Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Tom In VA wrote:The URL itself lend itself to providing context, "Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda,Richard-Dawkins"

http://richarddawkins.net/article,2488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda,Richard-Dawkins
Actually, all I see is: "http://richarddawkins.net/article,2488, ... rd-Dawkins"

The whole URL got truncated and the "Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda" bit got replaced by ellipsis.

Having nothing but three dots between "article,2488" and "rd-Dawkins" doesn't give me -or anyone else- much to consider in scrolling downward and bothering to click it.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:The URL itself lend itself to providing context, "Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda,Richard-Dawkins"

http://richarddawkins.net/article,2488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda,Richard-Dawkins
Actually, all I see is: "http://richarddawkins.net/article,2488, ... rd-Dawkins"

The whole URL got truncated and the "Open-Letter-to-a-victim-of-Ben-Steins-lying-propaganda" bit got replaced by ellipsis.

Having nothing but three dots between "article,2488" and "rd-Dawkins" doesn't give me -or anyone else- much to consider in scrolling downward and bothering to click it.
True. I am in the habit of checking the status bar below whenever I hover above hyperlink in order to see where it is I am to go or not go. Not everyone does that.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

battery chucka' one wrote:To be honest, I don't think Stein was trying to change any minds. Rather, I think it was more to point out that professors and the like aren't allowed to even question evolution or mention ID as a possible alternative.
Hey, bcb, here's an example of how Ben Stein's lack of honesty (and credibility):

(btw, the bolding in the article is my own doing...)

Ben Stein Lies About Sternberg

by Ed Brayton
Ed Brayton wrote:
In an interview with Newsweek:
Ben Stein wrote:There are a number of scientists and academics who've been fired, denied tenure, lost tenure or lost grants because they even suggested the possibility of intelligent design. The most egregious is Richard Sternberg at the Smithsonian, the editor of a magazine that published a peer-reviewed paper about ID. He lost his job.
Except that Sternberg did not lose his job. He didn't even lose his unpaid courtesy position at the Smithsonian. In fact, even after everything that happened, the Smithsonian still extended an invitation after his Research Associate position had expired to remain as a Research Collaborator.

The Smithsonian responded in a letter to Newsweek:
Newsweek wrote:Sternberg has never been employed by the Smithsonian Institution. Since January 2004, he has been an unpaid research associate in the departments of invertebrate and vertebrate zoology at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History. Dr. Sternberg continues to enjoy full access to research facilities at the museum. Moreover, Stein's assertion that Sternberg was removed from a Smithsonian publication is not true. The Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington is an independent journal and is not affiliated with the Smithsonian.
He should also have noted that Sternberg had resigned as editor of PBSW 6 months before the controversial Meyer article was published. His leaving as editor had nothing to do with the article. It's rather telling that their "most egregious" example of persecution requires flat out lying, don't you think?
Ben Stein's tactics are typical of the whole ID movement.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

Mike, as a scientist, when you heard about Sternberg, did you investigate this yourself? I thought you didn't watch the movie. If you don't watch the movie, scientifically, how can you comment on it? I mean, isn't most of science about observation? Isn't this what you would call 'bad science'?

Also, why should you accept the word of the Smithsonian over Sternberg? He said, she said. Are you really going to accept the sound of one hand clapping so quickly, and with glee?

I won't even get into the decay of the earth's magnetic field and the fact that, following all your lines of reasoning, this planet would have to have been a white star several billion years ago. Peace.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Here's an interesting video for ya' that's NOT from the movie. It's Dr. David Berlinski. He's applying mathematics to Darwinism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UCo7JQm-A

I have heard of the mathematical possibility of the 250 necessary proteins getting together in one spot at one time for the lightning to strike and such. Yes, that's going further back than Darwinism wants to go. The numbers are astronomical. My wife and I discussed them. She agrees about the staggering nature of the odds. I think, as I gaze at her Doctorate of Mathematics on the wall of our office, that she can speak on the subject of math.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:Here's an interesting video for ya' that's NOT from the movie. It's Dr. David Berlinski. He's applying mathematics to Darwinism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UCo7JQm-A

I have heard of the mathematical possibility of the 250 necessary proteins getting together in one spot at one time for the lightning to strike and such. Yes, that's going further back than Darwinism wants to go. The numbers are astronomical. My wife and I discussed them. She agrees about the staggering nature of the odds. I think, as I gaze at her Doctorate of Mathematics on the wall of our office, that she can speak on the subject of math.
Too bad for you that the "cows to whales" argument is riddled with more holes than Bonnie and Clyde. Whales are descended from even-toed ungulates, not cloven hoved bovine. The hippo, an animal known to the ancients as the "water horse" is a far closer genetic link to the whale than any Holstein on earth.

http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2007/08/co ... hales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Berlinski is a fucking quack.
Last edited by BSmack on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote: While abiogenesis might be an astronomically unlikely event, ID is quite simply impossible when considered under its own hypothetical framework. It is self-negating.

