Tremendous Slouch

25 years ago today ....

Post by MuchoBulls »

The passing of a legend.

Dreams......Temporary Madness
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

According to my sources, he died on Feb. 19, 1980.
RACK the tribute, even if it is two days late! 8)

LINK
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

One of my favorites. There's very few rock vocalists that have ever come close to the energy level that Bon brought each and every day.

If dude had to cash his ticket early, he went out like the true rock legend he was.
Last edited by Dinsdale on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

AC/DC was excellent with Scott - and excellent afterward. How many bands can survive the loss of a crucial member and still put out good stuff? Not too many.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:AC/DC was excellent with Scott - and excellent afterward.
Greatly diminished, imo. Angus and Malcolm's songwriting stayed as good or better, but they didn't have "The Poet" to bring out the full potential.
How many bands can survive the loss of a crucial member and still put out good stuff? Not too many.
Pink Floyd (Syd didn't die, but he might as well have).

Metallica had an EP and a full-length left in them before they fonzarellied the water skis.

The Who was already about halfway over the shark tank when Moon ate it.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience.......never quite the same.

I don't think Damageplan is going to take the world by storm anytime soon.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Better late than never.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

For me, Pink Floyd ends after UmmaGumma. Not that Barret would have changed that...

The Pogues were a good example as well. After Shane succumbed to LSD and Sinead, not even Joe Strummer could help.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:AC/DC was excellent with Scott - and excellent afterward. How many bands can survive the loss of a crucial member and still put out good stuff? Not too many.
ACDC had one great and one decent album after Bon Scott passed. Everything after For Those About To Rock has been absolute garbage.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:For me, Pink Floyd ends after UmmaGumma.
Really? I've never heard that about Their Royal Floydness. Animals is one of the great albums ever recorded. The Wall was a good work, albeit marred by Water's ego.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Dinsdale wrote: Metallica had an EP and a full-length left in them before they fonzarellied the water skis.
I laughed. And agreed.

big fan of ummagumma. big fan of subsequent work (even final cut)
why is my neighborhood on fire
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

rack bon scott!
i rember the first time i heard highway to hell, it blew me away! i had never heard anything like it before.
i was 13 years old at the time, my cool uncle turned me on to ac/dc.
i remember reading about his death in cream magazine, man, that was a sad day indeed.
sorry about that whammy!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was a hardcore Floyd fan in high school when Final Cut came out. Very disappointing purchase. The reincarnation's first effort, Momentary Lapse of Reason wasn't quite the same, but it is the tour I got to see, so there's that.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:I was a hardcore Floyd fan in high school when Final Cut came out. Very disappointing purchase. The reincarnation's first effort, Momentary Lapse of Reason wasn't quite the same, but it is the tour I got to see, so there's that.
The Final Cut is good for those suicidal binge phases. It also is ideal for Suround Sound environments. If you listened to it on an old hi fi stereo turntable while in a fairly good mood, I can understand why you might have been disapointed.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Highway To Hell definitely gets a nod as an "insanely good" album. Walk All Over You is the epitomy of Scott's greatness. He just had a way of giving that heavy music a "dirty" feel to it, like no one before or since.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Dinsdale wrote:Highway To Hell definitely gets a nod as an "insanely good" album. Walk All Over You is the epitomy of Scott's greatness. He just had a way of giving that heavy music a "dirty" feel to it, like no one before or since.
Night Prowler was another song that showed Bon's greatness.

B Smack, The Razor's Edge wa sa good CD. Flick of the Switch was good musically.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MuchoBulls wrote: Night Prowler was another song that showed Bon's greatness.
RACK!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Richard Ramirez
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Highway To Hell definitely gets a nod as an "insanely good" album. Walk All Over You is the epitomy of Scott's greatness. He just had a way of giving that heavy music a "dirty" feel to it, like no one before or since.
Night Prowler was another song that showed Bon's greatness.

B Smack, The Razor's Edge wa sa good CD. Flick of the Switch was good musically.
Yea, I suppose they were fine if you hadn't burned the needle off a stereo or two listening to Back in Black. If you did, then those albums were no great shakes.

Bon Scott, on the other hand, gave ACDC a range they never had with Brian Johnson.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:Bon Scott, on the other hand, gave ACDC a range they never had with Brian Johnson.
I agree 100%
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

BSmack wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:I was a hardcore Floyd fan in high school when Final Cut came out. Very disappointing purchase. The reincarnation's first effort, Momentary Lapse of Reason wasn't quite the same, but it is the tour I got to see, so there's that.
The Final Cut is good for those suicidal binge phases. It also is ideal for Suround Sound environments. If you listened to it on an old hi fi stereo turntable while in a fairly good mood, I can understand why you might have been disapointed.
any shot of that coming out in audio DVD surround sound 5.1?
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

scritti wrote:
BSmack wrote:
any shot of that coming out in audio DVD surround sound 5.1?
I wish I knew. I see no listing on Amazon, just the remastered stereo version. You can rest assured that a DVD version of The Final Cut would be way at the top of my list of things to buy. I like to reward bands I like who put out stuff like that with my dollars.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown