ryan mallet transfer

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

ryan mallet transfer

Post by M Club »

apparently he's going to transfer to arkansas. bitch probably wants to play ahora mismo. wahh....

no really, came across this debate:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=777709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

none of these guys think he should an exception should me made. you?

personally, i don't think mallett was screwed any worse than most other athletes. the only difference here is his perceived upside. anecdotally speaking, i had a friend who played goalie for state when ryan miller and josh blackburn were there. that sucked, and it was even worst for blackburn, who was all-ccha his freshman year and ended up backing up a hoby baker winner the next three. circumstance plays just as much of a roll in collegiate success as actual talent, hence why 3rd-string qbs from michigan make nfl rosters. to take it even further, it's why the best supermodel-fucker ever had to share his job during senior season with some mlb/nfl washout.
Screw_Michigan

Re: ryan mallet transfer

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:friend who played goalie for state when ryan miller and joshblackburn were there
it was JOE blackburn. and he wasn't all-ccha his freshman year, he was his sophomore year and not only was he all-ccha, he was first-team all-america for leading msu to their first frozen four appearance since 92. and you're still a bit off, joe blackburn backed up fellow all-american chad alban in 97-98 and then backed up miller in 99-00 and 00-01. alban should have won hobey in 97-98 but he had the best defense in the nation in front of him and he wasn't doing ridiculous shit like miller did the next few years.

JOSH blackburn was busy dropping kegs on his foot and solidifying his role as shittiest #1 goaltender in scU-M hockey history. even billy sauer thinks josh blackburn blew goat nuts.
Last edited by Screw_Michigan on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

touche. the gist remains, especially since you've pointed out JOSH blackburn: that dood started for seven years simply because he timed his career right.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:touche. the gist remains, especially since you've pointed out JOSH blackburn: that dood started for seven years simply because he timed his career right.
to an extent. more like he was recruited to play at a school by a coach who goes by the philosophy of recruiting goaltenders to start as freshmen and play four years (unless they leave early like montoya). red only goes hardcore after goaltenders every three years, which is/was a stark contrast to mason and other coaches who will take the best goaltender they can whenever the possibility arises. in essence, this is a great philosophy to get the premier goaltenders (when you choose) because it's a top 5 program and you're pretty much guaranteed (barring injury) to play at least 100 games by the middle of your junior year. you are battle tested by the time it's time to go pro.

the only reason why blackburn started as often as he did and played as many games as he did was because red was too stubborn to realize he fucking blew and refused to go out and get another decent goaltender, feeling content with dressing losers like o'malley and scarpace (a transfer from wmu) to back blackburn up. to o'malley's credit, he may have as good or better than blackburn. blackburn had a five hole that would have made chris osgood in the mid to late 90s blush.

i'll give you mad props for using a college hockey analogy in a mallett thread, though. i'm surprised you haven't dropped an ohio state 98 blast on me yet. i'm still bitter from that. thank god the ncaa woke up and decided to get away from home venues for the tournament. you're the top seed in the tournament and you're playing a league opponent in your bitter rival's own crib. talk about getting fucked.
Last edited by Screw_Michigan on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

regarding mallett, you're close, but hockey is a different breed than football. for example, in hockey, if you still have eligibility (under 20 yo), and you get offered scholarships or a roster spot, you can choose to play another year of juniors for whatever reason (didn't get a scholarship offer and want to hold out for one, improve your play to get that offer, improve your play to hopefully get drafted before entering college, not like the way your future college roster is shaking out and waiting for people to leave, etc). high school seniors in football can't just postpone their careers. sure, they can wait a year, but with not having an alternative avenue to continue playing, you're pretty much forced to go to college right away if you have any hopes of playing 1-A college football.

so you're right to a point, but it's still a bit different for hockey. many people still don't understand how hockey players can get drafted before/while still in college. the rules are just different because of the alternative avenues one can take before reaching professional status.

and i agree with you on mallett.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:even billy sauer thinks josh blackburn blew goat nuts.

Sauer is saving face with this year's effort...never would've imagined he'd play this well. I figured he'd be the one holding them back from contending...now he's one of the best goalies in the nation.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

I say...fuck 'em.

Its not like Lloyd Nick Saban'd or something. The guy is older, and everyone knew retirement was a possibility.
Those who stay will be champions.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

how many thought that retirement was a possibility and they would run a sandlot offense under the new regime? QBs fit systems, mallet used to fit Michigans, he no longer does, when Henne was hurt the kid came in and did well to help that program but that program isnt going to use him now so let the kid go. I dont see Arkansas as a much better fit, maybe now that Nutt and the babymaker are gone theyre planning on using a big boy offense though.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I think Mallet is smart to transfer-out. Ya RR has a more distant history with using a dropback qb but at Clemson and WV it has been about the dual-threat guy. Mallett will be better-off in a pro-style O. But you can't give Mallett an exemption unless you are going to start giving all the other guys whose coaches left exemptions as-well. If the NCAA is prepared to give them all a pass then so-be-it but not just Mallett. If anyone should get a pass I'd say it is coaching-change guys that are going into their senior-season, and Mallett is coming off his true-frosh year. He can redshirt and still play three seasons.

Problem is though that if you give all coaching change guys exemptions you know damn-well there will be considerable under-the-table recruiting going on wherever a change is taking place. Without the year-off predators would be sniffing-around. Plus you have to add a stipulation like if you use the exemption that is the last 1A school you can play at, no more jumping.

I'd say the NCAA has to say no to Mallett unless it is ready to set a major precedent that could shake things up significantly. I don't see that happening.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The kid who CUM had his mom throw him out of the house when he verballed to USC is transferring out of Florida. James Wilson whos dad lives in LA and mom lives in Florida decided he wanted to go to USC, Meyer wanted the kid bad so he started working on the kids mom eventually getting her to throw him out of her house his senior year of High School until he changed his commitment to Florida, once at Florida, Wilson was roomed with Tebow but after a semester of his freshman year he is transferring out of Florida, meyer has blocked him from going to USC so Wilson will likely wind up at Wake Forest.
Brock in Va Beach
Jake
Location: Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE. The nicest place you could ever go to lose.

Post by Brock in Va Beach »

If he has 1/4th of the talent that Meyer and Carroll believed he did, then Grobe will do great things with him.
Don't run from a sniper, you'll just die tired.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:i'll give you mad props for using a college hockey analogy in a mallett thread, though. i'm surprised you haven't dropped an ohio state 98 blast on me yet. i'm still bitter from that.
i'm fairly consistent in my opinion about hating. i don't find it worthwhile. i'll root against teams, but i won't make a point of rubbing salt into any wounds. even if michigan had more of a say in what position tressel dicks them, say a 3-4 record instead of 1-6, even then i wouldn't make a point of bringing up the last two bcs cames even though i'd have more of a right to do so.

i brought up hockey b/c it was the only anecdote i had to use about the way timing influences a career, not so much to compare the differences in eligibility. from a frustrated pov, i could've gone with navarre. how that guy played four years at michigan is beyond me. people and their prototypes.