Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Vick=DONE

Post by Neely8 »

Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 20, 2007, 2:36 PM ET
RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday and likely lengthy prison sentence to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case that has driven his NFL career to a halt.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Vick attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

The terms of Vick's sentence are not yet known.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

Vick's last two co-defendants pleaded guilty Friday and said he bankrolled gambling on dogfights at the quarterback's property in rural Surry County, not far from his hometown of Newport News. One said Vick helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. Tony Taylor of Hampton struck a similar deal last month.

The gambling allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The NFL has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation.

Peace, Phillips and Taylor pleaded guilty to the same charges facing Vick: conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Their sentencings are set for November and December.

Banned for life?? See ya later you overrated hack....
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

18-36 month prison sentence? What's that in dog years?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Wonder how the Ron Mexico persona will play upstate?
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Cueball wrote:Wonder how the Ron Mexico persona will play upstate?
I'm guessing that a guy who's got herpes gets pretty much left alone when it comes to prison rape.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

OCmike wrote:
Cueball wrote:Wonder how the Ron Mexico persona will play upstate?
I'm guessing that a guy who's got herpes gets pretty much left alone when it comes to prison rape.
I don't think that would be much of an impediment for a guy with AIDS.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I seriously doubt that he'd be imprisoned with the general population.

As part of his plea bargain, he'll have his own private cell with Direct TV, high speed internet, and room service.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

'BODE

Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

War Wagon wrote:I seriously doubt that he'd be imprisoned with the general population.

As part of his plea bargain, he'll have his own private cell with Direct TV, high speed internet, and room service.
Vick, don't put too many onions in the sauce.

/s/

Pauly
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Rack Goodfellas !
Go Bucs, Gators
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

POS
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
I don't think that would be much of an impediment for a guy with AIDS.
What's the hardest thing about having AIDS?

Convincing your parents you're Haitian.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

That's not the point, Todd.

Besides not being able to play football, he'll have his freedom taken away.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

"Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter."

Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Toddowen wrote:I'm just pointing out that he won't be a marked inmate.

And he'll play again. He'll serve until next May, make a public apology, and then pick things right back up.

I don't like it anymore than any of you. But this is what his legal counsel finally convinced him to do....the intelligent move.

FUCK 'em if they don't like me. FUCK 'em if the crowd starts barking every time I call a snap. FUCK the Humane Society, PETA, ASPCA, and any other humanitarian organization that tries to hound me {:twisted:} every place I go.

I'm back, rehabilitated, and there's not a thing you clowns can do about it anymore but pay me my multi-million a year salary.
They are filiming The Lomgest Yard 3? Going to be tough trying to cast Chris Rock in this one seeing he was iced in the last one. I guess Chris Tucker found his next gig without Jackie Chan's help this time.

BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

So wrong... (New T shirt)
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

mvscal wrote:Image
So we can't dance wif yo dates?
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

You know that you're a piece of shit if you make your brother Marcus look good!! Nice parenting.....they must get together with Iverson's Mom
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:Image
Freakin' hilarious.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

From Lester Munson at espn.com:
On Monday afternoon, NFL star Michael Vick agreed to admit his guilt in a dogfighting and gambling scheme. Billy Martin, Vick's lead attorney, announced Vick's decision as a federal grand jury in Richmond, Va., was preparing additional charges against the Atlanta Falcons' quarterback. Vick's admission of guilt, as well as the timing of it, raises questions. Here are some answers:

Why did Michael Vick enter into an agreement to plead guilty?

In strictly legal terms, this is an agreement by Vick. In the bigger picture, it's a surrender. Vick is admitting his guilt because he and his legal team realized that there is no escape from the charges related to the federal dogfighting case. They wanted to negotiate with federal prosecutors, and they wanted to negotiate with the NFL. Instead of a negotiation from the prosecutors, Vick and his lawyers kept receiving bad news from them. That trend would have continued with additional charges being filed if Vick's legal team had not given up the fight on Monday afternoon. Instead of a negotiation with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about the manner in which the league intended to punish Vick, Vick and his legal team received a cold shoulder. When they could not negotiate, they had no alternative. They had to surrender.

If the federal case against Vick is so overwhelming, why would the federal prosecutors agree to accept Vick's plea of guilty?

