Michigan S&C coach....

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Michigan S&C coach....

Post by WolverineSteve »

If you haven't seen or heard of the guy he's Mike Barwis. This is one intense dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Gj164mexU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes me want to hit the gym! The offseason workouts have left a couple players in their wake (s'up Boren) but the overall effect on the team should be noticeable. Without blowing leads in 4th quarters over the past several years there's no telling how much hardware would be in AA. RR's teams will be in prime condition, no chance at a sub-.500 season. The talent on campus alone gets UM to at least 7 wins.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Re: Michigan S&C coach....

Post by Danimal »

Neb added a new guy named Dobson in the offseason. Now we are focusing more on agility and lateral movement. We are also looking at a leaner team. BC wanted too many guys packing-on too many lb's, bigger = better. Should fit Bo's schemes better anyway, he loves lean, quicker, gang-tackling defenses that fly to the ball. Even our o-linemen are in noticeably better shape, not carrying bellies around.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

It seems like a lot of people here in AA are more excited about Barwis than DickRod himself. Sheesh, I'm sure he's great in the weight room but it's not like the OSU and USCs of the world are sitting on the couch pounding potato chips in the offseason.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:It seems like a lot of people here in AA are more excited about Barwis than DickRod himself. Sheesh, I'm sure he's great in the weight room but it's not like the OSU and USCs of the world are sitting on the couch pounding potato chips in the offseason.
This was my thought at first as well. What makes me happy is that our S&C program will now be on par with the best in the land. I don't think the guy's a savior, but it's nice to have an emphasis on S&C. Why that particular area got away from the previous regime is a head scratcher though.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

that's pretty much the story when Jerry Schmidt took over OU's S&C in 99 under Stoops.

most of the players were puking after the first warm-up.

way to go, Boo Blake. Playing vids with the kids. way out of shape, like Roy Williams. and RC Slocum wondered out loud why OU was as bad as they were--with decent talent. Fricking Boo you lost me when you made me love you for beating Baylor at home on a tipped pass/2 point conversion in the closing seconds. and then calling it "a great win".

i don't really hate Blake. i just don't like him in the same way that some crazy guy on the bus tells me to quit taking pictures of him for the CIA when i pull out a water bottle to have a little slurp of water. and then he tells me to "fuck off, you fucker fucker". i don't like that guy; but, don't hate that guy either. i'll just leave out the Blake recruiting for Callahan part....

if anyone of the Nebraska guys want to jump in on that one, say hey.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

WolverineSteve wrote:This was my thought at first as well. What makes me happy is that our S&C program will now be on par with the best in the land. I don't think the guy's a savior, but it's nice to have an emphasis on S&C. Why that particular area got away from the previous regime is a head scratcher though.
In addition to the S&C, if his players reflect that sort of intensity on the field, that'll be another nice dimension to the program. Michigan has always had the raw talent and finesse, but lacked that nastiness that teams fear, imo.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

King Crimson wrote:that's pretty much the story when Jerry Schmidt took over OU's S&C in 99 under Stoops.

way to go, Boo Blake. Playing vids with the kids. way out of shape, like Roy Williams. and RC Slocum wondered out loud why OU was as bad as they were--with decent talent. Fricking Boo you lost me when you made me love you for beating Baylor at home on a tipped pass/2 point conversion in the closing seconds. and then calling it "a great win".

i don't really hate Blake. i just don't like him in the same way that some crazy guy on the bus tells me to quit taking pictures of him for the CIA when i pull out a water bottle to have a little slurp of water. and then he tells me to "fuck off, you fucker fucker". i don't like that guy; but, don't hate that guy either. i'll just leave out the Blake recruiting for Callahan part....

I didn't have a problem with Blake, though I guess it was a bit of a diss that he didn't even get a promotion when he went to NC, still a position-coach. Maybe he just had more confidence in the coaching there, maybe he saw something coming and got out when the getting was good. We brought him in to be a recruiting-guru and he did solid work for us. But I think it says a lot that folks aren't even offering him DC-jobs.

I can see where OU-fan would have some hard feelings. Blake was a trainwreck at OU, it was glaringly obvious the team was underachieving in a big way.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

WolverineSteve wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:It seems like a lot of people here in AA are more excited about Barwis than DickRod himself. Sheesh, I'm sure he's great in the weight room but it's not like the OSU and USCs of the world are sitting on the couch pounding potato chips in the offseason.
This was my thought at first as well. What makes me happy is that our S&C program will now be on par with the best in the land. I don't think the guy's a savior, but it's nice to have an emphasis on S&C. Why that particular area got away from the previous regime is a head scratcher though.
The OSUs and USCs aren't pounding potato chips during the offseason, but apparently Michigan was. And the point isn't too lift weights until you're head and shoulders above those programs; it's to lift weights until your head and shoulders above the Minnesotas and Wisconsins that steal games from you that they shouldn't. There are reports about Gittelson [the previous S&C guy] where he had players gain weight by eating entire pizzas. Uh, that probably explains why half our defensive line comes out every down or two for an extended breather.

