WHo was it that Said IRaq was a success?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

WHo was it that Said IRaq was a success?

Post by Mister Bushice »

Apparently they were a little off in their calculations. Some facts and figures on how we have made it WORSE, not better.
Time Running Out for Rebuilding of Iraq

By CHARLES J. HANLEY, AP Special Correspondent 42 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - In their makeshift offices in a former Baghdad palace, a small army of American builders and engineers, oilmen and budgeteers is working overtime on last-minute projects to help reconstruct
Iraq.

Their time is running short, their money running out.

After three years in which the U.S. government allocated more than $20 billion for Iraq reconstruction, a bill now making its way through Congress adds only $1.6 billion this year, just $100 million of it for construction — not for building schools or power stations, but for prisons.

Does the sharp cut in aid surprise and disappoint the planners here? "Probably both," said Michael P. Fallon, U.S. reconstruction program chief.

But "the program in general has been very successful," he said in an interview — "with the caveat that it hasn't gone as far as we thought we'd be able to go."

The ambitions of 2003, when
President Bush spoke of making Iraq's infrastructure "the best in the region," have given way to the shortfalls of 2006, in electricity and water supply, sanitation, health facilities and oil production. A University of Maryland poll in January found strong majorities of Iraqis hopeful about their country's future in general, but only one in five thought the Americans had done a good job on reconstruction.

Even after billions were spent on power plants and substations, electricity generation still hasn't regained the level it had before the U.S. invasion of 2003. When Fallon's experts keep the lights burning late, they're relying on emergency U.S. generators in their "Green Zone" enclave, since the rest of Baghdad gets power only a few hours a day.

Barely one-third of the water-treatment projects the Americans planned will be completed. Only 32 percent of the Iraqi population has access to clean drinking water now, compared with 50 percent before the war, according to the U.S. special inspector-general for Iraq reconstruction.

About 19 percent of Iraqis today have working sewer connections, compared with 24 percent before 2003.

Of more than 150 planned health clinics, only 15 have been completed, under a contract ending this month.

Oil production, meanwhile, has stagnated, averaging 2.05 million barrels a day in mid-March, short of the 2.5 million-a-day U.S. goal, and far short of Iraq's production peak of 3.7 million in the 1970s. Fewer than one-quarter of the rehabilitation projects for the oil industry have been completed.

Iraq's insurgency dealt a major blow to the rebuilding efforts, leading U.S. officials in 2004 to begin siphoning off reconstruction money to help train Iraqi police and military forces, build prisons and pay for private security for projects already under way.

Washington from the beginning also underestimated Iraq's needs, how badly its infrastructure had suffered from wars, the devastating looting of 2003, and neglect through years of U.N. economic sanctions and
Saddam Hussein's rule. Now, says the special inspector-general, Stuart Bowen, the need for more aid "has reached a critical point."

But rather than sending more rebuilding money, the U.S. effort this year will shift toward "sustainability" — to an oversight role, to training Iraqis to maintain what has been built, and to urging others to fill the aid gap.

"I think we've been pretty clear that we never intended to fix the entire infrastructure," said Kathye Johnson, Fallon's boss as reconstruction director for the U.S. projects agency in Iraq, the Gulf Region Division-Projects and Contracting Office.

"Fixing" Iraq's infrastructure would probably cost at least $70 billion, experts estimate. Johnson and other U.S. officials say that money should begin to come from other foreign donors and the Iraqi government itself.

But prospects for that are uncertain.

More than two years ago, other foreign governments and international institutions pledged more than $13.5 billion in Iraq aid, but thus far barely $3.2 billion has been spent.

Donors continue to shun this dangerous country; the
World Bank, front-line lender elsewhere, hasn't even opened an office in Baghdad. The Bush administration is pressing Persian Gulf states, in particular, to help their fellow Arabs in Iraq.

As for Iraq's own money, lagging oil exports leave it with nothing to spare.

The U.S. Embassy estimates Iraq must export 1.65 million barrels a day just to begin accumulating funds for repairing more roads and leaking water pipes, laying sewer lines, rebuilding hospitals and making other capital improvements. But in early March its foreign sales averaged only 1.38 million barrels.

"It is unclear how Iraq will finance these additional requirements," U.S. congressional auditors said in a recent study.

That budget gap will cripple the Iraqis as they try to pick up where the U.S. government leaves off. They estimate they'll need $20 billion to rebuild the electricity system alone. On water treatment, Ghazi Naji Majid, director-general of the Public Works Ministry, says plans for six major plants are on hold "until the money becomes available."

Even where there's money, plans can stall. Majid said his ministry has stopped building a water-treatment plant in
Abu Ghraib, just outside Baghdad, "because workers were being kidnapped and killed." Within a few days last month, in the northern city of Beiji, attackers killed 12 men — engineers and others — who worked for the important local oil refinery and power plant.

