Spursfans...

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Spursfans...

Post by Dinsdale »

Props on landing Ime Udoka.

It may not seem like a big deal now... but just you wait. You're going to love my Homey.

No one has ever questioned the drive and determination in the locker room or among the Spurs core group. That said -- the intensity level just went up a notch or two.

Comparisons kind of suck, but I'll make one -- picture Bruce Bowen, only... well, there is no "only." Pretty much the same guy. Ime will undoubtedly benefit from learning from "the guy (he) modelled (his) game after." Bowen will probably learn a thing or two, as well, if nothing more than a new intensity level.

I can only imaging the fear that will stike the hearts of opposing 2s and 3s should Pop ever put them on the floor together. That's a tandem worth paying to watch.

When Kobe dinged the Blazers for 65 last season, it was Ime gaurding him one-on-one most of the night. That's not a knock against Ime -- when 8/24 is having "one of those nights," I don't care who's gaurding him -- he's getting his. But did Ime whine to the coaches, officials(he should have), or jake an injury? HELL NO! Not his style. In the face of historic adversity, Ime just played him even tougher, and got in his face a little more. THAT'S the kind of player you just signed.

Again -- the FA signing might be a "oh, that's nice... Ime who?" right now, but trust me... you'll be erecting statues of the guy by playoff time. If Bowen wasn't so well established and accomplished, his starting job would be threatened shortly. Ime started every game for the Blazers that he was healthy for(near the end of the season, he got knocked out, and actually got up and dusted himself off, and tried to D someone up), and there was plenty of competition for that job last year in Lottery City. But that job went to the out-of-the-league walkon hometown boy. Do the math.

You're going to LOVE Ime. He'll be the first one to jump off the bench and cheer when his teammates do well, and he'll be the last one to bitch about minutes, or any other coaching decisions.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: Spursfans...

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dinsdale wrote:But did Ime whine to the coaches, officials(he should have)

I had the Lakers and the over that night. Sorry!

Sin,

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Thanks, Dins.

I'll pass along your comments to my Spurs breathren (mostly family).

Bowen is 36 now. Though he does take care of himself, physically, from all accounts that I've read and heard, I don't think he'll be a starter much more past another season or three.

I'll keep an eye on Mr. Udoka, as I'm sure most of SA will.

Btw, I'm more concerned about the long-term health of R.C. Buford and Popovich. Those guys built the current version of the franchise, starting with Bob Hill's firing in the mid-90s, which raised a lot of eyebrows and even some disdain, me included -- guilty. We all promptly shut the fuck up, starting in '99.

Given those guys and their knack for absolute nails on future talent, I have little doubt the kid has big potential.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:I have little doubt the kid has big potential.
Spursfan has much to learn about Ime...

He's no "kid."

If he's not 30 now, he will be soon. After finishing his college career at Portland State(who had resurrected their hoops program shortly before that, after a layoff. Ime led his high school team here in Portland to the state 4A(now 6A, since they were realigned) championship. Ime's a freaking stud in this town), he kicked around Europe and the D-League. Was the 12th man for a couple of NBA teams, and saw a few minutes over a few seasons. Around this time last year, he was unemployed, and tyook to hanging out, working out at the Blazers booyah practice facility(which is generally open to any pro-caliber player during the offseason). Apparently, some of the Blazer players, including Jarrett Jack, asked management "So, you ARE signing that guy, right?"

He's only got a handful of years left. But I'll tell you what -- he's the first name that comes to mind if I had to compare someone to matching Bowen's defensive intensity. Hell, Ime may even bring more intensity to the defensive side of the 3-spot(or he can play 2. Heck, he'll play center if the coach tells him to).

You'll dig Ime. He and Bowen are almost interchangable, although Ime doesn't have the reputation or resume that Bowen does.

I'm guessing Brandon ROY isn't thrilled with the idea of an Ime/Bowen tag-team on him all night. Last year, ROY mentioned what a nightmare playing against Bowen was... said dudes hands were down his shorts, clutching and grabbing every second of the game, and said he was the toughest defender at that position ever.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Radio I know this is off topic but as everyone here knows I grew up a Lakers fan but they are dead to me now ever since the Shaq/Kobe BS. Never had a pleasant experience (outside of the Mueseum of Tolerance but how do you call a trip to a Holocaust mueseum "pleasant") so after the fiasco I had to pull my own Lakerfan card from circulation. I tried to get into the Hornets but I knew early into last season that they would head back to Nawlins and die a slow miserable financial death.

Two 1/2 years in Austin gave me an affinity for the Spurs. 5 years with my ex she tried to convert me but never could quit pull me over. It took a U of Texass fan that I have become close friends with that I met while ill to bring me over completly to the Black and silver. We noow have a fledgling Spurs watch group that meets at local bars to catch as many games as possible.... Right before my second surgery on my back the group gave me a number Spurs and Sooners gifts that included a poster of the Spurs Dancers signed and Huge poster of the team that is signed by the entire team as well.

I have the team poster put put away and locked up with my 1961 Yankees team signed ball (handed down from my grandfather God rest his soul), my 1985 Royals team signed ball, autographed picture of George Brett, and platic OU replica helmet with Holieway, Keith Jackson, and Shepard's signatures.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you're going to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon, now would be an excellent time to climb aboard the Blazer Train.

Fear the Pinwheel.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dinsdale wrote:If you're going to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon, now would be an excellent time to climb aboard the Blazer Train.

Fear the Pinwheel.
Dins I spent nearly two decades arguing with my father between Celtics (his team) and Lakers. I was a true fan. Kareem was my basketball idol growing up. Things change as you get older. I've never lived in Los Angeles, don't have any real connections to the community, and really don't care much for LaLa land in general.

I really liked the way the OKC area supportted the Hornets even after it had become obvious they were returning to finacial exile in Nawlins (which it was long before Katrina hit).

I've been to at least 3x as many Spurs games as any other franchises games it was a natural conversion. Even RF can attest that I have posted more about the Spurs, even before I considered myself a Spurs "fan" than any other franchise on this board. I used to live in the SA area it was a natural progression in life. There will never be a local franchise in any sport for me to support here on the Emerald Coast and I travel to San Antonio as often as anywhere else short of Norman.

I don't have ANY connections to Portland and have always been indifferent to their squad.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.