i need a decent but easy pesto recipe.

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

i need a decent but easy pesto recipe.

Post by lovebuzz »

i'm thinken that somebody around here's posted one before...

please help !
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

fresh basil (lots)
pine nuts - if they're raw then toast them a little in a hot skillet
parmesan cheese, a big pile, freshly grated- it has to be the real thing, not the stuff that comes in a can
garlic - as much as you can stand
EVOO
hot water
salt and pepper to taste

I can't tell you the amounts -- just whatever tastes right

grind all the dry stuff together in a food processor.
Add the EVOO
Add the hot water until you get the right consistency

Sorry I can't add more detail. I cook by touch, feel, appearance and taste.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Mmmm... pesto. You can make pesto from any combination of herbs/nuts/garlic/olive oil.

Mikey's looks great.

My favorites are:

--arugula/toasted walnut/toasted garlic/parm-reg/evoo (heat up the oil for a few minutes in a pan with the garlic cloves in it. they shouldn't burn if you use a good 1/3-1/2c. oil.)

--basil/toasted walnut/garlic/kalamata olive/pecorino romano/evoo

--same as the arugula one, but flat-leaf parsley instead

Pesto is so good, so many ways, on so many things...

All you need is a food processor and your imagination, really.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I truly believe that pesto is one of God and GOD's special gifts to mankind.

Yes, I think I may have to make some tonight to go with the swordfish and 'chokes that I've been saving since Sunday. Something with a lot of chocolate in it for dessert. It's Fat Tuesday after all.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

If nothing but basil is to strong for your tastes, you can use essentially any green leaf veggie to help cut the intensity. I was short some Basil for super bowl, so I used some spinach to add bulk. It came out real nice. I'll use whatever nut I have in the freezer. Toasted hazlenuts being my favorite (s'up pp?) as they add a great depth to the flavor. I also add sea salt after I'm done processing it all, and give it a quick pulse or two to mix. It adds some texture as well as flavor.

My favorite way to serve the pesto is for dipping bread. I'll plate some pesto in the center of a plate, surround it with EVOO, drizzle balsamic vinegar all over the pesto and EVOO and the grate more fresh parm on top.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I made some last night and put it on angel hair pasta, and also had some good bread for dipping.

It was great, but I'm still tasting garlic this morning. Next time I may try sauteeing it first.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Headhunter wrote:If nothing but basil is to strong for your tastes, you can use essentially any green leaf veggie to help cut the intensity. I was short some Basil for super bowl, so I used some spinach to add bulk. It came out real nice. I'll use whatever nut I have in the freezer. Toasted hazlenuts being my favorite (s'up pp?) as they add a great depth to the flavor. I also add sea salt after I'm done processing it all, and give it a quick pulse or two to mix. It adds some texture as well as flavor.

My favorite way to serve the pesto is for dipping bread. I'll plate some pesto in the center of a plate, surround it with EVOO, drizzle balsamic vinegar all over the pesto and EVOO and the grate more fresh parm on top.
I rarely salt pesto, because there's already so much salt in the cheese... BUT... I have this really cool Hawaiian sea salt that has an awesome "crunch". (I first tasted it at farallon, where they sprinkle it on the butter they serve with their bread... it's red! Well, reddish-orange...)

That might be interesting.

For the hazelnut thing, you should really be shot.

And spinach is OK, but arugula is SO MUCH BETTER (in pesto).

The one I listed above that has olives in it, that one is a recipe I swindled out of one of our favorite Italian restaurants. They serve it, chopped tomatoes/basil, and pecorino romano with their bread. it's fantastic. We've done it for parties as part of a bruschetta platter, it was a huge hit, even among those who don't (know they) like olives.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Yeah, I'm not really after so much of the salt flavor added to the total mixture as I am the "crunch" with a flavor burst. If you're gonna go the sea salt route, you definitely don't want to process it in. Just a quick pulse to incorporate.

I usually don't do anything other than straight Basil. I grow it every year, and a good plant supplies more Basil than you can use in a year. I fucked up and forgot to cover my basil during a freeze here, so I've got to start another one soon. I actually had to pay for Basil which pissed me off. Those rapists at the store wanted $1.99 for a small bunch.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

thanks a bunch, guys... keepers noted.

mikey - i cook the same way when using stuff i'm familiar with. sometiems though, recipes/measurements are helpful, especially when cooking in (for?) quantity. say, 250 in quantity.

i like straight basil, no spinach or arugula (ick) needed.

i'm guessing this one's going to look fairly dumb, but what is EVOO ?
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

extra virgin olive oil.

duh.

*jumps start brain*

extra virgin is lighter, no ?

i always get super green, dark olive oil, my whacked out holistic turbanhead Sikh doctor says it has far more health benefits.

is this true, at all ?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Extra virgin is usually the darker one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Usually, it's harder to get the cap off the extra-virgin stuff.

OK, I'll get off the stage now,

Oh, and did I mention that essentially all domestic hazelnuts come from.....nevermind.....sup pp?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

Mikey wrote:Extra virgin is usually the darker one.
screw me for being one of those consumers that doesn't even really know what i buy, half of the time.

grocery shopping sucks. it's one of those things that i just go through the motions of, ugh.

i always by my olive oil in some big square tin, and i dunno.

sometimes i'm retarded, that is all.

thanks for the above suggestions.

ppanther - i'm still wondering, is the stuff they say true about the supposed health benefits of darker olive oil ?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxificat ... ve-oil.htm
But while all types of olive oil are sources of monounsaturated fat, EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil, from the first pressing of the olives, contains higher levels of antioxidants, particularly vitamin E and phenols, because it is less processed.