I'm Back

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

I'm Back

Post by SunCoastSooner »

By popular... or unpopular demand, depending on how you look at it. :D Sorry I just hadn't had a enough time to really keep up with the overall collegiate baseball world this season between my health, multiple surgeries, work, poker, and personal crusade to see Jack Spates' head delivered in a hand basket by Joe Castiglione. Sorry ut as much as I love baseball and OU it takes a back seat, in my eyes, to the Sooner Wrestling program (fire away).

I am very disappointed in the direction of the Oklahoma baseball team for a number of reasons. First off I think that Corral is an very gifted pitching coach on the professional level but that his philosophy just does not fit the college game on the mound. His pitch for contact theory while may be effective at the pro level just doesn't work as often on the diamond at the collegiate level. The saddest part about it is that pitching has been the strong suit of the Sooners this season. :( Oklahoma's bullpen saw way too may innings early in the season and in mid week games to make it down the stretch. They have also been given very little run support but I'll get to that. Oklahoma's starting staff has rarely ade it more than four innings in a game this season and have been lit up like Crhristmas trees too early too often.

Golloway assured the Sooner faitful that when he came in he would make it a point to start weening away from the Cali JUCO and high school ranks and bring more local talent; something he has yet to do. Golloway promised the world to and brought in a very high prospect who gave up a $600,000 MLB signing bonus with 5th round money to get to campus. After promising tis kid the world Golloway and the fans acted shocked when he turned out to be a prima donna whose skills at the plate had been grossly overestimated when compared to actual production. Now he is has been removed from the team. Baseall in Oklahoma has been on a stupendous dive for the last 20 years now. Oklahoma which was once a bastion of baseball talent has now seen the sport slip further and further back compared to participation in other sports. The large latin influx in the state has only caused the rift to become greater rather than lessen as soccer has become more and more prevelant in the state. What little talent the state does produce often gets wooed to Witchita State and Stoolwater who are much more willing to offer full rides to players and rely on fielding a full roster by way of in state walk ons as well. Oklahoma has followed the recruiting philosophy of giving out only partial schollies but having more "scholarship" players on the team. While the over all talent may be better at OU you can only place nine players in the line up at a time and Golloway seems to have forgotten this truth to America's past time.

Oklahoma's performance at the plate can best be described as a cruel joke. All to often does the Oklahoma pitching staff only see very short rest for their arms on the bench as the kids at the plate seem to find a way to get up and get back in the field after only nine to twelve pitchs by the opposing teams man on the mound. Our sluggers frequently swing at balls far outside the strike zone on the first and second pitches allowing the opposing team to get up in the count more often than not.

This leads to my biggest gripe, which many of you have heard me griping about for years now when it comes to Golloway and our squad... OUR base running is attrocious and that is the kibndest way I can describe it!!!! In the last 3 years I have seen us blow series against Texass, Baylor, and Rice (just off the top of my head) strictly because of our base running. We are our own worst enemy and kill ourselves in far too many innings that should have been big innings and instead walk away with one or two runs.

As far as our fielding is concerned... I am too the point where I wouldn't be oppossed to seeing Ms. Patti Gasso cross the street with her group of young ladies on the softball team and teach our men some fucking fundamentals that they haven't been able to grasp after a decade of baseball experience!!!

Having bitched aout my own team enough already I feel I need to make the following statement... Someone bookmark this page because it will likely be the last time you eer read me saying this but....

Missouri is the class of the conference right now. They have a lot of leadership and a strong unit of mound operators.

That isn't saying much though this year. The Big 12 is really, REALLY down. Texass just isn't what it has been, period. As I predicted Nebraska is on teir way down having lost the true star of the coaching staff to aTm. Texas A&M and Okie State are really starting to turn their programs around but still aren't there yet despite what their inflated records against a weakened Big 12 indicate. Oklahoma and especially Kansas are slidding like the fat kid at recess. Baylor, KState, and Tech are just simply attrocious!!!

But hey at least our women are a virtual shoe in for their 9th WCWS in the last 10 years...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Good to have you back.

The crickets ran everybody.

The sooners going to get the upset with the Big XII championship?
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mr T wrote:Good to have you back.

The crickets ran everybody.

The sooners going to get the upset with the Big XII championship?
I wouldn't count on it... :(
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

well, the baseball Sooners are giving themselves a chance....with W's over Mizzou and the pokies.

Sunny prolly jinxed them by talking about "destiny"...though.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:well, the baseball Sooners are giving themselves a chance....with W's over Mizzou and the pokies.

Sunny prolly jinxed them by talking about "destiny"...though.
Where the hell was this team the rest of the season?

Rough loss last night Mr. T. I thought my friend was going to come across the poker table at me when I jokingly stated that "Florida States needs a touchdown to take the lead." in the ninth inning...
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

since it seems we are almost active in the forum again... maybe one of you could help me...

i'll be passing through NE about the time of the last few games of the CWS. how likely is it that i would be able to get tickets? and at what price? just looking for a ballpark... i'm pretty close to willing to pay anything. figure it's a once a lifetime chance i would get to see it.
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't know about tix....since some teams will be losing...and their fans leaving i'd say it's possible. Final Four and NCAA hoops tournament is like that. you can easily get tix for face.

problem i hear: is finding a room in Omaha.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:i don't know about tix....since some teams will be losing...and their fans leaving i'd say it's possible. Final Four and NCAA hoops tournament is like that. you can easily get tix for face.

problem i hear: is finding a room in Omaha.
Problem is hotel arraingments, not so much tickets.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

that's what i meant to say.....but seem to brevity and clarity impaired.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

SunCoastSooner wrote: Rough loss last night Mr. T. I thought my friend was going to come across the poker table at me when I jokingly stated that "Florida States needs a touchdown to take the lead." in the ninth inning...
Losing to the canes always sucks and clemson seems to have our number.

What sucks is FSU will probably draw clemson in supers.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
my travel plans look like the final... either 23rd or 24th. hotel isn't a concern... have a friend in DSM, IA.

anyone going to be in attendence? or anyone attend before? anything i should know?

tia
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mac22 wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:
my travel plans look like the final... either 23rd or 24th. hotel isn't a concern... have a friend in DSM, IA.

anyone going to be in attendence? or anyone attend before? anything i should know?

tia
I went 13 years ago...