If life is too complicated to have spontaneously arisen without the agency of an "intelligent designer", then that rules out any possibility of a designer.

Hopefully, his head :python:s, and that's the end of it.

But I doubt it -- this one bring the stupid like no other.

But...

Exactly. If it's too complicated that an astronomical series of events can't explain it, some divine biological engineer can?

People actually believe that shit? In light of that, I guess it makes it easier to understand how someone could hack off their whatsits and try and hitchhike on a comet.

But let's just hypothetically roll with the designer concept...

Have the ID folks tried tocome up with an explaination of where the designer came from, which logic dictates would be infinitely more complex to design than the life designed here on earth.

Or does this portion of the "science" require yet more "faith" and a complete suspension of disbelief?

Seems like it's only "science" up until the point it proves what the thumpers want it to, then all "science" comes to an immediate halt once that end is achieved.

As mvscal points out, if "complexity" rules out evolution, it rules out a "designer" even more strongly... but only if you believe in the "science" and "math" of ID.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hopefully, his head :python:s, and that's the end of it.
Not bloody likely. We're looking at days of ID related links.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Another very fascinating debate from Seton Hall (1997).

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 3E866F4E4E

Please ignore the title of the poster of these videos. It features Berlinski and William Buckley on one side, along with several others who question Darwinism and a matching number of leading Darwinists on the other side. Interesting stuff for people on both sides, if you have the time to watch.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:Another very fascinating debate from Seton Hall (1997).

Please ignore the title of the poster of these videos. It features Berlinski and William Buckley on one side, along with several others who question Darwinism and a matching number of leading Darwinists on the other side. Interesting stuff for people on both sides, if you have the time to watch.
You haven't even refuted the rebuttals to your previous tripe and you want people to watch MORE?

Go fuck yourself.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
battery chucka' one
Elwood

BSmack wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Another very fascinating debate from Seton Hall (1997).

You haven't even refuted the rebuttals to your previous tripe and you want people to watch MORE?

Go fuck yourself.
Once I see one that is worthy of my response, I shall do so. However, Din's last diatribe wasn't owed more than the two minutes spent reading it that I shall never have back. Maybe you could attempt to offer a rebuttal of your own. Or shall you continue on your normal path of clinging to Din's tattered coat-tails with one hand while waving a pompom for him with the other?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:
BSmack wrote:You haven't even refuted the rebuttals to your previous tripe and you want people to watch MORE?

Go fuck yourself.
Once I see one that is worthy of my response, I shall do so. However, Din's last diatribe wasn't worthy of more than the two minutes spent reading it that I shall never have back. Are you going to please attempt to offer a rebuttal or shall you follow the path you usually do by merely riding Din's tattered coat-tails with one hand while waving a pompom for him in the other?
Dins and mvscal are arguing a completely different (yet equally valid) point than I. Simply put, all I am saying is that your hero doesn't know the difference between a cow, a hippo and a whale. Show me otherwise.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

battery chucka' one wrote:Mike, as a scientist, when you heard about Sternberg, did you investigate this yourself?
Actually, yes I did, when the story first came out. Sternberg was NOT "fired" by the Smithsonian because he was never an employee. That was (and is) verifiable.

battery chucka' one wrote:I thought you didn't watch the movie. If you don't watch the movie, scientifically, how can you comment on it? I mean, isn't most of science about observation? Isn't this what you would call 'bad science'?
Are you TRULY this stupid?

Look at my post, dipshit - it references AN INTERVIEW THAT STEIN GAVE TO NEWSWEEK.

Don't you think that it's incredibly...moronic of you to even TRY to fence with me on the subject and attempt to call me out when you're not even bright enough to know that I was referring directly to the criticism of his Newsweek interview and not a scene from his flick?
battery chucka' one wrote:Also, why should you accept the word of the Smithsonian over Sternberg?
Let me see...the former is an internationally recognized scientific institution whose claims can easily be verified and who -knowing that anyone could check them on their claims - decided to address the issue in a well-known, international publication.
battery chucka' one wrote:He said, she said. Are you really going to accept the sound of one hand clapping so quickly, and with glee?
You're kidding right?

