Concert Playbill Designs

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Concert Playbill Designs

Post by patsy stone »

Soooo I design stuff for local shows. Here's my latest one:

These guys hired me as their official designer. I am not the best by ANY means, but they think I am. LOL
Last edited by patsy stone on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

More I've done...

I wish I had more time to work on posters. There are SO MANY people that know how to do this really well. I want to perfect this art one day.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Nice!
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

patsy stone wrote:More I've done...

I wish I had more time to work on posters. There are SO MANY people that know how to do this really well. I want to perfect this art one day.
I know of a band called (no, I'm not kidding) Howling Joe and the Emancipators. That picture of Abe doing the duckwalk would have been so freakin money for one of their bills. Solid stuff Patsy. I'm seriously considering printing it out on one of the poster size printers we have at my workplace and using it in the office area of the house my wife and I are purchasing.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

You mean print out MY design? :shock:

If so, that's really flattering and I can email you a better quality file for printing out larger.

If not, I didn't think so.

;)
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

wifelice has a collection of 4AD posters. She needs to ebay them shits.
why is my neighborhood on fire
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

I have this book...

...and it's f*n amazing. I look at it when I need to feel inspired.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Nice stuff patsy, you have a real talent.

My favs were always the old Grateful Dead posters and such. Who knows maybe these will inspire you too.

http://www.deadlists.com/posters/index.htm

I'm trying to remember the name of the famous dude that did a lot of the 60's psychedilic post art, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyhow, keep up the good work
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Tom In VA wrote:My favs were always the old Grateful Dead posters and such.

They really kicked the playbill tradition up a notch.

Back in the early days, U&L brewing pioneers, the McMenamins, adorned almost every square inch of their pubs with Dead playbills. As their empire grew, the ended up opening music venues of their own(the Crystal maybe being the premier club in town these days), and eventually went on to produce their own playbills, and I believe nowadays, they actually have a full time playbill artist(along with a host of other full time artists to decorate their facilities).

You might take a look around their website for some inspiration, Patsy -- http://www.mcmenamins.com/

I could have sworn they used to have a webpage that displayed a bunch of their playbills, but I couldn't find it. But there's examples of the style on just about every page on the site.

Nice work, Patsy. I've always been kind of a sucker for playbills(which if you're going to make them professionally, you might want to familiarize yourself with the name of what you're producing -- they're "playbills.") Can't find too many of mine anymore, and most of the ones I have were yanked right off telephone poles downtown. It's cool that that old tradition never died.

Keep it going.

I'm trying to remember the name of the famous dude that did a lot of the 60's psychedilic post art, but I'm drawing a blank.

Right on the tip of my tongue, and I'm drawing a blank, too.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Yes, I know they are called "playbills" but when I started this thread, the word escaped me for some reason.

Maybe b/c it was late? I usually stop thinking after 10 p.m. ;)

My apologies.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I try to cease all thinking by 10AM, that way if something comes up later, I haven't used up my days' allotment.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

This guy is on MySpace and does amazing work. He has a bunch of playbills in his "Pics" section:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=26412367
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dins,

http://www.myraltis.co.uk/rickgriffin/g ... _music.htm

Rick Griffin.

The Skeleton with the roses (called Bertha here in the East, not sure about out west) was the product of

Stanley Mouse

http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1970s/19711023.html

http://www.mousestudios.com/rockart/skulls/7_skulls.htm
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Tom In VA wrote: The Skeleton with the roses

While quite the accomplished drunk, I never got so drunk that I ended up with any tattoos.

But I almost got one of that...with him/her (Bertha) tipping the top hat.

Dinsdale wrote:The Crystal

And looking through their upcoming shows, I might just have to Crystal* it up for Fat Tuesday, which also happens to be the 10th anniversary of McMenny's renovation of the hall.

And with the freaking Who's Who list of bands that come through that place, who did they book for such a monumental occasion?

The Cherry Poppin Daddies. ([zysdale]played in a youth band with their trumpeter, Dana Heitman[/zysdale])

Yeah, buddy. About the most energetic geriatric band one could ever hope to see.

In one week's time, they have the Thermals(don't think they're well-known nationally, but pretty big around these parts), the Daddies(not that the aging scenesters around here haven't seen 50 Daddies shows), The Shins w/Viva Voce(also fairly big around here), and Big Head Todd.

It's damn-near getting to where the bands are paying the Crystal to play there.

* -- Yes, the coolest club in the state that brought the "meth epidemic" to the world is called The Crystal (Ballroom). There's a methadone clinic next door, too.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

The Slickers had me revised the blue/yellow version for another show b/c they liked it so much. Also did a new one today.

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Ladies' T-shirt Design:

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cool stuff, Patsy!

I did a poster for the blues festival in Kalamazoo for a class a couple years ago. It's embarrassing to look at because I've gotten so much better as a graphic designer since then. Poster/playbill art is pretty cool...I wish had the opportunity to do more of it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I love this one --

Being a West Coast guy, I'm much more accustomed to the psychedelic style playbills, but I think this one really captures a..."spirit" or something.

