A&M looking to buy out Fran

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

A&M looking to buy out Fran

Post by indyfrisco »

Didn't expect this until season's end but oh well. Might as well throw our name in the center of the ring early.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710
Source says Texas A&M, Franchione discussing settlement
ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 5, 2007, 2:29 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Dennis Franchione's days as the head coach at Texas A&M appear to be numbered.

Texas A&M is talking about buying out Franchione's contract, sources have told ESPN college football analyst Andre Ware.

Franchione has been in hot water with the university for a newsletter he was sending out to donors willing to pay $1,200 for inside information. In mid-October, Texas A&M officials admonished Franchione for his secretive, for-pay newsletter and said the embarrassing episode would be a factor in deciding whether he returns next season.

The school said it would report the results of an internal investigation to the NCAA because of possible rules violations, and Franchione was ordered to shut down his Web site, CoachFran.com. He also will receive a "letter of admonishment."

"The Aggies are embarrassed right now," athletic director Bob Byrne said in October. "This has been a very unfortunate incident we do not want to experience again."

Franchione, who came to Texas A&M from Alabama in 2003. He's 31-27 overall with the Aggies. He also coached at TCU and New Mexico.

Texas A&M is reportedly researching whether Franchione violated his contract with the income he received from the newsletter. If he is found in violation of the contract, the Aggies may not have to pay the coach anything upon firing him.

Franchione's contract pays him $2 million per season and runs through 2012. A buyout will be $141,667 per month for the remainder of the contract, or about $8 million. Ware reported Monday that Texas A&M is looking for a buyout in the $2 million range.

Ware reported that Texas A&M wants to talk to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville for a potential vacancy. He reported that the school is working with Chuck Neinas, who runs a consulting firm specializing in hiring coaches.

Texas A&M is 6-4 this season heading into a game at Missouri on Saturday.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Anything is possible.

The tigers already tried to get rid of Tommy T once.

Maybe Tommy T will return the favor
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I think Tuberville will be the next coach. When asked about it, Tuberville said he wasn't going to spend the next two weeks talking about it. This as opposed to a denial. At the very least, he's in talks with us or has plans to. Doubt he is just lobbying Auburn for a raise.

This is funny. Went to texfags.com.

Forums :: A&M Football :: 13,251 Visitors on TexAgs @ 3:00PM CT
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Jsc810 wrote:Hmmmm, would Tommy T leave Auburn for TAM?

I don't think so.
I didn't think so either. Its like Fran knew he was a farce when he was at Alabama, saw a shot for more money at A&M and ran. I was kind of surprised A&M had the pull to woo someone from Alabama. I don't know if that will happen again.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

First, taking Bamas coach
Second, taking Auburns coach

HAHA...I would have to rack the Ags if it happen. The only down side would be hearing bama fans run their mouth but that happens anyway.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i hear he's going to finish out the season. (please lord, its nice seeing Fran on other side)

Do ya really want Tubberville? Is he going to get the 5 star kids OU and Tejas are hoarding? I doubt it, you need someone with Ties to area and someone with a pedigree, wether its short or still building. Want PInkel?

Why Pinkel?

Recruits Tejas well, finds the diamonds in the rough yearly out of tejas.
Taken MU to its first shot at a BCS bowl
Would bring the Spread and some Excitement to that offense
He would look great in crimson and white
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

why the hell would Tuberville wanna leave AU for the ATM?
that's not even a lateral move is it?
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Mr T wrote:Anything is possible.

The tigers already tried to get rid of Tommy T once.

Maybe Tommy T will return the favor
Bingo, you can't tell me that hasn't stuck in Tuberville's craw. He remembers how they basically tried to hire Petrino behind his back. I'm thinking that killed a significant amount of loyalty to Auburn.

Besides, with Muschamp in the bullpen and likely to bolt for a HC-job elsewhere if Tuberville stays I don't know if Auburn will put up a big fight to keep Tommy.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Not only that but David Housel is fucking retarded.

Similar to Bama, trying to run the football program like a NFL team.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Well Fran is out! Thoughts A&M fans? Who will Dollar Bill go after?
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

This is Frantastic news. I guess you will root for Texas this year to win, Indy? I swear his upset last year saved his ass.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Mr T wrote:Not only that but David Housel is fucking retarded.

Trying to run your team like an NFL one is brilliant.

Signed,
Bill Callahan
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Mr T wrote:Not only that but David Housel is fucking retarded.

Umm, Housel retired years ago.

BTW Tubby just moved into a niiiice crib and he wants his kids to stay in the Auburn school system.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I think Tuberville would leave Auburn for multiple reasons.

One, which has been pointed out already, is the Petrino incident. He got kicked in the nuts before and knows a slightly sub-par year it can happen again. He can got to A&M and get PAID and have 5 sub-par years before getting canned (see exhibit 1: Fran).

Two, Saban has stolen a LOT of his thunder in his own state. Saban is a hell of a coach and a hell of a recruiter. He has already made the Tide king ding-a-ling in Bama.

Three, the plethora of other great coaches in the conference is a LOT to compete against. Meyer is getting his pick of the litter. Miles the same.

The only thing I think that would make A&M hesitate is the buyout of both Fran and Tuberville. A&M owes Fran 8 million. Initial talks offered 1.9 million. However, if Fran was found to be in breach with NewsletterGate, then he may get nothing. In that case, the 6 mil buyout for Tuberville may be stomachable for the Aggie brass.

As for me? I could care less who we bring is as long as we begin winning. Competeing with t.u. and OU will always be an obstacle. However, we pull in better recruits than taco tceh yet they consistently beat us. So, while recruiting is very important, it isn't the only thing.

As for the t.u. game, Harv, I'm hoping the Ags come out and win one for the lame duck. I do think Fran cares about A&M. I think it bothers him badly that he has failed. It does not excuse him though. I wish him well in the future and harbor no ill will towards him. He's just not the right fit for us. To be honest, I was a bit jealous seeing Mack go ape shit in that video posted. Fran's conssitent poker face on the sideline just made me sick.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Jsc810 wrote:Hmmmm, would Tommy T leave Auburn for TAM?

I don't think so.
I do... aTm is a much better, wealthier, and more prestegious aggie school than Allbarn.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.