Trade talk '07

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

The Avs send Brad May to Anaheim in exchange for Scott Niedermayer.......in my dreams. No word on the scrub (or low pick) they get for May yet.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

TSN just said Bertuzzi has been traded the Red Wings...McKenzie is saying there's a prospect and a conditional draft pick going the other way. The deal is pending league approval.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197906&hubname=nhl
Last edited by Shoalzie on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

^^^^

Well that's one way to reinstate old rivalries.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Bertuzzi deal is official...

Recent moves:
Dupuis to ATL from NYR
Perreault to TOR from PHO
Zubrus to BUF from WSH
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Hobbes wrote:^^^^

Well that's one way to reinstate old rivalries.

It's a very good trade because of the stipulations Holland put in it pertaining to if they can re-sign him after the season, how far they go in the playoffs and how well he plays. The prospect isn't a top prospect and I think giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick is okay price to pay if he helps them go deep in the playoffs.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

Bertuzzi will definitely help the Wings if he's healthy. I'd watch out for the guy though, he doesn't exactly have the personality of Stevey Y. He killed the Canucks dressing room last year. The Panthers basicallly ended up trading Luongo for a conditional pick. Keenan looks like a genius again
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

If he is a trouble maker and brings down the team, they'll let him walk after this season...simple as that.

However, if he comes in and is a force again, the Wings have the inside track on re-signing him and they have their power forward they've been lacking for a long time.

Adding Calder and Bertuzzi and giving up only Williams, a low grade prospect and a conditional pick...Holland did great.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

The Avs get someone named Michael Wall for Brad May. Just what they need....another scrub goaltender. Oh, but there's more. They also acquired from San Jose the highly coveted Scott Parker. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with either of these moves except potentially to clear some cap space, but Brad May was done after this year anyway, and no word on who they gave up for Parker.

I know, I know, nobody cares about the scrubs being traded to the Avs. I'm a homer and my team is circling the drain. Sue me.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wall is a decent goalie. He played briefly this year when both Giguere and Bryzgalov were hurt.

Anything can happen before the end of the season but it's not looking good for your Avs. Gonna be strange not seeing them in the postseason...
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Hobbes wrote:The Avs get someone named Michael Wall for Brad May. Just what they need....another scrub goaltender. Oh, but there's more. They also acquired from San Jose the highly coveted Scott Parker. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with either of these moves except potentially to clear some cap space, but Brad May was done after this year anyway, and no word on who they gave up for Parker.

I know, I know, nobody cares about the scrubs being traded to the Avs. I'm a homer and my team is circling the drain. Sue me.
Your team should of gone for Bertuzzi. That trade would of gone over well
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Just heard on TSN...Norstrom to the Stars and Ryan Smyth could be on his way to the Islanders. If I were a betting man, Jason Blake is probably going to the Oilers...a swap of potential UFAs.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Shoalzie wrote:Wall is a decent goalie. He played briefly this year when both Giguere and Bryzgalov were hurt.
Right, the problem is Colorado already has a bevy of "decent" goalies. They need more than that. I can't believe they really wanted Wall, but who knows. Maybe Giguere figures he has to act like a GM now that he is one.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The details for the Smyth deal...Smyth for 2 prospects and a 1st round pick, Jason Blake was not involved. Great trade for the Isles and a heartbreaking trade for the Oilers, I'm sure.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Shoalzie wrote:Just heard on TSN...Ryan Smyth could be on his way to the Islanders.
How can the Oilers not resign Smyth? Is he that unhappy in Edmonton? That guy is the heart and soul of their offense.

Nice pickup for the Stars. There's no reason they shouldn't contend in the West. Oh wait, yes there is: Marty Turco. He's got to turn it around if they want to go anywhere in the postseason.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Hobbes wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Just heard on TSN...Ryan Smyth could be on his way to the Islanders.
How can the Oilers not resign Smyth? Is he that unhappy in Edmonton? That guy is the heart and soul of their offense.

It was a money issue. Sounds like he wanted between $5-5.5 million per year. The Oilers tried to get him locked up today so they didn't have to trade him but I guess things fell apart and the Islanders may have gotten the gem of the deadline deals. I definitely wanted him in Detroit. I'm happy with Bertuzzi and Calder though and the Wings probably would've been fleeced if they tried to make a move with the Oilers.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

That's a terrible trade. Smyth is the heart of that team. He's a local guy that I can guarantee wanted to finish his career in Edmonton. I guess they couldn't agree on a contract extension, so Kevin Lowe felt he had no choice but to trade him. I guess the Oil are pretty much writing this seasn off.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Another late trade...Brad Boyes to STL, Dennis Wideman to BOS
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

I can't wait to see Kevin Lowe get booed on the red carpet tonight as he tries to honor Messier.

Maybe he can fool himself into thinking that the crowd is saying MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE.
Mrs. Stoll
Jake

Post by Mrs. Stoll »

What the #%*& is Kevin Lowe thinking? I understand that we are 9 points behind a playoff postion but still. I thought the idea of a trade was to better ourselves not to destroy a team. He is our number one. Why not get rid of Horcoff or Torres.

The only reason we were unable to resign Smyth is cause of the ridiculous contract we gave Pisani and those other third liners.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

OK, I've had a few moments to dwell upon the Smyth trade and now that I have calmed down I can say what I want to without worrying about over reacting and saying things I don't mean and will regret. So here goes:

Kevin Lowe can kiss my big white ass. Every hairy inch of it. And when he is done smooching that big white booty he can present himself to every household in the greater Edmonton area, on his knees , lips puckered, on the front porch with a chapstick in one hand, and proceed to kiss the bums of everybody contained within. And when he is done with that he can....well....let's see.....maybe slam his schlong in his car door for a few hours or something to get started. Fucker.

What the hell was that man thinking? Was signing Smyth the right move for the team? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure as hell wasn't trading him for two fucking nobodies and a draft pick. Are you pyschic Kevin Lowe? Do you see either of those two humps becoming a 30+ goal scorer? Hell, will they get 30 between the 2 of them? Or are they both excellent golfers and you wanted a nice little foursome with them and that Russian, who wont be playing with us this season, you signed in another Long Island fiasco deal. Make your tee times now Kev because the season will be ending soon enough. But you knew that already didn't you. Fucker.

Was signing Smitty the only way to go? I think so. The man has done everything for this team and its fans. Show up for charity functions? Done. Be a role model for every kid on the planet? Done. Put in extra time to help out new guys? Done. Donate buckets of blood, teeth and pounds of flesh? Done...in spades. And he did it all at a discount for his home team. Hell, I saw him on TV last year at a nursing home giving a cake to some crazy old bat that turned 100 or something. The crone had tapioca running out of the corner of her mouth and Smityy still let her run her crooked hands through his mullet and kiss her on the cheek. The man deserved a raise and everyone knows it. And he didn't ask for anything that was out of line. He was one of the ultimate Oilers, a consumate professional and Kevin Lowe pissed that away for nothing as far as I am concerned. That fucker.

If it had to be done then it had to be done. But are you telling me that this is the best you could manage? I garanfuckingtee you that there were teams that would have ponied up more than two towel boys for him. You know what you'll hear from the team brass? "We went with players that would fit with the team and what we wanted to do with it." More horseshit. Some people have already made the comparison to the Gretzky deal. While thats not even close at least Pocklington got a metric assload of cash for Wayne. A fuckload more than we have to show for this deal. Fucker.

I guess this is a new trend for Edmonton. Botching huge deals with star players and flushing seasons down the shitter in the process.
Let it be known Kevin Lowe, and anyone else who helped engineer this debacle....if I see you I will fight you. Fucker.

