Pat LaFontaine goes into the rafters this evening

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Pat LaFontaine goes into the rafters this evening

Post by The Rat Pack »

Good for you, Pat.

Although ... His biggest goal was as an Islander.

I know his hero was Gilbert Perreult...and to be going up next to him has to be very special. Rack that good old American boy.
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm having a brain cramp...was it LaFontaine or Pierre Turgeon that Dale Hunter gave the cheap shot after scoring a goal in the playoffs several years back?

La-La-La-LaFontaine!
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

That was Pierre Turgeon.

Cheap shot is open for interpretation.
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

It was Turgeon.
Still a FlameFan
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

I guess the trivia is who gave La-la-la-la-Fontaine is career ending concussion?
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

OK, I cheated and googled it, but LaFontaine's sixth and last concussion of his NHL career was due to a collision with Mike Keane, his teammate with the Rangers at the time.

Is it just me, or have concussion injuries seemed to be less common in the last 3 or 4 years?
Still a FlameFan
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

I don't know about that..

Keith Primeau is out for the season. That's huge.
Carlo Cocacola had a nasty one.

Anymore?
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Only was a Sabre for 5 years, I assume this means that Mogilny goes up there as well eventually?

I will be watching that tonight.

Damn CI, they are showing the TSN Leafs homer feed....poor coverage of the retirement of Lafontaine's jersey.

"If a Leaf scores 5 goals, one lucky viewer will win $1,000,000." Good luck on that ever happening! :lol:
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Born in the 314

take a look at his Junior stats! eyepopping!
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Cross Traffic wrote:"If a Leaf scores 5 goals, one lucky viewer will win $1,000,000." Good luck on that ever happening! :lol:
That contest is on all Canadian team broadcasts on Sportsnet... it's been going on for at least 6 years or so, and only once have I seen it in jeopardy.

I think baseball players hit for the cycle more frequently than NHL players score 5 in a game.
Still a FlameFan
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

No highlights from Pat's career, but homer Leaf station finds it fit to show highlight's from Domi's previous 999 games. :roll:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The Rat Pack wrote:That was Pierre Turgeon.

You're not trying to say that hit wasn't cheap are you?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

One of the most disgusting acts in the history of the modern NHL, hated Hunter from that day forward.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

It certainly wasn't as bad as many made it out to be.

It definitely didn't deserve a 21 game suspension. Talk about overkill.

The fact remains that Turgeon didn't miss any games because of it. He made it back in time to get punked by Montreal in the playoffs.

Turgeon was rubbing it the opponents face...and he paid the price. That's just hockey.

Cross traffic, get over yourself. I can think of at least 25 different incidents far worse than Hunter pushing Turgeon to the ground.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Rat Pack wrote:Cheap shot is open for interpretation.

Checking a guy from behind after he scores a goal is a cheap shot. I know Hunter is your boy but you can't tell that wasn't a cheap shot. I think Turgeon ended up with a seperated shoulder after that too.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Cross Traffic wrote:Only was a Sabre for 5 years, I assume this means that Mogilny goes up there as well eventually?

I will be watching that tonight.
We feel ripped off.

Sin,

Jim Schoenfeld
Jim Lorentz
Don Luce
Craig Ramsay
Lindy Ruff
Jerry Korab
Mike Foligno
Larry Playfair

I expect to have my jersey retired next season.
-Dave Andreychuck

Lafontaine was a good player but did his sweater merit retiring?
No.
BrantfordBudFan
Crack Whore

Post by BrantfordBudFan »

JD wrote:OK, I cheated and googled it, but LaFontaine's sixth and last concussion of his NHL career was due to a collision with Mike Keane, his teammate with the Rangers at the time.

Is it just me, or have concussion injuries seemed to be less common in the last 3 or 4 years?
They are called upper body injuries now.
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

MuchoBulls wrote:
The Rat Pack wrote:That was Pierre Turgeon.

You're not trying to say that hit wasn't cheap are you?
You ask this of a Crapitals fan.

Think about that for a moment.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Turgeon after the hit was NEVER the same player he was before the Hunter incident.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Cross Traffic wrote:Turgeon after the hit was NEVER the same player he was before the Hunter incident.
He played 13 more seasons! He had 58 goals when Hunter taught him his lesson. The chances of him ever repeating that were slim & none. Let's remember that he only dislocated a shoulder.....that's hardly a career changing injury. ...and he was lights out the very next season. His role was diminished with Montreal, St. Loo & Dallas. You can't blame that on the Hunter hit.

Anyway, what sent him into decline was his alleged relationship with Stephane Richer. Both were allegedly caught in a gay Montreal club dressed in drag. ('96-'97)
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Undeniably a great player who, like Cam Neely, had his career tragically cut short by injury.

Unforutnately my lasting memory of him is getting demolished at the blue line, falling asleep before he hit the ice and spinning spread eagle into the corner.

sad

edit.......otis, stop acting the fool. #16 is synonymous with Pat LaFontaine. Jersey retired and a hall of famer.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Cross Traffic wrote:No highlights from Pat's career, but homer Leaf station finds it fit to show highlight's from Domi's previous 999 games. :roll:
Hmmm

Let's guess the 4 highlight's:

-Pretending he had a heavyweight belt in New York
-Philly fan falling into the penalty box
-His CHEAPSHOT on Neidermayer and thus tanking the Leafs playoff hopes
-Scoring his one & only shootout goal (during the pre-season)
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

al? wrote:Undeniably a great player who, like Cam Neely, had his career tragically cut short by injury.

