Remember how furious you were...

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Remember how furious you were...

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

when Rolling Stone came out with their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time? Well, prepare to scream at your monitor, because that list was nothing compared to this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... _time.html

It starts off reasonably enough, but scroll down to #21 and then get back to me. As you continue reading, you realize that there are not only head-scratching entries and unpardonable omissions, but the order is completely ridiculous. This might be the most asinine list I've ever seen.

Edited to update link
Last edited by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Big Willie Style is definitely better than Ziggy Stardust. or even in the same "genre", better than Nation of Millions.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

And the Grease soundtrack is definitely better than all but two Beatles albums.

And at least we know where the Clash stacks up...
that ridiculous list wrote:95 CREED HUMAN CLAY 1999 Rock
96 CLASH LONDON CALLING 1979 Rock
97 CELINE DION FALLING INTO YOU 1996 Adult Contemporary
In all fairness, I understand that maybe it gets a little boring when you read a list like this and 15 of the top 20 albums are Beatles, Stones, & Dylan, but this is just retarded.

Avril Lavgne?
Creed?
Kenny fucking G?

And no Pixies, Jane's Addiction, Clapton, or CCR to be found. The longer you look at it, the more frustrated you get....
"Keys, woman!"
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:The longer you look at it, the more frustrated you get....
Then why look at it?

For the record, the R&R HOF was started by the publisher of Rolling Stone, so that should give you an idea of its credibility.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Donovan wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:The longer you look at it, the more frustrated you get....
Then why look at it?

For the record, the R&R HOF was started by the publisher of Rolling Stone, so that should give you an idea of its credibility.
That may be the case, but the list I linked to has nothing to do with Rolling Stone. I just used RS as a point of reference. Their list ain't even half bad compared to this one.

And to answer your first question, I guess it's the same as getting sucked into a shitty movie. You can't believe how bad it is, but for some reason, you keep watching (reading).
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Donovan wrote:
Then why look at it?
because the deformation of history is something we should all be concerned about. plus, historians of the future will laugh their asses off at us (well, even more than they already will). :twisted:
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Remember how furious you were...

Post by BSmack »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:when Rolling Stone came out with their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time? Well, prepare to scream at your monitor, because that list was nothing compared to this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... _time.html

It starts off reasonably enough, but scroll down to #21 and then get back to me. As you continue reading, you realize that there are not only head-scratching entries and unpardonable omissions, but the order is completely ridiculous. This might be the most asinine list I've ever seen.

Edited to update link
Only one Miles Davis album. And it wasn't...

Mmmmmmmm
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
Donovan wrote:I just used RS as a point of reference.
As did I. The publisher of Rolling Stone started the HOF. Rolling stone sucks; So does the HOF. Case in point: all they could do to honor Van Halen was have Velvet Revolver butcher their songs while the two least important menbers droned on about how they miss the good times (and the paycheques). How could anyone think the list would be anything but utter shit. Sure, it's hard to look away at a shitty movie, but it's really easy to not see it in the first place and save yourself the grief.

As for KC's point about historical deformation, I only hope future generations will be given the chance to listen to the great music. Our best best to see that happen is to destroy the record industry and those that support it (as the HOF does). Then we can free the music to be enjoyed by anyone without having pop idols and roller coaster rock bands forced upon us all. I know, good fucking luck.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

as they used to say at SST in the 80's: corporate rock still sucks.
"
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Yep, another asinine list. It started out fine, but when it comes to people who can't even write one fucking song on a so-called "best album ever" list, then it renders the entire list as shit. Christina Aguilera can't write a song to save her life, but kick ass groups like Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, Tears for Fears, and The Crystal Method who write and perform thier own stuff, don't make it even once on the list? Fucking retards at NY Daily.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

The Daily News didn't compile the list, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame did. That's why I mentioned it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Tears for Fears?

Yikes.

Although I'm sure that Dins is down with Everybody Wants to Rule the World.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Donovan wrote:The Daily News didn't compile the list, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame did. That's why I mentioned it.
That's even worse.
War Wagon wrote:Tears for Fears?
At least they write their own songs. That fact alone should qualify them for a spot on this list over talentless wannabes who can't write a single note. Besides, TfF has put out some great albums, and no I'm not talking about Songs from the Big Chair. The Seeds of Love has some fantastic jazz flavor songs on it, and The Hurting is a pretty damn good first album. Not saying TfF is one of the best groups out there, but they are better than any non-song writing person/group out there.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

War Wagon wrote:Tears for Fears?
I'm down.
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

T for F is pretty deece considering the musical wasteland that was MTV/popular music in the Reagan 80's....
"
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

KatMode wrote:but kick ass groups like Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, Tears for Fears, and The Crystal Method who write and perform thier own stuff, don't make it even once on the list? Fucking retards at NY Daily.
Was that meant to be intentionally funny?
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Rack Fu wrote:
KatMode wrote:but kick ass groups like Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, Tears for Fears, and The Crystal Method who write and perform thier own stuff, don't make it even once on the list? Fucking retards at NY Daily.
Was that meant to be intentionally funny?
If that's the way you took it, I'm glad to bring you some humour for the day.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

Kat Mode,

Check out TCM every Friday night at Indie 103.1 starting at 10pm PST.
[web]http://www.indie1031.fm/shows/communityservice.php[/web]

This is another free community service message.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Sweet! Thanks Fat Bones!