OT: great college town bands from your team

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

OT: great college town bands from your team

Post by King Crimson »

god, we need a new thread: bands you went to see and get sloppy in various ways....

Norman: defenestration, chainsaw kittens, flaming lips, love bomb, stiff richard,

Nashville (Vandy): lot of great stuff there: best band i saw was Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams (Slvia Plath ref). or a band from North Carolina called Other Bright Colors. those guys were amazing.

Boulder: two best were Bunny Genghis or Baldo Rex...both were great. Bunny self destructed by playing a show in raw deer meat, put out an EP based on pedophilia, and heroin. they were fucking great, for about 6 months. Foreskin 500 was a Bunny G spinoff band. if you've never seen a band play in raw deer meat bikinis, i'm not sure you've ever lived.

Baldo was heavily minutemen influenced and were way ahead of the KISS kitsch curve. they are worth your respect for one song called "....smells like we are together again".

AngryMike might different have versions of Boulder....it's not always jam bands. at least for a while.

what's the name of the legendary nonsense and sounds of good times from your college town?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
M Club
el capitán

Re: OT: great college town bands from your team

Post by M Club »

anne arbour = bob seger. that's why i moved. iggy pop sucks, too.

i always enjoyed seeing cloud nine music while i was in school. taproot is from aa, but i've never listened to them.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Pennywise, Metalica, Megadeath, TSOL, Fear, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Doors, Beach Boys, System of a Down, Germs, Agent Orange, The Adolescents, Black Flag, Drama Rama, Fishbone, the Go Gos, Janes Addiction, Guns N Roses, Incubus, NOFX, Motley Crue, No Doubt, Voo Doo Glow Skulls, Alient Ant Farm, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, Sublime, Skeletones, Rage Against the Machine, Slayer, Static-X, Sugar Ray, Van Halen, Vandals, Tool, Wasted Youth, Weezer and quite a few more
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

wow cali is the reason alternative has slipped. ill take the wankers from the U/L

rage is the biggest piece of shit band ever! im sure hippys like mclub sockle off their nads, but its fuckin horrible music.

you want to be political, give me hendrix and hey joe!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I liked Rage when they released their first self-titled album. I thought they had a great sound. Yeah, the politics became a little overbearing, but man, they kicked out some sweet riffs.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I liked Rage when they released their first self-titled album. I thought they had a great sound. Yeah, the politics became a little overbearing, but man, they kicked out some sweet riffs.
you know i saw Rage before they were anything with a buddy. they only played for like 40 minutes and it was pretty incredible. it was a spring day like today and he says: let's go see this band tonight. i personally didn't want to.....but he persuaded me with drugs. it was pretty kick ass in a semi empty club in Boulder.

my buddy says afterwards: "these guys are gonna be huge".
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

hippies like mclub at least understand basic grammatical rules about plural morphemes. i don't like rage.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i dont' give shit about gramma. but i do care about grammaw.

too bad the sound was so easily copied by asshats MTV and Fred Dutrz....
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Pennywise, Metalica, Megadeath, TSOL, Fear, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Doors, Beach Boys, System of a Down, Germs, Agent Orange, The Adolescents, Black Flag, Drama Rama, Fishbone, the Go Gos, Janes Addiction, Guns N Roses, Incubus, NOFX, Motley Crue, No Doubt, Voo Doo Glow Skulls, Alient Ant Farm, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, Sublime, Skeletones, Rage Against the Machine, Slayer, Static-X, Sugar Ray, Van Halen, Vandals, Tool, Wasted Youth, Weezer and quite a few more
i give you some respeck for some of these bands, but i don't see the minutemen...or X.

my point is bands that played at your college, or that were college bands that played not the town of LA.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

and even beyond that, more interested in local bands in a college town....not LA GUNS, GNR, or the Doors or whatever.

and No Doubt sucks and what's her name has no boobs no matter how they try and frame them. and way too much makeup. sorry, cake makeup Gwen. you epitomize Orange Country "skater punk", most of which is crap.

give me Agent Orange. word.
Last edited by King Crimson on Sun May 18, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the problem with RATM is they only wrote one song, and turned it into a few albums. and it was so easily copied by the Link Biscuits of the world.

i tell you though, that was some great shit back inna day in small club.
"
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

King Crimson wrote:the problem with RATM is they only wrote one song, and turned it into a few albums.
BWA!~

im a rage fan but thats funny!
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I hate to admit it, but I was never really into any local music scenes until I actually became part of one here in the Valley. That said, here are a few faves and recommendations...

