Callahan,GONZO!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

DiT
Eternal Scobode

Callahan,GONZO!

Post by DiT »

I think we all kinda knew it was coming with some of us praying it was coming.
it's official,the clown is gone.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

you suppose Osborne will contact Monty Kiffin?
get out, get out while there's still time
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Felix wrote:you suppose Osborne will contact Monty Kiffin?
Too old
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

they better lock down Pelini before Miles bolts and LSU offers him.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Tom Osborne wrote:"I hate to sit in judgment of other people. I never envisioned having to do this."
never envisioned having to fire Callahan....

that's a load of horseshit, that's why they brought him back....
get out, get out while there's still time
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

I think he was referring to the fact that he never thought he'd be asked to be the AD to make that decision because Steve Pederson had the job. He also gave the coaches some benchmarks to go by, which included winning more games than they lost the rest of the way. He had hoped it would work out.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

DiT wrote:they better lock down Pelini before Miles bolts and LSU offers him.
if Colorado boards are to be believed (supposedly info from the poster who "broke" the Pedey fire).....NU and Pelini are meeting next week.

grain of salt, but hey.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Not likely LSU will hire him HC. They'll want a proven commodity, same approach NU should take.
I think Osborne will hire within a week or 10 days. He's had a search firm for a week or so, but has spoken to no one before this morning. Just attempting feed back on prospectve interested individuals.
Pelini may be a homerun, but he just as likely could prove that being head coach is more than his plate can hold.
It's a roll of the dice, I'm not sure Osborne will take that chance as most everyone here seems he will. Doesn't fit his decision making prowess in my mind.

He mentioned in the press release the importance of NU being relevent in the big picture. This hire will detemine that. His legacy will be at stake to a very large degree, he has to get it right.

Pelini is a fan favorite (boosters too) here, but I'm convienced Osborne will not make this desicion based on that. It'll have to be Pelini conviencing coach. He'll get an interview most likely. Many believe it's a done deal, I believe it's not.

I'm somewhat concerned Turner Gill will get a shot...Osborne was best man at his wedding several years ago.
He's just not there yet and may never be. But Osborne puts character at the front of the list..(save the shit Tigger fans, just worry about KU tonight. You don't know him.)

I'm in the "other" guy group I guess. I like Paul Johnson or Brian Kelly.
But if Pelini comes here so be it... I wanted him to get the job after the 2003 season so I'd surely roll with it if he can sell Osborne. Just go get Chip Kelly from Oregon to be OC.

And yeah Duck fan...why would he? Sure longshot, but to get out from under Bellotti's offensive shadow...maybe.
Last edited by Cornhusker on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

Cornhusker wrote:
Not likely LSU will hire him HC. They'll want a proven commodity, same approach NU should take.
I think Osborne will hire within a week or 10 days. He's had a search firm for a week or so, but has spoken to no one before this morning. Just attempting feed back on prospectve interested individuals.
Pelini may be a homerun, but he just as likely could prove that being head coach is more than his plate can hold.
It's a roll of the dice, I'm not sure Osborne will take that chance as most everyone here seems he will. Doesn't fit his decision making prowess in my mind.

He mentioned in the press release the importance of NU being relevent in the big picture. This hire will detemine that. His legacy will be at stake to a very large degree, he has to get it right.

Pelini is a fan favorite (boosters too) here, but I'm convienced Osborne will not make this desicion based on that. It'll have to be Pelini conviencing coach. He'll get an interview most likely. Many believe it's a done deal, I believe it's not.

I'm somewhat concerned Turner Gill will get a shot...Osborne was best man at his wedding several years ago.
He's just not there yet and may never be. But Osborne puts character at the front of the list..(save the shit Tigger fans, just worry about KU tonight. You don't know him.)

But if Pelini comes here so be it... I wanted him to get the job after the 2003 season so I'd surely roll with it if he can sell Osborne. Just go get Chip Miller from Oregon to be OC.

And yeah Duck fan...why would he? Sure longshot, but to get out from under Bellotti's offensive shadow...maybe.
I get the feeling Pelini is gonna be the man.
once he bolts, Miles is a lock for Michigan.
Todd Graham(Tulsa) goes to the @TM (or Brian Kelly).
Callahan goes to the Pac-10 at Oregon St.
LSU is anybodys guess.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Monty would have been worth offering when TO retired, now he is just too old.

