The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Kobe Thread

Post by indyfrisco »

Not started by WoverineSteve though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2459075
The fresh start Amare Stoudemire hopes to make next season doesn't stop at the knees.

Stoudemire, never shy about proclaiming his potential for greatness, will be wearing a new jersey in 2006-07 -- No. 1 -- after a '05-06 season in which he was limited to three games because of two knee surgeries.

ESPN.com has learned that Stoudemire formally applied to the league before the March 3 deadline to change his jersey number from 32 to 1 starting next season. For a player to change numbers without being traded, he must have worn the same number for at least four seasons and complete the application process.

Suns rookie Dijon Thompson wore No. 1 this season. Stoudemire has worn No. 32 since the Suns selected him ninth overall in the 2002 draft and sported No. 12 as a member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team.

Stoudemire this week confirmed the number change to ESPN.com but said he prefers to address the switch after the season.

The only other player in the league to apply for a number change for next season is the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, who's moving from No. 8 to No. 24.

League rules dictate that Stoudemire and Bryant will have to keep their new numbers for a minimum of three seasons.
OK, so I remember after the Colorado incident hearing that Kobe jerseys weren't even in the top 10 in sales anymore. Not sure where his jersey sales are now that he paid off the plaintiff, but this changing of the jersey is obviously screaming "Buy my jersey again please!"

I guess he's going to go to Sierra Mist next year. Adidas as well. :roll:
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

All Kobe all the time!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

WolverineSteve wrote:All Kobe all the time!

:lol:

Keep the Kobe posts alive----Next week I will be in the Sequoias chasing bears....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

I guess when I see stat lines of 81 points and 2 assists or 51 points and no assists....I have to wonder. How much does he get the rest of team involved. And that is the conundrum.....how can someone be so talented and not make those around you better. I will spare you the MJ comparisons, but I feel that role players are role players. Maybe they don't buy into Kobe as a leader. Maybe the chemistry is not there. I don't know, but if Shaq wins a title this year you can be well assured that Kobe will hear it....laker fans too. Shaq is playing like Shaq of old and it has to kill you guys. I feel he elevates everyone around him. You must agree with that.

I have never been an excuse guy which it seems many laker fans have become recently. Kobe is in his PRIME right now and shouldn't be struggling at .500. (insert Kupchak excuse or teammate excuse) Bottom line, do not mistake effort for results. The sum is the sum.

Now, do I see intangibles or the ability latent in Kobe. No, I never have. This is his first stint as a leader and I think he is failing miserably. I think his score first attititude is really his personality. It's second nature to him. It's part of him. His selfishness will always boil to the top because he can't help it. It's a mentality he has had since a child and being a phenom at such a young age only fed it over the years. It's rooted deep inside him. That's okay. LA just need to make a play for someone like a KJ so Kobe can play his role of being the score first guy. The Pippen(he is better than Pip- I am just using it as an analogy). The finisher. Again, this is just opinion but do feel Kobe is living up to my description currently better than what you hope he becomes.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07