At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Mal
Keepin' it real

At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?

Post by Mal »

Disclaimer

I cut and pasted this post from another board, but I wrote it over there as well so save the KC Paul resets ya scumbags.

:wink:

Can't be too careful these days. :lol:

It's a topic that has been on my mind for some time. Honestly I go back and forth on it.

It's true that Gallery certainly has not lived up to expectations so far.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a bust, after all he is a starting offensive tackle in the NFL.

I will say though that I am underwhelmed by his performance so far in his career.

He gets till the end of the year at LT - bottom line. IMO at least anyway.

After that the "B" word may or may not fit him perfectly.

Realistically though it's not like we have other options. Winston Justice was a player I had my eye on in the draft but I like Howard better as a need pick. Besides what are we gonna do? Move Simms back over?

We have no one else on the current roster that could man that position any better.

Gallery is far from dominant but he isn't horrible either. He has been fairly run of the mill so far. I'd call him a disappointment mostly due to where he was drafted if anything.

One game at LT guys, how about we reevalute in about game 6 of the regular season?

Let's give the line which is in major upheaveal a chance to adjust for a while before panicking.

Thoughts Raiderfan?

You lesser fans may contribute as well. :wink:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

In Gallery's first two years in the league he's been on teams that were complete clusterfucks, and particularly in regard to the offensive line.

Norv dicked around with the O-line the way a 5 yr old farts around with leggos.

Hard to imagine a 1-2 yr player in a worse situation to try to 'settle in' to his craft than what Gallery was in.

By week 10-or-so this season I think we'll have a better idea about what kind of player he is going to be.

As an NFLer, to this point he's been about a 2+ on a 1-5 scale, IMO.

Not terrible, but not what we all had hopes for out of the #2 overall selection in the draft.

Not only Gallery, but a number of guys up front need to step it up considerably.

I think they'll get better as the year goes on.

Btw, I don't like our depth at O-line.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

poptart wrote:In Gallery's first two years in the league he's been on teams that were complete clusterfucks, and particularly in regard to the offensive line.

Norv dicked around with the O-line the way a 5 yr old farts around with leggos.

Hard to imagine a 1-2 yr player in a worse situation to try to 'settle in' to his craft than what Gallery was in.

By week 10-or-so this season I think we'll have a better idea about what kind of player he is going to be.

As an NFLer, to this point he's been about a 2+ on a 1-5 scale, IMO.

Not terrible, but not what we all had hopes for out of the #2 overall selection in the draft.

Not only Gallery, but a number of guys up front need to step it up considerably.

I think they'll get better as the year goes on.

Btw, I don't like our depth at O-line.
I get your point Pops but the bottom line is that Jonathon Ogden played Guard his rookie season and turned out ok.

The position switch is an excuse to a certain degree but.......

This guy was supposed to be the next dominant tackle, at the moment I'm just hoping he can become an above average starter.

BTW you could substitute Jake Grove for Gallery as far as I am concerned.

Both of our future dominant lineman have so far been anything but.

Ironically enough I like McQuistin as a player.

IMO this team needs more blue collar guys like him and less flashy selfish fuckers ala Jerry Porter.

Langston Walker will get someone killed this year at RT but we are stuck with him for at least the season. Another fat unmotivated fucktard who can't put the leg of lamb down long enough to reduce his giant manboobs down to a C cup. I gave up hope with this fat bastard long ago. Never have I seen a physically bigger man play softer.

Simms isn't exactly the crushing run blocker I would have prefered at LG but he will be servicible for at least another season I think.

You're dead on with the line depth but you can only improve so much in one offseason.

8-8.

And on the right track as a team...

Finally.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

None of us like to digest the possibility that Grove and Gallery will struggle just to be ...... mediocre ...... linemen.

It IS possible that that will be the case though.

Definitely true that we need more 'blue collar' guys.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

poptart wrote:As an NFLer, to this point he's been about a 2+ on a 1-5 scale, IMO.
Gallery looks real familiar.......

Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

The day he was drafted.

Oh shit! :oops:
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

He'll be fine. He is finally at his natural position and has greats like Jackie Slater and Art Shell coaching him and monitoring him.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

Offensive linemen take time to develop - hell, even quarterbacks generally aren't thrust into a starting role within their first three seasons. That said, his development (or lack thereof) has to be at least a bit disconcerting considering he was dubbed "the one can't-miss player" in his draft class.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I think it's too early to make much of a judgement on Gallery. He played out of position last season, no way he's a RT. Norv takes the blame, but I wouldn't be surprised if Al had a hand in is slow development, by basically not playing a 2nd year player at LT.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
kcdave
crusader

Re: At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?

Post by kcdave »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
jossjeff wrote:At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?
The day he became a raiduh.
Fixed.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Re: At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?

Post by DallasFanatic »

kcdave wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
jossjeff wrote:At what point do we consider Gallery a bust?
The day he became a raiduh.
Fixed.
There ya go writing his takes again. All you KCTards are alike.

:lol:
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Gallery is fucking getting owned so far tonight.

Keneche Udeze (who?) slapped him aside like a little girl on an earlier sack.

My patience wears extremely thin right about now.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

False start....#76....

Just shoot me now.

Gallery should be forced to give up that number.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

My question is why wasn't the 1st string Oline playing the entire 1st half? It's not like they don't need the practice? Obviously there are injury concerns, but an Oline with as much inexperience as the RaiDuh's needs as many snaps as they can get in the pre-season to get up to speed. At this rate the Duh Oline will be an issue all season. Oh yeah, what the fuck do I care? :D
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

So far, Gallery looks pretty damn good on running plays and gets spun around on pass plays.
Dude has racked up way too many FS's in his young career.

I truly expected Gallery to show me what he is made of the short time he played in the Hall of Fame game.
I don't like what I saw but he is what he is...bustola. He's not a complete waste thus far but for a guy selected 1/2 he's not earning his paycheck.

I was truly disappointed in the Raiders for not going after OL help this offseason. The old men coaching can only do so much but the bottom line is the players heart, passion and talent.

Dude should shave his head - maybe take a leadership role on the line and make everybody shave their heads.

Wiggin' in Toostoned
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I don't like using first round picks on offensive linemen.

But keep in mind, I'm a Packer fan.

I'll never forget Reggie White (when playing for the Eagles) said that the most difficult thing about playing against Tony Mandarich was trying to avoid stepping on him.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Red wrote:Offensive linemen take time to develop - hell, even quarterbacks generally aren't thrust into a starting role within their first three seasons. That said, his development (or lack thereof) has to be at least a bit disconcerting considering he was dubbed "the one can't-miss player" in his draft class.
That's all true.

When R. Gallery was taken it was nearly universally believed that Oakland made the 'safe and solid' choice by taking him.

If it ends up that he can't even cut it at LT it would be a tough pill to swallow.

#2 overall picks in the draft don't come around all that often.

errr ..... at least we hope they don't. haha
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

I just watched the replay of the 9er/Raiders on NFL Network and I must say that Gallery and the offensive line looked a hell of a lot better. Night and Day

Here’s to this being a breakout game and just not a young Raider team taking advantage of a really bad 49er team.

Brooks found TE Courtney Anderson 3 times in the first quarter alone. Nice to see a new positional weapon being used.

Michael Huff – this kid is going to be a huge playmaker for the silver and black. The kid is articulate and is a real student of the game. Wants to be the best and is working his ass off to get there. Last night he looked great on run support and owned Alex Smith on the Int. ret of 44 yards.

Props to the Raiders for an all around well played game.

Like I was saying…Gallery and the boys just needed a little time to gel :mrgreen:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I guess Jake Grove got hurt in practice this week and is waiting results of an MRI.
The way Art was talking it didn't sound real encouraging.
I'm expecting Grove to be out for a while ..... if not for the entire year.

Fuck.

The thin O-line may have gotten even thinner.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

poptart wrote:The thin O-line may have gotten even thinner.

Tart,

I don't think I would characterize the Raiders' O-line as "thin". There in better shape than last year's train wreck which included Brad Badger starting much of the season.

Under the tutelage of Shell, Slater and Eatman, the starting 5 might be pretty decent.

Then you have Slaughter and Hulsey off the bench. I've also heard good things about there other two draft picks - Morris & Boothe.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2560225
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Raiders center Jake Grove received good news Thursday when doctors told him he will not need surgery on his injured left shoulder and is expected to miss less than a month.

"It's not as bad as what they thought it would be," said Grove, who feared he would miss 12 weeks if he needed an operation. "I'm not going to have to have surgery. Hopefully it will be 3-to-4 weeks at the most. It looks like I dodged a bullet this time."

Grove injured his shoulder on the first play of practice Tuesday and tried to play through it at first, but the pain became too much.

Grove underwent two MRIs and said doctors told him Thursday that the injury was only a muscle strain.

Grove will be replaced for now by Corey Hulsey, who started last week at left guard and played mostly as an extra tight end and on special teams last season.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

3-4 weeks is GREAT news.

Sfaf, I am hearing good things about Boothe.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Oakland beat the fuck out of Detroit on both sides of the ball last night.

Gallery wasn't great and gave up another two sacks but as a whole the line played better.

They seem to be gelling, it's a good thing to see.

