El Taco, Linux and Thermal Questions

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

El Taco, Linux and Thermal Questions

Post by atomicdad »

Here is my setup: Dell Inspirion 1520 2 duo core T7300, Nvidia 8600GT running Ubuntu Fiesty 64 bit version.

I'm running some model generation code that was compiled on a 64bit mandriva desktop system. I have the ksensor package running that indicates i'm running at 76-81 C during 100% processor usage. The intel site indicates the chip can get up to 100 C. How safe am I from meltdown?
If I was to run a 6 hour job that runs at these temps will I kill my new laptop?

Note: I couldn't find this info on the Dell site, and obviously I don't want to go on record at Dell with my tag # that I was concerned about burning up my machine for warranty reasons.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Well on average the usual CPUs I see tend to run a little less hot (like around 30 to 40 C) but If you are not seeing any problems or weird errors, you are probably all right. Make sure its the core CPU temp sensor and not one of the board sensors. If its the CPU one you are good. If its a board sensor then the whole environment is over heating and thats bad. You can watch for odd errors on the system or crashes/reboots, but its not guaranteed that a reboot will happen before the cpu is damaged. Most systems these days will cut back the processor power before the cpu over heats though so you should probably be fine.

Laptops tend to be harder to cool so they don't necessarily work that well for hard core applications but you can always throw a fan on it. There are some laptops that have been built with a water cooling system included (water flows past the back cover to cool down and then back around to the CPU). Supposedly its the future but I doubt it. You can always put a fan or two on it to cool it if you are worried. Back in the day when AMD would have problems cooling their systems, we would occasionally stick large fans and shoot them at the front of the machines to increase air flow and improve the temp. They were desktops/workstations but the concept can work for a laptop as well. Also make sure the bottom slots that help the airflow are not covered.

Incidentally if I'm wrong, make sure you still have warranty.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

I ordered one of those laptop cooling pads that has the USB powered fans to blow air into the bottom. I'll see how it works. Otherwise I should probably read the fine print on the warranty as it concerns melting down the machine. I'm not screwing around with overclocking or anything so I shouldn't be voiding anything from that standpoint.