What other moves can be made?

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

What other moves can be made?

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Cleveland has to be shopping. They need to add depth at the 4 and/or 5 if they want to hang with Boston and Detroit. No way Detroit lets Lebron hang 48 on them again in the ECF should it come to that.

Portland might be shopping, but I think their better off just waiting to see what happens. If they get into the #8 spot, great. Should they get into the lotto, great. Oden will be back and the Blazers get a top 15 pick. What the hell is wrong with that? Seems like a win/win for them.

I think Toronto is content with growing. They should be a real contender out east next year with Bosh, Calderon and Bargnani. I can see the Rockets hooking up with the Raptors here on a deal that would send a hurting T.J. Ford to Houston and Toronto would get Rafer Alston, Kirk Snyder, and a draft pick. Ford would be a liability because of health concerns for the Rockets, but they BADLY need a point guard so T-Mac can work more off the ball. I think this move helps both teams out. But, its the only scenario I see Toronto entertaining.

San Antonio probably won't do anything and neither will New Orleans. Although New Orleans could use some help down low. Maybe they can make a move for Joe Smith from Chicago.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: What other moves can be made?

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Cleveland has to be shopping. They need to add depth at the 4 and/or 5 if they want to hang with Boston and Detroit.
And who do you suppose is going to trade with Cleveland? There's that pesky matching-salaries thing, and who exactly do you suppose you're going to get for Larry Hughes, who is essentially the only trade-bait they have (since they claim Sideshow Varajao is "untouchable")?

I hope LeEgo can carry that team singlehandedly, since the bad, bad deals they've made since Jim Paxon left are sentencing them to years of what they have now.
Portland might be shopping, but I think their better off just waiting to see what happens.

I soppose they might be, except KP has stated that he's yet to make one outgoing phone call approaching the deadline. Something about "I like the team we have." What I could see happening is maybe trading some pieces to move up and get Derrick Rose, although I think KP has his eye on Chris Paul (not likely), Derron Williams (also unlikely), or maybe even Conley (entirely possible, Memphis' current owners won't pay him) in a couple of years... it's good to be rich.
If they get into the #8 spot, great. Should they get into the lotto, great. Oden will be back and the Blazers get a top 15 pick. What the hell is wrong with that? Seems like a win/win for them.

Only problem, is there aren't any rother spots. Who do they ditch to sign a #15ish pick? Sure, the guys at the end of the bench are expendable, but it still means the loss of a player who has been in developement for a year or more for an unknown. Could be a very tradable pick, either up or down or for a later year.
I think Toronto is content with growing. They should be a real contender out east next year with Bosh, Calderon and Bargnani.
A 2 guard, and they could be scary... assuming Bargnani doesn't continue to slam his head into the Wall (how's that fraudulent ROY pick working for you, idiot reporter?).
I can see the Rockets hooking up with the Raptors here on a deal that would send a hurting T.J. Ford to Houston and Toronto would get Rafer Alston, Kirk Snyder, and a draft pick. Ford would be a liability because of health concerns for the Rockets, but they BADLY need a point guard so T-Mac can work more off the ball.
QUACK QUACK there's a certain PG that seems to be exceeding all expectations in Houston, QUACK QUACK. The Rox games I've seen recently, he's been quite impressive, for an "afterthought" style pick.

San Antonio probably won't do anything
They'll do the usual -- play out the season, and adress their needs in the offseason by finding an aging ring-whore who will play for pennies on the dollar... business as usual.
and neither will New Orleans. Although New Orleans could use some help down low.
Help down low? I see one of the leagues best-kept secrets is still a secret to those in the same division.

Help down low? Are you smoking crack? An absolute BEAST down low on offense, and one of the top rebounders on defense. WTF, dude -- they have one of the most fearsome big-man tandems in the game.
Maybe they can make a move for Joe Smith from Chicago.

Oh, I get it -- you're trolling. Obviously, since Mr. Charmin wouldn't be an upgrade for Spud Freaking Webb down low, much less David West.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

West and Chandler are good, but they need one more body or perhaps a SF slasher.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:West and Chandler are good, but they need one more body or perhaps a SF slasher.

West and Chandler are borderline dominating.

And maybe they could benefit from a better slasher at SF, maybe not. In years past, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But with the zone becoming more and more prevalent, it might be better to stick with a zone-buster at the 3 with that much bulk down low... and last I checked, they have a multiple 3 Point Challenge winner at the 3 at present.

But I'm hearing a lot about Artest to Denver the last couple of days.

Perfect. Just... perfect. Nice to see character counts for something in Denver.

Actually, last night during the game, our very colorful color commentator was discussing what an outstanding one-on-one defender Artest was, which he screws up by overcommitting to making steals. Then the trade rumors were discussed... Rice commented that "Put Artest with that group, and theyll try to steal some basketballs, alright. Actually, I'm just goping to stop, and not continue with that line of humor, and leave it at that."

Do it, Denver. That would be the worst collection of human beings ever assembled on an NBA court. They could hire Jayson Williams as Director of Player Development.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

You know New Orleans schedule is absolutely brutal for the next couple of weeks. I guess we'll find out how really good they are when they come out on the other side of this Murderers' Row

Dallas
Houston
@ San Antonio
Washington (not a factor)
Phoenix
Utah
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Washington (not a factor)

Oh, I dunno. They've had monsterous injury problems, but it seems like if they can get a halfway heathy Jamison and Butler on the floor, they can beat anybody on any given night. Especially since a max-salary guy is in a contract year (:bigshocker: that Antawn is putting up HoF numbers this year, eh?).

Speaking of -- the Blazers get the Clips 3 times coming up, the Sonics 3 more, and I believe 2 more with the Wolves. Gravy, baby. Then again, they've got 3 with the Suns and 3 with the Lakes coming up in short order, too.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

The Bullets are good when healthy, but that team is in fucking shambles right. I'm not sure when Butler is due back in the lineup, but they can compete when he and Jamison are on the floor like you had mentioned.

Houston gets cupcakes for the most part until early March. They need to keep this winning streak going until they hit the hard parts of their schedule. A cusion is key right now.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote: They need to keep this winning streak going until they hit the hard parts of their schedule. A cusion is key right now.

Preaching to the chior here, bud.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

the big cactus

make your time bitches
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Fuck that noise. The minute Nash ups the tempo, is the minute when Shaq's kids inherit millions.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

and i thought i was the only retarded one in this forum (other than dio). perhaps the three of us can start a gang.

youre stupid.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

bbqjones wrote:youre stupid.
You're just now figuring this out?
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

bbqjones wrote:and i thought i was the only retarded one in this forum (other than dio). perhaps the three of us can start a gang.

youre stupid.
In.

Should we be the Stoopid Suns or the Phoenix Phools?
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Don't rule out "The Empty Trophy Case Posse."
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs.

RF, your thoughts?

ImageImage
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The move is so Spurs-like, it can only be described as "Spurs-like."
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

kurt thomas has bug eyes or crazy cross eyes. i dont trust the dude. im glad phx got rid of him.

SUNS CHAMPIONSHIP COUNTDOWN IN NINE MINUTES
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

bbqjones wrote: im glad phx got rid of him.

Of course. While Kerr may try to fight it, Suns' policy has always been that absolutely no defense will be allowed while wearing a Suns uniform.

Kurt Thomas played fairly good low post D. All that serves to do in Phoenix is make Amare look bad, and Amare has made it clear his ego comes before the team (and now he has The Master to take lessons on being a selfish douche from). And it might win a game or two, but Phoenix' core group only wants to win if it's handed to them on a silver platter.... making Shaq a perfect fit.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

youre starting to sound like anniebystandard. take it to the suns thread giamatti
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Remember the kiss of death my Mario Elie? Thats what I thought, bbq.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

my ki8ss of death was I DO.

youre sure to understand in a short time.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Rockets get Gerald Green from Minnesota for Kirk Snyder - meh

Rockets get Bobby Jackson, No Namer, and a second round pick from New Orleans for Bonzi Wells and Mike James - meh

Rockets do free up some future cap room for next year and definitely the year after. Jackson will be a solid backup should Alston go on one of his brutal cold spells. Dude is old though. He doesn't have the speed he used to have in Sactown, but maybe he will fit right into Addelman's scheme.

Cavs get Ben Wallace and Wally Szerbiak. The Cavs are a contender when Sideshow Bob returns. The east is now a three horse race.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't know why those teams are even bothering -- they should keep their warmups on and save themselves the grief...

It's all over, baby.

The Blazers aquired Von Motherfucking Wafer. We're already planning the championship parade.

Actually, there's very, very few NBA players I couldn't tell you at least a little something about. Wafer is one of those.

But as silly as the trade sounds (was for Taurean Green), Wafer's rookie contract is up at the end of the year. They traded for a roster spot so the best player in Europe, Rudy Fernandez can come over next year. Still need to clear another spot for Oden (unless one of the other guys can mysteriously suffer some nagging injury that puts him on the DL... wait, you don't even have to lie about that anymore... don't know if you guys knew that, but that's a Blazer thing -- Stern got tired of looking into medical reports and whatsuch when the Blazers used to try and keep 15 guys rotating, based on coming matchups. Now, the league just doesn't care).

I can't believe the Cavs found a sucker to Take Larry "Max" Hughes. Props to them.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:I can't believe the Cavs found a sucker to Take Larry "Max" Hughes. Props to them.

That just tells you how badly they wanted to move Big Ben's contract.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Von Motherfucking Wafer.

Make your time.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Diogenes wrote:Kurt Thomas to the Spurs.

RF, your thoughts?
Initially it was this --> :twisted:

That guy was a freaking monster. I've seen him play in person. Very impressive.

Of course, that was a few years ago, and pop hasn't played him since he signed. As it should be. If dude can learn the system in a couple of months, and the Spurs get back to the Finals this year, people in SA will be saying Francisco who?

But until then, Elson, like every other player on the Spurs roster, is hugely popular in SA. The fans in SA get pissed about any change whatsoever, given the unique bond the city has with the team. (It's much like the relationship Portland has with the Blazers, given that there are no other major-league teams in the city).

Hell, Malik Rose, has a home and a hugely popular restaurant in SA.

I just hope we can re-sign Brent Barry. The Spurs need offense, not defense, at this point. But then again, I'm not a general manager, thank God.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

It nice seein' Bobby Jackson immediately fit nicely into Addelman's system and get 14 points off the bench last night. 11 of them coming in the 4th quarter.

This team is white hot. The next 4 games are at home with Denver ebing the only threat. This team should get to 16 in a row before they go play Dallas at AA Arena.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Adelman. It's "Adelman."

Or at least it was when I met the man, and was doing work on his house.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

RadioFan wrote:I just hope we can re-sign Brent Barry. The Spurs need offense, not defense, at this point. But then again, I'm not a general manager, thank God.
Brent would like it in Phoenix. He'd be a nice fit there.

I think Thomas will help take some of the pressure off of TD come playoff time. Needless to say I was a tad perturbed when the Suns let him go. Again, he's a good fit for the Spurs style of play.

ImageImage
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Diogenes wrote:Brent would like it in Phoenix. He'd be a nice fit there.

What?

Bone plays defense and shoots 3's, and little else. Should I give a long but incomplete list of the tons of players that fit that very definition that Phoenix has run out of town who fit that exact description?

The very idea that Phoenix is bound-and-determined to prove they can win a championship without playing any defense is getting outright hilarious to everyone outside of Phoenixfan.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:It nice seein' Bobby Jackson immediately fit nicely into Addelman's system and get 14 points off the bench last night. 11 of them coming in the 4th quarter.

This team is white hot. The next 4 games are at home with Denver ebing the only threat. This team should get to 16 in a row before they go play Dallas at AA Arena.
How hot are they going to be without Yow Ming?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:
How hot are they going to be without Yow Ming?

Depends whether the officials decide to waive the three-in-the-key rule for his replacement, as well.

The refs were doing ok earlier in the season. Too bad they've reverted to the Stern Rules since then.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: Depends whether the officials decide to waive the three-in-the-key rule for his replacement, as well.

Thats funny. Too bad that shit aint true, Dins.

Btw, rack the Rockets for coming out and playing with some passion the other night and stomping the shit out of the Wizards.

Yes, yes...I know it was on the heels of a back-to-back and the Wizards are banged up, but that thrashing was not at all what I expected.

They should hold one for the 8th spot in the west since their schedule isn't very difficult, bu no chance in hell they win the first round.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Thats funny. Too bad that shit aint true, Dins.
Wha?

A more homeresque take I've never heard.

Dude -- even Moses Malone can't believe how much time Yowee spends in the lane.

But Stern doesn't want to piss of the Chinger contongient, which is replacing the waves of American fans that the Stern Rules are driving away. Yoa seems to be able to do little wrong, when healthy.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

You're fucking crazy. Yao is(was) always moving his feet in and out of the lane.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's gone beyond the point of just my local homer-announcers joking about it -- the TNT and ESPN guys comment on the same things... along with all the guys I hang out and watch hoops with. It's become something of a drinking game -- when Yao goes into the paint, we start counting... when it gets to 6, everyone has to drink... and the drinks flow about every time the Rox get the ball.

You must not be watching the same Youch as me... or anyone else outside of Houston.

He's become the worst lane-camper in NBA history, and it's pathetic the refs weren't doing anything about it... but apparently Karma got busy with it.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Now you're just being silly. I haven't heard the ESPN or TNT guys say one thing about it. I'll say this about my boy though, he may be guilty from camping from time to time but at least he ain't a flopper or a showboat. He is a basketball player.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If by "from time to time," you mean "every single time in the halfcourt set," then I agree wholeheartedly.

But he does stand his ground and play D instead of Vlading it.