What should your team do differently this year?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

What should your team do differently this year?

Post by PSUFAN »

I feel that PSU's offense has been mediocre to poor for most seasons in the Paterno Era. There have been notable exceptions - and long stretches where a talent disparity made offensive scheme unnecessary...but by and large, PSU's offensive braintrust has been...offensive. PSU's defense has been excellent over the years, though...but often not enough to win games alone.

In 2006, Anthony Morelli flashed some great talent, but he really revealed a lot of immaturity, which combined with some poor OL play and inept offensive scheming made his initial season sort of a dud. He finished strong against the Vols, though - he played the game with a chip on his shoulder, looking to show up his detractors.

This year, I think he has a chance to improve dramatically. He has the talent himself and among his teammates to do some great things. I am not expecting a great shift in how the braintrust schemes, rather I expect the difference to begin with Morelli. He has a very good and potentially great TE in Andrew Quarless, and he showed a preference for targeting him against Tennessee.

The addition of a quality TE should help AM open things up. When the QB is a legitimate threat to throw, then the LBs and the safeties can't sell out to the backfield, and the running game can get going.

PSU has the best collection of receiving talent they've ever had right now. If AM can get things going for the pass, the OL can solidify some and the running game will become a factor. If and when PSU fields an offense that can be described as "good", look out, because the defense is pretty much stacked.

I think the staff needs to understand and encourage the pass-first approach early in games and in the season overall, rather than trying to go hat-on-hat with the I formation.

Also...against cupcake opponents, PSU used to make the game a laugher with the first team, and then call off the dogs. In the years since 2000, we've seen a different approach...the staff shuffles the entire bench on and off the field, apparently using those games to make evaluations of the sort you expect from fall practice. In the second half, they bear down with the starters and set about winning the game. Essentially, I prefer the old approach, because it allows your first team to solidify, and then it allows you to empty the bench after that, and give the younger kids some development time. I doubt I'll see the approach shift back in that way, but I'd certainly like to see it happen.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dog
Elwood

Post by Dog »

Lose.

On second thought, nah, I'd rather have a second straight undefeated season.
Religious Warfare: Adults arguing over who has the best imaginary friend.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I'd like to see much better halftime adjustments. Our offense would kick ass during the pre-scripted plays then blow in the second half.

I'd like to see our db's be taught different technique. Playing with your back to the qb doesn't work if you have any size disadvantage plus you miss potential picks.

Better special teams, they used to be a Nebraska forte.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Place Dorrell's WCO in the trash compactor and let the Offense go. If Ben Olson realizes his
potential....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'll say it:

beat Texas with yet another first year starter at QB.

sell more crack.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

The Seer wrote:Place Dorrell's WCO in the trash compactor and let the Offense go. If Ben Olson realizes his
potential....
neither Neu or Dorrell ever seemed to live up to the "wide open" thing they spanked themselves about at CU.

the direct quote was in 96 when Neu said he and Karl had "the keys to the Ferrari". three years later CU was 5-7.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Have a running attack led by an RB. We were too reliant on Grothe's legs last season and he was injured a couple times on running plays. We should be set with the numbers of guys at RB this season, but they lack game experience outside of Williams. Ford and Samuels should get the majority of the carries, thus freeing up Grothe to focus more on passing. WIth that being said, I would like to see more running formations from the I.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Set up the deep ball with more power running between the tackles.

Recruit a decent QB.

Win a bowl game.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

establish the run, spread the defense, bring the RB's in to the passing game. with McKnight on the team this year hopefully the team can get back to screens and wheel routes, get the ball in to his hands in open field like they did when Reggie was at USC.
When/if Booty gets hurt, play Sanchez, leaving Booty in the pocket as an imobile target makes things too easy for the defense
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Run an offense.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:exercise a little institutional control

FTFY
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Get a running game and don't give up on it after the first quarter.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

1) Better clock management
2) Running a more balanced offense
3) More trapping and pulling from the O-Line and better overall O-Line play
4) Qb's managing the game and taking better care of the football
5) Have one RB carry the load instead of constant rotating of Backs.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Easy. Pass more. McGee was a passing QB in high school. He's healed up. A&M need to pass the ball. A DECENT passing game is all we need. Where we hurt is in the WR department. This is where I hope Martellus Bennet finally shines at TE, Antonio Gates-style. Our running game speaks for itself and SHOULD open up the passing game.

Also, BLITZ! Our 2 LB defense opens us up for a lot of underneath shit, but we have some great DE on the line. Send those, the LB and/or a CB and have the safeties cover the underneath.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:Easy. Pass more. McGee was a passing QB in high school. He's healed up. A&M need to pass the ball. A DECENT passing game is all we need. Where we hurt is in the WR department. This is where I hope Martellus Bennet finally shines at TE, Antonio Gates-style. Our running game speaks for itself and SHOULD open up the passing game.

Also, BLITZ! Our 2 LB defense opens us up for a lot of underneath shit, but we have some great DE on the line. Send those, the LB and/or a CB and have the safeties cover the underneath.
until McGee can beat someone on 3rd and long with his arm, you guys are a question mark. I thought Darnell was a weird hire by Fran. though, Torbush was terrible. i think you guys will be pretty good. OU has a sympathetic schedule getting ATM, MU, and OSU in Norman.

QB is obviously a ? for the Sooners. we've been down this road before, with average success. and minus Peterson. though i think, OU was a better team last year running between the tackles with Patrick and letting the flats open with Kelly and others to beat smaller dbs than running the end-wide tailback sweep AD offense (into the flats). that was the throw Thompson could make. and the fade.

anwser to question: use the TE more

Joe Jon Finley and Jermaine Gresham are a talented pair. second to Mizzou's Rucker and the other guy. Still not sold on Martellus Bennett. drops some balls, talks a lot. Rior Geer at CU is a good one too. though, i'm not sure what to make of Hawkins. he makes Rick Neuheisel look like Harry Truman. a lotta freak show stuff. his staff was clearly overmatched in the Big XII.
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

Dinsdale wrote:Set up the deep ball with more power running between the tackles.

Recruit a decent QB.

Win a bowl game.
I was gonna say try coming out in the third quarter and playing some tough football instead of getting blown out
Belotti has never been a good halftime adjustment coach
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Not suck.
"Keys, woman!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

This is primarily a "wait and see" year. Nobody's expecting great things out of MSU, what with a brand new head coach and a difficult schedule. Hopefully Dantonio can come in and establish a tough defensive mindset with his 4-3 schemes and his zone blitzes. Offensively, I'd like to see State get away from the more gimmicky offenses like the spread they've been accustomed to, and focus more on a smashmouth running game like Wisconsin. Watching Stanton and company was fun, but I'm tired of winning games 41-38.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Beat Michigan.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Live up to expectations and for Pinkel to grow a brain, but not necessarily in that order.

The first is doable but is contingent upon the 2nd, of which I'm not too sure.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:Live up to expectations and for Pinkel to grow a brain, but not necessarily in that order.

woah, really summed up its weaknesses and strengths

but that would be hard to do for someone who follows the team through the papers.

nothing about the defense? nothing about the line? nothing about the WR stepping up and Franklin having his breakout season? Nothing about Jeremy Maclin and his addition to kicking and wr core, gamebreaker everytime he touches the ball? Nothing about the Linebacker core having to step up and stop the run? Nothing about hood and williams anchoring the tackles and keeping the lineman off the linebackers? Nothing about stryker sulak having to prove he's ready to take over at End and getting pressure to take heat off the secondary and linebackers? Nothing about having the schedule to win the North and go to a top tier bowl? Nothing about poor offensive calling from occord?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

UofH needs to avoid giving up the big play. Losing our starting QB (Kolb), our #1 RB (Battle), and our #1 Receiver (Marshall) doesn't help either. I hope a .500 season is in the cards for my beloved Coogs. Hopefully Briles will run a lot and keep our defense off the field as much as possible cus' if tries to pass a lot with a frosh, then our defense will have their backs against the wall in bad field position.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

m200l,

Given your track record of chronic lying, trolling, and all-around dumbfuckery, it's likely this latest submission of yours is no more or less truthful. Although I will give you this - that girl is homely looking enough, that she isn't worth lying about having nailed. So I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Congrats on that, I guess. She's sure a far cry from the usual anti-razor, Colonial bed sheet-wearing maidens you're used to.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:She's sure a far cry from the usual anti-razor, Colonial bed sheet-wearing maidens you're used to.

Q: What's the difference between an M2 conquest and a hockey player?

A: The hockey player takes a shower after every 3 periods.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Live up to expectations and for Pinkel to grow a brain, but not necessarily in that order.

but that would be hard to do for someone who follows the team through the papers.
So how do you follow them adel? Are you on the sidelines and in the locker room sniffing jockstraps, or what?

I was giving a brief crib notes version, not trying to go all TigerTalk.com. Is that ok with you? Tough shit if it isn't. I'll defer to your vast knowledge of the program the next time someone wants to know who the starting and backup FS is.

Sheesh!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:

So how do you follow them adel? Are you on the sidelines and in the locker room sniffing jockstraps, or what?

I was giving a brief crib notes version, not trying to go all TigerTalk.com. Is that ok with you? Tough shit if it isn't. I'll defer to your vast knowledge of the program the next time someone wants to know who the starting and backup FS is.

Sheesh!
powermizzou, scout, trib, stltoday, tigerboard, etc.

i am a mizzou fan, i follow recruiting, spring practice, and the season. I have pegged their final record 2 straight years and basically everything i said or commented on last year came true. i know this team. I know this coaching staff, its actually sad that i know almost half the time whats coming and whats the reads. but hey, pinkel brings mediocrity and they love it :m2ool:

if MU doesnt go 9-3 stinkel should be fired, immediately.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Back on topic . . .

This is a transitional year of sorts for ND. Last season we had talented starters but not much depth, and many of the starters from last season are gone. Talent-wise, the strength of this team lies in its freshman and sophomore classes, so we're at least a year away. Expectations for this season are relatively low. No one expects a national championship this year, and only the most extremely optimistic see a BCS berth as anything other than a real longshot. Weis will get the benefit of the doubt this year, but ND's fanbase probably won't be quite so charitable in '08.

On offense, the line play needs to come together. The offensive line was, by far, the most disappointing unit last season. Toward that end, we need to develop our running game. With Walker gone, I'd like to see Weis and Haywood try the tailback-by-committee approach that was so successful during the Holtz era. We also need to anoint the next starting QB. I'd like to see Clausen get the job, because I think he has the best upside of the three still in the running.

On defense, we need to get much more aggressive than we have been the past two years. I'm willing to take a wait-and-see approach as to Brown on that, although I'm generally not a fan of the 3-4 defense, and I think that's generally a more passive scheme than the 4-3. We also need a serious talent upgrade in the secondary. I think I groaned audibly when I heard Zibby is coming back for a fifth season. I hope we have someone better than him to start, but I sort of doubt it.

Winning our bowl game would be nice as well. I'm of the mindset that considers every bowl game but one a glorified consolation game, but our bowl game losing streak has become a talking point for the national media (even though everyone associated with the '95 Fiesta Bowl loss to Colorado that started the streak is no longer involved with the program, except for Powlus, who is now the QB coach). Ending that streak would take away that talking point, and with ND likely headed to a second-tier bowl, there's definitely an opportunity to accomplish that this season.

And since it's getting so much attention on the ND homer boards, off the field we need to find a way to fix the scheduling issue. In fact, this year's schedule provides a pretty good illustration. Overall, the schedule is about where ND wants to be in terms of strength (some publications even have it rated the #1 schedule preseason, although I doubt it will end up that way. And truth be told, the #1 SOS is often indicative of a disappointing season for your team, our '03 season being a case in point.) However, the schedule is inverted, in that our four easiest games come at the end of the season, and if we somehow surprise this year, I have little doubt that the pundits will say that we had a weak SOS based on the final month of our schedule. Further complicating things in this regard is the impending arrival of the 7-4-1 format, which will only weaken our schedules going forward.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

m2, don't shit on threads in the CFB forum.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:UofH needs to avoid giving up the big play.

Houston fan?

Mark your calender for 9/01/07 -- you're going to give up anough big plays to last you a whole season.

That's going to be an ugly one -- lots of guys are going to be looking to run up their season stats at Houston's expense.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:Houston fan?

Mark your calender for 9/01/07 -- you're going to give up anough big plays to last you a whole season.

That's going to be an ugly one -- lots of guys are going to be looking to run up their season stats at Houston's expense.
I'm supposed to fly up for that game, but I think a scheduling conflict might keep me from going.. My uncle has season tickets and he is a Duck along with his son and his daughter. I like the Ducks for that reason. I always root for them when they play anyone else except for Texas.

Considering that is UofH's first game under a new QB and as hostile as Autzen Stadium can get, I just pray the Coogs don't lose by more than 4 touchdowns. Hopefully Briles won't get cute and will just use our speed and depth at RB to control the game as much as possible on the ofensive side of the ball. Lord knows we can't matchup with their receivers. Too much size and speed.

It won't be pretty, but I'll be watching.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i wouldn't be surprised for Briles to find a way to score some points. not win, maybe backdoor cover or something....
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

As Terry said, winning a bowl game would be a great start. Other than that, don't get blown out. Establish the run, find a running back that doesn't Franco it near the side lines, have an attacking defense, don't give up the big play, neuter the AD, have a QB that won't lose games, continue to develop depth everywhere.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Wazzu: Lots to do differently.

Get up for ever game. Don't play to the competition. Were competitive at Auburn until late, took USC to the wire, beat UO, won at Or State and UCLA . . . lost at home to Arizona and UW, blown out at ASU.

Better special teams. They were worse in this department last year than they have been in quite a while.

Win all home games (schedule makes this possible), win in November, beat UW. Those unforgiveable home losses in November (UA and UW) pissed away the season.

Get to a bowl. Program should be coming off 6 straight bowl appearences, or at least 5 of last 6. Instead coming off 3 straight no-shows.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:As Terry said, winning a bowl game would be a great start.
when the irish stop being invited to bowl games they have no business playing in, then they'll have a realistic chance of winning a bowl game.

but of course, you'll never hear charlie say "we don't deserve to be in the sugar bowl, we deserve to be in the gator bowl." as you wish, sir.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Screw-Michigan does have a point, if ND didn't get their ass kissed they'd be in more winnable bowls

This will be an interesting year for ND, expectations aren't high but they still need to start playing some D. We'll see how Corwin Brown works as DC, at least he couldn't really do worse. I'm not really up on ND enough to know if they have the right guys to make the 3-4 work right now or not.

The sched is very stupidly arranged, a bunch of tough games followed by some creampuffs together at the end? Why? Their AD should be kicked in the sack for not interspersing the easier opponents throughout the season. That alone will cost ND a win, you can't bring your A-game that many weeks in a row.

My guess is ND goes 8-4, gaining valuable experience for a return to prominence in 08.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Danimal wrote:Screw-Michigan does have a point, if ND didn't get their ass kissed they'd be in more winnable bowls
The current system, with two additional at-large BCS teams, and which retained the old rule proscribing more than one at-large team from any conference, all but guarantees ND an at-large BCS bid with a Top 14 final ranking. Last year, the final BCS bid came down to either ND or West Virginia. You could argue that ND didn't deserve a BCS bid, but the BCS was going to take someone, and given what most people in here were saying about the Big East last year, I don't think most could argue with a straight face that West Virginia deserved that bid over ND.
The sched is very stupidly arranged, a bunch of tough games followed by some creampuffs together at the end? Why?
To be perfectly fair, the four creampuffs together at the end include two regulars on ND's schedule (Navy and Stanford). And those teams are in or near their usual spot on the schedule. Navy usually plays ND in late October/early November. And Stanford is essentially USC's "opposite number" on ND's schedule, playing ND on the road in mid-October and at home on Thanksgiving weekend, in opposite years from USC.

Also in fairness, the Big Ten handcuffs ND in their scheduling somewhat by insisting that ND play Big Ten opponents in September.

All of that having been said, ND probably should be looking at moving Navy to a different time period on the schedule. There's no reason why Navy couldn't be the opening game in at least some years. Alternatively, they could move Navy to the early/mid-October slot currently occupied by BC, and move BC into late October/early November. Also, Air Force is no longer a regular opponent, and Duke never has been. The one schedule swap that jumps out at you is a swap of spots on the schedule between Duke and Georgia Tech, given that they play in the same conference. Duke is a perfect fit for an opening-week opponent. And while Georgia Tech probably doesn't want to come to ND in mid-November, I don't think they want to play ND in the first week of the season either.
Their AD should be kicked in the sack for not interspersing the easier opponents throughout the season.
You're preaching to the choir here.
That alone will cost ND a win, you can't bring your A-game that many weeks in a row.
Probably right.
My guess is ND goes 8-4, gaining valuable experience for a return to prominence in 08.
That's where I have us as well.
Rack.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.