I think the excitement re: Barwis is that conditioning will become an advantage for Michigan. It's a lot more palatable to lose a game because of a coaching mistake or shit execution than it is because your players were too tired after the 3rd quarter.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Danimal wrote:
King Crimson wrote:that's pretty much the story when Jerry Schmidt took over OU's S&C in 99 under Stoops.

I didn't have a problem with Blake, though I guess it was a bit of a diss that he didn't even get a promotion when he went to NC, still a position-coach. Maybe he just had more confidence in the coaching there, maybe he saw something coming and got out when the getting was good. We brought him in to be a recruiting-guru and he did solid work for us. But I think it says a lot that folks aren't even offering him DC-jobs.

I can see where OU-fan would have some hard feelings. Blake was a trainwreck at OU, it was glaringly obvious the team was underachieving in a big way.

actually my point is/was this: Blake was a terrible HC. OU had not had 2 loaing seasons in a row since the 40's....and ol JB gave us 3 in a row. when he started recruiting for Callahan that was too rich. 1. Callahan was a joke and an asshole and 2. and Blake recruited for the guy on "tradition" which was the opposite of Billy's awesome tenure in Lincoln.

but now that Bo Pelini is leading the charge and Barney Cotton is back only 1995 style awesomeness awaits.

give me a minute here: wasn't it just a year ago that Bugeater fan was talking "breakout year" and Callahan finally having his personnel for the Billy C invented the forward pass WCO?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

In recent years, the PSU boards I frequent have had lively S&C debates. PSU fans have mostly excoriated the HIT program favored by long-time S&C coach John Thomas. There have been some defenders of the program, and usually they point out that it is the same program used by UM (I guess that is changing now, eh?)

A couple of players have weighed in on the boards, and they have generally not been favorable of PSU's official S&C methods. It's hard for the average fan (read: me) to get a grasp on what's really happening, and what, if anything, should change.

Have any of you guys gone through these debates, or the programs themselves? Personally, I just jog - I don't know anything about lifting.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

King Crimson wrote:
Danimal wrote:

actually my point is/was this: Blake was a terrible HC. OU had not had 2 loaing seasons in a row since the 40's....and ol JB gave us 3 in a row. when he started recruiting for Callahan that was too rich. 1. Callahan was a joke and an asshole and 2. and Blake recruited for the guy on "tradition" which was the opposite of Billy's awesome tenure in Lincoln.

but now that Bo Pelini is leading the charge and Barney Cotton is back only 1995 style awesomeness awaits.

give me a minute here: wasn't it just a year ago that Bugeater fan was talking "breakout year" and Callahan finally having his personnel for the Billy C invented the forward pass WCO?
Ya the BC-era basically shit on the tradition of husker-football. He was majorly out of touch, and the fact that our arrogant-as-fuck AD had husker-roots and was still lost certainly didn't help. Blake talking about tradition when Pedey and BC were killing it was quite hypocritical. Good point there.

Only time will tell if the Pelini-era works. But between him and Osborne tradition is definitely being re-embraced. Hardcore practices, rabid commitment to S&C, the walk-on program, physical football, and an open-door policy towards ex-huskers mean things that used to make Nebraska football work will be back.

As far as BC goes, I can honestly say I never truly drank the kool-aid. I was one of those people that thought the '03 staff deserved more time, and that the successor should be a proven college-coach. Pederson arrogantly gashed the husker-nation open. I felt somewhat detached from the program during that era, glad those feelings are gone. This is the most excited I've been about husker football in several seasons. I didn't really care for BC personally, he shared Pedey's arrogant know-it-all streak. I never liked the Cosgrove hire, his last few D's at Wiscy had done dick and folks there were glad to be rid of him. But I did think things would go better than they did. BC could definitely recruit and he had a hell of an offensive mind. Coz wasn't good anymore but he hadn't been just shitty either. Last year BC had HIS guys in, it was supposed to be the year we made some waves. Unfortunately it was the year we waved goodbye to credibility. It didn't take long for stories to surface and to find-out just how screwed-up the program was.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

PSUFAN wrote:In recent years, the PSU boards I frequent have had lively S&C debates. PSU fans have mostly excoriated the HIT program favored by long-time S&C coach John Thomas. There have been some defenders of the program, and usually they point out that it is the same program used by UM (I guess that is changing now, eh?)

A couple of players have weighed in on the boards, and they have generally not been favorable of PSU's official S&C methods. It's hard for the average fan (read: me) to get a grasp on what's really happening, and what, if anything, should change.

Have any of you guys gone through these debates, or the programs themselves? Personally, I just jog - I don't know anything about lifting.

I'm not expert but I've had some experience with HIT and had decent results with it. But I'm not a competitive athlete, I'm a guy that lifts to stay in-shape and doesn't like spending a ton of time in the gym anymore. When it comes to training for maximum performance and specifically training for the explosiveness football requires I don't know if HIT is the best system.