy in the group.

Beverage cart girl comes arrives as we hit the 11 tee box and by this time, I have thrown in the towel, so I order 3 beers and a turkey sammich. I pound one beer before we even get done teeing off and the turkey sammich is done by the time we get to our second shots. I scramble to make par on number 11. Get up to the 12 tee box, a tricky little par 3 with traps surrounding an elevated green. I crack open a 2nd beer and take two huge gulps before walking up to the box. I just tee it up and swing it. Stuck it 4 feet. Make birdie. Go to 13 and now I am into my 3rd beer in a span of two holes. Tee it up on a par 4 and stripe it down the tube. Knock my second shot 15 feet and make another birdie. All of a sudden, I am only down $40. Go to 14, the #1 handicap hole. Its impossible to hit driver on this hole, but I said "Fuck it".....I hit the big dog and landed it in the only area where it was safe. I throw my partner back, so I am wolfing it. I am 160 out with a strong wind in my face. I hit a solid 7 iron about 10 feet from the cup. Birdie again. Holy fuck. I win $32 on that hole. Hells yeah. I'm only down $8 now. Number 15 is my hole on the wolf and its a par 3. 172 yard with a cross wind helping some. I smoke an 8 iron about 8 feet from the hole. Nobody else is within 30 feet. I wolf it again and make birdie again. $8 for the greenie, $8 for the skin, and another $24 for the wolf. I par 16 and 17, but doubled 18 (OB off the tee) for a solid 36 on the back side. I win the second bet for the side bet but lose the total, so I lose a side bet of $5 which brought my winnings to an unimpressive $27. But hey, I was starring at a triple digit loss had I not turned the corner and reeled off 4 tweeties in a row.

Then, to look at my scorecard and see that I shoot 52-36 was fucking weird. I've never done that before in my life. I remember an HGA event that I played in when I was 16 and managed to shoot 55-40, but the 40 I shot did not include a birdie.

First time I've ever had 4 birdies in a row. I've had 3 straight birdies a handful of times, but never 4. There was something magical about those 3 beers and that turkey sammich.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Terrible day gone good

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I wolf it again and make birdie again. $8 for the greenie, $8 for the skin, and another $24 for the wolf.
Again? In English this time?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Google is your friend.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Google is your friend.
Fucked if I'm going to google that shit. I've been playing for nearly 30 years and have never heard the term "wolf" used in golf.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Wolf is a betting game or points game for a group of four players.
Players rotate being the "Wolf." The player designated as the "Wolf" gets to choose whether to play the hole 1 against 3 (himself against the other three players in the group) or 2 on 2.

And if the Wolf chooses to play 2 on 2, he must choose his partner immediately following that player's drive. Example: Player A is the Wolf. Player B hits a bad drive. Player C hits a pretty good drive. If the Wolf wants C as a partner, he must claim his partner before Player D hits his tee ball.

The side with the lowest better ball score wins the hole. If it's 2 on 2, then the winning side wins the bet. If it's 1 on 3, the Wolf wins double or loses double.

There's also Lone Wolf, in which the Wolf announces before anyone tees off - including himself - that he's going it alone, 1 on 3. On a Lone Wolf hole, the Wolf wins triple or loses triple.
This game has been around forever. This explains it for 4 players, but down here we play Wolf with 5.
Last edited by RumpleForeskin on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Wolf is damn near one of the oldest games in golf. Played it a ton in high school. Not so much anymore. We usually play low-ball/low-total. Used to play wolf all the time when we had 5 people.

Great 3 man game is 5-3-1. 5 points for lowest score on the 9. 3 for second. 1 for last. If 2 tie with a par and one person gets bogey, then it is paid out 4-4-1. If one person pars and there are two bogies, it is 5-2-2. Add up points at the end and pay off per point. Usually play $1/point as these numbers can get big.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote: Again?
he butt rammed his buds to the tune of twenty-seven bucks
get out, get out while there's still time
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

BSmack wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:I wolf it again and make birdie again. $8 for the greenie, $8 for the skin, and another $24 for the wolf.
Again? In English this time?
lots of Crisco at home for the Wolf? :mrgreen:

nice run rumps.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I had 4 birdies on Saturday too....but I played 27 holes.

I went 46-41-37. Best part of the day was when I poked a 320 yard drive on a par 5. We had a 7-some going at that point and no one was within 70 yards of my ball. This was obviously the 3rd 9 where we always group up for a big betting for fun game. Mulligans were bought prior to the last 9 for 1 shot of crown apiece. I only took 1. Never used the Mulligan. Should have done it on the par 3 where I knocked it 10 feet and subsequently 3 putted after hitting my first putt 12 feet by (very slippery putt).
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
BSmack wrote: Again?
he butt rammed his buds to the tune of twenty-seven bucks
That's 9 dollars a friend. There's an old Rome reset waiting to happen.

