Question about the impounding rule

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Question about the impounding rule

Post by Atomic Punk »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that rule supposed to prevent crews from doing illegal shit to the cars prior to the race?

Chad Knaus had previously said that he can create more downforce by increasing the pressure in the left rear shock to about 1000 PSI. What that does is raise the left rear and compress the right front.

Okay, then how is it that wasn't picked up prior to this impound rule? Don't tell me that with all of those NASCAR officials standing around the cars that some gremlins snuck in and did modifications at night. After all, those NASCAR officials should have seen any tampering.

If you make adjustments during the race, then tough shit how the car gets out of specs. If JJ gets points deductions with all of this impounding and NASCAR official goons monitoring all phases, then it's NASCAR's problem for not figuring out how cars can get that way.

If every car has those wedge bolts on each rear that increase or decrease pressure on the springs along with rubber pieces that fit in the springs, then it seems to be simple physics as to why it could happen. The trackbar and tire pressures wouldn't make that big of a difference in that case.

Maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way. Thoughts?
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

I agree with you in the sense if something happens during the race, they shouldn't be penalized. I mean, why have an impound rule? The Cars go thru the house of doom every week, so I just don't get how they could think anyone could make drastic changes during practice. They do watch during final practice too, so I thought they'd catch any cheating before the car was able to take the track.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

The impound rule, for whatever reason, was not in effect at LVMS this past weekend.

I guess they just pick selective tracks to use that rule, and I have no idea what the criteria is.

The reason for the rule (in my understanding) is that you have to race the same set-up car that you qualify in, which should in theory help some of the smaller, less well funded teams be competitve during the race.

Or some shit like that.

Btw, I can't believe I'm not hearing some folks screaming bloody murder over Harvick's team getting caught cheating during qualifying. Seems they tried to hide the fact they didn't have a full load of fuel which new rules this year mandate.

Whatever. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

So they disallow his 4th place qualifying run and make him start at the back. The #29 then drives to the front, and then get's popped for speeding on pit row and gets sent to the back again...and still winds up 5th. He had the best car at that track yesterday and would've won otherwise.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

That's interesting......

I was trying to figure out how Knaus could set up the cars in qualifying and thought he may have done this: He put rubber in the right springs and really tightened down the left spring with a high PSI shock. Then during the race on the first pit stop they can take a whole lot of wedge out on the left rear after pulling rubber from the right springs. It's the only thing I could come up with to give him that frame angle.

Well if NASCAR wants to pick and choose when they impound cars then it seems to me they should be consistent. Roger Penske was telling Rusty Wallace that he'd fire any of his guys for cheating. Rusty then told him that everyone cheats.

It took me awhile to figure out the thought behind the impound rule. The little fish would be given the same chance although they are still at a disadvantage.

One thing about that tight community is they move people around different organizations so that knowledge from the big boys can travel. Next, you just need to get something like a general sponsors fund like a grant for teams that can't bring in as much money.

rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

War Wagon wrote:The impound rule, for whatever reason, was not in effect at LVMS this past weekend.

I guess they just pick selective tracks to use that rule, and I have no idea what the criteria is.

The reason for the rule (in my understanding) is that you have to race the same set-up car that you qualify in, which should in theory help some of the smaller, less well funded teams be competitve during the race.

Or some shit like that.

Btw, I can't believe I'm not hearing some folks screaming bloody murder over Harvick's team getting caught cheating during qualifying. Seems they tried to hide the fact they didn't have a full load of fuel which new rules this year mandate.

Whatever. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

So they disallow his 4th place qualifying run and make him start at the back. The #29 then drives to the front, and then get's popped for speeding on pit row and gets sent to the back again...and still winds up 5th. He had the best car at that track yesterday and would've won otherwise.
Sounds to me like an asshole getting treated like an asshole. RACK Nascar this time...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

the impound rule only goes in effect at the tracks that owned by nascar. all of the other tracks right now only volunteer to do so.
those that get 50,000 people at qualifying definitely are not choosing to go to the short day. there are more quirks than that...
but basically that's what it boils down to.
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Mac22 wrote:the impound rule only goes in effect at the tracks that owned by nascar. all of the other tracks right now only volunteer to do so.
those that get 50,000 people at qualifying definitely are not choosing to go to the short day. there are more quirks than that...
but basically that's what it boils down to.
If that's true, then it makes NASCAR look foolish. Mike Helton even looks like Saddam Hussein.

I understand they are trying to ultimately bring fairness to the sport, but they really need to be consistent.

It seems to be a mix of safety and fairness. By safety I mean that if someone says the car is too loose and we know how to fix it before the race so we don't cause an accident like the old Busch days of 2 years ago. Then fairness by saying that all of you mechanics and technicians better have figured it out early because y'all are given the same chance at getting the car right.

That's how it seems to me.
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

you know what? after thinking how 40 other cars passed thru post race inspections, I'm thinking they should drop a heaver hammer on Hendrick.

I'm all for moving Kyle and Jimmy to the back of the lead pack, and declaring Kurt Busch winner.

That might curb the cheating a bit.

Would you cheat to get the win, win the money, pay the fine, and still be ahead? What's 25K to these guys they just won 275k
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

War Wagon wrote:Whatever. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Good post, but I'd like to point out that Kurt Busch got sent to the rear for 2 loose lugs the same time Harvick did, and moved thru traffic and past Harvick, so I dissagree on who had the best car, and would have won.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

jackass

Please quit posting sound, logical takes.

I'm not used to it, and quite frankly, can't deal with that shit.

:)
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

War Wagon wrote:jackassPlease quit posting sound, logical takes.I'm not used to it, and quite frankly, can't deal with that shit. :)
indeed!

:wink:
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

Done!

You're all Gay!
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

^^^ Funniest sig pic for a forum ever!

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

jackass007 wrote:Done!

You're all Gay!
That's better! :lol: