What are your team's concerns going into training camp?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Th
PAT FAN

What are your team's concerns going into training camp?

Post by Th »

Patriots:

Cornerback
Depth at linbacker
Offensive line
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Lions:

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

Other than that we're in good shape.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Bengals
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

peter dragon wrote:Bengals
Fixed.

Nice to see Lewis following his Ravens handguide to the tee about how to draft and keep shitbags for human beings who can play ball.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

RJ, so how long youhave to run that sig?
Little change of events last weekend. :oops:
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

Andy's play calling- does he get to more 60-40 pass/run ratio.. or does he stay at 80/20? C-Buck's ability (or lack there of) to stay healthy, and the performance of the receiving corp.
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Areas of 'concern' for this Raider fan are nearly as numerous as the stars in a clear mid-summer sky.

Some points and players of interest:

1. How is the O-line going to come along ... ?
As outright SHITTY as the line was last season, this has got to be be priority #1.
Art has already tabbed Gallery as LT, Grove as Center and Sims as LG.
Appears RT is L. Walker's to lose.
RG is up for grabs ... ?
I like the common sense Mr Shell has shown so far.
Here's hoping this unit settles in and starts to DO A JOB.

2. What is the base defensive alignment going to be .... ?
Seems Son of Buddy still wants to go with a 3-4.
Myself, I lean toward them going 4-3, but I have to say that the current LB group finally appears that it could have enough depth and athleticism to make a 3-4 work.
Interested to see how this plays out.

Oakland's back 7 has got some SERIOUS speed.
I am really excited about the upside potential this group has.
Young, eager, athletic.

Players of particular interest:

Ron Curry.
Oakland needs a tough over the middle possession receiver to compliment Moss, Porter and Gabriel.
If Curry can bounce back from back-to-back season ending achilles blow outs, he could be the guy.
He's a sweet kid and I'd like nothing more than to see him contribute solidly this year.

Robert Gallery.
It's time for this man to settle in to the important left tackle spot and play like a #2 overall draft selection.

Andrew Walter.
I've read that he was VERY impressive in minicamp.
Really interested to see what he is able to bring to the table.

Justin Fargas.
Sure appears that Art is counting on him to be the 'change of pace' speed back that we really need.
I've been pretty much down on him the last couple of years, as he has NEVER gotten off, and injuries have nagged at him.
Can this guy actually produce for us ... ?
Doubts.

Sam Williams.
Mr potential.
A healthy Williams can really be a lift to the linebacking corp.
His ability is obvious, but his body has been like tissue paper.

Michael Huff.
Of course all of Raider Nation is excited to see how this talented kid progresses.
Tons of promise.

I could name MANY other players to watch, but this is a good list to begin with.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

BROWNS

so what if the Soldier is back?....who knows when Braylon will be back? will Droughnes be in Jail for spousal abuse?

it all comes down to the NEW LeCharles Bently led O-Line keeping Charlie Frye from not looking like David Carr.

the BROWNS will be competitive this year.

Frye will open a lot of eyes.

6-8 wins for the BROWNS this Year....almost as much as the fucking CUBS!
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Sin,
Pittsburgh Steelers
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Nice one Duane.

The most pressing concerns for the Steelers on offense are to sort out their rotation at RB, get Max Starks and Kendall Simmons to upgrade their level of play and determine if Cedrick Wilson is the real #2 reciever or if they need to throw Santonio to the wolves right away.

On defense, Brett Keisel needs to step up and fill Kimo's spot and they need to pray that Ryan Clark can hold down free saftey long enough for Anthony Smith to develop.

Oh, and a kick returner or two to fill Randle El's shoes would be nice.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

Denver needs a pass rush. Last season, despite an otherwise solid defense, they had the worst sacks to passing attempts ratio in the NFL... then waived their best defensive lineman. I don't know if there's anyone on the Browncos that can fill that void, but it needs filling for the team to take that next step.

I'm also concerned about the Dynamic Duo of Bell and Dayne. Bell has had durability issues and Dayne has... well... he's Ron Dayne. I don't see anyone else on the roster that even has the potential of being a featured back.