I don't know if they're a southern-rock band, but that playbill has a definite southern-rock essence to it. The vague outlines of two guys jamming side-by-side, with one axe clearly being the venerable Les Paul; just enough of the long, stringy hair showing, and the ...whatever you call those floppy-brimmed cowboy hats partially visible...but the little bit of paisly at the top shows they aren't totally drooling inbred hicks that are going to butcher Hank Williams covers...

I've never heard them play, but the design just gives me the impression that these guys are going to get down and do some serious southern-style shredding, and I'm having a hard time believing there won't be a bottle of Jack Daniels being passed around between the band members during the show.

So, if that's the image you were going for, than it's excellent work.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Although if I was going to be hyper-critical(in a constructive way), the only thing I think could be improved much would be the banner at the top -- "A great night of live music."

Just IMO, but this should read more like an invitation than an announcement. I think that's more important with a local/regional band.

Something along the lines of...I dunno..."Come join us for an evening of..." ..."great southern rock"....or ...something like that. Words like "join us" and words to that æffect create an atmosphere of exclusivity, or gives the impression that by attending, the reader is somehow hanging with the "cool kids."

Just my overpriced $0.02.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Southern Rock - check!
Jack Daniels - check!
Smoove guitar riffs and music - check!
Love the Allman Brothers - check!

That's them! :)
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Two more:

Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Nice work.

Help me out though, I'm about as creative as a doorknob when it comes to visual stuff.

The "Mossy Heads" one has that greenish, mossy tint. Right ? As in it's moss covered.

The "Dirty Shannon" one, to me anyway, screams "flashback". Yeah, you've probably heard of the kind of flashback I'm referring to. And it appears as if the "mic" is actually a person whose legs are the dates and venue information.

Just trying to get into a talented persons head for a second and see if I'm "gettin it".

But like I said, very nicely done.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

A lot of playbills don't need to be "got". I've seen some that don't make any sense, but just look cool and advertise the show.

The MossyHeadz Festival is a 3-day outdoors thing where people camp out and smoke pot somewhere in the middle of Florida. Music is mostly funk and jam rock kinda stuff. I was just trying to get that point across.

The Dirty Shannon thing was just something I whipped up in less than an hour for my friend's band in Orlando. Something that he could put online to get peoples' attention. Although someone they know took my original artwork and modified it for future shows, and I am not down with that. I called him and expressed my displeasure, and he apologized but nothing was ever done about it. So I am not doing anymore for DS.

The Yankee Slickers are coming over tonight to discuss their album cover artwork. They are going to begin recording their first full-length at the beginning of April. I'm very excited!
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

patsy stone wrote:A lot of playbills don't need to be "got". I've seen some that don't make any sense, but just look cool and advertise the show.
Cool. Thanks, I was moreso trying to get a feel for your inspiration and "process" I guess than seeing if I "got it". Poor choice of words on my part. I like to speculate and wonder "where the artist was going with this" or "seems the artist was trying to ...", right or wrong it's just where my head naturally goes when I look at stuff, after the initial "wow that looks cool" experience.

Keep up the good work patsy.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

patsy stone wrote:I have this book...

...and it's f*n amazing. I look at it when I need to feel inspired.
I love that book. It's well worth its hefty price.

I like your gig posters, patsy. And feel free to call them that. I know a guy who has some of his work in the Art Of Modern Rock book and that's the term he uses, so consider that an expert endorsement.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Donovan wrote:I know a guy who has some of his work in the Art Of Modern Rock book and that's the term he uses, so consider that an expert endorsement.

Let me guess -- he also says "back bacon" and "took."

Uhm...yeah.

It's a "playbill."
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Far be it for me to try to school you on the English language, Dins, but it is possible for something to have more than one name. If you're a pretentious twat you can insist on calling them playbills, otherwise I think gig posters is an appropriate term.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Donovan wrote:otherwise I think gig posters is an appropriate term.

I'd forgotten -- the "hipsters" (a criminally-inaccurate name-btw) think they invented, or put some radical new twist on everything under the sun.

Nevermind that the term "playbill" has been in common use for over 40 years...the "hipsters" have decided to rename them.

And this is why they are tards.

But nice of you to emote on the topic.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I've never pretended, not wanted, to be a hipster, so I'm not sure where this argument comes from. I just feel that "gig poster" is a more descriptive term. You know exactly what I'm talking about when I say it.

The same can't be said for "playbill". The theater industry has used it to describe programs for much longer than 40 years. That's what comes to mind when I hear the word, and I'm not alone since every definition I've found so far make reference to plays, and nothing else.

~ Edited to add italics since Dinsdale likes them so much.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Donovan wrote:I'm not sure where this argument comes from.

It was a step in the process of accusing you of being homosexual.

And since when does anyone need a reason to question the sexual orientation of anyone else on this board?

Baseless? Unfair? Uncalled for?

Absolutely.

Welcome to the internet.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I don't mind being called a fag on this board. It comes with the territory. I didn't realize that was where you were going with the hipster comment, and honestly, I expected more from you. It's a sad day when all that Dinsdale can come back with is lame homosmack.

It's no wonder I read this board less and less over time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't hit a homer on every pitch, nor do I catch a fish on every cast.

And every now an then*, I get rim-checked while doing a motherfucking 360 jamma-lamma in your fucking face.

* - Every time