Insurgency, lack of money, widespread corruption, inadequate training, poor maintenance — all threaten to undercut even what's been accomplished. Congressional auditors, from the
Government Accountability Office, went back to check completed water-treatment plants in Iraq and found that one-quarter of them were operating below capacity or not at all.

To preserve what's been done, to aid "sustainability," the 2006 U.S. budget allocates almost $300 million to operations and training at new or rebuilt power and water plants and other facilities.

"What you don't want to happen is for facilities to fail because they didn't know which part was broken, or they didn't have the part," said David Leach, in charge of capacity development for the U.S. projects agency.

Leach sees a "high risk with the investments we've made." Iraq's violence can make it difficult for trainers and trainees even to get to their work sites, he said.

"A lot of trips get canceled," he said.

One project, the Balad Ruz water-treatment plant 40 miles north of Baghdad, will become a test case in this transitional year. The Americans supervised the building and purchase of equipment for the plant, but after June 1 the Iraqis must install the equipment and lay 25 miles of pipe to deliver water to some 55,000 residents.

"It's meant to start to develop their talent for finishing projects," said Air Force Col. John Medeiros, project overseer. "It's a case of 'Let's give you something to galvanize yourself around.'"

The special inspector-general wonders, however, how well a Baghdad government will "galvanize." In his January report to Congress, Bowen recommended that instead the Americans should keep their hand in reconstruction for three or four more years.

Far from the halls of Congress and such budget decisions, the U.S. project managers here work with their spreadsheets and blueprints in the cavernous rooms of what once was a museum to Saddam. They haven't given up on possible major new infusions of U.S. money.

"We've just gone through a drill: If you get additional funding, what would you do with it?" said Tom Waters, deputy director for electricity. Fallon, a civil engineer and 30-year-plus veteran of the Army Corps of Engineers, said a contingency plan has been drafted that would "take us to the next levels."

But so far no one's showing them the money.

"The question is, when do you pull the plug?" Fallon said. "We stand that risk of maybe taking a step or two back if we walk out. I'm concerned."

If it's left to the Iraqis and the insurgency rages on, he said, "I don't know if they'll ever make it."
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

A trillion dollar waste with a billion dollar spin = Poetic Justice American Style
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

What a collosal fucking waste. We ripped the lid off of Hell to pull a demon out of there, and put him on trial. We won't be able to get the lid back on.

How's that trial going, anyway? 'Bout ready for some results there, for Pete's sake?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

^
No Shit:

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

And to add insult to injury, they came up with another mess load of charges that they will be laying on the whinny pompass.
The way it's going, Sadamn will have to live to be 200 before the world gets to hear the final verdict.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

If Kerry had just won, OSB would have been caught, we would be out of Iraq, order would have been restored, and the rest of the world would be in love w/ us.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

^
If pigs had wings they would be eagles, and I can not understanding anyone still betting on that lame horse.

Rah Rah Party Loyalty is one thing, but with Bu$h Corp killing America on so many fronts, that should be enough for the partisan washed to drop their blinders just long enough to stand up for their country before they can no longer recognize what it was they once loved about it.

P_Uglies need to Wake Up Now.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Cicero wrote:If Kerry had just won, OSB would have been caught, we would be out of Iraq, order would have been restored, and the rest of the world would be in love w/ us.
1. Who the fuck is "OSB"? Could you have meant OBL?

2. Kerry made no promises to pull out of Iraq. Though by now I suspect he would have found some face saving way to get the hell out of that tarpit.

3. Order will NEVER be restored. Order is an illusion sold by politicans to those too scared to face their fears.

4. The rest of the world will never love us. However, when Clinton was in office America was respected by the international community as a whole. Bush is losing allies for this country left and right.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Coming soon to a theatre near you: Italy.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

We are speaking of War Allies. The new Italian government is strongly opposed to the war.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Check the thread title, check the post contents. We're discussing the war here, and war allies is what I interpreted Bsmack meaning.

Maybe he meant something else, but not me.

And I'll bet italy is out of Iraq before the summer is over.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

One less Ally in iraq at a time when things are teetering on civil war, if it hasn't already gone there.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Or us, for that matter.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Not well enough.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Sorry, the civil war out front should have told you we aren't exactly succeeding over there.

Not to mention that fact that the rebuilding effort will result in us leaving the place WORSE off than it was before we got there.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking "How much money are we going to continue to pour into a country that isn't even interested in saving itself?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Bah. That is YOUR Answer. Without any appreciable change in the conditions in Iraq, and again, they aren't even capable of saving themsleves from their own hate, That flow of money will begin to slow.

Tell me - - exactly when does 25-40 people killed a day in endless bombings, gun battles and sectarian violence stop being an insurgency and start being a civil war?