Thirdly, we need a tight end. Tony Scheffler might be the guy but he is still a rookie. I've heard whispers about Denver going after Erron Kinney, but I have my doubts about TEN's willingness to part with him given Troupe's injury history. Brandon Marshall moving to TE, maybe? Another rookie and changing positions to boot.

We shall see...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

WolverineSteve wrote:Lions:

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

Other than that we're in good shape.

That pretty much sums it up...
Dog
Elwood

Post by Dog »

Dolphins:

O-Line, AGAIN!!!!
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Bolts Ranked 1st. in the NFL in run defense and tewnty-freekin8th in pass defense. I see us getting even more pressure on the QB with Merriman and Castillo with another year under their belts.

Two glaring question marks...

1. Philip Rivers...Drew Brees had evloved into a confident signal caller and was a clutch performer. Who knows what Rivers will do.

2. Pass defense...Not since Stanley Richard and Rodney Harrison were back there have the Bolts been able to stay in the same zip code with opposing receivers.

The Bolts recent draft glut of CB's has made for little if any improvement IMO

I see the Blots stopping a lot of teams, but with Rivers I have to think our Red Zone production will take a significant dip.

9-7...playoffs doubtful unless Rivers turns into a Big Ben.
Last edited by ChargerMike on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

poptart wrote:Areas of 'concern' for this Raider fan are nearly as numerous as the stars in a clear mid-summer sky.
I dig it when 'tart waxes poetic, but this might be going just a touch overboard....not that pops would ever do that or anything.... :lol:
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

ChargerMike wrote:
unless Rivers turns into a Big Ben.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I was going to compare Oakland's numerous needs to the NK 'flares' lobbing over my head, but cancelled the idea.

Glad you liked my 2nd choice, Wagon.
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

defensive tackle

Big Ted is gone and I'm afraid this unit will get run all over unless SOMEBODY emerges at the tackle spot.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Red wrote: I'm also concerned about the Dynamic Duo of Bell and Dayne. Bell has had durability issues and Dayne has... well... he's Ron Dayne. I don't see anyone else on the roster that even has the potential of being a featured back.

only thing I'd disagree with Red.......

if he can stay healthy (and that's a big if) he has a lot of potential......
get out, get out while there's still time
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Buffalo:

QB.......still
O line....still
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Bucs:

- WR depth

- Chris Simm's ability to lead a team for a full season.

- Cadillac staying healthy.

- Defense will be nails as usual.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

1. Offensive Line - The big, pink elephant continues to roam unchecked throughout the room. Assuming this isn't the year the injury bug finally bites us in the ass, our OL should, once again, be among the best in the league; however, I can hear them bones creaking on the way back to the huddle, already.

Remember Oakland's last gasp? For several years, we hammered Tart and Co. with the AARP smack, and damned if didn't suddenly come true all at once. If Black and Sampson aren't able to adequately spell and fill, if necessary, Larry Johnson will be this year's fantasy bust. Despite the usual suspects (Shields and Roaf), my biggest fear is losing Wiegmann for an extended period.

2. Defensive Line - While this has been one of our Achilles' heel for several seasons now, there is actually some promise to be found ... maybe. I'll take a cautious approach and predict our DL to once again struggle early on in the season; however, I also think there's a good chance for this unit to gel around midseason and give the rest of the defense a little breathing room. As bad as our DL could be, our 'backers should be near the top of the league as an overall unit. If they can stem the bleeding early on from both a youthful DL and Herm's conservative, smash-mouth offensive approach, we'll be able to hang around late into the fourth quarter during tough road games and give the team opportunities to win.

I could easily say secondary here, as well, based on past seasons; however, I think our secondary is actually on the upswing. Not necessarily due to talent along the ranks, but due to our 'backers and potential for improvement along the DL. Signing Ty Law probably wouldn't hurt, but I'll continue banging my favorite drum ...

You build a defense front-to-back, not the other way around. A strong front seven will not only hide shortcomings in the secondary, it will produce MVP-caliber players (see Brown, Larry).

3. Wide Receiver - This could easily be the number one concern; however, like the DL, it's been this way for so long I'm almost numb to its effects. We've been spoiled by an exceptional OL and stellar running game for far too long in KC. As a result, Green has had time in the pocket to turn journeymen receivers into legitimate threats and also-rans into adequate chain-movers. I'd love to see someone emerge to take the heat off Kennison (or even push him to a more effective number two slot), but I don't see it happing ... yet. This could be the year the smoke and mirrors fade and folks realize what a huge difference Vermeil and Saunders made with this offense.

4. Quarterback - Say what you will about Priest and L.J., but Green is the glue that holds this team together. Any team would suffer losing their number one QB; however, our drop-off is so vast it's not even funny. If the OL concerns materialize, an aging Green's health absolutely moves to the front burner. Will continue praying for clean uniforms.

5. Running back - Yes ... with everyone under the sun predicting 4,000+ yards for LJ, this could be a stretch here, but I'd say he's more than likely to fall short of expectations for several reasons.

I've spent enough bandwidth on the OL already and, while I'm not a big proponent for FBs making a monster difference for rushers (Lorenzo Neal is STILL one of the most overhyped players of our time), the loss of Tony Richardson will be felt by this team. I'm guessing each and every time I see him mow down a linebacker for Chester Taylor this season, I'll buy into that overblown theory a little bit more.

Yet another concerning in this area ...

For all his talents, Priest Holmes has proven to be yet another in a long line of greedy, me-first SOBs that propagate our beautiful game. While most make no bones about this fact (see Owens, Terrel), Priest has taken a more conniving approach. Knowing full well LJ is the man, I could see a healthy Priest causing havoc behind the scenes should our offense struggle at all this season. While other teams deal with RB power struggles on a yearly basis and see few ill effects, considering how revered Holmes is in KC, this could prove to be the exception. I have a funny feeling that, if healthy, Holmes would sooner burn down the house than end his career in a back-up role.

One thing with LJ is certain though. If he CAN stay healthy, Edwards will ride him into the ground so fast we'll all remember Eddie George and Curtis Martin as change-of-pace backs. The injury bug could bite us in the ass here, as well, and probably will at some point ... just as it does most primary carriers over the course of a season.

6. The Herminator - I'm still not sure why all the fanfare for a coach that went 39-41 over the last five years and is known for killing offensive schemes. Carl got his guy, and we had to fleece him from another team in the process, so I guess that's reason to celebrate?

And save your "He was gone, anyway" e-mails ... I'm not going to read them. The fact that we only surrendered a fourth-round pick amidst tampering cries leads me to believe there's much more to this back story than anyone cares to admit.

To date, I think he's established himself as a poor-man's Tony Dungy, which isn't SUCH a bad thing considering Dungy was known as an offense-killer as little as three years ago ... shortly before the Indy triplets were unleashed on the league.

Amazing how good coaches get a lot better with prime talent, eh?

I think Kansas City has the talent to allow Herm to take a similar step.
Will he?

Your guess is as good as mine.

STILL loving this game.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Ah so to answer the question, I think it is safe to say this....

Foster/McNair

Other than that, I see no reason why either, especially Carolina can not make a run at The Super Bowl.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Awrsome take, not much to pick on, but I found a bone to gnaw.
orcinus wrote: ...considering how revered Holmes is in KC...
No "reverence" over here, boss.

King Carl drafted LJ for just such an eventuality as an injured Priest, and it paid off BIG time...(much to the astonishment of the DOTRF, other than moi).

Priest and his salary cap number need to be jettisoned like so much excess baggage. Yeah, he once put up some great numbers, got paid, now time to move the fuck on.

Totally not worried about that aging O-Line though. They'll continue to dominate.

As for losing T-Rich, now that worries me. One should never mis-under-estimate the contributions of a lead blocking FB. Tony Richardson is one of the best I've ever seen and could be sorely missed.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Sacks. Both literal and anatomical. We need to show we have a ballsack in the playoffs, especially in front of the hometown fans. But we also need a pass rush. We have a run stuffing DL.

Then there's Jake. See sig. He shuts off half the Denver playbook because he can't make quick decisions without fucking up. Hopefully Javon Walker can make him look better.

Other than that, we'll be sticking our cocks down the throats of the rest of the division, unless the Bolts can get their act together.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

Qbert wrote:BROWNS

so what if the Soldier is back?....who knows when Braylon will be back? will Droughnes be in Jail for spousal abuse?

it all comes down to the NEW LeCharles Bently led O-Line keeping Charlie Frye from not looking like David Carr.

the BROWNS will be competitive this year.