Out.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This is killing me that my Center Ice is on the fritz...I'd love to watch that Oiler game tonight and just see the reaction of the fans to what has gone on today. I can't possibly be as rough on the city as it was when Gretzky was traded to the Kings but I'm sure they're taking it pretty hard.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

nice to see the wings needed to shore up the facet of attacking people from behind.

oh the irony of your avatar. i wonder what darren mccarty would say about that.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:oh the irony of your avatar.
That's kind of why I put it up...won't see a picture of him in a Wings uniform probably for a couple weeks.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Lowe was entirely absent from the ceremony. I have a feeling that the long winded speech MacT delivered was originally supposed to be Lowe's. Mac did not seem to know the speech at all so I think he tried to learn it sometime in the early afternoon. Lowe probably stayed home and searched bodydoubles.com in between boarding up windows and doors.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Sad to see Norstrom go after 11 years with the Kings, but they are stockpiling the picks and the $ they need to go after UFA's this summer. (Scott Gomez in Socal would be a coup!)
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Rack Kevin Lowe!!

Yes, you heard me. Rack Kevin Lowe.

First of all, no one knows what Smyth was asking for or what Lowe offered. Rumors say that Lowe offered $5.5 mil and Smyth wanted $6. Well guess what Mr. I-wanna-bean-Oiler-for-life, Lowe called you bluff and 500k/yr got you shipped out to Long Island. And if your worth $6 mil/yr shouldn't you have put this team on your shoulders and willed them into a playoff spot? Or at least close to one?

Lowe gave Smyth his best offer. Remember every extra dollar above $5.5 was a dollar away from the #1 d-man that Lowe needs to pick up in the offseason. Was it easy to make the desion? I doubt it, Lowe held on until there was only 20 minutes before the deadline and Lowe's best offer wasn't good enough for Smyth. So what should Lowe do? Should he hold on to Smyth and hope that Smyth's asking price will go down as he get closer to becoming a UFA? Yeah right. Fuck him, send him to the island and get something for him. We don't need to get the same in return that we did for CuJo or do you remember that one ?

Lowe still has the oppertunity to sign Smyth in the off season. Or use the 6 million he didn't spend on Smyth to attract a UFA or 2... Mehan, Smyth's agent said negotiations we very professional. And hey, if Smyth signs somewhere else for more $$$ that's probably where he would have ended yup whether you traded him today or held on to him until July 1st.

You give props to Smyth for showing up for charity functions? Is Smyth far from the only NHL player who does that. But why should it matter. Laraques was Mr community but that doesn't add anything to your value ONE THE ICE. See Lowe is the General Manager and he gets paid to make the right decisons for the team, not the right desions for the community.

And as for that previous home town discount crap that Smyth aledgedly took. That's bullshit. There was no discount! Do you not remember Smyth holding out for more $$$$. THink back, there was this thing call a new CBA looming and players didn't know if the cap would be going up or down. Lowe signed Smyth for $3.5/yr and everyone was happy... Until the cap went up and Smyth suddenly looked really underpaid... Too bad Mr Smyth, you took the security of a 2 year $3.5 million pay check over signing of 1 year and I'm supposed to feel sorry for you.

As for could we get better than two plumbers for Smyth? Not at the 11th hour. Most teams had adressed their needs. Their cap space was used up by then and they couldn't fit someone like Smyth on their roster. Lowe has a 1st round pick and 3 of the Iles top 6 prospects.... All for Bergeron and a rental player... .Not too shabby...

Remember Lowe was prepared to give Smyth a $2 million pay raise. However it wasn't enough and Smyth got shipped.

I love ya Ryan, but it's a buiness and although I would rather have you in Oiler silks, having you as a UFA after the dealine wasn't an option.

Sincerely,

Timmy Canuck!
GET-ZKY!!!!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

rack jd

he ripped off boston,sj,and atlanta

3 1st rounders a good player in broyles for rental players
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Adelpiero wrote:rack jd

he ripped off boston,sj,and atlanta

3 1st rounders a good player in broyles for rental players

Yeah, don't be shocked if you get Tkachuk back after the season is done. I don't think Atlanta will have the cap room to keep him or they'll choose not to pay a lot to an aging forward when they've got two tremendous young wingers in Hossa and Kovalchuk that are the cornerstones of their team.