Unforutnately my lasting memory of him is getting demolished at the blue line, falling asleep before he hit the ice and spinning spread eagle into the corner.

sad

edit.......otis, stop acting the fool. #16 is synonymous with Pat LaFontaine. Jersey retired and a hall of famer.
Was that the number he wore?
Thanks for letting us know..
See with other truely deserving hall of famers, everyone knows the number they wore.

You know, like
Gretzky 99
Lemieux 66
Howe 9
Brad Park number 2 or 22.
Tony Esposito 35
Darryl Sittler 27
Yvan Courneyeur 12
Bobby Orr 4
etc....

As for Lafontaine making it into the hall of fame.. well let's be honest here shall we... it's not exactly that difficult to get in there now is it.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Otis, the HOF was made for guys like LaFontaine. I'm not sure why you're taking a run at him...

I just glanced over his career bio...and it is more than solid. Today's game would have made his stats even more crazy. He was born a decade too early.

He was part of a great group of inductees.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Well given the standards of what it takes to get into the HOF, sure, I suppose he belongs in there.
But retiring a guys sweater for a team with which he only played 5 seasons... that's a bit much.

Hell, look at all of the great Habs whose sweaters aren't retired..

Even Borje Salming's sweater hasn't been retired by the Leafs..

All I'm saying is that Lafontaine wasn't that deserving on having that honour.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Well, you seem to be in a minority.

Now if Vancouver retires Messier......
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

The Rat Pack wrote:Well, you seem to be in a minority.

Now if Vancouver retires Messier......
Why stop there..

Let's have the Bruins retire Brad Park's sweater as well.

I mean, he did play 8 seasons there even though he'll always be remembered as a Ranger..

Or what about Rick Middleton.. dude was nails..
He had five straight seasons of 40-plus goals and 90-plus points, and with the Bruins he had 427 goals and 551 assists
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

I have no problem with Boston retiring either of their numbers. What can I say... It's beyond my control.

I don't get what your point is? Buffalo is suppose to wait until other teams retire more numbers? Is there a list of criteria for retiring numbers? Please show me...

The guy was class for the Sabres. Wore the C for his entire stay in Buffalo... made it in the Hall way ahead of a lot of other worthy people... He has a Buffalo point record that ain't gonna be beat anytime soon. I also think his community work was second to none in the Buffalo area. He has left a legacy with his unselfish charity.

How unworthy of this guy..
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

The Rat Pack wrote:I have no problem with Boston retiring either of their numbers. What can I say... It's beyond my control.
But you would with the Canucks retiring Messiers then?
I don't get what your point is? Buffalo is suppose to wait until other teams retire more numbers? Is there a list of criteria for retiring numbers? Please show me...
The point is that except for true legends, I really don't think that numbers should be retired. Lafontaine played all of 5 seasons for the Sabres, it's not as if he spent his entire career or even the majority of it with them.
The guy was class for the Sabres. Wore the C for his entire stay in Buffalo... made it in the Hall way ahead of a lot of other worthy people...
Oh well that makes all the difference in the world.
He made it in ahead of a lot of other worthy people...
:roll:

He has a Buffalo point record that ain't gonna be beat anytime soon.
Thanks to Molgilny.. like Cross Traffic mentioned earlier in the thread.. when can we expect to see his jersey retired then?
I also think his community work was second to none in the Buffalo area. He has left a legacy with his unselfish charity.
Community work? Unselfish charity, damn Rat, you've just made the case for Tie Domi to have his number retired.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

I'm not breaking up this mess. I'm busy watching Heatley go nuts. So you'll just have to bear with it.
Otis wrote:
The Rat Pack wrote:I have no problem with Boston retiring either of their numbers. What can I say... It's beyond my control.
But you would with the Canucks retiring Messiers then?

I never said I would. Show me where I said that. I don't think Vancouver would be happy. They booed him in his first game.
The point is that except for true legends, I really don't think that numbers should be retired. Lafontaine played all of 5 seasons for the Sabres, it's not as if he spent his entire career or even the majority of it with them.

As you just said: Your opinion...as I said: Is in a minority. Are we really going to keep running around in circles? We could keep doing this for pages.
The guy was class for the Sabres. Wore the C for his entire stay in Buffalo... made it in the Hall way ahead of a lot of other worthy people...
Oh well that makes all the difference in the world.
He made it in ahead of a lot of other worthy people...
:roll:

Was that really worth a 'rolleyes'? Come on, Otis. It's like your in a snit. I'm just going to pretend that you didn't use a 'rolleye' and let you edit that pap out at your convenience. Come on..
He has a Buffalo point record that ain't gonna be beat anytime soon.
Thanks to Molgilny.. like Cross Traffic mentioned earlier in the thread.. when can we expect to see his jersey retired then?

I have no idea. Certainly not while he's still an active player.
I also think his community work was second to none in the Buffalo area. He has left a legacy with his unselfish charity.
Community work? Unselfish charity, damn Rat, you've just made the case for Tie Domi to have his number retired.
That's if you're foolish enough not to add up all of the ingredients that make a player. Dumi may just be a charitable person of LaFontaine's calibre.... I doubt that... But he's not even in the same planet as to the accomplishments that Pat achieved. That comment actually shows that maybe I'm wasting my time in this thread. Snits I don't need.

You lost me on the last comment. oy

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate all the solids you've done for me. But I doubt we're going to change opinions on this.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Domi should go to the hall of fame, and he should have his number retired.

You better enjoy it, it'll be the only banner being raised in Toronto in the forseeable future.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Otis, if I saw you making this stink when Colorado retired Bourque's number, fine, but I can't recall it so I think you'd be OK to STFU this time.
Still a FlameFan
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:Domi should go to the hall of fame, and he should have his number retired.
I just wish Domi would retire, period.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.