Frye will open a lot of eyes.

6-8 wins for the BROWNS this Year....almost as much as the fucking CUBS!
Offense: The Browns are going to rise and fall with Frye. Droughns will be fine. He didn't wear out last year so much as the Browns lost their line, went with a rookie QB, and lost Braylon Edwards. All teams had to do was concentrate on Droughns, and that is exactly what they did. As Frye goes, so goes the team. If Frye sucks, look for a 3-13 season.

Defense: Last year the D was adequate and kept the team in most games. This year they are improved. Big Ted Washington will provide an actual nose tackle and Wille McGinest will provide some pass rush. Every other role players job from last year just got easier. Leigh Bodden could be a breakout star.

Special Teams: Dennis Northcutt is still a bitch and will still run out of bounds every chance that he gets. Phil Dawson will not be allowed on the field unless the Browns offense gets close to the 20 yard line.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Shawn Marion wrote: Offense: The Browns are going to rise and fall with Frye. Droughns will be fine. He didn't wear out last year so much as the Browns lost their line, went with a rookie QB, and lost Braylon Edwards. All teams had to do was concentrate on Droughns, and that is exactly what they did. As Frye goes, so goes the team. If Frye sucks, look for a 3-13 season.

cool with that.

Defense: Last year the D was adequate and kept the team in most games. This year they are improved. Big Ted Washington will provide an actual nose tackle and Wille McGinest will provide some pass rush. Every other role players job from last year just got easier. Leigh Bodden could be a breakout star.

yep...and Chaun Thompson could finally show his potential 'cuz McGinest will be getting attention. Bodden's gonna be HUGE--->anything to get Daylon to Nickelback.

vvvvvvv

Special Teams: Dennis Northcutt is still a bitch and will still run out of bounds every chance that he gets. Phil Dawson will not be allowed on the field unless the Browns offense gets close to the 20 yard line.

^^^^^^^

FUCKIN'A RACK!!!!!!

put fucking Northcutt in a Black and Gold #32 jersey and call him fucking FRANCO!

Dawson? well, he only misses inside of the 40 when it matters.

can i actually get a WOOF up in this Biiiitch?????

...its been a LONG Time since there has been more than 1 BROWNS rep on Board--->so, Shawn---->please feel to STAY!

Go BUCKS and BROWNIES!
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

orcinus wrote: This could be the year the smoke and mirrors fade and folks realize what a huge difference Vermeil and Saunders made with this offense.
Yes, by about week 5, Chef fan will look up at his team's 2-3 record, scratch his head, and wonder how the hell the offense can be averaging just 12 pts a game.

I frankly think this is the season KC's defense starts to look like an NFL unit.
Unfortunately I see the offense heading the other direction.

Just my opinion.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Can Julius Jones stay healthy?
Can the O-line keep Bledsoe on his feet?
Will TO melt like a bitch?
Will the left side of the defensive line apply a pass rush?

All valid concerns heading into training camp.
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

Qbert wrote:yep...and Chaun Thompson could finally show his potential 'cuz McGinest will be getting attention. Bodden's gonna be HUGE--->anything to get Daylon to Nickelback.

...its been a LONG Time since there has been more than 1 BROWNS rep on Board--->so, Shawn---->please feel to STAY!

Go BUCKS and BROWNIES!
First, I don't know how big of a chance Thompson is going to get. What I've been hearing is that they are letting him and D'Qwell compete for the starting MLB spot opposite Andra. I definitely think he is better suited to play inside than outside since he apparently has zero pass rushing instincts. I don't know, I hope he succeeds but we'll see.

Second, I have no problem sticking around to talk some NFL but sometimes it gets difficult when your team is out of it by the 4th week and you can't even have fun and watch the rookies b/c they are always on the IR. Christ, this team can't even go an off season w/o trying to fire their GM.

I'd be estatic with an 8-8 year. I will take 7-9.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

DallasFanatic wrote:Can Julius Jones stay healthy?