You are the one who is so willing to believe Mr. Visine Spokesman, who has NO scientific background or credibility, who is backed by a movement that has been shown time and again -and most recently, in federal court, to be willing to quote mine and outright lie.

If you don't believe that last bit of my statement, just do a google search for Judge Jones's judgement in the Kitzmiller v. Dover court case. read the original judgement, free of any pro- or anti-Darwin group's interpretations. The levels to which the ID folks will stoop was just astounding. BTW, Judge Jones is a conservative Christian, so any possible claims of "liberal bias" are horseshit.
battery chucka' one wrote:I won't even get into the decay of the earth's magnetic field and the fact that, following all your lines of reasoning, this planet would have to have been a white star several billion years ago. Peace.
"My line of reasoning?"

Look, numbnut, you're now into physics, which is outside my area of expertise (and I'm guessing, WAAAAAAAAY the hell outside yours). Physicists have no reason to back (or attack) Darwin, since he's a biologist. To expand Stein and the ID's paranoia to include ALL scientists in every field as being "in" on the "conspiracy" just confirms your need to be fitted with a tinfoil hat ASAP.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

battery chucka' one wrote:Or shall you continue on your normal path of clinging to Din's tattered coat-tails with one hand while waving a pompom for him with the other?

Uhm, yea. That's BSmack's MO, alright. He as a long history of it... right B?

About as accurate as anything else you ever come up with around here, I suppose.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sorry I'm late. Schism cramp.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

John Derbyshire at National Review Online has a pretty good article on Ben Stein's idocy as well as some background on the history of outright dishonesty by the ID crowd:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZG ... jk=&w=MA==" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:John Derbyshire at National Review Online has a pretty good article on Ben Stein's idocy as well as some background on the history of outright dishonesty by the ID crowd:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZG ... jk=&w=MA==" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Not meaning to split hairs, but the word is 'idiocy'.

2. I read your article. It's not about Ben Stein in the slightest. It rather tethers him to the ID crowd and then proceeds to tear the crowd apart. I was somewhat put off when he says 'No, I haven’t seen the dang thing.' I don't think you can make an observation about this movie and question its veracity unless you actually see it. Further, he brings up two links to articles supporting the movie but nary a link for a contrary opinion. I find that somewhat questionable.

I don't have faith in the Discovery Institute any more than I view science as any more than a tool created by and intended for the Glory of God.

I don't want to do away with science. I think it's nice. It makes some people feel comfortable. And that's a good thing. It's like knitting. Believers in God don't want to take their knitting needles away. We just think that, like knitting, there's a proper place for science. It's just a thing, not the thing.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

btw, Mike, do you concur that Dr. David Berlinski is a 'quack', as was previously stated in this thread?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Kinda scary, isn't it?

But I understand... as soon as they figured out the earth wasn't a flat square, that whole "science" thing went out the window for thumpers. And Conservation of Mass and Conservation of Energy were blasphemy of the highest order.

Unreal.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:Kinda scary, isn't it?

But I understand... as soon as they figured out the earth wasn't a flat square, that whole "science" thing went out the window for thumpers. And Conservation of Mass and Conservation of Energy were blasphemy of the highest order.

Unreal.
Where in the Bible, again, does it say that the earth was, as you say, a 'flat square'? Would you please point that verse out to me? As a 'thumper', I don't recall ever reading it. Thank you in advance.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

battery chucka' one wrote:Where in the Bible, again, does it say that the earth was, as you say, a 'flat square'?

I thought you'd read it?

There's probably ten references to the flat earth... look them up yourself if you're a thumper. Not my fault you can't understand what you read...

son.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Where in the Bible, again, does it say that the earth was, as you say, a 'flat square'?

I thought you'd read it?

There's probably ten references to the flat earth... look them up yourself if you're a thumper. Not my fault you can't understand what you read...

son.
Son, this is why we don't let you talk with the adults. It's because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

My question to you was rhetorical. There are no references to the flat earth in the Bible. Not a one. Therefore, you have been shown as a liar. You claim 'at least ten'. There is not a single one.

Did you get that, son? You are a LIAR.

It's not your fault. Small children as yourself are prone to lying. Now, do us adults a favor and hold your tongue until we're done talking. Seen and not heard is the name of the game here. Even better, why don't you go ahead and do away with that whole 'seen' thing.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:My question to you was rhetorical. There are no references to the flat earth in the Bible. Not a one. Therefore, you have been shown as a liar. You claim 'at least ten'. There is not a single one.

