Diversity in Nextel Cup Racing?

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Diversity in Nextel Cup Racing?

Post by War Wagon »

Don't know if they'll ever be much of that, but RACK! Bill Lester for his 19th fastest qualifying effort at Atlanta. This guy has definitely paid his dues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lester 'overwhelmed' after qualifying effort.

NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series driver Bill Lester became the first black driver in 20 years to qualify for a Nextel Cup race on Friday as he sensationally led the list of drivers not guaranteed a starting spot for Sunday's Golden Corral 500.

In his first attempt at a Nextel Cup race, 45 year-old Lester placed his #23 Bill Davis Racing Dodge 19th on the Bud Pole qualifying chart, easily claiming one of only seven available grid slots for drivers whose teams aren't among the top 35 in owner points.

Lester, who has three career Truck poles to his credit, out qualified reigning series champion Tony Stewart as well as former champions Matt Kenseth and Dale Jarrett, fan favourite Dale Earnhardt Jr and his two BDR teammates, Dave Blaney and Michael Waltrip.

"It's overwhelming," said Lester. "This is really the culmination of a dream I've had to race in professional motor sports. My wife believed in me when she let me pursue this dream to make it happen. Since then there's been trials and tribulations, but I wasn't complete because I wasn't doing what I wanted to do with my life I'm doing something here that a lot of people didn't think I could do. I'm so happy that Bill Davis believed in me and that Waste Management decided to get behind me. It means a lot to me."

Willy T Ribbs was the last African American driver to start a Cup Series race, starting three races for the DiGard team during the 1986 season with a best finish of 22nd. After successfully making it through the Bud Pole qualifying gauntlet, Lester can now set about trying to improve on that mark.

"The run was good," he added. "I was apprehensive not knowing exactly what I had. In practice the track was very slick and I had no grip from the centre of the corner off, but my crew chief said not to worry and I trusted him. The laps were good and I didn't leave anything on the table. That was the best I could do with that car. I wouldn't change a thing."

Even though his 29.102secs lap seemed like a safe bet from the outset, the fact that Lester qualified eleventh of 52 cars meant that there were still plenty of nervous moments during the session.

"There was definitely some nail biting going on there," he added. "There's no guarantee. They said I ran a good time, but I didn't know if it was going to stick. I was hopeful my prayers and dreams would be answered, and they have been. I'm hoping this will open a lot of eyes and a few more doors in corporate America. I'm relieved. I just can't wait for Sunday.

"The good thing is I had the Craftsman Truck programme to worry about, so the good thing is I'm just a focused on the truck series as Cup qualifying. Having my parents and my pregnant wife here has really put everything in perspective, but when I put that helmet on, it's all business.

"I talk to Dave Blaney and Johnny Benson on occasion and they've given me some tips. The person I've leaned on the most is my crew chief, and we've had a great connection so far. I believe in him 110% and he believes in me.

"The biggest issue has been the age issue, but fortunately I don't look or act my age. I'm pleased that those doubting Thomases are a little bit in the situation of re-evaluating the statements they made. There are always people who don't believe in you, but if I listened to those people, I wouldn't be where I am today.

"Willy T. Ribbs and I spent a whole lot of time together when I was in San Jose and Oakland, and I was struggling in my tech career trying to get out of it and he was struggling with his open-wheel career. Then he made his mark in NASCAR and the Truck series. For whatever reason we don't talk anymore, and I think that's unfortunate. I think Willy has a different career he's following and I wish him the best. What he's done to inspire me has been invaluable."
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

A heartwarming story. Congrats to him.

:D
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

One black driver and the word diversity is being thrown around? :lol:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Considering that there hasn't been one in twenty years, I'd say it's a start. Wouldn't you?

Sorry Diego, there's no magic wand that anyone can wave and instantly create a cadre of qualified Black race car drivers just to fit into seats.

They have to come up the hard way, just like Bill Lester. I hope he inspires a multitude of kids so that one day this won't even be an issue.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

I agree that it's a start. But it's waaaay to early to be using the word "diversity" to describe NASCAR drivers.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Nary a post in the motor forums ever and THIS brought DiddlingKindergatners in Seattle in here?

Go back to RomperRoom, dumbass.

RACK the 9 car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Diego in Seattle wrote:I agree that it's a start. But it's waaaay to early to be using the word "diversity" to describe NASCAR drivers.
"Diversity" is a bullshit buzzword term Diego, and I used it for a reason. I see that you've latched onto that word and are trying to run with it...and Din's thinks I suck at trolling. :wink:

The reason is what I stated above. Despite NASCAR's, the ACLU's, and the Congressional Black Caucus best intentions, there is no magic wand that can be waved to instantly integrate redneck motorsports.

That's Just the Way It Is.

Doesn't mean it will always be this way, and maybe somebody like a Bill Lester is a freaking pioneer that will open doors for other's down the road, just like a Jackie Robinson.

That's why I think this man's story is remarkable.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

rozy wrote:Nary a post in the motor forums ever and THIS brought DiddlingKindergatners in Seattle in here?
Yo, rozy...I'm striving for some "diversity" here. :D
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:The reason is what I stated above. Despite NASCAR's, the ACLU's, and the Congressional Black Caucus best intentions, there is no magic wand that can be waved to instantly integrate redneck motorsports.
The best thing they could do is have more than 7 open spots a week. But we all know that's not happening.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

War Wagon wrote:
rozy wrote:Nary a post in the motor forums ever and THIS brought DiddlingKindergatners in Seattle in here?
Yo, rozy...I'm striving for some "diversity" here. :D
Looks like you're getting some.....what with rozy here to represent the retarded.