Can Julius Jones stay healthy? He's given no reason for anyone to believe he can. To answer your question..NO

Can the O-line keep Bledsoe on his feet? Bledsole can't keep Bledsole on his feet..Again, NO

Will TO melt like a bitch? Does DOTRF over-hype LJ? Of course TO will melt and the Tuna will win this one.

Will the left side of the defensive line apply a pass rush? Not likely!
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote: Larry Johnson might have 1000 yards by Week 5, so I'm pretty sure a 2-3 record at that juncture AIN'T happening.

Having said that, barring any significant injuries, the offense shouldn't drop off much at all- Trent knows it as good or better than OC Mike Solari does, so they should be status quo. The deletion of T-Rich worries me, though.
With blanket statements like these, Paul, it's no wonder you're still the forum punching bag. Wishing something to happen isn't the same as objective analysis.

I bet it you get invited to all the poker parties, though ... props for that.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Shawn Marion wrote:
Qbert wrote:yep...and Chaun Thompson could finally show his potential 'cuz McGinest will be getting attention. Bodden's gonna be HUGE--->anything to get Daylon to Nickelback.

Go BUCKS and BROWNIES!
First, I don't know how big of a chance Thompson is going to get. What I've been hearing is that they are letting him and D'Qwell compete for the starting MLB spot opposite Andra. I definitely think he is better suited to play inside than outside since he apparently has zero pass rushing instincts. I don't know, I hope he succeeds but we'll see.

Second, I have no problem sticking around to talk some NFL but sometimes it gets difficult when your team is out of it by the 4th week and you can't even have fun and watch the rookies b/c they are always on the IR. Christ, this team can't even go an off season w/o trying to fire their GM.

I'd be estatic with an 8-8 year. I will take 7-9.
Shawn

as to your 1st point...so, the BROWNS might actually have some DEPTH at LB?

a Depth Chart of anykind would be VERY refreshing!

i HEAR you about Chaun...i'm puzzled about how he can't utilize his speed to get to the QB. maybe he's been schemed "otherwise?" (fucking MagOOooo!)

as to your 2nd point....why do you think i MOD here?

i sure as hell don't have a lot of things to POST about!!!!!!!!!

stick around....PISSBURG Still SUCKS and Cincinnati Still SWALLOWS! Plus, the CROWS take it like the PRISON BIIIIITCHES that they ARE!

<insert upcoming retort> BROWNSTAINS....look at the Scoreboard</insert upcoming retort>

EAD! :D
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote: O' Great Beached Whale, the part I bolded was EXAGERRATION....surely even somebody of your lofty status got that- I'm guessing almost everybody else here DID. :meds:
The sad part Paul is that with your past posts- it is conceivable to believe you weren't exagerating
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

ChargerMike wrote:

Can Julius Jones stay healthy? He's given no reason for anyone to believe he can. To answer your question..NO

Can the O-line keep Bledsoe on his feet? Bledsole can't keep Bledsole on his feet..Again, NO

Will TO melt like a bitch? Does DOTRF over-hype LJ? Of course TO will melt and the Tuna will win this one.

Bitter?

Sincerely,

28-24

:lol:
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

DallasFanatic wrote:
ChargerMike wrote:

Bitter?

Sincerely,

28-24

:lol:

Bingo :wink:
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

A lot of good takes in this thread.

CM is pretty much right on with the Bolts, Rivers is the biggest question mark along with the oline. Obviously the better the oline plays the faster Rivers will get up to speed. What concerns me is the Chargers really haven't brought any experinced FA OL's in, so it's the same group as last season albeit healthier and with the addition of rookie Marcus McNeill.

Rookie CB Antonio Cromartie looks like a project and probably won't contribute much this season. I do think the defensive front 7 will be solid though.

I expect the Chargers will improve as the season progresses, and hopefully contend for a playoff spot.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm a Niners fan...my major concern is that they might not be able to secure the #1 pick in the 2007 draft.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Dinsdale wrote:I'm a Niners fan...my major concern is that they might not be able to secure the #1 pick in the 2007 draft.
Brady Quinn would look good in a Niners uni. Just sayin'.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

The Niners won't be drafting a QB in the top 5 for a while I'm afraid. Financially impossible. Not to mention they should be gun shy.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.