It's not your fault. Small children as yourself are prone to lying. Now, do us adults a favor and hold your tongue until we're done talking. Seen and not heard is the name of the game here. Even better, why don't you go ahead and do away with that whole 'seen' thing.
You had better hope that Dinsdale is incapable of typing 'Bible flat earth' into Google.

At the VERY best you can say that Biblical writers were totally ignorant of the cosmology surrounding them and therefore employed copious amounts of poetic license to describe things like the earth, sun, moon and stars.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
battery chucka' one
Elwood

BSmack wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:My question to you was rhetorical. There are no references to the flat earth in the Bible. Not a one. Therefore, you have been shown as a liar. You claim 'at least ten'. There is not a single one.

You had better hope that Dinsdale is incapable of typing 'Bible flat earth' into Google.

At the VERY best you can say that Biblical writers were totally ignorant of the cosmology surrounding them and therefore employed copious amounts of poetic license to describe things like the earth, sun, moon and stars.
No, that's not the best I can say. Here, I'll do it for him.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bible+flat+earth

Now please, find me the verse in the Bible that says 'the earth is flat'. I don't want implied message, I want the explicit words that 'the earth is flat'.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Apparently, Ben Stein's fellow Jews take exception to his casual association of Darwin and the Nazis:
The Anti-Defamation league wrote:
The film Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed misappropriates the Holocaust and its imagery as a part of its political effort to discredit the scientific community which rejects so-called intelligent design theory.

Hitler did not need Darwin to devise his heinous plan to exterminate the Jewish people and Darwin and evolutionary theory cannot explain Hitler’s genocidal madness.

Using the Holocaust in order to tarnish those who promote the theory of evolution is outrageous and trivializes the complex factors that led to the mass extermination of European Jewry.
Link = http://adl.org/PresRele/HolNa_52/5277_52.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other Ben Stein idiocy,
John Derbyshire, in NRO wrote:
In an interview with the Trinity Broadcasting Network, Ben Stein said the following amazing thing in an interview with Paul Crouch, Jr.

Stein: When we just saw that man, I think it was Mr. Myers [i.e. biologist P.Z. Myers], talking about how great scientists were, I was thinking to myself the last time any of my relatives saw scientists telling them what to do they were telling them to go to the showers to get gassed … that was horrifying beyond words, and that’s where science — in my opinion, this is just an opinion — that’s where science leads you.

Crouch: That’s right.

Stein: …Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

Crouch: Good word, good word.

You can see the whole shameful thing here. It's a pity Crouch didn't invite the Rev. Jeremiah Wright into the studio for a three-way conversation. It would have elevated the tone.

What it brought to my mind, when I had calmed down a bit, was Voltaire's letter to Rousseau, after the latter had sent the former a copy of The Social Contract in which Rousseau argues, to put it in the smallest possible nutshell, that civilization is a crock.
Voltaire wrote:
I have received your new book against the human race, and thank you for it. Never was such a cleverness used in the design of making us all stupid. One longs, in reading your book, to walk on all fours. But as I have lost that habit for more than sixty years, I feel unhappily the impossibility of resuming it. Nor can I embark in search of the savages of Canada, because the maladies to which I am condemned render a European surgeon necessary to me; because war is going on in those regions; and because the example of our actions has made the savages nearly as bad as ourselves.
Meanwhile, the Blood Libel character of what Stein is saying is beginning to dawn on thoughtful Jews. The Anti-Defamation League has issued a statement deploring Stein's Darwin-inspired-the Holocaust thesis.

And there are NRO readers who are on board with this dreck? I need a drink.
Good God, but Ben Stein is a frigging moron. Anyone who believes what Stein is selling is also a brain-dead moron.

As for this tripe:
bco wrote:I don't want to do away with science. I think it's nice. It makes some people feel comfortable.
Yeah, antibiotics, vaccines, beneficial medications, surgery...that tends to make people "comfortable." And helps them live longer, better lives.

Prayer, on the other hand, is frigging useless in stopping the spread of disease, healing injury, etc. Hell, it was thumpers and their ilk that stood in the way of many of the aforementioned bits of proven scientific and medical progress. They were happy to blame disease on sinfulness and argue that prayer was all that was needed to fix it. If their prayers didn't work, well, then, by golly, we'll just chalk up the progression of disease and death to "God's will."

Tell ya what, bco, if you want to put your money where your mouth is, go without the "comforts" of the oh-so-evil sciences: over-the-counter analgesics, antibiotics, vaccines, surgery...

mvscal was right (again) - science, unlike religion, never claimed to hold all the answers to all questions. Religion has its place. And it sure as hell is not in the science classroom.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

I always question how many of the most outspoken critics of Expelled have even seen it. The more I hear them say, 'this is a horrible movie, and i haven't seen it yet', the more I have to think that it's not many.

As I said, Mike, I don't think that science is evil. On the contrary, it's like knitting. People like knitting. It gives people like you purpose (and some, such as physics, are actually grounded in evidence backed truth). We don't want to take away your knitting needles. We just don't want you to hurt yourself and others with them.

Heck, as was stated in a relatively recent South Park episode, PRAISE AND THANKS TO SCIENCE!!!! hehe That was a funny one.

Now, are you going to answer my query about Dr. David Berlinski and his words or not?
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

battery chucka' one wrote: I don't think that science is evil. On the contrary, it's like knitting. People like knitting. It gives people like you purpose (and some, such as physics, are actually grounded in evidence backed truth).
I applaud your efforts BCO, and I'm comforted in knowing that more and more American folks are embracing this thinking every day.

Bravo. Don't change a thing.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

battery chucka' one wrote:Now, are you going to answer my query about Dr. David Berlinski and his words or not?
I watched the video. All of it.

Berlinksi is an idiot. A pompous idiot.

The evolutionary progression from the whale's land-dwelling ancestors to its current form are , and have been, well-documented.

Berlinksi's entire argument - assigning (conveniently unspecified in the video) numerical odds to each biological "required" next step and then arguing that the convergence of all of these seemingly insurmountable list of requirements makes them mathematically impossible - is utter horseshit.

First off, he has no basis from which to derive the "odds" of each "required" step, despite his claims. None.

Secondly, he seems to be making the same kind of argument as Michael Behe's laughable "irreducible complexity" idiocy - that components had to be developed in a unit WE consider/recognize as functional to that purpose all at once (the "what use is half a wing" fallacious argument).

Berlinski and Behe both conveniently ignore the fact that evolution progresses through the accumulation of beneficial mutations.

Here's an example I use in class to teach the concept.

I give you and mvscal each 13 cards, Ace through King and tell you that the normal sequence of cards Ace to King will be defined as our finished critter. You each shuffle your cards well.

You can have the "evolution takes too long or is mathematically impossible" side. What you will do is flip over your cards one at a time and see if the cards come out Ace through King. If they don't, you put all the cards back together, shuffle them again, and retry. Tally each time you do this.

Mvscal will have the "evolution DOES occur and this is how it works" side. What he will do is flip over his cards one at a time, looking for that Ace (same as you). If he doesn't get it, he'll reshuffle and look for the Ace again.

Now, here's where mvscal's side differs: as soon as he gets his Ace, he lays it on the table. He then checks out the next card. If it's a "2," he lays that on top of the Ace. If not, he leaves the Ace on the table and shuffles the other twelve cards, looking for the "2." He'll do that until he gets the "2," and when he does, he lays that on the Ace and checks to see if the next card is a "3." You get the idea.

With your pile, the odds of flipping over Ace through King in sequence at once ARE very poor. It sure would seem that the only way to get a functional organism would be to have an "intelligent designer" place the cards in order...

BUT

Mvscal may take a while to get that Ace, but then getting that "2" got a little more likely. And once he got Ace and 2, getting that 3 got easier. And so on. By the time he gets to 9, 10, or Jack, he's having an easier time getting to the next level. THAT is how evolution works - already-existing beneficial mutations make the likelihood of the next step that much more likely.

Dimwits argues that the human eye was to "perfect" to have evolved, but scientists predicted the sequence of structural adaptations to get from simple light-sensing pigments to our eye, and by golly, we've found them in nature. Same goes for blood clotting and bacterial flagellar rotors, which Behe falsely claimed were "irreducibly complex."

Berlinski, like Behe, impresses people with his seeming mastery of the concepts (i.e., he talks fancy and claims some authority on the subject), but the fact remains that he doesn't have the foggiest clue about what he is discussing and is misapplying mathematics to the situation. Berlinski, like Behe, is a twit.

BTW, you do realize that whales have digits hidden in those flippers (if you peel back the skin and musculature, you see FINGERS and TOES) and have HIPS like land-dwelling mammals. Oh, and they swim with an up-and-down motion, like otters, not a side-to-side motion, like a fish. But, Berlinski conveniently ignores those facts, along with all those pesky transitional fossils...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

battery chucka' one wrote:No, that's not the best I can say. Here, I'll do it for him.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bible+flat+earth

Now please, find me the verse in the Bible that says 'the earth is flat'. I don't want implied message, I want the explicit words that 'the earth is flat'.
To be perfectly fair, the Bible is a bit scatterbrained (shocking coming from nomadic goat hearders) when it comes to the expressing a view of the place of earth within the Universe. But suffice it to say that the concepts of geocentric and flat earth cosmology are so embedded in Biblical cosmology that they don't need to be explicitly stated in terms like "the earth is flat" the way you insist.

Let look at Ecclesiastes 1:5, "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises".

You cannot have the Sun racing backwards without first presupposing a flat Earth. Even a geocentric view that supposed a spherical earth would allow for the orbit of earth by the sun. Only in the flat earth world view does one need to suppose the Sun "hurries back to where it rises".

Here's another verse, from the NT that is just as flat earth biased.

"Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;" (Matthew 4:8)

You can't possibly see all the kingdoms of the world from an one vantage point on Earth unless you presuppose the world is flat.

And let us examine this bit of insanity.

"And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." (Joshua 10:13)

The only way in a heliocentric world view for the Sun to "stop" in the sky would be for the Earth to stop rotating on its axis. Period. Considering the speed of the Earth's rotation is over 1000 MPH, the rather sudden stop would have caused the destruction of all life on Earth. The only way to have the Sun "stop" in the sky and not cause damage to life on Earth is to embrace a geocentric cosmology wherein the Earth's position is fixed and the Sun moves relative to the Earth. Though this does not necessarily presuppose a flat Earth, it demands a stationary Earth fixed to the center of the Universe. Which we all know is absolutely and totally not the case.

Those are just a few examples of where the Bible stands apart from scientific fact. I could dissect a thousand more, but I have a life.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OK, so see if I have this right...

If it shows the Bible as fictional tripe, it doesn't count unless the Bible explicitly states a "fact" down to the last detail.

But if this "fact" supports what the thumpers are selling, then the vaguest of vague suggestions cut the mustard in supporting your ill-concieved beliefs?

Yeah, I can see how you view science as your enemy, along with all other forms of rational thought.

Excellent logic and mental process you have going for you, son. Maybe you should let the adults discuss this science-stuff that you have no ability to grasp.

Furthermore, I'll continue to adress you as "son," and with various other condescending tones, since as a christian, it's obviously how you would like to be adressed yourself.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Now, are you going to answer my query about Dr. David Berlinski and his words or not?
Berlinski and Behe both conveniently ignore the fact that evolution progresses through the accumulation of beneficial mutations.

Here's an example I use in class to teach the concept.

I give you and mvscal each 13 cards, Ace through King and tell you that the normal sequence of cards Ace to King will be defined as our finished critter. You each shuffle your cards well.

You can have the "evolution takes too long or is mathematically impossible" side. What you will do is flip over your cards one at a time and see if the cards come out Ace through King. If they don't, you put all the cards back together, shuffle them again, and retry. Tally each time you do this.

Mvscal will have the "evolution DOES occur and this is how it works" side. What he will do is flip over his cards one at a time, looking for that Ace (same as you). If he doesn't get it, he'll reshuffle and look for the Ace again.

Now, here's where mvscal's side differs: as soon as he gets his Ace, he lays it on the table. He then checks out the next card. If it's a "2," he lays that on top of the Ace. If not, he leaves the Ace on the table and shuffles the other twelve cards, looking for the "2." He'll do that until he gets the "2," and when he does, he lays that on the Ace and checks to see if the next card is a "3." You get the idea.

With your pile, the odds of flipping over Ace through King in sequence at once ARE very poor. It sure would seem that the only way to get a functional organism would be to have an "intelligent designer" place the cards in order...

BUT

Mvscal may take a while to get that Ace, but then getting that "2" got a little more likely. And once he got Ace and 2, getting that 3 got easier. And so on. By the time he gets to 9, 10, or Jack, he's having an easier time getting to the next level. THAT is how evolution works - already-existing beneficial mutations make the likelihood of the next step that much more likely.

Dimwits argues that the human eye was to "perfect" to have evolved, but scientists predicted the sequence of structural adaptations to get from simple light-sensing pigments to our eye, and by golly, we've found them in nature. Same goes for blood clotting and bacterial flagellar rotors, which Behe falsely claimed were "irreducibly complex."

Berlinski, like Behe, impresses people with his seeming mastery of the concepts (i.e., he talks fancy and claims some authority on the subject), but the fact remains that he doesn't have the foggiest clue about what he is discussing and is misapplying mathematics to the situation. Berlinski, like Behe, is a twit.

BTW, you do realize that whales have digits hidden in those flippers (if you peel back the skin and musculature, you see FINGERS and TOES) and have HIPS like land-dwelling mammals. Oh, and they swim with an up-and-down motion, like otters, not a side-to-side motion, like a fish. But, Berlinski conveniently ignores those facts, along with all those pesky transitional fossils...
1. Thank you for actually watching the video before attacking it.

