NHRA Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta KILLED

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

NHRA Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta KILLED

Post by RevLimiter »

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. -- Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

State police confirmed that the 46-year-old Kalitta, a two-time Top Fuel champion who had 18 career victories, was killed in the accident.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/nh ... id=3455554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Scott....you were a GREAT guy and a helluva driver. :( :( :(
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Re: NHRA Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta KILLED

Post by Bobby42 »

Just caught word of it. Damn.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I saw the video on ESPN. Dude burst into flames and then crashes head on into the wall at the end of the track at speed. I guess he couldn't slow down.

Scary fucking shit.

Why the fuck was a wall there, instead of hay bales or something to absorb an impact that great?
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Here's the pass and the ensuing explosion and crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
War Wagon wrote:I saw the video on ESPN. Dude burst into flames and then crashes head on into the wall at the end of the track at speed. I guess he couldn't slow down.

Scary fucking shit.

Why the fuck was a wall there, instead of hay bales or something to absorb an impact that great?
Wags, I've NEVER seen a brick wall built that close to a sand trap at the end of a dragstrip before....but then again I've never seen a Funny Car explode that violently and lose the chutes like Scott's did and then blow right through the sand trap like it wasn't even there to do what it did either. Stuff like this definitely reminds you of your mortality and that if you participate in the same sport (as I do) that there's a reason why they make you use certain seat belts or certain helmets or spec out the rollcage to a certain dimension. I just got back from a race tonight, and when we heard the news at the track about Scott I frankly didn't want to race anymore tonight.....in fact I'm STILL completely sick to my stomach about Scott's death.
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Thankfully he didn't take any spectators with him.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

RevLimiter wrote:Here's the pass and the ensuing explosion and crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
War Wagon wrote:I saw the video on ESPN. Dude burst into flames and then crashes head on into the wall at the end of the track at speed. I guess he couldn't slow down.

Scary fucking shit.

Wags, I've NEVER seen a brick wall built that close to a sand trap at the end of a dragstrip before....but then again I've never seen a Funny Car explode that violently and lose the chutes like Scott's did and then blow right through the sand trap like it wasn't even there to do what it did either. Stuff like this definitely reminds you of your mortality and that if you participate in the same sport (as I do) that there's a reason why they make you use certain seat belts or certain helmets or spec out the rollcage to a certain dimension. I just got back from a race tonight, and when we heard the news at the track about Scott I frankly didn't want to race anymore tonight.....in fact I'm STILL completely sick to my stomach about Scott's death.
On another board that I post at, someone that's familiar with it explained it like this:
When a nitro funny car blows up & is on fire under the body it burns so hot out the back of the car it will suffocate the parachutes & they wont deploy properly. At 1000' it exploded, blew 2/3 of the body off & the chutes automatically come out since their mounted on the body & when it leaves the chassis they come out of their packs. When parachutes twirl behind the car that means they didnt come of out the packs properly & most likely came out sideways & either folded or tangled & didnt slow the car. Also it doesnt look like the brakes were on much, if at all. When a bare chassis is rolling & the brakes are pulled the car will bounce a few times & then actualy leave the ground & bounce like a ball. Maybe he got knocked out from the concusion (hopefully) because that car was 'at speed' when it went into the sand. After that it was very unfortunate

A still picture of his car engulfed in flames...
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

the great debate will now be about the "traditional" Race Tracks.....and their alottment of "track space."

.....errr......shutdown area.

the Spring Nationals that were ALWAYS at National Trail over Father's Day....is no longer there because the Rader Family couldn't BUY the Farmers LAND at the END of the TRACK to expand the shutdown area. (for awhile; they allowed an x-tra run-off area....yeah, they opened a Gate.)

hence, the OHIO Race is moved to Norwalk.

with heavy hearts...my wife and i will be going to Norwalk this weekend.

godspeed to the Kalitta Family.

and, don't be too quick to put this on the NHRA's Safety Crew....they are VERY well prepared.

this is a Single TRACK Issue.

very SAD.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

When I saw the crash, I assumed he died instantly and painlessly.

Then I read this morning that he actually died at the care center shortly after being brought in.

That really sucks.

I'd rather he had gone out the way #3 did.

Paul, I knew nothing about the guy before this, but from all I've read and heard, I can understand how you must feel. Dude won at Heartland Park Topeka in 1993, and I'm sure you were there at the time to see it.

My sincere condolences. It must feel like you've lost a family member.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Wags, I met Scott Kalitta at the NHRA race in St. Louis about 5 years ago- he was there as a spectator (he was retired at the time) watching and helping out his cousin Doug Kalitta's Top Fuel team. I ran into him at a concession stand (save your stupid fat jokes this time, Goobs) there, introduced myself, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy to talk to. Two years ago at HPT in Topeka I got to talk to him while a good friend of mine who works for NHRA as a tech inspector was looking over his Funny Car in the tech area after he made a qualifying pass...Scott remembered me from St .louis a few years prior and we talked like we'd known each other for years.

See, that's the cool thing about MOST of the Pro drivers in NHRA Drag Racing- they're down to earth everyday folks just like you and me. The ONLY driver who's ever "big-leagued" me at a NHRA race was Gary Scelzi, and I'll always wish for him to NEVER win a round as long as he races. Hell, at Topeka this year I'm standing by the timeslip shack at the end of the pits where the return road goes back into the pits and I hear a guy yell from behind me,"Well shit, they'll let all kinds in this place don't they?"....I IMMEDIATELY recognize his voice, and turn around to be greeted by none other than John Force himself, who STILL remembers me from back when I was a teenager handing out timeslips at KCIR. Just about the coolest moment I've ever had at a racetrack.

Anyway, enough about that....yeah Wags, I DO feel kinda like I lost a family member. I felt the same way when Eric Medlen was killed last year, and when Darrell Russell was killed at St. Louis back in '04. I just feel so badly for their families, knowing that their kids will never see their dads again. BUT....these guys know the risks when they strap into those piston-driven rocket launchers and NHRA's safety record up to this point has been pretty good, but some tracks (like Englishtown this weekend) just have too short of a shutdown area for 330+mph cars to safely get stopped in the event like what Scott Kalitta went through on Saturday.

Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Paully/Dave

i talked with 'my pops' about this tonight. he didn't have "real" inside info(as he wasn't working the Event)......but, he called an Official who was there.

its an INSTANT Reflex to Pull the Chutes when on Fire.

AND that didn't happen.

the thought is that something HIT SK when it blew up....knocking him out.

'pops' said that the CAR didn't SLOW DOWN much going into the Sand Trap....

SK was "alive" when taken from the Track.

unfortunately, we'll learn more later...but; we've lost a Family Friend.

T and P to Kalitta Flying Services, Conrad and all of the Family.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Q, I talked to a buddy of mine who is the Tech Director for NHRA's Division 5 territory, and he told me that Scott was literally BEHEADED and torn limb from limb when his car went through the wall after the sand trap and into the trees behind it. In fact, his car literally bounced OVER the net AND the sand trap when it hit that wall. Talk about messed up....:shock:
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

yeah, unfortuneatly i can confirm that.

not a good situation at all.

Norwalk Race did great tributes to honor SK's life/career.

RACK Doug Herbert's WIN....helping to heal the loss of his son's.

pretty good race day...'cept for the rain delays.