I guess I'm just not much of a gambler. When I do bet, it's a beer a side and one for the 18.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

IndyFrisco wrote:7-some going at that point

Awesome. I did a 9-some one time at night with glow in the dark golf balls. Alcohol may or may not have been involved.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

BSmack wrote:I guess I'm just not much of a gambler. When I do bet, it's a beer a side and one for the 18.
While Adel does not post here, his ears are burning and he does not know why.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I just typed out a Dinsdale-long, possibly-entertaining account of my day as a sub for my friends' men's league team.

I got sidetracked, and my login timed out, and it was lost.

Summary --

I was, of course, the protagonist. Shit Talking Codger was the antagonist.

After negotiating straight up play (I'm not a USGA or OGA member, and couldn' give a fuck about handicaps), I pounded a 79 year old has-been into the dust.

That was pretty much the gist of my story, although the full-length version was much better.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

No, that was me logging you out like I do trev every couple days. Don't tell her though.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

IndyFrisco wrote:logging you out like I do trev
Well, this certainly does answer some questions of what her vagina looks like.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Wolf is a betting game or points game for a group of four players.
Players rotate being the "Wolf." The player designated as the "Wolf" gets to choose whether to play the hole 1 against 3 (himself against the other three players in the group) or 2 on 2.

And if the Wolf chooses to play 2 on 2, he must choose his partner immediately following that player's drive. Example: Player A is the Wolf. Player B hits a bad drive. Player C hits a pretty good drive. If the Wolf wants C as a partner, he must claim his partner before Player D hits his tee ball.

The side with the lowest better ball score wins the hole. If it's 2 on 2, then the winning side wins the bet. If it's 1 on 3, the Wolf wins double or loses double.

There's also Lone Wolf, in which the Wolf announces before anyone tees off - including himself - that he's going it alone, 1 on 3. On a Lone Wolf hole, the Wolf wins triple or loses triple.
This game has been around forever. This explains it for 4 players, but down here we play Wolf with 5.
We always play four points. First on, closest to, first in, and low score on every hole. Ties carry over to the next hole. Works with two or four, or teams. Losers buy the brew and food on the 19th.
I have a difficult chip coming back because everything runs down towards the water
Play a few courses out along the coast in Monterey CA , and on every green of every hole with an ocean view you have to take into account the water. You have to lay back on a downhill putt that runs towards the ocean AND track it away, or you'll run long. You have to push a putt on level turf that runs away from the water to the hole or it will be short and curl back. Toughest read to make on a deece course out there was a putt 8 feet or more away from the hole and near the ocean. Weird to see the ball act differently under those circumstances but it always does.

Learned my lesson the first time when I had a parallel to the water easy 6 footer and my buddy said " aim right of the hole away from the ocean" and I didn't, and the fucker went short and left, towards the water. I didn't believe it so for the hell of it I tried it again from the same spot with his suggested angle and made it. Fucking ocean bogeyed me that day.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Putts generally break towards the water?

Damn, who knew?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Putts generally break towards the water?

Damn, who knew?
I was going to type that same thing earlier, but then some jackass would post a picture like this asking which way it would break.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I was going to type that same thing earlier, but then some jackass would post a picture like this asking which way it would break.
Well, if it was last Tuesday, and it was me putting, it would break the opposite direction of the hole from where I aimed it.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Played a course up near Scottsdale called Sunridge Canyon a few years back which is basically carved into the side of a mountain. Now, when I played it, there was remnants of a hurricane comingup through Yuma that had the winds gusting anywhere between 30 to 40 mph. Take that into consideration with the green being cut one way, but the valley going the other direction and it made for a very long and difficult afternoon. The only pleasure I got out of that day was blasting a half dozen balls into various cactus.

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Missed eight putts from lengths of 3-5 feet for an unimpressive 79 on Friday. Missed another three putts from 6-10 feet. If I had the short stick working at all, I would have shot my best round in years. I figure on a good day, I'd miss maybe 2 of those 11 putts. I'm about to set fire to my Scotty Cameron and go under a major putting experiment. To have a round in red numbers just starring me in the face and I yacked on it, just made my stomach hurt.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Missed eight putts from lengths of 3-5 feet for an unimpressive 79 on Friday. Missed another three putts from 6-10 feet. If I had the short stick working at all, I would have shot my best round in years. I figure on a good day, I'd miss maybe 2 of those 11 putts. I'm about to set fire to my Scotty Cameron and go under a major putting experiment. To have a round in red numbers just starring me in the face and I yacked on it, just made my stomach hurt.
IMO, putting is about 3 things, proper form, alignment and attitude. And all 3 are equally important. The only thing a new putter can possibly fix is your attitude towards your putting. So if you really think you need to sink massive bucks into a bew flat stick, then go for it. But it is a lot cheaper to follow my lead and putt with a 20 dollar Top Flight putter and just believe that you are Ben Fucking Crenshaw out there.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Since my Anser got ripped off, I went with a knockoff -- made by Milwaukee Tools... I call it The Sawzall.

It doesn't know what name is printed on it. Dynamic Gold shaft, Golf Pride tour grip... works just fine.

While technique is key to everything, I find that when I walk up with confidence and just whack the ball without a lot of routine, I tend to make a whole bunch more putts, and when I get in that groove, the short ones become automatic.

Just a matter of finding that groove.

Sin,
Rarely Anymore