My realistic choices would be:

1. Brian Kelly-but will have to wait to see if Mich makes a move, unfortunately they'll have first dibs
2. Chris Peterson
3. Calhoun from AF-could be hard get since he left NFL-OC position to coach his alma-mater, but he is a helluva coach
4. Jim Grobe
5. Paul Johnson
6. June Jones
7. Pelini
8. Bud Foster-Va Tech DC
9. Gill
10. Gary Patterson
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

It definitely sounds like Pelini is the front runner so far, but Osborne will interview more than him just to be sure.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Glen Mason
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Mason has gotten some internet attention but I don't see it. I think TO would bring back Bohl before him. Mason would be a solid option for a Baylor or at-best an Ol' Miss.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Mason would definitely bring back that smashmouth running style to Lincoln. He always had NFL-caliber running backs at Minnesota. But he would need to bring in a proven DC to shore up that side of things.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

God, please no Glen Mason. The man barely has a winning record all-time.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Re: Callahan,GONZO!

Post by RadioFan »

DiT wrote:it's official,the clown is gone.
I just want to RACK this. It may be my sig.

Carry on ...
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Mason is a tool.

he'd be a great coach till the next job opened, then he would bolt. Not get the job. And beg to come back.. Then get fired.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Cornhusker wrote:

But if Pelini comes here so be it... I wanted him to get the job after the 2003 season so I'd surely roll with it if he can sell Osborne. Just go get Chip Kelly from Oregon to be OC.

Search firm my ass! This thing has been done for 2 weeks. Your seeing TO the politican and is using his word is stronger than oak which is Bull shit!!! Osborne has an ego that you can't even fatham. They will make it look like the search is starting when in reality its ending. Bo IS the coach, the rest are just details. Nebraskans are suckers for thinking Osborne didn't start this search awhile ago. Give me a break.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

So, 'sker fans, what's the story? Are you interested in Turner Gill coming back home? Have you heard any new, improved rumors, like Peterson, for example?

I'm pretty sure that there's a candidate out there who is familiar with Lincoln... He's been a head coach at another program with expectations in the past too... He knows Big 12 recruiting... He even has some pro coaching experience. He's also quite the character guy, other than his chronic delusions of grandeur. I mean, the guy's claimed a National Championship from a school at which he wasn't playing or coaching the year that said championship was won.

Also, you could alternate, sometimes in the same game, between old school 'bone Nebraska and new school air-it-out Nebraska. Sometimes even in the same series... He's guaranteed to keep things interesting beyond your wildest dreams.

I present to you, the new coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers...

God, don't I wish...

But, in all seriousness, are you guys thinking that Pelini is the guy for you; really? I mean, he's a defensive guy, and Nebraska's defense hasn't exactly been beating down the world lately... I'd LOVE to see Nebraska get back to the team that they used to be; kicking the crap out of everybody except OU... :D (I love you, Dr. Tom. Sin, Barry S.)

What do you fellers think?

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Jimbo Fisher to LSU

Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Search firm my ass! This thing has been done for 2 weeks. Your seeing TO the politican and is using his word is stronger than oak which is Bull shit!!! Osborne has an ego that you can't even fatham. They will make it look like the search is starting when in reality its ending. Bo IS the coach, the rest are just details. Nebraskans are suckers for thinking Osborne didn't start this search awhile ago. Give me a break.
Tryptophan withdrawals? Alcohol?

Osborne's ego? Frank I've been around quite a while, can't agree with that statement. He has no agenda other than what is best for the program he loves.

Not saying Pelini isn't the guy. Like I said MANY believe it's a done deal, I've heard it all of 2 to 3 weeks now as well. Have told co-worker the same.
Osborne flew to Baton Rouge late this afternoon and now is in Altanta. We all know the same stuff on the surface, but I believe Osborne and if he is taking the approach he claims we are best served in that respect.

He's going to interview Gill, may well be to put his name out for others to consider (SMU.)

He'd be wise to visit with Richt if he shows interest as well as Grobe, Johnson, or Kelly. I would.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Tryptophan withdrawals? Alcohol?

Cute.

Osborne's ego? Frank I've been around quite a while, can't agree with that statement. He has no agenda other than what is best for the program he loves.

Not saying Pelini isn't the guy. Like I said MANY believe it's a done deal, I've heard it all of 2 to 3 weeks now as well. Have told co-worker the same.
Osborne flew to Baton Rouge late this afternoon and now is in Altanta. We all know the same stuff on the surface, but I believe Osborne and if he is taking the approach he claims we are best served in that respect.

He's going to interview Gill, may well be to put his name out for others to consider (SMU.)

He'd be wise to visit with Richt if he shows interest as well as Grobe, Johnson, or Kelly. I would.[/quote]

He is going to speak with Gill to get his name out there for other jobs but has already told Turner that he is not going to be the head coach. He is not going to interview Grobe, that is a joke people are playing on Huskers Illustrated staff like Callahan and other to make them look like asses and I take it they bite on it, but you can forget about Johnson or Kelly. Osborne wants to put a salary of of 1 to 1.3 million with a top salary of 1.5. Not exactly incentive for a big name coach to come here.

Oh and if you don't think Osborne has an ego then you got the blinders on. I could tell you some great stories. Osborne was a legend as a coach but I'm not sure he was the best man for hiring a head coach. He failed with Frank and also back the SP hiring. I know he told VT to hire Frank Beamer and even mentioned to Bill Byrne that if for some reason that Frank didn't want the Nebraska job to go and interview a guy named Jim Tressel.

You will have your new coach hired by Wednesday and will be released to the public by Monday of the next week.
In fact here are a few quotes from inside UNL.

"Just got word that a decision could be finalized as soon as 11 AM tomorrow.

They have set a goal of having the decision made by tomorrow morning. And it looks like TO finally broke! BP will have his choice at assistants and it looks good for Peveto...and others from what I hear"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:He is going to speak with Gill to get his name out there for other jobs but has already told Turner that he is not going to be the head coach. He is going to interview Grobe but you can forget about Johnson or Kelly. Osborne wants to put a salary of of 1 to 1.3 million with a top salary of 1.5. Not exactly incentive for a big name coach to come here.
I really don't consider them BIG names quite yet, but yeah, I know Osborne will squeeze the billfold.
I'd think either would listen even for that dough, although I know Johnson pulls down pretty good scratch at Navy. And perks with gear sales and bowl incentives would sweeten the pot pretty well at UNL.

I just like the idea of a young guy that's proven himself as a headcoach. Bo's got upside, but I'm not sure I want the keys in his hands.

But like I said, if he doesn't get the job, I'd think it's an upset from all I've been lead to believe.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Cornhusker wrote:He's going to interview Gill, may well be to put his name out for others to consider (SMU.)
If Nebraska doesn't want Gill, Syracuse would have to be some kind of stupid to pass him up.

Robinson isn't getting the job done there, and at this point, even the most sunny-eyed optimist has no reason to think he ever will. Gill would only have to move about 150 miles or so to the east, so it's a region he already should know fairly well. Syracuse should have an advantage over SMU, in that Syracuse at least plays in a BCS conference.

And although he won't get it, Gill probably deserves serious consideration for COY honors. Four wins in a season might not sound like much, but he got it at friggin' Buffalo, for Chrissakes. Wasn't all that long ago that a Buffalo football player had a very good chance of not seeing four wins in his entire career.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

IMO trying to bargain shop is stupid. Get the best coach that will come for their fair market value.

Bo has been rumored for weeks now, I guess we'll find out if the rumor-mongers actually had some inside info.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Gill would only have to move about 150 miles or so to the east, so it's a region he already should know fairly well. Syracuse should have an advantage over SMU, in that Syracuse at least plays in a BCS conference.
True that, however he is from Ft. Worth Texas, so I assume that would be an issue. Plus his wife's family is in Nebraska, considerably closer.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

IMO Gill would be a very good candidate for one of the lesser BCS-jobs. Buffalo was a trainwreck when he took-over now they managed a winning-record in the MAC. A Syracuse would be wise to give him a look.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Don't know, but Callahan has already been contacted about returning to the NFL as an Offensive Coordinator... allegedly
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cuda wrote:
Don't know, but Callahan has already been contacted about returning to the NFL as an Offensive Coordinator... allegedly
Funny....wasn't it John Gruden running Oakland's offense????

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Danimal wrote:IMO Gill would be a very good candidate for one of the lesser BCS-jobs. Buffalo was a trainwreck when he took-over now they managed a winning-record in the MAC. A Syracuse would be wise to give him a look.
Firing Robinson and hiring Turner Gill would go a long way towards restoring that program's credibility. While they're at it they can fire Gross as well. Of course they'll probably keep both of them, consigning SU to yet another year of failure.

:x
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown