Help-a

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Help-a

Post by ChargerMike »

The ole buzzard has been invited by a not-so-shabby young lady for a weekend B-B-Q...with the stipulation that I do the honors.
I'm ok with chicken, above average with steaks, and put out a down right melt in your mouth salmon.

She doesn't like fish.....suggestions please
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Try steaks or chicken?
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

I was really counting on you Mikey.....

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You want something impressive?
Do you think she'll eat lamb?

Get a boneless leg of lamb, make a marinade out of extra virgin olive oil, fresh minced rosemary, lots of fresh minced garlic, a couple dashes of thyme, salt and pepper. Coat the whole thing with the marinade and let it sit for about an hour.

Heat your grill up to a medium high indirect heat. That means use the front and back burners but leave the middle one off. Grill the lamb on indirect heat for about 45 minutes or until the thickest part reads about 145 degrees with an instant read thermometer. Remove the lamb and let it rest for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Serve with hummos and pita bread, basmati or jasmine rice and a Greek salad (gotta have some feta cheese on that sucker). Drink some red wine with the meal. Break out the baklava and ouzo for dessert. Drink shots of ouzo shouting "oupa!!" with each shot and throw some dinner plates on the floor. Then fuck all night.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Mikey wrote:You want something impressive?
Do you think she'll eat lamb?

Get a boneless leg of lamb, make a marinade out of extra virgin olive oil, fresh minced rosemary, lots of fresh minced garlic, a couple dashes of thyme, salt and pepper. Coat the whole thing with the marinade and let it sit for about an hour.

Heat your grill up to a medium high indirect heat. That means use the front and back burners but leave the middle one off. Grill the lamb on indirect heat for about 45 minutes or until the thickest part reads about 145 degrees with an instant read thermometer. Remove the lamb and let it rest for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Serve with hummos and pita bread, basmati or jasmine rice and a Greek salad (gotta have some feta cheese on that sucker). Drink some red wine with the meal. Break out the baklava and ouzo for dessert. Drink shots of ouzo shouting "oupa!!" with each shot and throw some dinner plates on the floor. Then fuck all night.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about...Done deal, I love lamb, and you know I'll have a fine bottle of merlot..I knew i could count on you Mikey and i'll let you know how it all turns out.. :D

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Good luck with that.

:wink:

The lamb is seriously good.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Mikey's on the right track.

Depending on how thick the leg is, I'd take it off at 135-140. Lamb is best when served rare top medium rare.

Since we're talking lamb recipes, here's one from Emeril that I've made several times and it is out of this world. I use the food processor to get a real good emulsion, and I don't usually measure anything. I just throw it all in the processor. Pretty much like Mikey's except with Red Wine & Dijonm and a longer marinating process.

Ingredients needed:

* 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup dry red wine
* 3 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* One 6-pound leg of lamb, trimmed of fat
* 3 pounds baby potatoes, rinsed well and halved (if larger than 1 1/2-inches in diameter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, red wine and garlic. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to form an emulsion, then whisk in the herbs, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture over the lamb, coating the outside completely. Place the lamb in a large plastic bag and cover with any remaining marinade. Seal the bag, refrigerate and let marinate at least 8 and up to 48 hours, turning the bag occasionally to coat evenly. Cut the baby potatoes and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme, turning to coat evenly.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Place the lamb in a large roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and spread the potatoes evenly around the lamb. Return to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb registers 140°F. for medium-rare, about 1 hour more.

Remove the lamb from the pan and place on a platter to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Return the potatoes to the oven to continue cooking while the meat rests.

Carve the lamb and serve with the hot roasted potatoes.

Yield: 6 servings

Also make a nice Au Jus out of the drippings and process that with fresh rosemary and 1TBS of balsamic vinegar to drizzle over the servings.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Headhunter wrote:Mikey's on the right track.

Depending on how thick the leg is, I'd take it off at 135-140. Lamb is best when served rare top medium rare.
Agreed on the temperature. 140 is probably more like it.

Are you sure your recipe isn't for a bone-in leg? Sounds like a lot of cooking time. With my grilled boneless recipe you can apply the marinade the night before, if you want, but it works just as well if you do it while the meat is coming to room temp before cooking.

The nice thing about grilling the boneless leg is that the thickness varies and you get some parts that are rare to medium rare and some that are grilled almost to crispiness, so you have something that will appeal to everybody no matter how they like it cooked. Personally I like it medium rare, but the well done parts have a great flavor all their own.

PS you can pick up a boneless leg of lamb at Sam's club or Costco fairly cheap.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I've always done it with boneless. Keep in mind, the recipe calls for a 6 lb leg. That's a pretty honking leg of lamb. I usually get mine from Sam's or the grocery store and they weigh in at about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. The important part is the internal temperature. Get that right, and it doesn't matter how long you've cooked it.

My wife and daughter aren't real crazy about Lamb, but I freaking love it, So I bust this out on guests a lot (when the wife & kid aren't the primary concern) and I've always had compliments galore on this. It really is outstanding.

The advantage of doing it in the oven is the retention of the pan drippings for Lamb Gravy to serve with Mashed Potatoes (Always a winner with Lamb) and to make the Lamb Au Jus. But grilling sounds like it might bring out some more robust flavors. I might have to give that a shot sometime. I've always grilled chops, but never the leg.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.