Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Big 10 Conference OOC Slate

Post by PSUFAN »

Ranked for toughness by Matt Hayes of TSN:

Code: Select all

1. Michigan State: at California, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Notre Dame
2. Michigan: Utah, Miami (OH), at Notre Dame, Toledo
3. Purdue: Northern Colorado, Oregon, Central Michigan, at Notre Dame
4. Penn State: Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, at Syracuse, Temple
5. Ohio State: Youngstown State, Ohio, at USC, Troy
6. Illinois: at Missouri (St. Louis), Eastern Illinois, Louisiana-Lafayette, at Western Michigan (Detroit)
7. Northwestern: Syracuse, at Duke, Southern Illinois, Ohio
8. Iowa: Maine, Florida International, Iowa State, at Pittsburgh
9. Wisconsin: Akron, Marshall, at Fresno State, Cal Poly
10. Indiana: Western Kentucky, Murray State, Ball State, Central Michigan
11. Minnesota: Northern Illinois, at Bowling Green, Montana State, Florida Atlantic 
Actually, the OOC of every conference is listed there.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big 10 Conference OOC Slate

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Wow...some sloppy seconds making the rounds in the Big 10 (sup FLA Atlantic and Syracuse)...

I am sure every conference but the Pac 10 of course (according to schumck) plays shitty teams...heck LSU has Appy State, no body and no body...of course that will help with no QB with any measureable playing time...

I like Bama v Clemson, ASU v UGA, USC v tOSU...some really good OOC games though...

good find...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ohio State earns cool points for traveling to the Coliseum to face SC. A lot will depend on how good the Irish are going to be...they play their customary three Big Ten teams this year. Purdue could end with a tough road with Oregon and Notre Dame. MSU traveling to Cal is probably the second toughest road game on the Big Ten OCC. Definitely see a lot of MAC/directional Midwest schools on the slate as well...a sign of the times. Of the contenders in the Big Ten, Wisconsin's schedule is an absolute joke compared to the likes of Illinois, Michigan and Ohio State. Penn State is pretty sad as well.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

It remains to be seen how ND will look this year. That could turn out to be a great benefit or an eyesore to one's schedule. Wisconsin has had a solid program for a few years but they've been pulling an SEC by piling up on OOC cupcakes and staying within the top 25 that way. It isn't extremely difficult to get ranked by going 4-0 out the gate, and then racking up a few Ws against conference slappys.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shoalzie wrote:Of the contenders in the Big Ten, Wisconsin's schedule is an absolute joke compared to the likes of Illinois, Michigan and Ohio State.
Looks to me like Illinois and Ohio State each have one quality team OOC. I don’t see any for Michigan. Colin Cowherd says Fresno State is a BCS team this year, and Bucky is traveling to their place. Go fuck your cousin yourself.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Wisconsin is going to Fresno State? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

USC has played FSU exactly twice - in Anaheim and in LA.

That's frikken hilarious!
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Penn State is pretty sad as well.
It's downright embarrassing that we're playing Coastal Carolina. I'm sure many of us have driven right past their stadium on the way to Myrtle Beach...it's the kind of facility that WPIAL high schools look to upgrade.

There is ONE reason why we're playing them - we're throwing a bone to their AD, a former team captain under Paterno at PSU.

Personally, I am against all matchups with lower division teams...but if you have to do it, then schedule an in-state cupcake, so that the state itself benefits.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I wish Wisconsin would schedule a little tougher OOC. I’m thinking Barry Alvarez wanted to set Bielema up to not fail early on, but I think the economics will continue to dictate three teams that will come to Camp Randall with no return visits from Wisconsin, and one home-and-home opponent a year. That gives them 7 home games one year, 8 the next.

I can’t argue with the logic (and a pre-emptive go fuck yourself to Toejam). I believe Wisconsin currently has the only 100% self-sufficient athletic department in the country.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Goober McTuber wrote:I believe Wisconsin currently has the only 100% self-sufficient athletic department in Madison since Michigan's is also self-sufficient.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

M Club wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I believe Wisconsin currently has the only 100% self-sufficient athletic department in Madison since Michigan's is also self-sufficient.

Interesting. I heard this discussion on the radio a couple of weeks ago and they made that statement about Wisconsin. Does your 100% self-sufficiency include capital projects, like a stadium renovation or a new basketball venue?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

quite honestly, i don't know how capital is raised for those types of things. i knew that the athletic dept. funded itself, so i googled before posting that and found this. i can't imagine tickets and a few t-shirts funding the whole of michigan's current stadium expansion. i'll have to look into it, eh.

my best guess is that osu is also self-sufficient. i remember seeing something where their athletic department generates the most income nationally, followed by michigan.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i guess the luxury suites are expected to pay for the stadium expansion, which means the unversity's general fund is left alone.
Q: How confident are you that the financial model for the renovation project is sound?

Our financial planning has been very conservative. From our extensive market research and detailed financial analysis, we are confident that the demand for the suites and club seats will be strong and that the project will be able to pay for itself through the new revenues that are generated.

Out of the total project cost of $226 million, we plan to cover $36 million from Athletic Department reserves and issue debt for the remaining $190 million. Our annual debt service is estimated to be about $12.4 million, with annual incremental revenues conservatively estimated at $12.8 million. However, these figures do not factor in any fundraising. To the extent that we receive support from our donors, that will reduce the amount of debt and will further reduce any financial risk.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I believe that a number of major university athletic departments are self-sufficient in terms of expenses, but not including capital expenditures. Stadium overhauls and whatsuch generally include some state funding. Wisconsin built the Kohl Center and renovated Camp Randall with 100% private funding. We so totally rule.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

it's an interesting question. from the quote i posted it appears michigan does as well. i have a friend who used to make bill martin's coffee every day. [he's know an asst. athletic director at buffalo... ooh, name drop.] i just sent him an email to ask, so hopefully he has something better than my "uh, i think so?"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Goober McTuber wrote:I believe that a number of major university athletic departments are self-sufficient in terms of expenses, but not including capital expenditures. Stadium overhauls and whatsuch generally include some state funding. Wisconsin built the Kohl Center and renovated Camp Randall with 100% private funding. We so totally rule.
OU's alumni and donors funded all the latest expansions for the Athletic Department. Part of the "Great Expectations" campaign the AD had. OU's AD actually runs at a profit and helps fund the University Library system.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

SunCoastSooner wrote:the University Library system.
Right.

Glad to see you’re still with us, BTW.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

PSUFAN wrote:Personally, I am against all matchups with lower division teams...but if you have to do it, then schedule an in-state cupcake
Yep. Wisky playing Cal Poly makes about as much sense as Wisconsin playing Namibia Polytechnic.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Wisconsin playing Namibia Polytechnic.
Down, Stanley Q. Pikkle. DOWN!!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i once offered my 10th graders a bag of candy and a liter of coke to whomever could kick a 50-yard field goal. the first one cleared with about 10 yards to spare and the second with about five. i was scared i'd be out two weeks' pay, but then everyone else came up at least 10 yards short, petrus included.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Pac-10 toughest OOC schedule....as usual.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

As for AD's being self-sufficient, ND's is in that category as well. Being a private university, we receive no state funding whatsoever (sin, you know who). And a portion of the proceeds from the NBC deal funds a student scholarship program outside of the athletic department.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

got my response:
They are pretty much "self-sufficient". Only forms of University support they receive come from Crisler Arena (the U owns that facility and is responsible for some of the maintenance) and the AD uses the U's credit when they sell bonds or take out loans. All payments on said bonds and loans come strictly from the AD. They go through the U since their bond rating is through the roof.

No federal funding or direct U support.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The Seer wrote:Pac-10 toughest OOC schedule....as usual.
Arizonas schedule is an embarassment. All 3 of Zonas OOC games are among the 5 weakest OOC games being played by the conference. Those fucking pussies should be sent to the SEC if theyre going to make gutless schedules like the cowardly southern cunts in the SEC do. No room for cowardness in the Pac, thats a Southerners trait.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
Arizonas schedule is an embarassment. All 3 of Zonas OOC games are among the 5 weakest OOC games being played by the conference. Those fucking pussies should be sent to the SEC if theyre going to make gutless schedules like the cowardly southern cunts in the SEC do. No room for cowardness in the Pac, thats a Southerners trait.
No argument, but at least they are all Div I......
E UNUM PLURIBUS
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

M Club wrote:i once offered my 10th graders a bag of candy and a liter of coke to whomever could kick a 50-yard field goal. the first one cleared with about 10 yards to spare and the second with about five. i was scared i'd be out two weeks' pay, but then everyone else came up at least 10 yards short, petrus included.

ive done that before. Neighbor and I had a litte too much to drink and headed up to the local HS and tried to make it. I missed he made it.

good times
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

A team of Wiscy's significant stature playing a noncon without a single BCS-team is just sad. I'll give them some props for visiting Fresno, not many will, but that is about it. I like Wiscy, Alvarez, and Biliema. They run a sound program that pounds the rock. I hate to see them ppting for the Bill Snyder school of scheduling.

How the hell did Brewster have such a horrid record with noncon-sheduling like that? Way to stick to that low-road Minn, same goes for Indiana. Throw in a home-and-home with one team that could finish in the top half of the country.
SoCalTrjn wrote:
Mike Stoops has obviously been cribbing off of Ron Prince's essay on how to schedule in order to keep your ass on the hotseat and out of the fire. With those three gimmies he only has to beat Stanford, Wash, and WSU to be bowl-eligible. But I'd say he should have to at-least make it to 7-5 to keep his job, one winner in five years isn't much to ask for unless you are taking-over a team like Duke.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

michigan fans have been bitching about non-conference scheduling for years, but even bo went on record as saying, shit, what you expect: it's the bcs era, fools. pretty funny that ours is referenced as the second toughest in the conference.

part of the issue with scheduling aggressively for ooc is that you might lose one of your games while wisco breezes through the four high schools on their schedule. you end up 6-2 in conference and they finish 5-3. now you have identical w-l records and the bowls are justified taking wisco ahead of you.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Danimal wrote:How the hell did Brewster have such a horrid record with noncon-sheduling like that? Way to stick to that low-road Minn, same goes for Indiana. Throw in a home-and-home with one team that could finish in the top half of the country.
In fairness to Minnesota, they asked ND for a home-and-home last season, their home game to be the dedication game for their new stadium. ND turned them down.

Here's hoping the new AD at ND reverses course on that, not that I want to see Minnesota on the schedule every year.
SoCalTrjn wrote:No room for cowardness in the Pac, thats a Southerners trait.
Uh oh, now you've done it. :dins:
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

M Club wrote:part of the issue with scheduling aggressively for ooc is that you might lose one of your games while wisco breezes through the four high schools on their schedule. you end up 6-2 in conference and they finish 5-3. now you have identical w-l records and the bowls are justified taking wisco ahead of you.
I can’t defend the other three OOC opponents on the Badgers’ schedule, but which of your 4 non-conference opponents is tougher than Fresno State? Do you really expect to lose any of your non-conference games?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

No room for cowardness in the Pac
Plenty of room up in Fresno. Doesn't your AD know about the 5?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

eject schmick...

is it fair to assume that the board will be in OSU's corner come September 13th?

We will I am sure be subjected to posts about how the refs screwed USC though...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:I can’t defend the other three OOC opponents on the Badgers’ schedule, but which of your 4 non-conference opponents is tougher than Fresno State? Do you really expect to lose any of your non-conference games?
I doubt they expect to lose to Utah, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen. Utah returns a strong defensive and experienced team, and I think they could beat Fresno straight up. At the very least, they're on the same level as Fresno right now. ND could wind up being a stronger team than Fresno as well. We'll just have to wait and see. I think if you have a D1AA on your schedule, you really lose a lot of points for that. It's a huge blow. You need to try and save face by adding on a serious BCS contender. Fresno doesn't exactly cut it in that regard.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I can’t defend the other three OOC opponents on the Badgers’ schedule, but which of your 4 non-conference opponents is tougher than Fresno State? Do you really expect to lose any of your non-conference games?
I doubt they expect to lose to Utah, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen. Utah returns a strong defensive and experienced team, and I think they could beat Fresno straight up. At the very least, they're on the same level as Fresno right now. ND could wind up being a stronger team than Fresno as well. We'll just have to wait and see. I think if you have a D1AA on your schedule, you really lose a lot of points for that. It's a huge blow. You need to try and save face by adding on a serious BCS contender. Fresno doesn't exactly cut it in that regard.
I don’t care at all for Colin Cowturd, but I’d have to admit that he follows CFB pretty closely and he said last week that Fresno has a good shot at a BCS bowl this year. Of course, Michigan has Utah at home and Bucky’s traveling to Fresno. I’d say Wisconsin has the tougher game.

Notre Dame? At least on a par with Marshall.

And yes, if you have a D1AA on your schedule, you really lose a lot of points for that. More so when you lose to them, I hear.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I guess if you're attempting to justify your schedule by referencing Colin Cowherd's thoughts on Fresno, that says about enough for me. In any event, the strength of your OOC schedule in June isn't quite as telling as it is in December. We'll see.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I guess if you're attempting to justify your schedule by referencing Colin Cowherd's thoughts on Fresno, that says about enough for me. In any event, the strength of your OOC schedule in June isn't quite as telling as it is in December. We'll see.
All I'm saying is that I think Wisconsin is at greater risk of losing out of conference than Michigan is, and I think Wisconsin is the better team.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:All I'm saying is that I think Wisconsin is at greater risk of losing
Disagree, but only slightly.
I think Wisconsin is the better team.
Agree.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

wisco's ooc scheduling is traditionally a joke. that you're hanging your hat on the fresno game illustrates just that.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Mich is implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball, they also lost quite a few guys. Plus Mich is playing Utah opening-week. I'd say that Mich is riper for the picking even though the Wiscy has to play at Fresno.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

M Club wrote:wisco's ooc scheduling is traditionally a joke. that you're hanging your hat on the fresno game illustrates just that.
Thing is - OOC has changed. Schools used to avoid scheduling lower division teams. Now everyone is doing it...not that I personally like it any more. Wisconsin used to schedule pretty modestly, but now that 1-AA teams are getting boatloads of calls, scheduling Fresno State at their place seems pretty courageous to me.

There are very few OOC games with which revenue is not the primary consideration. This would be one.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Take nothing away from Fresno, but Wisky playing them makes no sense. That's a very loseable game for Wisky, and if they win they don't stand to gain a ton. They're better off playing a mid tier BCS school like a Clemson, Texas Tech, South Carolina, UCLA, etc., which might appear "sexier" to the voters. Of course that would require an overhaul in scheduling philosophy. I just think if you're going to schedule a "mid major" stick with the guaranteed cupcake W. Playing Fresno is like saying, "hey look, we've ALMOST got balls" yet when you lose, it's devastating.