what's in yer bag?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

what's in yer bag?

Post by King Crimson »

i've got an old set of PING EYE II's (those are MY clubs) but i'm playing with a set of i3's my dad "dumped" on me--with a set of Cobra Metals that are sweet. I'm not too current, but they are good sticks.

Putter: i've been an Anser guy since high school, but have a Scotty Cameron "X" mallet that is about the hottest thing going (at least on the carpet of the crib ;))
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: what's in yer bag?

Post by Dinsdale »

New board, new forum, new crew.....and you had to go and post that......

What's in my bag?

That's a good freaking question. Since my last 9(on a par 36, anyway), I'm not sure. I foolishly left my bag in the back of my truck, while I ran into my golfing bud's place for a few minutes(right before Christmas, no less).....and go ahead and finish the story yourself.

King Crimson wrote: Putter: i've been an Anser guy
OK, the heartbreak is now complete. I was given an old-school Anser, which was my freaking baby. Brass head with the stainless insert. Was in my bag, too. That's the one that really pissed me off. The rest of it, I scored some fat deals on, so it wasn't so much the monetary loss. Besides the putter, I was in to that set for less than $100(not sure how I pulled that off).

But I'll take a trip down memory lane -- I saw some clubs at a garage sale down the street. Normally, you'd drag me kicking and screaming to a garage sale, but someting about the clubs caught my eye. Bought a set of Wilson 1200 Oversize, used once, for $30. There's nicer clubs out there, but those suckers are way easy to hit, and as much as I often drink while playing, anything that makes the ball go straighter is good. Those huge cavity back heads made working it left or right a little tougher, but I suck bad enough that shot-shaping isn't a big deal to me. I dig the steel shafts on the short irons. As far as the woods, I did OK. My buddy's dad(who I will relate a bitching golf story about soon) is getting pretty old, about 75 now. He's a diehard. He got this wild hair that he wanted to check out some new stuff, so he started browsing e-bay. He put in ridiculously low bids on a bunch of stuff, figuring he wouldn't win any of the auctions. Lo and behold, all kinds of clubs started showing up at his door. Sold me a set of new-in-the-wrapper Wilson Prostaffs, 1 3 and 5, for what he paid with the shipping, which worked out to $60. Add to that my favorite old cheapy sandwedge(don't know about you guys, but I like the rounded blades on the SW(hey sounds like a good topic for down the road). I guess I kindasorta got over, since the shaft of the driver was too short for my liking -- I think it was a -1, when my lanky ass like a standard at minimum, +1 preferred.

So my bag, save for one hellasweet putter, was pretty darn cheap and effective, for my level of play, anyway.

But as far as what's in it now, you'll have to ask the tweeker who ganked it.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was given a Ping I-330 driver with a busted shaft a while back. Since I'm now equipment shopping, should I look into that, or are the days of stainless past?

One of my golfing buddies(who has MAD game-btw), is apparently going to "suprise" me with a set of Tommy Armours the next time we go out. RACK him.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

that sucks about your clubs D. i had a simliar type soul theft experience with a storage space and my CD collection...when my friend who i split the space stopped paying the bill for the space unknown to me. hundreds of CD's, gone.

i say take any charity you can. as i said, my old man is heckuva a player but is running through sets of irons like shit through a baby these days. so, i take the i3's off his hands. i'm good for a while. if could dream it i'd like to get a set of the more traditional looking blades that Mizuno is making. My grandma always said to learn to accept other people hospitality. ;)

i'd say get the Ping D reshafted and regripped. can't hurt.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i think if you put your mind to it and were willing to be patient there's a lot of good things to be had on ebay. i bought a Mizuno TP Mills putter that lists for like 250$ for less than half that (brand new) with some xtra holiday money. it was a cheap thrill, but i hit this putter once and loved it. now i have one. i'm not made of $$$ but it was just too good to pass up.

i'm not a fetishist when it comes to equipment, but a putter you like is worth something.

my anser is over 25 years old.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've got a friend with an original(60's, or whenever they came out?)Anser, in the brass head, with the funny channel/groove thing in the bottom. He says there's an emerging collector's market for old Asners. Don't know anything about it myself, but he says he's been offered fat coin for his, which he won't part with.

But hey......at least mine is gone.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Update:

I went and played a round with my MADGAME having golf buddy, who gave me not just an iron set, but a whole freaking bag full of clubs. I can't remember what the driver was, which I probably blocked from my mind since I think I hit a grand total of 1 or 2 fairways with it. Can't remember what the fairway woods are, either, but I'm pretty sure the 3W is defective, since I couldn't put that one down the middle, either(remember -- always blame the arrow, not the Indian). The 5W is apparently not warped or defective, since it launched some sweet bombs.

The irons.....oh my. Tommy Armour T100 pure titaniums. Spendy shit. These suckers are insane. Wonderful for a duffer like me. 100% titanium heads, 100% graphite shafts. Sweet feeling clubs, that a child could hit straight.....unfortunately, I'm no longer a child, so that theory didn't work for me.....but I'm sure a child could hit them straight. Got the 4-PW. That works, since it seems like I rarely pull the 3I out of the bag any more. Don't know why, but it seems like I can overswing a low-hit 4, and get about the same distance as the 3, only with a little better accuracy. Anymore, if I'm that far out, I'd just as soon hit the 5W, if at all possible -- and since we're still on winter rules, I'll take my fluff and hit the 5W. Lacking a 3I will leave me more room for wedges, anyway.

Met my friends up in the boonies in Washington this weekend, at a place called Yelm. They have this course in the middle of town that's pretty deece. These folks charged us $19 a head for 18.....with a cart. I misunderstood the guy, and kept trying to hand him more money. Don't know what you guys across the country pay for a budget round, but $19 with cart is about half what I generally pay for a hacker course(I never drive a cart unless they throw it in, or if I have an extraordinary amount of beer to haul, but I'm kind of a gimp lately, so what-the-hey). Place was pretty darned well-maintained, to boot. Big thumb's up for the Yelm golf course, whatever it was called. My MADGAME bud has a blown-up shoulder, but he wanted to golf. So, I guess he had the doc shoot up his shoulder with some shit a day or two before. He had to back way off his swing, and wasn't feeling too great about it. Fucker even bogied the first hole. Oh....did I mention he's pretty MADGAMED? He had a couple of bad breaks, and even whiffed a couple of fairway shots(NEVER happens). Dude had some bad luck, for sure.......keeping him to a 69.

Someday.....someday.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Dude had some bad luck, for sure.......keeping him to a 69.
I've played with guys like that, and it's frustrating as hell. One of my old golfing buds and a guy that I used to play a lot of softball with played last September and it was truly an amazing thing to watch.

The guy is simply one of the best all around athletes I've ever seen. Had a lot of looks from professional baseball teams until he blew his knee out in his senior year in high school. I have no doubt he could have done very well--he is that athletically talented.

So I hadn't seen him in about 5 years when ran into him at the store one day. We catch up on family, friends, etc. then he brings up golf. He tells me he's been thinking about taking golf back up after having given it up for 3+ years. Told me he hadn't picked up a club in that time, and trust me the guy is honest as the day is long--if he said it, it's the truth.

So I invite him to play with me and another friend of mine out at one of the nicer/difficult courses in the area the next Saturday. Well, I'm sure you can see this coming, but to make a long story short he takes about 15 minutes hitting range balls, 10 minutes chipping, 5 minutes putting and proceeds to go out and shoot a 70 on a par 72 course. And that was from the back tees. The course plays at 6,925 yds from the tips. I still love telling people that story--I've played along time and that is still the most impressive thing I've ever seen.

Anywho, so as not to risk the wrath of an over zealous mod I shall return to the topic at hand.

Driver-Cobra SZ 440 w/Fujikara Speeder Shaft Stiff
3 Wood-R580 Taylor Made Taylor S Graphite
7 Wood-R580 Taylor Made Taylor S Graphite
3-SW-McGregor Forged cavity back irons regular shaft
54 and 58 degree Titleist Vokey Wedges regular shafts
Scotty Cameron Terylium Newport II

I switched to regular flex shafts on my irons about 3 years ago due to a decrease in my swing speed, and have never hit the ball better. I still prefer stiff shafts on the woods--it helps to control my tempo.
get out, get out while there's still time
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Nickent Genex 425 9* r
old Bobby Jones Callaway 4 wood r
Nicklaus Air Max 7 wood steel

Ram FX o/s Forged 4-5 iron graph r
Ram FX Pro-Set 6-gap graph s

(don't laugh about the Rams-->i bought'em for $10/club).

Macgregor VIP SW steel
Ping L'il B belly putter

i can shoot 90 anywhere....if i'm able..errr...allowed.... to Play!

you boyz should line UP to buy Hybrid Clubs--->3-4 irons are screwed.

golf shop mgr. is out
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Did I mention my bud was just freaking wasted off his ass at the time, too?

One of my best buds plays with some Ram pro forged blade thingies(not sure which model....I've got his old SW, as a matter of fact). He gets some crazy good results out of them. I belive those clubs are about to be replaced.....with another set of Rams. Far be it for me to laugh.

Felix, for clarification -- you carry the McGregor SW in addition to the Titleist 54? I know a couple of golfers that rant and rave about those Titleist wedges. The rest seem to dig the Cleavelands. Really funny thing is, my all-time favorite wedge(disappeared with my bag, too) was this piece-of-dooky 55 degree Northwestern.....I think it was a Sam Snead model.....really lightweight head with the super-duper rounded blade(nice terminology, eh?), a steel shaft, and a hasn't-been-worth-a-shit-since-Ford-was-president grip(with duct tape....OF COURSE). Damn, I could control that sucker. Left nicer ones sitting at home. Even when my gimpy ass is stinking it up, I could use that POS to save me from humiliation. I miss it, and will find something else I like. I guess the really funny part is that technically, the club wasn't even mine. Through funny circumstance, I was without a SW one day, so my friend dug one out of one of his Dad's old sets. I doubt he was going to come looking for it anytime soon, but it's funny on principle. I used that sucker for years.

Speaking of......you guys like cavity back wedges, or blades? I kinda tend to prefer a cavity back for the 50, and a blade for anything else. And the more rounded the SW is, the better I seem to be able to control the trajectory and speed. Thoughts?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Qbert wrote:
Dude who works at the little hacker course we call home was just showing off his brand-new Titleist. I think it was a 15 degree. He loved it....so far. See how he feels after he whiffs a couple. If it doesn't end up in the lake, I'll take his word for it.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: Felix, for clarification -- you carry the McGregor SW in addition to the Titleist 54? I know a couple of golfers that rant and rave about those Titleist wedges.
Yeah Dins, the SW is strictly a sand club. It has a high bounce and allows me to float the ball out of the sand, even from partially buried lies. The 54 degree Vokey is one of the single best investments I've ever made. First time I ever hit it was from about 60 yards out and stuck it to about 3 feet. I said "yep, that'll do" :lol: I play with a lot of guys that prefer the Cleveland wedges. I've hit them and they're very similar to the Vokey. I think really its just a matter of which look you prefer.
Really funny thing is, my all-time favorite wedge(disappeared with my bag, too) was this piece-of-dooky 55 degree Northwestern.....
:shock: I carried the same exact wedge for about 4 years. It was a great club. Money spent does not translate to how well one wields a particular club.
Speaking of......you guys like cavity back wedges, or blades? I kinda tend to prefer a cavity back for the 50, and a blade for anything else. And the more rounded the SW is, the better I seem to be able to control the trajectory and speed. Thoughts?
Well the McGregor SW is cavity back and the Vokey's are blades, so I'm not really sure I have a preference. But again, the McGregor SW is strictly a sand club, so I guess I'd probably say I prefer the blades. The rounding or "bounce" of the club has a lot to do with being able to control the shot. The Northwestern wedges have a lot of bounce.
Qbert wrote:

golf shop mgr. is out
Way ahead of you Q, my next investment

Hit a couple of different hybrids last year and found I liked the Taylor best. Holy shit, I must be turning into a Taylor Made guy. :o
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I must correct myself. The hybrid that dude was showing of was, in fact, a Taylor Made. My bad.
First time I ever hit it was from about 60 yards out and stuck it to about 3 feet.
That'll sell you on a club awfully quick, eh? Reminds me of when I got my new set of Prostaff woods last year(also gone now). The 3 and 5 were cool, but I'm used to a lomger shaft than what the driver had, but I figured I'd give it a whirl, and I could always go back to my cheapy that wasn't the hardest-hitting driver ever, but was pretty darn forgiving. My first round with them was at the aforementioned hacker course we play so often, at which the first two holes are short, but severe doglegs, which obviously render the driver useless(although you can hit trhe first green with a 5W, you're in big trouble if you miss), and the third is a very short par 3. So we come to #4, and I bust out my shiney new driver. Just got it -- hadn't taken it to the range, hadn't even swung it -- just peeled the plastic off and threw it in the bag. So I take one practice swing, and it's bombs away on the short 307 yard par 4, which has an elevated green, like all the rest on the course, and pretty much every other green in this part of the state, which makes them playable in winter. Anyhoo, I tee it up, grip it, and in very Dinsdalian fashion, grossly overswing. Stuck that bitch right on the fringe, bumped her up, and knocked her in. Subsequent drives of that quality were few and far between with that club.....but I'm sure none of you can relate to that.

I figured I had the world's coolest driver at that point.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: That'll sell you on a club awfully quick, eh?
If it didn't the second shot did.

Holed it from a grass bunker roughly 20 yards off the green.

For some reason, that club just fits my game-that's why I bought the second. Haven't had as many good shots with it as I have with the first one, but then I haven't practiced with it as much either.

God damn I hate practicing...............

Don't get me started Dins.......... :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: God damn I hate practicing...............
That's what $8 hacker courses are for. Although hopefully, I don't get more than about 40 practice shots out of the deal. Lately, I seem to be getting more than my money's worth though.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Scored a copper-berillium(sp?) Ram 55 degree. Why didn't I have one of these before? What a sweet feel on the short/soft shots. I'd never played with the copper-berillium deal before.

Check it out, if you haven't. Big difference in feel.