Spurs vs. Hornets 12-23-06

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Spurs vs. Hornets 12-23-06

Post by RadioFan »

Better late than never and I've had a few, so fuck it ...

Last Saturday night, I had the opportunity to see San Antonio play NOKC at the Ford Center. As you all know, the Spurs blew out the Hornets, 112-77. (sorry to spoil the story, bbq).

SA had their best game of the season against an injury-depleted Hornets team, shooting something like 63 percent -- OK, 62.9 percent -- from the field, and 64 percent from 3-point land. (hey, had to throw at least one cliche in there for Dins)

At any rate, this story is not about the game, but about my nephews, who are both age 5 ... err, 5 1/2.

As I've posted on here before, my brother has triplets -- two boys and a girl. My father bought six tickets ... for him and my mother, my brother and the two boys and myself. Meanwhile, my brother-in-law and my sister (both of whom are fully grown, and are thinking of having kids of their own, bbq), got tickets in a much better location at the Ford Center.

Our tickets were center-court, but sky-high up. My bro-in-law and sis's tickets were in the corner of the arena, about 19 rows up from the floor, near the Spurs bench. All of us, including the kids, are decked out in Spurs gear, but I digress ...

We had all been telling the boys that they are going to be able to scream really LOUD and stuff for the Spurs, all afternoon, and after dinner.

So we get loaded up in my bro's van, and head downtown, and I tell one of my nephews to look for the circular building, where there's blue letters and it says "FORD" on it. They both see it, and are mega excited, to say the least. After we get the van parked and walk to the arena, we finally all make it inside. My bro-in-law and sister go their way, along the ground level and we congragate in the foyer, just inside the ticket-takers.

At this point, I ask one of my nephews: "You want to ride on my shoulders, so you can see everything?" Him, still trying to take everything in: "Yeah"

So I hoist him up on my shoulders and up the escalators we go. First one level, then the next ... all the way up to the third level of the Ford Center.

Finally up there, with little dude still on my shoulders, we regroup, and start to make our way toward our section.

But, en route, I sort of stop everyone on their journey, because I see a clear opening ... to the vision of the court below.

Quickly, I stop and I look up saying: "Hey, you wanna see where they're going to play?"

My nephew: "Yeah!"

So we walk into one of many third-level gateways that is the vision of where we actually are, the entire building opening up in front of us, the court below, the huge levels to the right and left of us, the rock music blaring, the no-names on the court shooting. Time stopped.

My nephew didn't utter a word. The other nephew, who had followed us in there, along with my parents, and brother didn't speak. The other nephew walked to the edge of the railing and wobbled.

There's something about walking into a big arena, the confusion, the mass of humanity, the stairs, the disorientation, but then, when you actually enter the arena ... God, YES. Hell, everybody knows that feeling, but for these kids ...

It fucking ROCKED.

OK, as an aside to the mental orgasims my 5-year-old nephews were silently having to all of this, I was actually worried about them being bored, given it was going to be a 2-hour game, at least.

Nope.

We got seated and got ready for tipoff, and holy cow, was that cool, for them. They were captivated by the national anthem. Then they were into the announcements of the Spurs starting lineup.

But then, in typical NBA fashion, the lights went out, fireworks and flames and loudness prevailed and it was a whole new world.

After that, my nephews were like: "Greatest thing ever"

My brother and I got them some cotton candy during the first half, and they were amazingly well-behaved, given all the stimulation.

Then, at halftime, we met up with my bro-in-law and sister, who were sitting near the Spurs bench, and had lots of empty seats in front of them, so we moved down there for the second half.

Talk about waking the kids up. My nephews were absolutely enthralled with being so close. They started getting cranky toward the end, but we were so close to the tunnel that I encouraged them to head on down with me. I had my nephew on my shoulders as my bro-in-law slapped hands with the Spurs starting lineup, as they left through the tunnel.

That's how close we were. My nephew was dissappointed that Tim Duncan didn't look at him when he called his name, but I told him, "Tim Duncan has a lot of kids calling for him. Maybe next time he'll see you."

P.S. Two days later we drove past downtown OKC, on our way to Norman, and one of my nephews says, "'FORD,' that's where we saw SPURS."
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Spurs vs. Hornets 12-23-06

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:My nephew was dissappointed that Tim Duncan didn't look at him when he called his name, but I told him, "Tim Duncan has a lot of kids calling for him. Maybe next time he'll see you."

That's got to be nice for the kids. Here in Portland, when Zach Randolph hears you call his name, all the children take cover behind their chairs, and the nice security gaurds will often offer to lay down some cover fire.

I haven't been to a game all year. I think I'm getting some low-level tix for the Nuggets in a couple of weeks, though. Unfortunately, I think it's the game before Melo returns. I believe there's about 10 of us going, and every one is a loudmouthed drunk, and a couple are aging thugs. That would be a pretty sweet crew for Carmelo to face, first game out...since I'm pretty sure some things would get said.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one