The job of a federal prosecutor is to seek justice, not to seek revenge or punishment. Whenever an accused individual is willing to admit guilt and accept the consequences, federal prosecutors are interested. A guilty plea brings the case to a final conclusion. It saves hundreds of thousands of dollars in trial preparation, and it avoids any chance something could go wrong in the trial that would allow a guilty defendant to go free. In the dogfighting case, it was important to the prosecution team that Vick admit he was doing wrong. It is a major step forward in a national effort to eliminate dogfighting.

Vick will appear in court again on Aug. 27. What should we watch for?

Vick and the government prosecutors will file papers that give the details of Vick's admissions. The factual details in those papers will be critical. Will Vick admit that in March 2003, he helped Quanis Phillips, one of his co-defendants, hose down a losing dog and then electrocute it? Will he admit that he helped execute eight more dogs in 2004 and 2005, some by hanging, some by drowning and one by slamming it on the ground until it was dead? Will he admit that it was his money that was used in the purses and the side bets in the dogfights described by his cohorts? If he admits a personal role in the execution of dogs and a lead role in the gambling enterprise, he might never return to the NFL. Goodell and NFL officials will scrutinize these papers as they decide what should be done with Vick.
In addition to the details disclosed in the paperwork, watch next Monday for Judge Henry Hudson to set a date for Vick's sentencing. In most federal courthouses, the sentencing comes at least several months after the guilty plea; but in the "rocket docket" procedures that prevail in Richmond, the sentencing will probably come more quickly, perhaps as early as October. Judge Hudson must also determine whether to sentence Vick's co-defendants before he sentences Vick. Tony Taylor, the first of Vick's cohorts to plead guilty and agree to testify against Vick, was to be sentenced on Dec. 14, after he testified at Vick's trial (which had been set for late November). That scheduling was an obvious incentive for Taylor to testify effectively against Vick. But now, with Vick's admission of guilt and the trial off the docket, Judge Hudson may move the date of Taylor's sentencing up, and sentence all three of Vick's co-defendants, including Quanis Phillips and Purnell Peace, before he sentences Vick. All three will be entitled to consideration for leniency because they admitted their guilt and promised to help the federal prosecutors in their case against Vick.

How much time will Vick spend in jail?

Previous reports indicate that the government wanted Vick to spend between 18 and 36 months in a federal penitentiary. Other reports say it could be between 12 and 18. Before the judge issues a sentence, Vick must submit to an investigation by federal probation authorities. Probation officers will investigate his life in painstaking detail, including the dogfighting enterprise. These pre-sentence reports are kept secret and submitted only to the sentencing judge. The report will include a recommendation on a sentence. Judge Henry Hudson will consider the report's conclusions as he sentences Vick. Hudson has been tough when it comes to sentences. He uses the word "maximum" more often than he uses the words "minimum" or "probation." If Vick cannot convince Hudson that he can be a good citizen, Vick will be doing 24 months or more.

Why did Vick wait until Monday to admit his guilt?

This investigation is not even three months old. It has progressed with incredible speed. The first raid on Vick's 15-acre compound came on April 25. Agents of the U.S. Department of Agriculture quickly entered the investigation and took it over. They have quickly put together an extraordinary amount of high-quality evidence. Until the raid, Vick was living a life of celebrity and success. It must have been very difficult for him to make the adjustments necessary to realize he was in serious trouble and on his way to jail. Not long ago, he was telling Goodell personally that he was not guilty of anything. Today, he surrenders. So his plea of guilty is not late. In fact, it comes earlier than anyone could have imagined.

Are there any winners in this terrible story?

Yes. The winners are the investigating agents, the federal prosecutors and the humane societies. I have never seen an investigation in the sports industry that was done so quickly and so professionally. The only possible comparison is to the virtuoso work of Greg Garrison, the Indianapolis attorney who prepared and tried the rape case against former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, which led to Tyson's conviction and three years in prison. In most cases against celebrity athletes, the athlete has most of the advantages: better investigators, better lawyers and more money. Vick had the money and the lawyers, but he never caught up with the investigators and prosecutors in Virginia.

The local prosecutor in Surry County, Va., where Vick built his dogfighting compound, says he will now take action against Vick. What can he do to Vick that the federal authorities haven't already done?

Gerald Poindexter, the local prosecutor, can huff and puff and seek attention, but that's about it. Vick need not worry much about Poindexter. The federal authorities have the seven witnesses, the financial records, the e-mails and all the other evidence. Poindexter can charge Vick with dogfighting under a Virginia law that makes it a felony, but any punishment the player might serve on that charge would be done at the same time Vick is serving his federal sentence. Poindexter appears to be a bit embarrassed that the feds took over an investigation that he had started, and so whatever action he ultimately takes might be motivated, at least in part, by a desire to save face.
It sounds to me like the Federal prosecutors were game-planning Michael Vick. It’s the fucking pre-season. That shit’s just not right.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

NAACP puts foot in mouth again.

By ERRIN HAINES, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

ATLANTA - An NAACP leader said Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the group's Atlanta chapter. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."

White said the Falcons quarterback made a mistake and should be allowed to prove he has learned from that mistake.

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided nearly all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges.

Last month, state and local leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People urged the public not to rush to judgment in the Vick case. The civil rights organization said animal rights groups, talk radio and the news media were vilifying the embattled athlete, and that his team and corporate sponsors were prematurely punishing Vick.

White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's co-defendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth.

"At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence," White said, referring to the possible harsher sentence Vick could have received had he taken his case to trial and been found guilty. "You're thinking, 'What I better do is cut my losses and take a plea.' But if he saw this as the best thing to do at this point for his future, then I think he made the correct choice."

White said he regretted that the plea deal will mean all the facts of the case might never be known.

"Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

White said he does not support dogfighting and that he considers it as bad as hunting.

"His crime is, it was a dog," White said.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Fuck the NAACP!!

I am black and I said it. If I did the same shit, do you think they would do this for me? Fuck no and probably tell me to go fuck myself and hope I enjoy doing it.

Money grabbing bitches are mad that their gravy train is going to jail.

I hope Vick gets two years or more. All the money in the world and you want to do some stupid shit like this? Whatever they give you is not enough for the stupidity he displayed.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

NAACP wrote:"At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence."
I see. Vick said he did it, but the "jury's out" as to whether or not we should believe him.

What about the rights of the other Nogs who accepted pleas. Should we question their future earning potential? Should we stand up and ensure they are accepted back into the community with open arms?

You're absolutely looking at guilt or innocence. If you didn't do it, go to trial. Even if you did do it, hire the best defense money can buy and go to trial. Right, OJ?

I can't believe the bullshit that I am seeing and hearing. The dude said he did it. He did it. End of fucking story.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

The only things they know how to do is spawn illegitimate children and fuck up and get sent to prison.

Tis a shame.

I can't refute what you say and they call me an Uncle Tom? Whatever, get a job, take care of your kids and do something with your life is what I say in response to these idiots. I am ashamed of anyone who defends this piece of shit, seriously. I wish I had 130 mil in the bank. Do you honestly think I would do something to jeopardize a quality of life that very few could afford? No fucking way. I hope he is penniless by the time he gets out with an ass wide enough that Dirk Diggler would enjoy.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Cross Traffic wrote:NAACP puts foot in mouth again.

By ERRIN HAINES, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

ATLANTA - An NAACP leader said abunch of garbage.
NAACP needs to go. There isnt a purpose anymore.

If they were for the advancement of colored people, they wouldnt be backing vick.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ill/070821

I do not know how to linky. Been away from the board a long time.

I must say, rack the hell out of her. She is spot on about this situation.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

nice Link Arch

Rack
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

It's nice to see that such a fine, upstanding citizen as Stephon Marbury has come out to defend Vick in specific and dogfighting in general.

Marbury's likening of dogfighting to deerhunting was just brilliant.

When one needs an intellectual powerhouse or paragon of moral authority, definitely go to an NBA player.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Mr T wrote:NAACP needs to go. There isnt a purpose anymore.

If they were for the advancement of colored people, they wouldnt be backing vick.
A hearty RACK for Mr T!
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

Arch Angel wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ill/070821

I do not know how to linky. Been away from the board a long time.

I must say, rack the hell out of her. She is spot on about this situation.
she could have said it in a lot less words:

you can take the brotha out the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out the brotha.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

mvscal wrote:They're congential fuck ups who invariably sink straight to the bottom of any society they infest.
Thought this was an appropriate time/place to bring back this blast.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Yeah, e.

Because burying the n-word worked so well.

I like the way you think.

Words make people who they are, not their actions.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

e wrote: words don't make you who you are, but they tell other people a lot about you
So if the words were changed, it would help how people view them.

I like the way you think.

How about we change it to African-Americans? Yeah...Yeah...thats the ticket.

*Alakazaam*

Crime now has ended in the ghettos. Thanks e for your contribution to society
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:I'm sure he'll get along just fine in prison. It will be just like going home for him.
This is incredibly mean and hurtful.

RACK it.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

RadioFan wrote:

Im glad Ren made the jury......