2. Your example doesn't work since, according to you, the evolutionary process has a beginning and end. I thought it was a matter of ongoing mutations (btw, forgive the rabit trail, but didn't you say once that mutations were different than evolutionary processes?). Therefore, how could MVScal ever get to the end of his cards? It should always have thirteen cards and always need the next card in the process.

3. With creationism, the whole pulling cards in order doesn't have odds stacked against it due to God's omnipotent nature. The cards wouldn't have to be pulled randomly. God would/could place the cards in order as he made them.

4. I'm aware of what makes whales mammals and their difference in swimming than fish. Not unlike seals, actually.

5. I took a look at a blue whale skeleton and yes, you could make the argument that the fins were once hands. However, I'm not seeing the hips. From the skeletons that I'm looking at, it appears as if the spine continues on to the tail with no breaks. Unless you mean the things on the front fins. In this case, were these fins actually legs and, if so, where are the arms? If not, then why hips on the arms?

6. I think with the whole cow/blue whale evolution, he was giving a random example. I think he could have used my cat to whale to serve the same purpose. I don't think the attack on his content for the comparison he used is either valid or fair. I think it was just an example.

7. The math comes in when the whole matter of the 250 proteins being in the exact same spot and then being struck by lightning at that exact time is astronomical. It's a heck of a coincidence that this would happen just on its own. I can't accept that this can just 'happen' on its own.

8. No, I don't think that science is like 'knitting'. I was paraphrasing a statement by PZ Meyers. http://youtube.com/watch?v=cHiZjOH1NmQ I think that it's been wonderful in many ways for the world. I also think that it's been awful in many ways. Ultimately, it was created by God and given to man. Some used it to glorify Him. Others used it to erode Faith. One thing to keep in mind is that the equation is always, in every single circumstance, God>Science Never the other way around.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

mvscal wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the equation is always, in every single circumstance, God>Science Never the other way around.
Just like in every single circumstance you are fucking mindnumbingly ignorant dolt. Who in the fuck is making the God>Science argument anyway?

You are comparing apples to hammers and making yourself look like a complete idiot in the process.
MVScal. '>' means greater than. Therefore, when I say God>Science, that means that in every circumstance, God is greater than science. Glad that I could clear that up for you.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

mvscal wrote:Is there supposed to be any particular relevance to that point?
Not to a self centered, narrow minded, enlightened egocentric.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Geez, that's some pretty harsh language from a "christian."

Is that how you would have others treat you, BCO?

Funny how any time anyone points out the ridiculous flaws in your arguments, they're labelled "narrowminded."

Freaking priceless. Another plungering of BCO, by the hand of BCO.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:Geez, that's some pretty harsh language from a "christian."

Is that how you would have others treat you, BCO?

Funny how any time anyone points out the ridiculous flaws in your arguments, they're labelled "narrowminded."

Freaking priceless. Another plungering of BCO, by the hand of BCO.
Son. Hush. Adults speaking.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That's very harsh language...

Is that how you would have others treat you?

Or are you a standard-issue "christian," of the pick-and-choose variety?

You base all theese (anti) scientific arguments on a book you don't actually believe in?

Awesome, tard.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dinsdale wrote:That's very harsh language...

Is that how you would have others treat you?

Or are you a standard-issue "christian," of the pick-and-choose variety?

You base all theese (anti) scientific arguments on a book you don't actually believe in?

Awesome, tard.
Again, you speak like a child. Once you're grown up, you can join the discussion with the adults. However, you've proven yourself, time and time again, to be unable to carry on a logical and mature discussion. Heck, you make MVScal look like Aristotle.

You do know what forum you're in, right? This is the theology forum.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Why do you hate Matthew 7:12?
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

battery chucka' one wrote:
2. Your example doesn't work since, according to you, the evolutionary process has a beginning and end. I thought it was a matter of ongoing mutations (btw, forgive the rabit trail, but didn't you say once that mutations were different than evolutionary processes?). Therefore, how could MVScal ever get to the end of his cards? It should always have thirteen cards and always need the next card in the process.
First off:

a) I have never stated that the evolutionary process has a beginning and an end. It is an ongoing process. In a way, every species currently in existence (including us) is a transitional form. The activity with playing cards has a beginning and an end...because it is using playing cards.

b) I have never said that mutations were different from evolutionary process. Mutations are a huge component of evolution and could not happen without them. As Dawkins has said, evolution is basically random mutation + NONrandom selection.

c) the point of the activity was to make a simple analogy to show how the process of evolution doesn't require a shitload of necessary components to appear at once, but instead gradually proceeds with each step making succeeding ones easier and more likely.
battery chucka' one wrote:3. With creationism, the whole pulling cards in order doesn't have odds stacked against it due to God's omnipotent nature. The cards wouldn't have to be pulled randomly. God would/could place the cards in order as he made them.
That was my point.

Creationists falsely claim that in order for "evolutionists" to be right, all the millions of necessary molecular, biochemical, structural features for an organism had to appear at once. That's a straw man and they know it. Those of us convinced by the evidence for natural selection have never claimed that the structures had to appear at once. Some of them go to the "of what use is half a wing" argument. The proper reply is "plenty" - it could be a rudder, a flipper, a supporting structure for balance, a display structure for mating, etc.

The group of cards that required the organism to appear Ace through King all at once is the creationist strawman, while the group of cards that took some time to get the Ace and Two in sequence, but then progressed quicker/easier to each succeeding step is the ACTUAL "evolutionist" argument.
battery chucka' one wrote:5. I took a look at a blue whale skeleton and yes, you could make the argument that the fins were once hands.
Not hands, but the basic handlike architecture.

There would be no reason to put fingers and toes in structures like fins that hide them...unless the fins were modified from ancestral land forms.
battery chucka' one wrote:However, I'm not seeing the hips.
They're small, but they're there. Same goes for dolphins and porpoises, all of which had land-based ancestors.
battery chucka' one wrote:7. The math comes in when the whole matter of the 250 proteins being in the exact same spot and then being struck by lightning at that exact time is astronomical.
Except that the "250 proteins" thing is horseshit. No one in evolutionary biology has decided that two-hundred-fifty specific proteins had to be gathered and sparked for life to occur. If Berlinski is saying that biologists ARE making that claim, then he's a flat-out liar. If HE decided, based on his own reading, etc. to have chosen what 250 proteins had to be lined up for "life," then he pulled that number out of his ass.

If you want to play with odds, try to calculate the odds against having myself, Dinsdale, Bri, AND mvscal ALL agreeing on a position. And yet, somehow, in this thread we do.

battery chucka' one wrote:It's a heck of a coincidence that this would happen just on its own. I can't accept that this can just 'happen' on its own.
Just because you can't wrap your head around the concept that biochemical and molecular processes can very nicely occur without any supernatural intervention doesn't mean it hasn't happened (and actually STLL happens). Some folks find it scary and demeaning that they may be "nothing more" than a mere stage in the ongoing organismal process (as opposed to being the pinnacle of some omnipotent deity's loving effort), but fear isn't a rational reason to accept or not accept plain facts. Grow the fuck up.

By the way, the argument that you've just made - that you can't accept that the 250 proteins all happened to be in the right place at the right time (i.e., making the strawman argument about the requirements for the first molecules for life) is PRECISELY what I was addressing in the playing card activity. No evolutionary biologist has MADE the claim that the magical 250 got together and were zapped at a precise moment. Instead, it is much more likely that a known chemical process called "cooperativity" occurred, in which a couple of molecules bonding made it much more likely that subsequent steps would occur. We see it all the time, right now, in the binding of oxygen to the four subunits of hemoglobin in blood and in myriad enzymatic reactions. There's no reason to appeal to supernatural intervention.
battery chucka' one wrote:8. No, I don't think that science is like 'knitting'. I was paraphrasing a statement by PZ Meyers. I think that it's been wonderful in many ways for the world. I also think that it's been awful in many ways. Ultimately, it was created by God and given to man.
Science was NOT created by God.

It is 100% a product of man. It is a wholly HUMAN endeavor.
battery chucka' one wrote:Some used it to glorify Him. Others used it to erode Faith.
But most use it for neither purpose, since science and religion are -or ought to be- nonoverlapping magisteria (to quote Gould). Science and religion each have their appropriate place.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:If you want to play with odds, try to calculate the odds against having myself, Dinsdale, Bri, AND mvscal ALL agreeing on a position. And yet, somehow, in this thread we do.

Shame on you, MtLR...

You've gone with a strawman/red herring/apples-oranges point that you're accusing others of...

This isn't a random event -- it's been statistically screwed by the astronomical stupidity of BCO.

Matter of fact, there's a Law of BCO Astronomical Stupidity --

The longer BCO tries to debate a topic, the greater the probability that everyone on the planet capable of rational thought will disagree with him.

Don't do yourself that which you chide others for, MtLR.