Have you ever lost...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Have you ever lost...

Post by Mikey »

...your area code?

Looks like they're gonna take away our beloved 760 and leave us with 442.

Could be quite traumatic for some folks, but I sort of like 442 now that I think about it.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nort ... 4code.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PUC approves plan to switch North County to 442 area code
By Bruce V. Bigelow
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

12:15 p.m. April 24, 2008

The California Public Utilities Commission Thursday approved a plan that creates a new 442 area code for northern San Diego County telephone customers now in the 760 area code.
Consumers may begin dialing the new 442 area code in six months, and will be required to do so in one year.

The commission's vote, at its regular meeting in San Francisco, culminated a formal process that considered several different proposals to address a telephone number shortage in the 760 area code. The process included gathering testimony in three public hearings last year, and from comments submitted by mail and e-mail.

The following areas in the existing 760 area code will comprise the new 442 area code: Borrego, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Escondido, Fallbrook, Julian, Oceanside, Pauma Valley, Pendleton, Ramona, San Marcos, Valley Center, Vista, and Warner Springs.

A recommendation to carve the 442 area code out of north San Diego County was prepared by Maribeth Bushey, an administrative law judge for the commission who evaluated two alternative plans over the past year.

The alternative that was strongly supported by telephone companies called for imposing an overlay in which the 442 area code would be assigned to new customers in the 760 service area. That would have required phone users to dial the area code even when making local calls.

A third alternative would have extended the 442 area code from northern San Diego County to include Ocotillo, El Centro, Brawley and other communities in western Imperial County.

That option was challenged by the commission's Division of Ratepayer Advocates. It argued against splitting communities along the eastern fringe of the Imperial Valley from the seat of commerce in El Centro and other communities on the west side of the county.

In voting to approve Bushey's proposed decision, the commission agreed with her reasoning that it was appropriate to divide the heavily populated region of northern San Diego County from the sparsely populated rural areas that predominate the rest of the 760 area code.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Have you ever lost...

Post by Dinsdale »

Got that deal years ago. Except I live in the more heavily populated area, so we ganked the more rural folks area code out from under them.

It was chronicled in a Simpsons episode, actually.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

About a year after I moved here we got changed from 941 to 239. No problems.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Flea
Crack Whore

Post by Flea »

went from the 216 to the 440 when I was younger, it was not overly traumatic
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:Got that deal years ago. Except I live in the more heavily populated area, so we ganked the more rural folks area code out from under them.

It was chronicled in a Simpsons episode, actually.
Just the opposite with us. 760 is the largest area code in CA, area wise, and covers most of the SoCal desert areas and the eastern Sierra. It's northern San Diego County that's growing too fast, I guess, so we lose.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

Dinsdale wrote:It was chronicled in a Simpsons episode, actually.
Figures
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Back 20 years or so ago, those rich fukkers down in fairfield county decided they didn't want to share the 203 with the rest of ct. So we been the 860 ever since. can't say I miss it much.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Wolfman wrote:About a year after I moved here we got changed from 941 to 239. No problems.
You're still fucking old even with the bell curve.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

We went from the 716 to the 585 about five years ago or so. The way the local media reacted, you would've thought that it was a sign of the impending apocalypse. However, I'd been through an area code change once before when I lived in SoCal, so it didn't faze me in the least.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

y'know spray, I didn't do a "they changed my area code" bender.

I feel left out.

I think I'll have to work one of those in, maybe next weekend.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

when i was in florida, they decided to change the space coast(Brevard county,Fla) area code to 321
SEC Ballsucking Homer
Meatgrinders 'R Us

Post by SEC Ballsucking Homer »

I could care less about area codes.

I'm scared to death of other zip codes.
There is no other conference.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:We went from the 716 to the 585 about five years ago or so. The way the local media reacted, you would've thought that it was a sign of the impending apocalypse. However, I'd been through an area code change once before when I lived in SoCal, so it didn't faze me in the least.
Yea, it was really no big deal. In the long run, anything that makes Rochester less identified with Buffalo is a good thing.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Charles De Mar
Elwood

Post by Charles De Mar »

SEC Ballsucking Homer wrote:I could care less about area codes.

I'm scared to death of other zip codes.
You speak truth.
yumyumsaladbar wrote:Hey Pickle. I think we're going to be friends
Do you know when you have a wank in the tub and the spunk gets all rubbery and floats to the surface? - thats pretty much like your posts on this forum. You seem to me like like some sort of rubberized jism ....floating on a sea of soapy piss water