Favorite song to sing Karaoke to?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Favorite song to sing Karaoke to?

Post by patsy stone »

Karaoke has turned into a normal Friday night outing for me and my friends. We go to this hole-in-the-wall bar filled with old, bearded drunk men and WT types. But lotsa people go there straight from our other usual watering hole in the 'hood, and before ya know it, it's filled with cool people like ME. ;) It's a good time. The stage is back in the corner, so no one can really see you, and no one really cares how you sound.

Anyway, I try to do something different every time, but so far, my best songs have been "So Alive" by Love & Rockets and "Take It On The Run" by REO Speedwagon. And my best friend thinks I kick ass at "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna but I don't think so.

Anyone else embarrass themselves in public?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Off the top of my head, these are a few songs I've belted out whilst drunk off my ass.

Kashmir
Whole Lotta Love
When the Levee Breaks
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Sympathy For The Devil
Dirty Deeds
Possum Kingdom
Taxi
He Stopped Loving Her Today
5:15
Helter Skelter
Squeeze Box
Mack The Knife
Ziggy Stardust
Whiter Shade Of Pale
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Tangled Up In Blue
Like A Rolling Stone

I don't have a favorite song. It's all about having a reason to be out drinking your face off. ;)
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

the Jeffersons theme song gets hands clappin.

Bohemian Rhapsody
Hey Joe
anything by James Brown
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Anything by Frank Sinatra.

My best friend from the MD/DC area is a big Bowie fan, so he favors "Space Oddity".
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

My one buddy is a huge karaoke freak. He goes all out...dresses up in costumes but can't sing worth a lick and doesn't get loaded when he does it. Where's the fun in that? I think karaoke is Japanese for 'singing while intoxicated'. I, on the other hand, can't sing without a few alcohol beverages flowing through my bloodstream. It definitely helps calm the nerves but doesn't make me any better of a singer. I've only sang three songs (solo) in my brief karaoke career...

Whole Lotta Love
Rock 'N Roll All Nite
Hungry Like The Wolf

I'll join my friends up there for a group effort which is fun if it's the right song. Usually the story with me is I usually don't get psyched up to sing solo until the end of the night and I've had it on a few occasions where I'd be in line to sing but my friends are ready to head home.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Folsom Prison Blues
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

Just a few medleys I've belted out in a stupefied state:

Hell's Bells
Danny Boy
Thunderball
Seasons in the Sun
Ace of Spades
You belong to me
House of the Rising Sun
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

truckin'
dy'er mak'er
love on the rocks
sorry about that whammy!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

duran duran, hilarious

i've sung you could be mine and rocket queen a few times, as well as an epic hunger strike in dallas in october 03.

other than that, i despise karaoke.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

80s Pop Bubble Gum tunes are fucking hilarious to karaoke to.

Phil Collins - Sussudio
Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing At All
Talking Heads - Once In a Lifetime
Hall & Oates - You Make My Dreams
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

"Okie From Muskogee" is always a fun one.

I was at a place once that had "Ænema" by Tool. I was so shocked to see that on a karaoke list that I had to sing it. The scrolling lyrics bleeped out all the f-bombs, but I didn't.

The most fun I've ever had singing karaoke though was in fucking Lincoln, NE, of all places. This band Shithook used to play live karaoke at Duffy's every Thursday night (they still might, for all I know). They would basically just let you be their lead singer for a song. It was awesome. They had the lyrics for a bunch of songs printed out, but they also knew a ton more songs if you already knew the lyrics. I sang "Red House" with them one time and got a huge ovation. The song only has 6 lines, but the dude tore it up on the solo. They also knew "Sweet Home Alabama," so one night I wrote down all the lyrics to "Gangster of Love" by the Geto Boys and my friend and I rapped. People used to come up to me years later to say how great that was.
"Keys, woman!"
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:so one night I wrote down all the lyrics to "Gangster of Love" by the Geto Boys
You had to write them down?

amateur

EDIT: who is the "amatuer" that can't spell amateur correctley?
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Shawn Marion wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:so one night I wrote down all the lyrics to "Gangster of Love" by the Geto Boys
You had to write them down?

amateur

EDIT: who is the "amatuer" that can't spell amateur correctley?
Well, I knew about 95% of it by heart, but some of that dirrrrrty south drawl is hard to make out. There are still one or two parts where I have no idea WTF they are saying.

Plus, the "Sweet Home Alabama" version has Bushwick, Willie D, and Akshen (Mr. Scarface), and I was trying to arrange it for only two MCs. The original version (off of Grip It On That Other Level) with the Steve Miller sample, only had Willie D and Akshen. So I tried to use that as a prototype.
"Keys, woman!"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

My Way - Sinatra
Bad Bad Leroy Brown - Croce
See See Rider - Elvis
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

"Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.