NE
I was at a party at a farm one time and this band Mousetrap was playing in the barn (farm parties were the shit, as the nearest neighbor was usually 2-3 miles away). They were from Omaha and they were fucking badass. They played a cover of "Beast of Burden" that night and from that day forward, that has been my favorite Stones song. They put out a couple albums, moved to Chicago and broke up. I guess a lot of Bugaha Saddle Creek-ish bands cite them as an influence these days. Good luck finding their albums anywhere, but you can hear a few songs here...
http://www.myspace.com/hellofootpad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CO
I can't really say that any local bands really stood out during my time in Colorado. However, I did see one pretty decent band from Denver play out here in PHX a couple years ago at SHoD VII. They're called Turambar.
http://www.myspace.com/turambardoom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AZ
I've seen lots of great local bands here in the PHX area. Here are a few of my favorites...

Emperors of Japan - You can download both of their albums for free on their website (http://www.emperorsofjapan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and if you're a fan of the Pixies, DFA 1979 and/or QOTSA, I highly recommend you do so.

Greenhaven - Maybe a little derivative of Clutch, but I could think of a lot worse things to say about a band. http://www.myspace.com/greenhaven" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Via Vengeance - Quite possibly the greatest one-man band on the planet. Even if you're not into metal, you have to admit this shit is impressive.
Video evidence: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SjTOtUeZsBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Requisite MySpace URL: http://www.myspace.com/shadesofbloood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Earps - Awesome cowpunk butt-rockabilly. Traditional country crossed with 80s hair metal (what up, battery chucka?). Played with these guys a bunch in my old band. Really cool guys and a fun band to see live. http://www.myspace.com/theearpsaz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Keys, woman!"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Meh. I think the White Rabits met at Mizzou. I know the Revelators on Crypt Records were a couple of Ag majors and a English grad.

Champaign hadthe Postr Children anf Hum.
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
King Crimson wrote:god, we need a new thread: bands you went to see and get sloppy in various ways....

Norman: defenestration, chainsaw kittens, flaming lips, love bomb, stiff richard,

Nashville (Vandy): lot of great stuff there: best band i saw was Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams (Slvia Plath ref). or a band from North Carolina called Other Bright Colors. those guys were amazing.

Boulder: two best were Bunny Genghis or Baldo Rex...both were great. Bunny self destructed by playing a show in raw deer meat, put out an EP based on pedophilia, and heroin. they were fucking great, for about 6 months. Foreskin 500 was a Bunny G spinoff band. if you've never seen a band play in raw deer meat bikinis, i'm not sure you've ever lived.

Baldo was heavily minutemen influenced and were way ahead of the KISS kitsch curve. they are worth your respect for one song called "....smells like we are together again".

AngryMike might different have versions of Boulder....it's not always jam bands. at least for a while.

what's the name of the legendary nonsense and sounds of good times from your college town?
Dude, how in the hell did you leave off the Flaming Lips?
i didn't. they were better when they were a sloppy guitar band and played 30 minute covers of Interstellar Overdrive than the Wayne crooning stuff. but, hey, i'm happy for them.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Another Nebraska band from my college days that's worthy of mention is Shithook. They used to do live karaoke every Thursday night at Duffy's Tavern in Lincoln. You put your name on a list and they'd let you get up and be their lead singer for a song (or two, if you were particularly well received). They had lyrics for a bunch of popular songs (mostly classic rock and some modern stuff), but they knew literally hundreds of songs if you knew the lyrics.

Apparently this is becoming more common, as there are a few bands I know of doing the same thing out here, and a Google search for "live karaoke band" turns up about 3,000 results, but keep in mind this was Lincoln, Nebraska in the mid-1990s. It seemed like a unique, innovative and all-around really fuckin' cool idea at the time.

One week, my friend and I did "Gangster of Love" by the Geto Boys while Shithook just played that "Sweet Home Alabama" riff over and over. I guess it was pretty memorable, because for months afterward, whenever I went o Duffy's on a Shithook night, complete strangers would come up to me and ask if I was going to do some Geto Boys.

Not sure if Shithook is still around or not. They were really cool dudes and talented as hell.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Can't ever remember a band playing AT RICE. Plenty of bands played around RICE and in the Metro Houston area. Honestly most of us on the football team weren't that into music then. We were more concerned about drinking, football, and chasing girls. Most of the time we hit the bars around campus that didn't have live music so as to make it easier to hit on girls without having to yell.

To this day I am still not a big concert guy as the sound most often sucks. There just isn't a way to make a person or group sound good in a football, basketball, or other type of arena. Having said that I will go listen to Texas artists in Austin, but there you are looking at 250 people and they don't have to overmodulate everything for people 100 yards away to hear it.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I wish I had more to contribute to this thread. State College had a pretty good local music scene when I was 14-18, but I don't think too many of the folks involved moved on to anything larger. I was in a funky metal band that left town and moved to San Francisco. They are still in existence, and they have been semi-successful in Greece, England, and Scandinavia...but nothing doing here.

One of my good friends from HS (Nathan Calhoun) has been the bassist of the Butthole Surfers since 2000. I haven't seen or talked to the guy since about 1993. Someone I knew saw him and said he has a big meth problem these days.

Some other State College buddies have been involved with Don Caballero over the years.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.