Team Selections - Need everyone's input on this subject

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Team Selections - Need everyone's input on this subject

Post by Atomic Punk »

I propose we get first dibs for our original teams for the next few rounds. In other words, if I picked the #11, 20, 29, 48... I should have the option of keeping my drivers for the rest of the year. However, if I decide to make changes then I cannot be able to get them back in any later round.

I forget the race for the chase format, but maybe it could be tweaked to be able to include more non-top 10 guys as there is only a limited choice for that final segment. Maybe we pick 2 RFTC guys and 2 non-contenders? Let's discuss this before we get too far along in the season.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

We break the season up into 4 segments, AP.

1. race 1 - 8
2. race 9 - 16
3. race 17- 25
4. The Chase 26 - 36

After the first segment, teams must consist of two drivers from with-in the Top 10, and two drivers outside the Top 10. However, since NASCAR changed the Chase format to include the top 12 in the "playoffs", I suppose we could go that route also. I'd like to get folks input on that.

As for calling dibs on certain drivers, we've always done this on a first come first serve basis, and I don't see any reason why we should change this. Towards the end of each segment, a new thread will be posted by Mac or myself (or rozy when he gets impatient) for driver picks for the next. Just be prepared to be here to get who you want ASAP.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I know that. In knowing that, I pick the following for race 9 - 16:

Happy now?

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

You can't pick your team yet not knowing where they'll be in the points after 8 races, dumbass.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Notice I'm only 10 pts behind you overall?

Damn, this is a tough league.

BTW, for all of you NAPA fans like me, take a hat to your local NAPA store or regional distribution center and trade in a hat for a #55 Michael Watrip NAPA hat. So far I have two of them and will get the 3rd tomorrow... so I am not so greedy.

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

trev, do YOU have something to say... my little sweetie?

Put up something NASCAR-like please. Get er done.

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

:lol:

There's been a pit road penalty guys. Which ya'll can't afford.

I'm gonna beat you all.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

nice AV AP!

1st come 1st served...

no problem with making it the Top 12.

question though.

Dave, Mac and Pac (plus the ever LURKING JinT3)--->when the Chase came into play....we changed to 2 in and 2 out for the teams....Why wouldn't we keep that policy for the Chase segment ONLY.

why did it get extended? i know it was in place for the 3rd segment last year (i kinda scratched my Liver and belched...) but, now Dave; you want it to be for Segment 2 as well??

Dave...you and i bottom feed(traditionally) at this game; since we always take RCR and DEI...why should we all "Lock IN" so early...and have maybe 1 driver be the lynch-pin to deciding the contest?

just tossing it out there...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Qbert wrote:
1st come 1st served...

no problem with making it the Top 12.
That's settled, then. After the first segment, you pick two from in the Top 12, two out.
question though.

Dave, Mac and Pac (plus the ever LURKING JinT3)--->when the Chase came into play....we changed to 2 in and 2 out for the teams....Why wouldn't we keep that policy for the Chase segment ONLY.

why did it get extended? i know it was in place for the 3rd segment last year (i kinda scratched my Liver and belched...) but, now Dave; you want it to be for Segment 2 as well??

Dave...you and i bottom feed(traditionally) at this game; since we always take RCR and DEI...why should we all "Lock IN" so early...and have maybe 1 driver be the lynch-pin to deciding the contest?

just tossing it out there...
Maybe I'm drunk, but I have no idea what you just asked there, and I'm pretty damn fluent at Qspeak.

No lock-ins. Post your new team when the thread pops up, same as always.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

it SEEMED Like...the last 2 segments last year were determined by 1 driver being ON or OFF of your Roster...i.e. Tony Stewart.

i think that we ALL had Tony Stewart as our 3rd driver for the last segment for Sure...meaning that we were all LOCKED In to a cut-n-dried finish. (dependant on what 1 driver DID....99 Edwards?)

2 in 2 out for the Final Segment ONLY is my point.

let OUR "picking prowess" be on display for Segments 2 and 3.

Dave

sorry that your Qspeak interpretation was OFF...i'm self~medicating a twisted ankle. (at 40...that kinda SMARTS...fyi....)
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

Maybe it's just me, but the rules seemed a lot simpler before you guys started talking about it.

Top 12 seems logical, WW.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Qbert wrote:it SEEMED Like...the last 2 segments last year were determined by 1 driver being ON or OFF of your Roster...i.e. Tony Stewart.

i think that we ALL had Tony Stewart as our 3rd driver for the last segment for Sure...meaning that we were all LOCKED In to a cut-n-dried finish. (dependant on what 1 driver DID....99 Edwards?)

2 in 2 out for the Final Segment ONLY is my point.

let OUR "picking prowess" be on display for Segments 2 and 3.

Dave

sorry that your Qspeak interpretation was OFF...i'm self~medicating a twisted ankle. (at 40...that kinda SMARTS...fyi....)
Gotta disagree Q. By making players pick 2 drivers outside the top 12, you're forcing players to show their "picking prowess" all year long. Last year with Stewart was a weird deal because he got hot during segment 3, but not quite hot enough to make the chase. Therefore, he was everybody's choice for their #1 non chase driver in segment 4. The chances of that happening again, especially with the expanded chase field, are I would think rather remote.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

thats a fair way to look at it Bri'

(i was self-medicating my ankle at thte time :mrgreen: )
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Okay, so there is a format where we have to pick racers from the "Chase." Why does it have to be like that? You tighten up the points and if one driver has a bad day you're fucked.