Either that or we have played two shitty teams in a row.

Fabian Washington looks to be a real find from last years draft. How ironic is it that the second we kick CWood out of Oakland the CB position appears to be one of strength?

Huff took last night off but I expect big things from the guy.

Aso is solid and matches up well with big physical receivers.

Schweigert well ahem....I still don't like the guy but he is fast.

Burgess looked fast as hell coming off the edge and the D line as a whole was impressive. Not to mention that Morrison was a holy terror in the middle as well.

Defensively we are looking pretty damn good I have to say. After nearly two decades of watching my team get pushed around defensively we are finally stockpiling defensive talent.

Having actual linebackers on the roster is still something I'm adjusting to.

Brooks went deep to Moss early and oftten and looked like an actual NFL QB. Honestly I don't think a leopard changes his spots overnight but if he can just be somewhat competent we may be on to something here.

Jordan had a nice TD run and we actually are making use of the TE.

Baby steps.

4-0 is 4-0 preseason or not. Save it fuckers, after 13-35 I'll take what I can get in order to hopefully change the culture of losing.

Ok enough rambling, I'm hung over yet happy.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

BTW Where the fuck was Andrew Walter last night?

Christ Tui sucks ass.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Walter will play most of the game this Thursday, supposedly.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

jossjeff wrote:BTW Where the fuck was Andrew Walter last night?

He sat out this game due to arm fatigue.

Like SFF said, he is scheduled to go on thursday.

Fucking Gallery still looks like shit-at least his ass didnt literally get spun around this time en route to one of the sacks he gave up.

:roll:

Gallery is fucking emberassing to witness in pass protection-dude can sure mow fuckers down when it comes to the run, though. If 2 hall of fame linemen as coaches cant change Gallery, then nobody can.

We'll just have to see how this season plays out.

Also, RACK Curry's return to the lineup.
Raider Loco
Elwood

Post by Raider Loco »

If freaken hall of famer Art Shell who played the same position thought Barry Sims was a better fit he'd would have placed 'em there. Give coach Shell some time, he just needs better footwork and with his quick feet he's bound to get it. By half the season if he hasn't improved then I can call him a bust.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Raider Loco wrote:If freaken hall of famer Art Shell who played the same position thought Barry Sims was a better fit he'd would have placed 'em there. Give coach Shell some time, he just needs better footwork and with his quick feet he's bound to get it. By half the season if he hasn't improved then I can call him a bust.

Agreed.

Remember Gallery has not had a real set position since joining the Raiders. He is learning his LT position all over again. He'll be fine.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Raydah James wrote:
jossjeff wrote:BTW Where the fuck was Andrew Walter last night?

He sat out this game due to arm fatigue.

Like SFF said, he is scheduled to go on thursday.

Fucking Gallery still looks like shit-at least his ass didnt literally get spun around this time en route to one of the sacks he gave up.

:roll:

Gallery is fucking emberassing to witness in pass protection-dude can sure mow fuckers down when it comes to the run, though. If 2 hall of fame linemen as coaches cant change Gallery, then nobody can.

We'll just have to see how this season plays out.

Also, RACK Curry's return to the lineup.
Arm fatigue?

What has he thrown like 50 passes over a few games?

Tell me this is due to him working out like a mother during the offseason or something.

He was dinged last year as well, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

I was always under the impression that we passed on a QB at #7 overall because of the fact that we already had our future QB on the roster in Walter.

Neglected to mention Curry coming back, that was nice to see. Curry is a player I am rooting for in a big way. Maybe that overated piece of shit named Jerry Porter could watch him for a while and learn a thing or two about being a man.

Coming back from a 2nd torn achilles is a major uphill climb. With the Raiders having so much depth at WR he has a difficult challenge ahead of him to even make the opening day roster IMO.

Still it wasn't that long ago that Curry was this teams best WR. Him getting hurt yet again is just more proof that life isn't fair.

Art Shell deserves props at this point for bringing physical play back into Oakland. Under Turner this team was about as imposing as the local youth flag football team.

No more country club for the players, you are gonna work and if you don't like it just look over at #84 and see what his crying is doing for him so far.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Art, Curry, Walter.

Art: Gets high marks for re-establishing DIRECTION. Let's see if it translates into some regular season success. I think it will.

Curry: Great kid, and he can fill a need for us. Hope like hell he can stay healthy. I doubt it. Whatever good football can be squeezed out of him 'til he goes down again is gravy. Hope I'm wrong and he plays all 16 games.

Walter: I heard the 'tired' arm .... 'sore' arm thing. WTF? I have hopes for the guy, but durability is a MUST if you're gonna succeed at QB in the NFL.