Something has clicked

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Something has clicked

Post by PSUFAN »

So at long last, I've come to a realization. I'm still a PSU fan - as much as I have been ever. I used to be a Joe Paterno fan, sure, I had my criticisms, but I always liked and respected and felt led by Joe.

This year, I've really stopped being a Paterno fan. Either the man has changed, or he is less able to gussy himself up because of advancing age.

I think the thing that really has accomplished this is the inclination on Joe's part to shift the blame for losses from himself onto parties that do not deserve it. For example, yesterday Joe sourced officiating as the reason (and not for the first time) why he lost to Michigan a few weeks ago. Time was, Joe would never shift the blame, he'd accept the blame. He'd never be whining about officiating, he'd say "we got licked by a better team" or something similar.

In short, I believe Joe's focus has shifted from what is good for the program to what is good for him, and by extension, his staff.

PSU is a program that enjoys a lot of advantages. I think talent is to be found on the roster. Facilities, fanbase, etc. - all good stuff for PSU. These advantages don't seem to matter much any longer.

It's natural to root for programs like USF and Rutgers - teams that are playing an exciting brand of football, and who do not enjoy tremendous advantages overall. They are scrapping, and doing what it takes to be successful. PSU under Joe at the end of his career - lumbering toward mediocrity.

The closer we come to the end of Joe's career, the more reluctant he seems to relinquish his hold of the reins. I guess there's nothing new about that realization...but it has become so glaring that I have finally lost respect for Joe, and I'm no longer a fan of the man as a coach. My current hope is that the PSU President Graham Spanier chooses not to tender a contract extension...which would make the 2008 season his last.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

As a FSU fan I feel the same way about Bobby. I respect him as a man but he is no longer a "Coach." I think one reason why FSU has been out coached the past 6 years is due in part to FSU having one coach less in meetings and on the field each week. Bobby put FSU on the map but I would hope after his contract is up in '08 that he retires.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

The game has passed JoePa by, but I'm glad I get to see a coaching legend Saturday when they play IU. My grandpa has told me stories of how he got to see Bear Bryant coach and I will get to tell my grandkids I got to see JoePa. Even better, I'm taking my 2 year old son to the game so he can tell his kids and grandkids he saw JoePa in action as well.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Re: Something has clicked

Post by battery chucka' one »

PSUFAN wrote:PSU President Graham Spanier
:lol: Sorry. I remember this clown from when he was at NU. I wonder if he's doing the same 'bang up' job at PSU. Was worthy of a laugh or two when I read it. Carry on, my wayward son. :lol:
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

What are your specific criticisms of Spanier? I'd be interested in hearing them, if they are anything more than nebulous momentary impressions.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Since they were the coaches that brought their programs to prominence I think Bowden and Joe think of the programs as theirs' and they will coach their program as long as they want.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:I guess someone else will be coaching the Lions when we play y'all in a couple years.
I’m sure Alabama will back out of that contract once Central Alabama Community College has an opening on their schedule.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Joab Thomas
Now there's a former PSU Prez that, granted, is a mutton-head.

The transition from Paterno is inevitable, something that a lot of PSU fans are unwilling to come to terms with. I always had faith that Joe would be handy with the transition, but I am fearing that he's lost perspective on that.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

It used to be a big net-rumor that Bill Cowher wanted the PSU-job, think there is any truth to that?
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I don't think any candidate is less likely, actually.

Bill doesn't have much regard for PA living - he loves the Carolinas. He is also hard to picture on the recruiting trail. Also, by and large he will get more money as an NFL coach, and money was one of his stated reasons for wanting to leave the Steelers.