I say let everyone pick the 4 they want regardless of who's in. The other drivers are still racing right? So why make it where we all have to pick from a select group?

I'm all for just picking 4 drivers and let the championship deal be a NASCAR thing and not a T1B thing.

I want to pick my 4 drivers and not being told I have to pick from a select points situation. Not having a choice takes away from the fun.

If I want to take Michael Waltrip during the final segment, then y'all can laugh at my stupidity.

So in conclusion, I say we can pick whatever 4 drivers for each segment no matter where they fall in points.

Opinions?

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Atomic Punk wrote:Okay, so there is a format where we have to pick racers from the "Chase." Why does it have to be like that? You tighten up the points and if one driver has a bad day you're fucked.

I say let everyone pick the 4 they want regardless of who's in. The other drivers are still racing right? So why make it where we all have to pick from a select group?

I'm all for just picking 4 drivers and let the championship deal be a NASCAR thing and not a T1B thing. I want to pick my 4 drivers and not being told I have to pick from a select points situation. Not having a choice takes away from the fun. If I want to take Michael Waltrip during the final segment, then y'all can laugh at my stupidity. So in conclusion, I say we can pick whatever 4 drivers for each segment no matter where they fall in points.

Opinions?
I suppose we could amend the rules to say that if you can 3 or 4 drivers OUTSIDE the top 12 but no more than 2 IN the top 12. You see, the whole idea of limiting the top drivers on each team is so that the first person in doesn't just go 1,2,3,4 down the points list. What the hell fun is that?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Atomic Punk wrote:Okay, so there is a format where we have to pick racers from the "Chase." Why does it have to be like that? You tighten up the points and if one driver has a bad day you're fucked.

I'm all for just picking 4 drivers and let the championship deal be a NASCAR thing and not a T1B thing.

I want to pick my 4 drivers and not being told I have to pick from a select points situation. Not having a choice takes away from the fun.

If I want to take Michael Waltrip during the final segment, then y'all can laugh at my stupidity.

So in conclusion, I say we can pick whatever 4 drivers for each segment no matter where they fall in points.

Opinions?
Damn AP, if you have a problem with the format than go play in the other sandbox baby. Geez, this format has been around a while, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind following Bri's suggestion to go with just one in the chase. I would also suggest chosing a driver from 13-20, one from 21-30, and one 31+. Now that would test the knowledge of Neckcar on this board.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I totally agree Brian, and I see why the original system was put in place. That explanation made sense.

I know that certain drivers suck on certain tracks and I don't want to be locked into picking a "Chase" contender just because.

I would say we can't pick more than 2 drivers in the Chase and then be able to pick more from the outside. That really makes this more of a bet to let us all hang ourselves. If I want to pick Michael Watrip because Toyota put all of their eggs in the Car of Tomorrow, then it's my gamble to lose my ass.

Does picking a max of 2 of the top 10 or 12 racers make sense?

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote:You see, the whole idea of limiting the top drivers on each team is so that the first person in doesn't just go 1,2,3,4 down the points list. What the hell fun is that?
Couldn't have said it better.

Some here want to WIN this game. Some here want to be shameless homers for their favorite drivers/teams, and let the chips fall where they may. Count me in amongst the latter group. That's why it's soo sweet on those few occasions when my team can scream BODE.

Totally down with your cause, AP. You can pick all 4 from outside the top 12 if'n that's what floats your boat. The rule was put in place to prevent what Bri described above. Didn't think anyone would actually want to do that, but if so, knock yourself out.

It appears the consensus is that we stay with the current format after the first segment, but now being allowed to pick 2 drivers from the top 12, rather than the top 10. You can pick as many outside the top 12 as you want.

We cool with that?
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

TOTALLY cool with having to pick 2 from the top 12 and THEN picking a driver(s) that will fuck my shit up. I'm a "homer" and want the opportunity to pick my losers. At least I can say I did it to myself and enjoy the racing.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Then again, Mac hasn't posted the results from last week (which is fine by me, I'm not reading that) yet, so this could all be a moot point.

I'd like to just throw the results from Las Vegas the fuck out. Seems like two queers took 1-2 , anyways, so's who counting?

Yes? Great! We'll just call LV a mulligan and move on to Atlanta. You're off the hook, Mac.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Opinions?
well said AP.

that was my point ^^^^^^^^^^ above.

find the HOT Driver(s) that nobody has.

of course that can be done with 2 in and 2 out of the top 12.

no probs.

i just wondered how we got from ONLY doing it in the last segment (CHASE) in the 1st place.

HA!!!! on the LV Mulligan!!!!!!

Mac is off the HOOK!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Qbert wrote: i just wondered how we got from ONLY doing it in the last segment (CHASE) in the 1st place.
oh... so why didn't you say so in the first place? Well, you probably did but I was stuck on drunk at the time.

Here's where the idea started:

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8997

Here's where it got furthered:

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13757

Here's where it became the LAW of the T1B neckcar pick 'em game.

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=15981

Any more questions?
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

...i forget why i'm posting on this thread.

:mrgreen:

2 in and 2 out.